Food glorious food - What are you eating

On 2/24/2023 at 1:20 PM, Sirius said:

While we're on the subject of food, let me tell you a short story:
I was running out of money towards the end of the month and needed to eat whatever I had lying around.
This was potatoes, mushrooms, garlic, chilipeppers and sour cream. Can you see where this is going?

I plopped it all into a frying pan and put the heat on. 
It was sizzling nicely in there, and I felt like a master chef when I was done.
Hot and spicy from the garlic and peppers, tasty and thick from the potatoes and mushrooms, with extra volume added by the sour cream.
A nice dinner, right?

Except I forgot to mention that the potatoes were slightly.... off.
In fact, they were so far gone that they were as green as kiwis on the inside.
I don't know much about potatoes, but I've heard that they may contain some alkaloid toxins around the time they celebrate their birthday.

Needless to say, a couple of hours after I ate my frankenmeal, half my body turned pink and swollen. 

The worst part was the intense itching. Dear god, I had streaks of my fingernails running up and down over the pink areas of my skin

A while later it passed, or whatever toxins I naturally carry in my haywire system managed to combat and defeat the stuff trying to kill me.
So here I am, not having dared to buy a single potato since, and feeling just fine about it.

Check your 'taters folks, whether you boil 'em, mash 'em or stick 'em in a stew, if it's green - throw it in a bin.

You can learn from boars. They dig a potatoe field, but for worms not potatoes too close to the surface.

New potatoe variants contain far less solanine than the ones from 50 years ago. In war time at a diet mainly from potatoe solanine poisoning was quite common, even if they were not green. We store our potatoes in a clay cellar 4 metres below surface at constant temperature at around 9C and no light. Even when older than a year: (in old times only at misharvests) the potatoe variants specially chosen for long time storage don't produce much extra solanine in storage. Fast growing variants which are harvested 3 times a year produce solanine even if not in the sun or damaged.

We don't throw green potatoes away, we store them and use them as seed potato.

• Appreciation 1
On 3/1/2023 at 1:45 PM, chattius said:

One of our hens got a broken leg. Slaughtered to end the pain and put it in the fridge last week.

Today

Pearl barley, near raw Sauerkraut, sour cream (Schmand), leek, carrots, onions, garlic, chicken stripes, cheese...

all put into the field kitchen at firefighters and everyone from village came for his share ...

Don't ask me what exactly I was mixing together, I added stuff till all tasted good

:connie_witchy: and then :theuns:

1st march 2023 nearly all covid restriction removed today (at least in our state) and time for a village party

:d_dance:

Was anounced as spaghetti bolognese party, but a hot 'chicken and barley soup' was way better at this cold.

looking at your word bolognese... i usually dont eat pasta, shoots up my sugar and i usually eat too much :lol: but when mom was here we indulged ...she loves the stuff and we found this cool "mall" that has vendors set up mini versions of their larger restaurants all downtown..its called Time OUt Market, pretty fabulous, specially with big glasses of wine :crazy:

IMG_4525.jpgIMG_4528.jpg

IMG_4536.jpg

• Like! 1
On 3/9/2023 at 3:25 AM, chattius said:

Spaghetti Bolognese is a thing which can be easily done in large amounts in a field kitchen.

We sometimes mix Grünkern into the sauce. So it is more sauce than tagliatelle noodles (we use them at family dinner, field kitchen it are the cheaper spaghetti) on the table. Grünkern can replace rice if having problems with sugar.

German chefkoch.de has a lot of german recipes and pictures. I normally take the recipes just as an inspiration and use stuff we have in garden (bear garlic instead garlic for example) or can make ourself. See the 'corn' in the sauce? Grünkern is full of minerals and proteins and healthier than rice. This way the sauce satiates more and less noodles are needed to fight the hunger.

We did 20 pounds of Grünkern last year. Using the remaining heat of the baking house for drying. The spelt was harvested the old way with sickles to show schoolclasses how it was done in earlier times. Old people had a lot of fun doing it so it was a win-win.

gruenkern-bolognese.jpg

So Hungry, this day has dragged long and its time to finally fuel up... dang, Chattius, lol.. that pic is too good looking... if yer bolognese looks like that well be visiting soon.

Any need for unexperienced and poutine-addicted Canadians for work hands?

:4rofl:

gogo

11 hours ago, gogoblender said:

So Hungry, this day has dragged long and its time to finally fuel up... dang, Chattius, lol.. that pic is too good looking... if yer bolognese looks like that well be visiting soon.

Any need for unexperienced and poutine-addicted Canadians for work hands?

