Food glorious food - What are you eating

14 hours ago, chattius said:

I think you could do 'Himmel und Erde' in them.

recipe

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/himmel-und-erde.html

Apples and potato prepared in one pot. It is just the base for lot of variants. At our area most often together with roasted blood sausage and onions

himmel-und-erde-nach-uromas-art.jpg

I liked the tart acid the apples brought, new flavors for me in cooked food, besides apple pie

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Got a bad habit of sometimes (actually always if I remember :lol: ) of putting ketchup on my eggs.  Don't quite remember which uncle or aunt showed me this way but I love how just a few squirts can add so much zing to a bland egg 

IMG_6939.jpg

:ike:

gogo

ps btw this is a spinach omelette and those squares are tofu...someone told me to fry it up for extra texture and instead of adding my cheese to my morning feast replaced it with it... you can buy it in all kinds of flavors and adds some heft :D

IMG_6938.jpg

One of my friends has been using this for a few weeks and says this is the best "value" for fresh veggies and fruits for now.  The pricing is 41.00 CAD and you get to choose whether you want the selection or not, no yes's or no's to any of the choices.  I am looking forward to working with new ingredients every week, thinking of it as a cullinary journey, a curated experience and hoping it will sharpen up my imagination skills with odd new ingredients. The curation, delivery is all included with a drop off at our door, what do you think of the pricing? Put in our top foodies here currencies

41 CAD  = 32.11 USD = 28.81 Euro ( @Androdion @chattius= 500.73 South-African Rand ( @Delta!

I put the calculations up for the values in you's guys currencies is it good value where you live as well? This is the picture of the box arriving this Thursday

272951402_679616640138240_6364333337658318813_n.jpg

Voici notre panier pour le 3–4-5 février 2022:

1. Chou-fleur / Cauliflower

2. Aubergines / Eggplants

3. Mandarines ou Oranges sanguines

4. Produit mystère / Mystery Item

5. Choux rouge / Red Cabbage

6. Pêches ou Nectarines

7. Bananes Bananas

8. Germes de haricots / Bean Sprouts (Chop Suey)

9. Poivrons / Peppers

10. Oignon blanc sucrée / Sweet white Onion

11. Courgettes / Zuchinnis

12. Oignons verts / Green onions

13. Laitue / Lettuce

14. Tomates / Tomatoes

15. Concombre / Cucumber

16. Ail / Garlic (Espagne)

17. Carottes / Carrots

Hard to compare the prices without also comparing salaries and life cost, different countries different economies. Here for instance vegetables are cheap, for mushrooms it depends on the type as some are way more expensive than others (:eek:ake for instance are very expensive), and as for blue and raspberries they are indeed expensive. It's easier and cheaper to buy straight from the local producers than to purchase on retail stores. Now, living in a big city and having fresh vegetables hand delivered at your doorstep shouldn't come cheap I reckon. Is the price for one box or for the six of them? If it's for the six I'd say you're having it cheap given the service they provide.

I can do the maths in any direction you want. Learned it when they put me into district disaster management and I was arguing with politicians with no practical background except money control. Statistics are such a weapon - in both ways depending on the math method you choose.

If they would do a delivery to countryside (auto-pilot drones? ) then:

Taking a woman from a neighbour village. Her husband uses the family car to drive to Frankfurt for work. So the calculation is:

Bus to supermarket takes 40 minutes one direction, so 80 minutes in total. 20 minutes in market. Cost is 9€ for a day ticket.

It is no season for any of the veg at local farmer. She has to take the bus to supermarket

It is a time loss of 3 hours and 9€ - alone this sums up to more than 30€ taken that she is a tayloress and could have used the time for working.

She would take the packet to the housedoor

A 83 year old single woman from our village downhill with 150€ income after house, water, electricity, heating. She would consider it too expensive and would harvest some winter vegs in her garden. Her calculation is that 3 hours and 9€ bus is the garden time and seed/tool costs she needs. And the cost of the supermarket vegs are a win which could be used for more needed stuff. And working in the garden can be used for a talk with the neighbours.

Personally I am with the old lady. We have a garden, fruits trees and cooking seasonal is taking away boredom too. It is never the same for each week in the year. Without our more than enough garden: send me the drones with the packets.

