Food glorious food - What are you eating

Best take out weve ever had...and it was soup!

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

There was so many parts  of this dish that hit it out of the park.  We have never seen soups... big ones... packaged so snugly and absolutely secure. The black tubs you see had the solid components of the soup, and the translucent, the broth... good broth, made from real bones, not that powdered bouillion   :4rofl: ...

and there was, in each tub,  a good value of protein... in mine, the beef...layer upon layer of shaved rare beef... the moment the broth hit it,  they started cooking to a delicious pinky .. and the bag of goodies in my moms hands...those were the herbaceous components... mint, lemon grass, basil... big long thick pieces, with lemons, just opening that plastic bag made us delirious from the aroma before we snipped them into the soups :)
... and...the PLASTIC.. the coolest plastic Ive ever seen... SMART plastic... such a joy to snap on...but try to remove the lid.. you had to make an effort.. what a way to stop a transported liquid from spilling! the molecules of that plastic must be expensive..i felt so humiliated that i didnt tip them better  .. thinking it was only a take out.. i still feel :P

Will do 'Himmel und Erde' (heaven and earth). Apples stand for heaven and potatoe for the earth. Both sliced, boiled and mashed. Served with roasted blood sausage and onions roasted in bacon pieces. Recipe varies a bit with the time of the year: pears, apples, quinces, serb tree, ...

At weekend we did a clean up and made a catalogue of the storage cellars and rooms. Today the recipe is:

strong tasting roasted blood sausage from boar from the build in mountain cool room, from winter

From garden: young white transparent apples, real sour and acidic

last of the red potatoes and red onions from last harvest in 2021

some fresh garden vegs

In difference to this picture from Chefkoch site:

The boar blood sausage needs to be more crusty roasted because of its way stronger taste, the mash will be white (apples) and red (potatoes) springled. Some green spots from vegs. When the kids were younger we did Bratwurst instead blood sausage for them. With the current heat: the ratio of apples and potatoe compared to sausage will be more shifted to the apples and potatoe.

M40655-Himmel-un-Aed-Q75-750.jpg

• Like! 1
8 hours ago, chattius said:

strong tasting roasted blood sausage from boar from the build in mountain cool room, from winter

Right off the bat love the way it sounds ... delicious, deep flavors, the aroma must be heady and even perfumed...

:drool:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

My Sweetee Pie Auntie Shanthi just invited me over for some lunch ... boy does it ever feel good to get spoiled with good ole rice and curry!

Doesn't she have the cutest "accent" ... :lol: 

IMG_0624.jpgIMG_0622.jpg

Grandchild will have birthday tomorrow and we are perparing a bit. So only a light and quick meal today.

Roter Heringssalat mit Pellkartoffel

Red herrings salade with jacket potato

beetroot for the red colour, herrings, sour apples, eggs, pickled sweet cucumber

roter-heringssalat.jpg

h

• Like! 1
25 minutes ago, chattius said:

Grandchild will have birthday tomorrow and we are perparing a bit. So only a light and quick meal today.

Roter Heringssalat mit Pellkartoffel

Red herrings salade with jacket potato

beetroot for the red colour, herrings, sour apples, eggs, pickled sweet cucumber

roter-heringssalat.jpg

h

the salad looks good ... herrings with potatoes? Never even heard of it, but sounds very imaginative and that list of distinct ingredients..  deeeeeeeeeelicious

gigi

Yes easy and quickly done if all at home. Boiling the potatoes takes longer than doing the salade. If we have guests we often use blue skinned potatoes with yellow flesh and do some green vegs on top. Then it is really colourful, But yesterday we wanted something quick.

A bit more northern german variant, but at leat the recipe and background are in English.

https://www.daringgourmet.com/german-red-herring-salad-roter-heringssalat/

• Like! 1

Thats the difference: you have the surprise

With a garden you have work and are forced to plan in advance... 20 years in this case. But now we have 120kilo!!!! Mirabelles from our 4 trees. We did them as 20cm plants when we moved to our house and knew that we won't leave the place soon.

We did two new trees near the house 4 years ago. These mirabelles look way different. more like apricots. But only a handful fruits yet. Because it is a new breed (not a crossing) it is hard to order them from a place from the other side of the atlantic.

grafik.png.652bd8dba30a938f9c4445af1e0484e6.png

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Thats the difference: you have the surprise

With a garden you have work and are forced to plan in advance... 20 years in this case. But now we have 120kilo!!!! Mirabelles from our 4 trees. We did them as 20cm plants when we moved to our house and knew that we won't leave the place soon.

We did two new trees near the house 4 years ago. These mirabelles look way different. more like apricots. But only a handful fruits yet. Because it is a new breed (not a crossing) it is hard to order them from a place from the other side of the atlantic.

grafik.png.652bd8dba30a938f9c4445af1e0484e6.png

Im so jealous of all the nature in your life :D ... im in as central city as you can get... were lucky we have this mountain though...maybe not the great produce that you have, but being next to the largest cemetary in Canada has benefits:

• 2 weeks later...