:4rofl:

gogo

Work-hands... Germany has still some apprentices in carpentry who do journeyman years. We call it being auf der Walz. I don't know if Americans know where Australia is. It is the very small stripe which marks the border between Austria and Italia :whistle:

The australian song 'Waltzing Matilda' is related to Walz, traveling workers who move from town to town in hope for work or to learn. The historical person the song is based on has roots in Germany. I think the song is more liked than the national anthem. Watching the video and everyone sings it...

We normally have 2-5 traveling workers dressed as in old times in a year for some weeks - learning how wooden patchwork was done in our region and which tools were used. The tree is old tradition when the wooden parts of the roof are done. We call it Richtfest (topping out)

Maskerade as one of them and you are welcome :)

_800_600.-4a42c8b1a04e67e3.jpg

As a student and university cafeteria closed at weekends we did it the quick way at our student home which had one kitchen for 8 people on a floor:

Bag of instant base bolognese, adding the roasted meat, heating some spaghetti...

Some weeks later we agreed to fresh extra tomato

Some weeks more: putting Grünkorn in the sauce for more fibres and minerals (fear sharing a floor with a student in Ecotrophology)

Final step was to only use fresh stuff, even the full grain(!) noodles were hand made - the student in ecotrophology was real hot and the boys on the floor couldn't say no.

Working hand in hand with 8 people from 4 countries , was quick with a lot of joking and exchanging recipes from different places. After 4 years everyone of us would have been able to earn his/her money with cooking. Well the ecotrophology-ess actually actually works in a laboratory, testing food from restaurants for bacteria and such.

No longer these bags...

large_1122dd41980a6ede3497999ae2cc575f.j

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, chattius said:

Work-hands... Germany has still some apprentices in carpentry who do journeyman years. We call it being auf der Walz. I don't know if Americans know where Australia is. It is the very small stripe which marks the border between Austria and Italia :whistle:

The australian song 'Waltzing Matilda' is related to Walz, traveling workers who move from town to town in hope for work or to learn. The historical person the song is based on has roots in Germany. I think the song is more liked than the national anthem. Watching the video and everyone sings it...

We normally have 2-5 traveling workers dressed as in old times in a year for some weeks - learning how wooden patchwork was done in our region and which tools were used. The tree is old tradition when the wooden parts of the roof are done. We call it Richtfest (topping out)

Maskerade as one of them and you are welcome :)

_800_600.-4a42c8b1a04e67e3.jpg

As a student and university cafeteria closed at weekends we did it the quick way at our student home which had one kitchen for 8 people on a floor:

Bag of instant base bolognese, adding the roasted meat, heating some spaghetti...

Some weeks later we agreed to fresh extra tomato

Some weeks more: putting Grünkorn in the sauce for more fibres and minerals (fear sharing a floor with a student in Ecotrophology)

Final step was to only use fresh stuff, even the full grain(!) noodles were hand made - the student in ecotrophology was real hot and the boys on the floor couldn't say no.

Working hand in hand with 8 people from 4 countries , was quick with a lot of joking and exchanging recipes from different places. After 4 years everyone of us would have been able to earn his/her money with cooking. Well the ecotrophology-ess actually actually works in a laboratory, testing food from restaurants for bacteria and such.

No longer these bags...

large_1122dd41980a6ede3497999ae2cc575f.j

I wished my more humbler blogless sauce had such grand and noble beginnings.

:heart:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Fried bread dough balls...

what can look similiar

indian puri - only few times at an indian restaurant

italian zeppole / zeppolini - one grandgrandma was from northern italy and it is still in the family recipe book, but heavily adapted to local taste. Using beef lard, bear garlic,...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fried_dough_foods

my restaurant owning classmate, former cook on a maritime research ship, does zeppolini with anchovy and algae in the dough, served with frutti di mare.

My guess would be puri with caraway. Caraway fights the heavy fat contains a bit.

• Like! 1
On 3/28/2023 at 9:34 AM, chattius said:

Fried bread dough balls...

what can look similiar

indian puri - only few times at an indian restaurant

italian zeppole / zeppolini - one grandgrandma was from northern italy and it is still in the family recipe book, but heavily adapted to local taste. Using beef lard, bear garlic,...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fried_dough_foods

my restaurant owning classmate, former cook on a maritime research ship, does zeppolini with anchovy and algae in the dough, served with frutti di mare.

My guess would be puri with caraway. Caraway fights the heavy fat contains a bit.

I think I am going to be one of those few people who actually don’t agree with the old adage… Spare the anchovies!
I actually love them in intelligent amount upon my pizza. It is a nice salty bite that had some texture and delicious umami to every bite.