On 1/30/2022 at 2:42 PM, gogoblender said:

One of my friends has been using this for a few weeks and says this is the best "value" for fresh veggies and fruits for now.  The pricing is 41.00 CAD and you get to choose whether you want the selection or not, no yes's or no's to any of the choices.  I am looking forward to working with new ingredients every week, thinking of it as a cullinary journey, a curated experience and hoping it will sharpen up my imagination skills with odd new ingredients. The curation, delivery is all included with a drop off at our door, what do you think of the pricing? Put in our top foodies here currencies

41 CAD  = 32.11 USD = 28.81 Euro ( @Androdion @chattius= 500.73 South-African Rand ( @Delta!

I put the calculations up for the values in you's guys currencies is it good value where you live as well? This is the picture of the box arriving this Thursday

272951402_679616640138240_6364333337658318813_n.jpg

Voici notre panier pour le 3–4-5 février 2022:

1. Chou-fleur / Cauliflower

2. Aubergines / Eggplants

3. Mandarines ou Oranges sanguines

4. Produit mystère / Mystery Item

5. Choux rouge / Red Cabbage

6. Pêches ou Nectarines

7. Bananes Bananas

8. Germes de haricots / Bean Sprouts (Chop Suey)

9. Poivrons / Peppers

10. Oignon blanc sucrée / Sweet white Onion

11. Courgettes / Zuchinnis

12. Oignons verts / Green onions

13. Laitue / Lettuce

14. Tomates / Tomatoes

15. Concombre / Cucumber

16. Ail / Garlic (Espagne)

17. Carottes / Carrots

The price will depend on how much off each you get... I can go and buy small amounts of majority of those things and pay less, or I can bulk up and easily double the amount, but feed 10 people for a few days.

It will also depend on where you buy them from. in a supermarket, the price seems reasonable. if I go through one of our suppliers, then it might be a bit less than the R 500.73 South-African Rand. To give you a comparison, A big Mac burger only at Mc Donalds, is R31.00, a medium meal is R39.90 and a large meal is R49.90

It does seem like a nice selection, so I would say worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Rutabaga

I know that nearly every country has a variant of mashed rutabaga. We will do it as my grandma did in the time before refridgerators and supermarkets. To store pork some was cured with saltpeter at a home slaughtering. In late winter the so cured pork was boiled in a mix of potato, rutabaga, carots (for the colour), apples, sorb tree fruits and fruits from mespilus germanica. No more salt needed since the saltpeter spices the vegs enough.

My grandparents used a big copper cauldron (same as for washing). When the pork was removed from the cauldron the vegs mashed mashed and served. When we came home home from school, sports, farm work,... there was always Solberfleisch (saltpeter cured pork) mit Steckrübenmus waiting for us.

The picture is fom a recipe site. I will use cured boar and will use a special fruit mix to kinda soften the strong boar taste while boiling. Boar because a truck injured two boars so I can experiment a bit. The rutabaga will not be totally mashed, I prefer to sill see what is what at the vegs.

Just as Einstein said:

Imagination is more important than recipes, because a cooking-book has only a limited number of recipes.

or was it

Imagination is more important than game guides, because a wiki has only a limited number of guides.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1008.0;a

51yvQJ7GxdL._AC_SX466_.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

Some years ago people were using plant oil instead of diesel to fuel their cars. Now plant oil is more expensive than diesel, if you get plant oil that is. No oil, flour, noodles often at supermarkets. McDonalds changed some recipes cause no sunflower oil available.

The Ukraine is closer than some people think. Actually my re-engined Royal Enfield motorbike uses 1.3 litres diesel for 100km. It has a 27 litre tank. I could theoretically reach the Ukraine without refueling because it is just around 2000km away.

I was paranoid as always. When the war started I drove to farm supply (not supermarket) and bought two 50litre barrels of sunflower oil which I now share with relatives. Also half a ton of chicken food, which I could grind to rough flour if necessary, 100litre Linseedoil, which I could either use for eating, or as planned have it as a base for colour, barn could use a new paint.

Less frying, roasting, more soup... Doubled the amount of potatoes and salades in garden. But harvest is not before 4month in future.

My father in law was seven when WW2 ended and he says: soon the kids will walk to the forests again to collect beechnuts for oil. He was the only one not calling me paranoid but saying I should have bought more. He is a wise man, but I really hope he is wrong this time.

