Food glorious food - What are you eating

A good baked apple starts with choosing the right sort of apple, a sort with high acid and don't getting too soft while baking: I prefer a Boskop or a Holsteiner Cox. Without kids we placed the raisins some hours before in spiced wine. There are also variants of baked apples close to Himmel und Erde ( Heaven and Earth ) Without kids we placed the raisins some hours before in spiced wine.

At Himmel und Erde you do dices from apples (heaven) und potatoe (earth) and boil and mash them, serve with roasted onions and roasted blood sausage. You can replace the apple part with a baked apple:

1280px-2019-12-19-Gef%C3%BCllter_Apfel_B

1126px-2016-01-03_Himmel_und_Erde_anagor

Nearly 10 years ago, ice cream with baked apple taste

🐘 have a good brain.

• Appreciation 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

A good baked apple starts with choosing the right sort of apple, a sort with high acid and don't getting too soft while baking: I prefer a Boskop or a Holsteiner Cox. Without kids we placed the raisins some hours before in spiced wine. There are also variants of baked apples close to Himmel und Erde ( Heaven and Earth ) Without kids we placed the raisins some hours before in spiced wine.

At Himmel und Erde you do dices from apples (heaven) und potatoe (earth) and boil and mash them, serve with roasted onions and roasted blood sausage. You can replace the apple part with a baked apple:

1280px-2019-12-19-Gef%C3%BCllter_Apfel_B

1126px-2016-01-03_Himmel_und_Erde_anagor

Nearly 10 years ago, ice cream with baked apple taste

🐘 have a good brain.

I enjoyed reading how to improve the quality of this baked deliciousness :drool:  Chattius, the raisins she used were not marinated but they were definitely the best part of the apple for me. :D  She said its basically going to be apple sauce, but the texture, shape, small and process were delightful and I hope she does it for Christmas again

Family was talking about cortland apples, how they get less mushy and apparently are the first choice for cooking apples, but theyve never been such a favorite of mine, im mostly a red delicious 

red-delicions-with-shadow.png

:D

gogo

Hmm, for a Bratapfel as a x-mas delicatess; vanilla sauce is a must.  Also all the spices which make x-mas, anis, cinnamon, cloves, ... Also the marinating wine for the raisins has these spices.

For the apples: I would never choose the apples I like to eat unprepared for baked apples. They are sold fresh and good looking. Better are the apples which could be stored up to may in old times in a cellar. We have, I think, 17 apple sorts: for directing eating good looking sweet ones , small ones with ot of tannin for cider, apples which could be stored in the cellar till may, for baby food, ...

Our oldest studied arboristic and was planting like 1000 small apple plants to be sold once reaching 6 feet. Luckily you talk with me and not her about apples ;)

State pays some money if helping to keep the old local variants alive, like the Siebenschläfer (named after a dormouse which sleeps 7 month a year). It gets leaves and blossoms very very late in the year and so isn''t affected by our late frost periods. The Siebenschläfer is like a Jack of all trades, not the best for direct eating, storing only? up to february, cider is getting a bit to sweet (adding sorbus fruits helps), ... But if a family has just one tree in the garden at our climate, it is a consideration.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

yes... dont throw things at me just yet but... mcdonalds actually has good coffee! And...when it goes on sale for 20 bux for thirty cups...thats like a whole lotta goodness come cheap

3F6E8DB8-3C36-4B99-B7B6-C145D02A4A31-COLLAGE.jpg

okay... now start throwing things

:lol:

gogo

I throw a 'Comandante C40 MK4 Nitro Blade Red Sonja Handmühle' (*). My wife has an older model. Don't tell her that I got it for just (?) 149€ visiting a kitchen tool exhibition in summer after an invitation of a manufacturer who buys special metals from our company.

Hand or electric at work

Expresso machine if you mainly do hectic telephon calls in an office and just have no time

Hand grinder is if you want to get some distance to reconsider something, for me mathematical approaches. In case of my wife showing a patient that she will spend some time in getting all the facts in an medical interview.

(*) in a hidden box for x-mas.

The red model, well the porcelan filter is blue, the coffee box yellow and the can green... So it had to be red again :)

• Like! 1

Here she is ... my strong Ammamma who I got to visit yesterday... with lots to say about my choice of Burger King nuggets instead of Mcdonalds... almost not enough to get her out of bed, but once that sack of newtechnology flavored french fries and gravy chips was opened, that gleam in her eyes shines

IMG_2474.jpg

Speaking about chips:

Fatfree apple chips, quince chips, pear chips,...

salted, salt and pepper, chilli, african spices,...