🙂

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

I think most people are used to the spicing of their youth. In my case local herbs depending on searson.

Currently it is the season for wild bear-garlic. Of cause you can buy potatoe chips with bear-garlic spice:

front_fr.5.full.jpg

But with our new indoor garden we can try with fresh bear-garlic all the year:

Marinade bear-garlic leaves with some oil in the marinade. then dry the leaves in the oven. The trick is to make the leaves dry and cross while the aetheric oils go into the thin layer of oil which covers the leaves. Remember some vitamins need oil.

Another way is dusting the leaves and frying them, more tasty but not so healthy,

IMG_1670.JPG

Bärlauch - beargarlic- Leaves covered with mix of spiced flour, eggs and parmesan. Then fried:

baerlauch-in-parmesan-sekt-kruste.jpg

4 minutes ago, chattius said:

I think most people are used to the spicing of their youth. In my case local herbs depending on searson.

Currently it is the season for wild bear-garlic. Of cause you can buy potatoe chips with bear-garlic spice:

front_fr.5.full.jpg

But with our new indoor garden we can try with fresh bear-garlic all the year:

Marinade bear-garlic leaves with some oil in the marinade. then dry the leaves in the oven. The trick is to make the leaves dry and cross while the aetheric oils go into the thin layer of oil which covers the leaves. Remember some vitamins need oil.

Another way is dusting the leaves and frying them, more tasty but not so healthy,

IMG_1670.JPG

Bärlauch - beargarlic- Leaves covered with mix of spiced flour, eggs and parmesan. Then fried:

baerlauch-in-parmesan-sekt-kruste.jpg

loooooooove Garlic!

Never enough, universally aproved!

:dance2:

gogo

bear-garlic: the taste of garlic but with way less bad smell from mouth and hide. With the new bio-hype you can find Bärlauch/beargarlic even in european(?) town markets

s.jpg

• Like! 1
On 4/30/2023 at 12:08 PM, chattius said:

bear-garlic: the taste of garlic but with way less bad smell from mouth and hide. With the new bio-hype you can find Bärlauch/beargarlic even in european(?) town markets

s.jpg

lol...just looking at all that garlic made my stomach grumble 

:D

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

dzf2E48.jpegq6TbNCI.jpeg

Except the Mungo beans which didn't smell good anymore, the entirety of the ingredients are in there! Incredible how much that reduced while cooking, even all the Napa cabbage :)

sYz8CiQ.jpeg

I love cooking with coconut milk and sesame oil. The sesame oil I bought was stretched with soja oil, but still: it was very delicious:drool:

• Like! 1
7 hours ago, Lindor said:

dzf2E48.jpegq6TbNCI.jpeg

Except the Mungo beans which didn't smell good anymore, the entirety of the ingredients are in there! Incredible how much that reduced while cooking, even all the Napa cabbage :)

sYz8CiQ.jpeg

I love cooking with coconut milk and sesame oil. The sesame oil I bought was stretched with soja oil, but still: it was very delicious:drool:

Beeeyewwwwwwwwwtiful Lindor! I love stir fries that condense deeply into dishes like that... but all that cutting and prep work... however do you do it :lol: I almost always give up after chopping two kinds of veggies :4rofl:

That coconut and sesame oil is one of my favorite food profiles...just that sesame oil is super expensive here

:D

gpgp

Potatoes in the skin with Quark spiced with young herbs... Sunday was a exhibition of vintage cars and tractors at the museum for farm stuff in Wetzlar. They had the big potatoe oven running which was used to boil potatoes for pigs. Sometimes it are the easy things which taste best.

Because of my whiplash, none of my tractors there. Planed to appear with my vintage MB-Trac used for forest work.

CON_577081300_M

pellkartoffeln-mit-kraeuterquark-33069.j

2304240.004b.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry missed the birthday :(

We had disaster warming at thursday. We were pumping a garage which got flooded in the valley. No car in, but tons with Sauerkraut, a fish smoker filled with trouts, potatoes, onions and other storable food all swimming. Owner wanted to throw it away.  But we firefighters were hungry, it was clear water from a rivelet and we had a field kitchen with us.

Sauerkrautpuffer mit Sosse von geräucherter Forelle - Yummy

Sauerkrautpuffer is like potato pancake but using Sauerkraut. We cut the useful parts from the smoked trouts away and put them in a mincer found in the garage and made a mousse/sauce from it.

Welcome to the home of gourmands. Let the gourmets and food control in the towns...

• Appreciation 1