• Like! 1
On 4/22/2022 at 5:19 AM, chattius said:

Some years ago people were using plant oil instead of diesel to fuel their cars.

lol!

this is what my friend who cheekily teases me about every time i mention i use *plant* oil in cooking...that we dont even know the sources and that it used to be used to grease machines...

for myself, as long as its not toxic and still cheaper and olive it serves as good usage for the builk of my cooking that requires a silky, good cook

:thumbsup:

gogo

Think i mentionned somewhere that a company called Good Food has sent us an offer for 2 x 40 credit against the first two orders... so have indulged and used a food order in service for very first time. Ordered all burgers for my first 40.00 and one type was on sale, loved the branding, and the burgers tasked DANG GOOD... Schot says they are a well composed patty. I dont really eat that much bread to had to make a huge portion of fresh veggies with it... was a succulent lunch for a Friday!!

IMG_8682 Copy.jpgIMG_8588.jpg

:hooyaah:

gogo

Trying to incorporate significant more fruits and veggies into the daily day... feels like i reach for less junk food and more good schtuff right out of my own fridge when its filled with colors

this omelette turned out so pretty, simple with butter, and stuffed with cheese and spinach and blueberries

IMG_8793.jpg

8 minutes ago, Androdion said:

That I live to see the day, my man! :resp:

If you're doing spinach stuffing then try it with a bit of ricotta cheese, like they do on the gnocchi.

actually thats a good idea... to vary the cheeses... ill look for some ricotta next time, is it salty?

:)

gogo

I was using my old BMW GS bike for a meeting, because driving country roads was saving an hour. On my way back I passed an asperagus farmer at harvest. Couldn't resist to buy 10 pounds fresh from the field.

Three asperagus wrapped with thin slices of cooked ham, all dusted and roasted. Add some cheese and fine cut vegs... I do not like the usual Sauce Hollandaise for asperagus. 10 pounds , 5 at firefighter to try out something different, 5 pounds for sunday.

Can't wait for motherday when we are full house after a long time.

There are some recipes (german) and pictures:

ueberbackene-spargel-schinken-rollen.jpg

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/2161141346926807/Ueberbackene-Spargel-Schinken-Rollen.html

• Like! 1
On 5/4/2022 at 1:45 PM, gogoblender said:

actually thats a good idea... to vary the cheeses... ill look for some ricotta next time, is it salty?

:)

gogo

Ricotta on its very own is actually a bit bland in flavour, but adapts to flavours very well and absorbs a lot of flavour. don't work it to much though, as it can also separate like mascarpone  does when working it to much

• Like! 1

Had to post this... was a last minute concoction at lunch time yesterday after realizing i didnt have much foods left by end of week. Was able to have some fun with a pack of tofu (pre flavored) and some spinach leaves, oil and pumpkin seeds.. fried the tofu in some oil as well as some sliced Zuccini

.. better than a chocolate bar!

IMG_8883.jpg

:theuns:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

All we had left was frozen hamburgers that we got for free from good food :devil: meh... 
and on top to boot, out of fresh veggies, and only frozen left...remind me to NEVER use anything from a bag again

IMG_9434.jpg

You guys eat so much healthier than me. I don't hate veggies or anything, and we've drastically limited our meat consumption compared to 5-10 years ago. But being Dutch, I've grown up accustomed to the typical Dutch breakfast/lunch which is 2 slices of bread (with any kind of topping). I vary my breakfast these days and may opt for be oatmeal or yoghurt with muesli, but generally my lunch always consists of bread. Easy to bring to work, quick to make in a pinch. But we ran out of bread after this weekend. My solution? I ordered two small pizza's for dinner on Monday instead of one so I could eat the other one split between breakfast and lunch the next day. :chattius:

Let's just say I enjoy pizza. Oh and please don't tell the missus. :sweating:

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/1/2022 at 5:24 AM, Timotheus said:

You guys eat so much healthier than me. I don't hate veggies or anything, and we've drastically limited our meat consumption compared to 5-10 years ago. But being Dutch, I've grown up accustomed to the typical Dutch breakfast/lunch which is 2 slices of bread (with any kind of topping). I vary my breakfast these days and may opt for be oatmeal or yoghurt with muesli, but generally my lunch always consists of bread. Easy to bring to work, quick to make in a pinch. But we ran out of bread after this weekend. My solution? I ordered two small pizza's for dinner on Monday instead of one so I could eat the other one split between breakfast and lunch the next day. :chattius:

Let's just say I enjoy pizza. Oh and please don't tell the missus. :sweating:

would LOVE to eat all that pizza, muesli and and more pizza! Pizza's just about my favorite thing on planet earth, but it loves to get my blood sugar dancing, so its more necessity that keeps me to the good greens and meat... pricey but it keeps the stomach full, and i've come to looooove eggs :heart: .