Lot of variants and the whole house smells for fruits and spices

Some years back I build a Grundkachelofen into our staircase, The warm air is lead through a labyrinth of heat storing stones. In our case the stones are the stairway steps. We can open some small doors to dry fruits or make chips or whatever. Was mainly planed as a backup in case of a blackout but the burning flames look nice at cold winter days and we can make chips while the oven runs.

grundkachelofen.jpg

• Like! 1
15 hours ago, chattius said:

Speaking about chips:

Fatfree apple chips, quince chips, pear chips,...

salted, salt and pepper, chilli, african spices,...

Lot of variants and the whole house smells for fruits and spices

Some years back I build a Grundkachelofen into our staircase, The warm air is lead through a labyrinth of heat storing stones. In our case the stones are the stairway steps. We can open some small doors to dry fruits or make chips or whatever. Was mainly planed as a backup in case of a blackout but the burning flames look nice at cold winter days and we can make chips while the oven runs.

grundkachelofen.jpg

Love all the trapways and stairways .. and the idea of heating it through a labyrinth … 

👍👍👍

gogo

The funny thing is: our house is under cultural heritage. And it is mid in a forest with above ground powerlines. At storms we often had blackouts when a tree was falling on the lines. So I wanted a non electric backup heating, A wooden staircase was there and I was allowed to made it from stone without touching walls.  But to get all the papers because of cultural heritage, took years. So meanwhile I had a backup for the backup...

Wood gas made from wood pellets drive a Blockheizkraftwerk in the attached barn. It is a combined heat and power plant, the burning gas produces heat and drives a generator. In summer the excess heat is pumped into an underground heat storage.

I got some 50% of the money from state because I allow 2 weekends a year students in environment technology to look at my crazy ideas.

Solar cells are not possible because the house is half build into the hill and only the veranda in the sun.

And the food for tomorrow when the baking house is heated: Scholes

Potato cut in fine stripes, same with leek and onions. Add some eggs and spices. All put on a plate, cover it with slices from blood sausage, salami or do dices and put them in the dough,,,, serve with mashed apples

Can do it I nan oven too with special pans.

Dippelabbeas_hg-1.jpg

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, chattius said:

The funny thing is: our house is under cultural heritage. And it is mid in a forest with above ground powerlines. At storms we often had blackouts when a tree was falling on the lines. So I wanted a non electric backup heating, A wooden staircase was there and I was allowed to made it from stone without touching walls.  But to get all the papers because of cultural heritage, took years. So meanwhile I had a backup for the backup...

Wood gas made from wood pellets drive a Blockheizkraftwerk in the attached barn. It is a combined heat and power plant, the burning gas produces heat and drives a generator. In summer the excess heat is pumped into an underground heat storage.

I got some 50% of the money from state because I allow 2 weekends a year students in environment technology to look at my crazy ideas.

Solar cells are not possible because the house is half build into the hill and only the veranda in the sun.

And the food for tomorrow when the baking house is heated: Scholes

Potato cut in fine stripes, same with leek and onions. Add some eggs and spices. All put on a plate, cover it with slices from blood sausage, salami or do dices and put them in the dough,,,, serve with mashed apples

Can do it I nan oven too with special pans.

Dippelabbeas_hg-1.jpg

Looks good!

Ive never even read that profile before, and its exciting to imagine

I dont eat potatoes or rice often (diabetes) so seeing this puts the smile and cravings on 

:drool:

gogo

Visited some friends last night to get my hat and scarf i left after a big wine, sausage and italian wedding soup evening :drunkards: and didnt want to show up at the door with nothing in hand (how boorish! :lol:
Went up the street to THE best french bakers in Montreal and was absolutely delighted by the service, knowledge and enthusiasm by the young lad ( who was i believe a manager in waiting). He knew everything about every product and in fact motivated me to buy (through his enthusiasm!) a delicious, never seen before type of dripping with butter pastry... beignet de creme brulee... 
Creme Brulee Donut.. with an  unconscionably cruel amount of butter...
I can only imagine...
Its vending experiences like this that protect human jobs and celebrate humanity's value.  
Go us! :D

CIMG_2506 Copy.jpg277F80AB-D1B2-4FC0-843B-915AED6C4B47.jpgIMG_2507.jpgIMG_2511.jpg

Bravo Duc du lorraine!

keep up with The Brand

:)

gogo

Scholes, Dippelappes, Dulges, ... Poor men food, at countryside nearly every non farmer (taylors, teachers, ...) had a small field with potatoe, onions, leek, ... and a pig got all the rests from making lunch and got fat this way. In the garden was normally an appletree. So people had all what was needed for these meals at home.

