Food glorious food - What are you eating

On 3/19/2021 at 2:31 AM, Delta! said:

You can make an onion marmelade. Start by slicing the onions and cook them in a bit of oil. On a medium heat, stir every now and then if the base of the pot is not wide enough for maximum cover. Once the onions are starting to release a lot of juices, add a few tablespoons of sugar (I used an overly sweet dessert wine, instead of sugar) but honey or syrup can also be used. Brown sugar will give it a bit of a more caramel flavour. Cook until the sugar has dissolved and it starts to look a bit dry again. Add more sugar (more than the first time) and a bit of water. Season with salt and pepper. Cook out more on a low heat for quite a while. It must be jammy, sticky and thick...

I added pork belly crisps. That I dried out in the oven. 

It keeps in the fridge for a very long time if sealed properly and can be served with a variety of things.

omgod... Theuns we call this ... or a version of it in Sri Lankan cooking... Seeni  Sambal...kind of  like a super spicy onion cooked ... marmelade i guess? lol good word you called it..here's a pic of it... my mom actually simmers the entire onions down in oil, adds cinnamon sticks, cloves and some kind of dried fish and LOADS of power chilli powder

:dance2:

gogo

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cooked/boiled fish... very rarely done here. If then it is a dry variant of fish where more fat is needed for taste Local would be buttermilk, cream, juniper berries (whole for taste), sea b

Quiche Lorraine, the barbaric way Most villages here had a public baking house. Heating it was hard work and so the people doing it got a good meal with lot of meat and vegs from the village comm

There was a kids carneval party and parents were asked to support with cakes, cookies, snacks, ... We were doing Quarkbällchen. To call them small donut like snacks would be too easy. The quark m

Posted Images

First time ever did more than a 2 k run/walk this morning and was able to make it to the top of the oratory... a celebratory

cheese, zucchini, onions  omelette!

IMG_0606.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Bok choy last night... first tiem eating it... SO CHEAP and SO CUTE!.. the flavor is insane.. kind of green and with a crispy bulb and long leafy.. leaves .. it added well to my stir fry but I can see the profile in my head...

mushrooms, onions, chcicken stock?

:D

64082810916__A3F991C2-149E-4EAE-A72B-AA053083A4CF.jpg

gogo

• Like! 1

Let see what comes of this! This is an adult taste that I've acquired... the super delicious factor of it still evades me though I try...  

gl

IMG_0848.jpg

gogo

and finally! veggies have gone kind of cheap here in MTL... up the street from us is a cool out door market.. 12 bux for all this!

IMG_0959.jpg

will probably last five days

:lol:

gogo

• Like! 1

Call it the traditional way a Restepfanne (put all the rests you have in a pan) and your guests won't eat it. Do it the modern way and call it 'vegan climate friendly one tray superfood' and young people are fighting for it... We have a group of biology students doing their practical classes in our forest. Our oldest is showing trees and plants and did the one tray on a portable oven: Wild sort of shikake mushrooms, beargarlic, onions, red potatoe, broccoli, Grünkorn, winter apples and pears,... All was rests and mixed on a tray. 

If asked for the exact recipe she said it is a family secret. Nearly true because we use our belly feeling when mixing the rests and there is no recipe because it is allways different.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2021 at 5:03 AM, chattius said:

Call it the traditional way a Restepfanne (put all the rests you have in a pan) and your guests won't eat it. Do it the modern way and call it 'vegan climate friendly one tray superfood' and young people are fighting for it... We have a group of biology students doing their practical classes in our forest. Our oldest is showing trees and plants and did the one tray on a portable oven: Wild sort of shikake mushrooms, beargarlic, onions, red potatoe, broccoli, Grünkorn, winter apples and pears,... All was rests and mixed on a tray. 

If asked for the exact recipe she said it is a family secret. Nearly true because we use our belly feeling when mixing the rests and there is no recipe because it is allways different.

those mushrooms, onions and potatoes sound like the beginning of a perfect salad! I've started eating...better... :lol: over the last few months... and I am indulging in egg and cheese omelettes every morning after  rIMG_1219.jpg

:)

gogounning... food is good!