This was a light friday lunch... pork loin is my absolute favorite cut of meat.. pork chops got all the fat around the outside, they get curly and all...cheap :lol: tenderloin, hmmm, not enuff flavor...but pork loin...its 100 percent flavor. When these lovelies are on sale I Bite

I got some good dry herbes, I think they are french provencale ? some kind of mix of rosemary, marjoram and ... i THINK...licorice? That with with some salt and pepper overnight...  deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious

IMG_0996.jpg

gogo

We have way too much zucchini in different colours. An au-pair left a recipe for australian zucchini slices. We did 3 original plates, and two plates doing a crossover between the Australian frittata-like and a local Hessian omelette.

The crossover had some roasted fatback cubes instead olives and bear-garlic instead normal garlic, cheese was half cheddar half hand cheese. Added some apples to the zucchini, replaced some eggswith quail eggs (more yolk).

The recipe is nice because you can eat eat for almost a week, take it with you as breakfast at work/school, eat a slice when you pass the kitchen, ....

merlin_209983596_a399d712-cec8-4303-8fa2

• Like! 1
20 minutes ago, chattius said:

We have way too much zucchini in different colours. An au-pair left a recipe for australian zucchini slices. We did 3 original plates, and two plates doing a crossover between the Australian frittata-like and a local Hessian omelette.

The crossover had some roasted fatback cubes instead olives and bear-garlic instead normal garlic, cheese was half cheddar half hand cheese. Added some apples to the zucchini, replaced some eggswith quail eggs (more yolk).

The recipe is nice because you can eat eat for almost a week, take it with you as breakfast at work/school, eat a slice when you pass the kitchen, ....

merlin_209983596_a399d712-cec8-4303-8fa2

Love the ingredients and concept . In fact, putting together some lunch food today, and egg salad sandwich looks to be the new run away hit... in sandwich baggies as well!
:dance2:

gogo

On 8/29/2022 at 1:19 PM, gogoblender said:

This was a light friday lunch... pork loin is my absolute favorite cut of meat.. pork chops got all the fat around the outside, they get curly and all...cheap :lol: tenderloin, hmmm, not enuff flavor...but pork loin...its 100 percent flavor. When these lovelies are on sale I Bite

I got some good dry herbes, I think they are french provencale ? some kind of mix of rosemary, marjoram and ... I THINK...licorice? That with with some salt and pepper overnight...  deeeeeeeeeeeeeelicious

IMG_0996.jpg

gogo

I did this sometimes as a student. I think I could write a book how changes in family (age and number of kids, personal taste of each) changed the recipes for lunch I used the last 25 years.

• Haha 1
On 9/1/2022 at 4:05 AM, chattius said:

I did this sometimes as a student. I think I could write a book how changes in family (age and number of kids, personal taste of each) changed the recipes for lunch I used the last 25 years.

Food and family. When we put time aside to look back over the years, we find these two strings of interest always meeting and mixing.  I remember reading back  many years ago this simple line from some writer 

" I love to feed people"

That line just astonished me :O

That small slice of prose has never left me...i kept wondering how, why, how someone could love just giving food to people! :lol:  

:d_dance:

gogo

• 1 month later...

Guys, check this out, look what I got for the family lunch on thanksgiving Monday

Anyone in for... Pudding Wine? Yah, a whole week of Down Abbey do affect us!

IMG_1551.jpg

And Booyah on the marvelous pricing

:drunkards: 

Ill report back

:devil:

gogo

This is the season of harvesting! My favorite :drool: My friend Marielle runs a Haitian Mommy blog ladrymarielle.com with lots of pix and trix.  Every year she gives me a generous portion of Haitian pickles called Pikliz.. spicy and filled with carrots and cabbage and surprise hot peppers all swimming in vinegar... Perfect for adding a touch of dressing to a dull or insipid looking plate of food :P

IMG_1556 Copy.jpg

:)

gogo

We had a great TGiving just yeserday, I dont know how my Aunt and Uncle keep putting out the magic... more than enough to set a table to full, AND lots of goodies to take home... pecan pie with ice cream, home-made cherry pie, honey of a ham, tuuuuuurkeeeeey, a whole tray of stuff... and , yah...the last course, PIneau des Charentes...  a hit! :dance2: 

IMG_1671.jpgIMG_1689.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_1662.jpgIMG_1664.jpg

Open door at firefighters this weekend.

My wife will do 'Sauer Broi' while I do the butchering of a half pig. My butchering license is for house use and for parties but not for selling. Eating raw pork at a meeting needs a license. The water used for boiling meat and sausages at the firefighter house butchery in a BIG copper cauldron is the base for the sour brew. So it has already some small pieces of meat and bursting sausages in it.