41 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I dont eat potatoes or rice often (diabetes) so seeing this puts the smile and cravings on 

gogo

Speaking about rice, I often replace it with Grünkern. It has a glycemic index of around 55 compared to rice with 70++. Also better on fibres and minerals. A recipe in english:

https://ellerepublic.de/en/gruenkern-pilaf-with-spinach-chickpeas/

Don't know how expensive it is on the other side of the atlantic, here it is 4-7€ per kilogramm. 4€ at farm supply, 7€ delicatesse part of supermarket.

Gruenkern-Pilaw-mit-Spinat-und-Kichererb

Grünkern with chickpeas look like rice with them or?

43 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Visited some friends last night to get my hat and scarf I left after a big wine, sausage and italian wedding soup evening :drunkards: and didnt want to show up at the door with nothing in hand (how boorish! :lol:
Went up the street to THE best french bakers in Montreal and was absolutely delighted by the service, knowledge and enthusiasm by the young lad ( who was I believe a manager in waiting). He knew everything about every product and in fact motivated me to buy (through his enthusiasm!) a delicious, never seen before type of dripping with butter pastry... beignet de creme brulee... 
Creme Brulee Donut.. with an  unconscionably cruel amount of butter...
I can only imagine...
Its vending experiences like this that protect human jobs and celebrate humanity's value.  
Go us! :D

CIMG_2506 Copy.jpg277F80AB-D1B2-4FC0-843B-915AED6C4B47.jpgIMG_2507.jpgIMG_2511.jpg

Bravo Duc du lorraine!

keep up with The Brand

gogo

I grew up with Quarkbällchen (recipe) from my grandma instead donuts. My grandma fried them in pork lard so they had a taste spices like cinnamon would ruin. Just a bit sugar on them. Again: quark cheese and pork lard were selfmade and way cheaper than sunflower oil before mass production industry started.

2014_17_01_Rezept_Quarkb%C3%A4llchen_Car

• Like! 1

fried butter noodles with beef and mushrooms

gawd, butter just makes everything taste perfect right?

Definitely not the most nutritious thing I've ever made... but REALLY tasty

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

butter, noodles, salt, butter, beef, mushrooms and butter to top it off with

gogo

7 hours ago, gogoblender said:

fried butter noodles with beef and mushrooms

gawd, butter just makes everything taste perfect right?

Definitely not the most nutritious thing I've ever made... but REALLY tasty

IMG_2605.jpg

IMG_2606.jpg

butter, noodles, salt, butter, beef, mushrooms and butter to top it off with

gogo

Read the post about Grünkern as possible rice replacement when having diabetis?

---

For this type of noodle pan I prefer selfmade Spätzle, better control of amount of eggs , flour, salt and perhaps added vegs and cheese. Granny got it from her granny who came from Alsace region. Wood selling ancestors found there wives from german speaking places spread over whole europe it seems.

Pot with boiling water , the Spätzle dough as a thin layer on a wooden Spätle board, and then the dough is scraped as thin stripes into the water.

800px-Spaetzleschaben_a2_21.10.2011_19-5

english recipe: caramelized-onion-bacon-spaetzle

Spaetzle-recipe.jpg

• Appreciation 1

We went to the mall, wee bit up the street, and they have... oh, hurrah, and seeming to be one of the last... A FOOD MALL!!  :bounce: .. Covid seems to have eaten up a lot of indoor restaurants who who starved with no traffic.. but this little guy working hard in the mall basement is able to create dishes from all parts of south east asia... my favorite is the curry shrimp with veggies and rice... soon as i walk into the mall my stomach starts grumbling

11.42 CAD tax in ...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa  :cow:

IMG_2572.jpg

Saturday the first harvest from my new garden: rosmarin, baby violets, forest strawberries, ... Just in time for my and the one and a half birthday of the twins.