Do we see Nuttella in your morning Timo... there must be infinite combinations to dance up your two pieces of morning toast

:D

gogo

Pizza?

Our village has a baking house and to test the heat a special cake is used: Flammkuchen or as the french say: tarte flambee. How ever we are barbarians and so we use our local (3 of 5 factories doing it are in my area) cheese: Handkäse. The cheese has just 0,3% fat because barbarians like us don't slaughter calves just to make cheese. Ancient recipes were using bacteria even not knowing what the f... a bacteria is. We add some wild leek or beargarlic -depending on season- , onions... And, as we are barbarians, diced blood sausage from wild boar instead of this high fat pizza salami.

picture from site below, but it is without bear garlic/leek. I like to add some green, Tomato or paprica don't get ripe if not in a glass house, so no red from high sugar vegs. Leave the red/white/green pizza to the italians. We do black (sausage), gold (cheese) and red (redbown crust on the cheese if done right)

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezepte/3072481459860020/Flammkuchen-mit-Handkaese-und-Blutwurst.html

flammkuchen-mit-handkaese-und-blutwurst.

• Like! 1

Forgot to add:

The classical drinks to a Flammkuchen in our area are sour ones:

a Speierling which is a sort of cider from very sour apples and some fruits from service tree which are called Speierlinge here. Actually, having our own service trees, we make normal Apfelwein and add Speierling juice wheb serving. So the vitamins and medical properties of the service fruit stay

or after the grape harvest a Federweißer, which is not yet ripe wine with lot of yeast. The bottles have a special lock which works like a valve to let the gases out. The bottles have to be moved and stored standing, else the valve will be filled with the liquid and all results in a big mess with Federweisser everywhere in the room.

"Federweißer contains yeast, lactic acid bacteria, and a large amount of vitamin B1 and B2"

Kids drink them in a ratio of two or three parts sparkling water and one part of beverage.

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Forgot to add:

The classical drinks to a Flammkuchen in our area are sour ones:

a Speierling which is a sort of cider from very sour apples and some fruits from service tree which are called Speierlinge here. Actually, having our own service trees, we make normal Apfelwein and add Speierling juice wheb serving. So the vitamins and medical properties of the service fruit stay

or after the grape harvest a Federweißer, which is not yet ripe wine with lot of yeast. The bottles have a special lock which works like a valve to let the gases out. The bottles have to be moved and stored standing, else the valve will be filled with the liquid and all results in a big mess with Federweisser everywhere in the room.

"Federweißer contains yeast, lactic acid bacteria, and a large amount of vitamin B1 and B2"

Kids drink them in a ratio of two or three parts sparkling water and one part of beverage.

My take away is the community bake house... what that does for letting people practice kindness and generosity.

Every town should have one

:heart:

gogo

54 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

My take away is the community bake house... what that does for letting people practice kindness and generosity.

Every town should have one

:heart:

gogo

Our 250+ years old bake house had several functions:

Build as bake house and poorhouse. The bake house was always heated so the poor and old had warm rooms and access to bread,

Then it was school for one all age class, then bureau of the mayor. Now it is a meeting room with spin wheels, manual sewing machines, stiching frames and it is still a bakehouse

It is kinda sad that ours is under cultural heritage. The best way to repair it would be to dismantle and rebuild. We collected old wooden poles and planks as replacement for bad parts for ten years but get no 'go' for the repair from authorities. There is a similiar house (bit bigger) at the Hessenpark open air museum which was dismantled, moved to the museum and rebuild. They got the okay way quicker, see below

Backhaus-e1478171166187.jpg

There are weekend classes in old school baking at the museum. Seems 60km are very much considering recipes for bread :)

• Like! 1
  • 4 weeks later...

mummy too this on a drinky day while on holiday last week.. food, wine...same thing right

:P

IMG_0227 Copy.jpg

hmm, looking at it now  ...gasp...PORT... yeeks... probably dissapeared soon after this

:4rofl:

gogo