Two month back there was an auction at a restaurant which went into bankruptcy - covid and too special, too few guests. I always liked their fresh vegs. But I was the only one who gave the minimum offer for one of their indoor gardens: 1000€ ( I think new it was more than ten times). It sucks up lot of electric power for the water pumps and light. So the vegs wouldn't be cheaper than from the market. But in my case: we produce power in summer with solar cells and in winter with a block mini power plant: wood turned into wood gas, the gas drives a generator while cooling of the generator heats the house. And the wood is free,

Lot of discussions with my wife because we have a very big garden and I went to the auction for some kitchen tools and not a garden. The beast looks like this and got its place at the mini powerplant. It has its own light afterall and it is just behind the backdoor of the kitchen.

Commercial%20Cultivator-500x500.jpg

Our second and her fiancee now consider a mini indoor garden for their appartment in Frankfurt. Should be stylish, hip, cool, ..and USEFUL. These indoor garden ideas pop out like the mushrooms in my forest. This thing looks nice once the plants have a certain size. But I bet when they are harvested you could look as good at a washing machine. Probably it needs carefully planing in planting and harvesting that there are no ugly holes.

Indoor gardening systems for home seem to spam from 50€ to 3000€+.

• Like! 1

that indoor garden is very sharp; looking.  We've had countless failures in our place... not enough light I guess, but looking at that construct is motiviating :) As well.. so is your list of ingredients!

rosmarin, baby violets, forest strawberries

That's a distinct profile for me... baby violets! :drool: 

gogo

12 hours ago, gogoblender said:

that indoor garden is very sharp; looking.  We've had countless failures in our place... not enough light I guess, but looking at that construct is motiviating :) As well.. so is your list of ingredients!

That's a distinct profile for me... baby violets! :drool: 

gogo

The first filling was with seeds which were given with the 'Beast'. Baby violets were used by the restaurant for decorations. We ordered some seeds: my wife votes for vitamin bombs in winter and for vegs like chili where our normal garden is in the wrong climate for summer. Two trays are for my experiments for stuff like bear garlic where people have no experiments or at least aren't posting them.

There are small systems like the Bosch, which allows wall mounting. But I would say these are too small with more than two persons. But the technic used is good explained: How the auto-watering and the adaptable light works. Many glasshouse vegs from supermarket have constant light and therefor less vitamins.

This was the final argument my wife convinced ;)

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

With the good ole holidays now nearing to their ending, the rich foods we say good bye to! :viking: (though they were kind of yummy) .. 

More Salad!

Raw spinach, tomatoes, slicked stir fried raw beef and onions... quick lunch yesterday .. I love slicing the beef from almost frozen, you can get really thin slices

IMG_3114.jpg

gogo

Close do the Döner the twins like to eat while waiting for the train home from school? Ever since our first I have an agreement with the döner restaurant that the kids can make their homework in the hour waiting for the train there and I pay him monthly. I played soccer with the owner when I was younger.

doener-kebab-1024x814.jpg

Or the low carb variant more aas a salade:

doener-teller_portrait.jpg?itok=EYy9j9UH

Ammamma is slooooowly getting more old.  Sometimes I just like to visit and pop in with a "feeling" instead of getting her to eat stuff shes not not interested in.  This latest trend is ... you got it, chips! And Lays (maybe my favorite potato chip company) has been putting out exciting flavors. We dont really have a scent or profile like this last bag, and Ammamma goes gonzo scent direct out of the bag and the two delicious textures of primary crisp and then easy mouth-melt

here's to roast chicken!

IMG_3148.jpg

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

It was 10.99 for the daily pizza yesterday but... was veggie, which Schot is a baby about :4rofl: ... we've been living in the area for quite a while now and know the merchants... while the owner/manager at the Hut was fat first reluctant to do us any switch (as they rightfully should) we were irreisitable wth our negotiation in pointing out that a transformation from a vegetarian with all those expensive veggie toppings would save him money by changing it to a Pepperonnie!

And at last minute... guess what pops out of Oven.. wooooooooooooooo hooooooooo

IMG_3552.jpg

oh my

• 3 weeks later...

This looks good...but not too happy with the way the meat cooked.. a little too tough... it was cheap, and i can taste connective tissue and other non soft stuff through it.. i half froze it so i could get good thing slices...but still that flavor of a lower cut of meat got through..i may just try and melt/stew this whole thing into a sauce :D

gogo

IMG_4039.jpg

IMG_4045.jpg

69853862358__BBF43B74-7C95-4127-A0D8-F1A3D9ACEA6B.jpg