Then she will add:

Mett = spiced minced raw pork, which is also eaten smeared on bread rolls at a butchery day. It has to be eaten same day, so the rests go into the soup

onions = bread with Mett and onions, rests

vinegar = also rests, this time from cleaning the cutting board. The main sour part

bread = old remains from sour dough bread, guess it: rests

pieces of bread rolls = leftovers from the Mettbrötchen (bread rolls smeared with Mett) = rests

spices: muscat, pepper, salt, majoran, ...

Short before serving whirl a few eggs into the gray soup. Bread rests = gray, boiled Mett turns from red white into gray, ... The brew will get a 0 from 10 in good looking. All you see is the surface when gray particles, but it gets a 10 in taste.

Obviously a recipe from the times when everything eatable was eaten and nothing threw away. Often makes real good recipes because people learned for centuries to optimize them.

There are variants with meatballs instead Mett which look better because the soup is clearer, but using lot of Mett makes the soup real thick and tastier in my opinion.

• Like! 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

Open door at firefighters this weekend.

My wife will do 'Sauer Broi' while I do the butchering of a half pig. My butchering license is for house use and for parties but not for selling. Eating raw pork at a meeting needs a license. The water used for boiling meat and sausages at the firefighter house butchery in a BIG copper cauldron is the base for the sour brew. So it has already some small pieces of meat and bursting sausages in it.

Then she will add:

Mett = spiced minced raw pork, which is also eaten smeared on bread rolls at a butchery day. It has to be eaten same day, so the rests go into the soup

vinegar = also rests, this time from cleaning the cutting board. The main sour part

bread = old remains from sour dough bread, guess it: rests

pieces of bread rolls = leftovers from the Mettbrötchen (bread rolls smeared with Mett) = rests

spices: muscat, pepper, salt, majoran, ...

Short before serving whirl a few eggs into the gray soup. Bread rests = gray, boiled Mett turns from red white into gray, ... The brew will get a 0 from 10 in good looking. All you see is the surface when gray particles, but it gets a 10 in taste.

Obviously a recipe from the times when everything eatable was eaten and nothing threw away. Often makes real good recipes because people learned for centuries to optimize them.

There are variants with meatballs instead Mett which look better because the soup is clearer, but using lot of Mett makes the soup real thick and tastier in my opinion.

This recipe was a great read.  And especially were getting close to Halloween, I cant get Hocus pocus out of my mind and seeing your recipe in action over a cauldron...

starring one of my faves Bette MIddler... theyve just released hocus pocus 2 and im all pepped up for it!

:connie_witchy:

gogo

• 3 weeks later...

Others have halloween, we have

Dickwurzsuppe (fodder beets soup)

31th of octobre used to be reformation day in the state of Hesse. A silent day were people stayed at home, praying or spending time with family. After reunion of Germany each western state had to give up a celebration day to support the eastern states, end of Reformation day in Hesse.

Halloween was not done in Germany till 30 years back because of reformation day. We never did it when we were kids. But we had a tradition of carving heads from Dickwurz and putting a candle inside when the Dickwurz were harvested at last of the crops, sometimes end of november. The leftover from carving was either fed to caddle (Dickwurz = fodder beets) if you had some, or put into a soup. Not as sweet as rutabega and a way stronger taste- each family had their own recipe.

We used to do a soup from Dickwurz and not smoked sausages and pork from house butchering. The butchering was done when it started to be cold and no flies around anymore.

So sunday we were carving the 'Gloinische Deuwel' (slang for glowing devils). We had Dickwurz parts and leaves, adding some bacon, some Wiener, leek, onions, ... Just being creative with the soup.

While pumpkins always look like a ball and are softer - carving a fodder beet head starts with choosing an interesting looking beet. Sometimes the hair is the upside, sometimes it are the roots. What is cut away is put in the soup.

Wie-die-Dickwurz-schaurig-grinsen-lernt_

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiKv2siOVUW2Ew28OCNJJ

• zomgod! 1

Wildschweinsaumagen (pig stomach from wild boar)

' Saumagen is a German dish popular in the Palatinate. The dish is similar to a sausage in that it consists of a stuffed casing; however, the stomach itself is integral to the dish. It is not as thin as a typical sausage casing (intestines or artificial casing). Rather it is meat-like, being a strong muscular organ, and when the dish is finished by being pan-fried or roasted in the oven, it becomes crisp. '

Had to kill a wild boar which had broken forelegs after being hit by a car. So the belly was intact and I decided to cut it in a way so we can have Saumagen from it. Because of the stronger taste of a wild boar compared to a normal pig I decided to will add some fruits to the filling.

Picture is normal pig, boiled but not (yet) roasted. With cut not minced pork. I will do the filling for Bratwurst into the stomach and not cut pork. As I said wild boar has a stong taste

10.-Saumagenwettbewerb---Klassiker-30397

• Like! 1
9 hours ago, chattius said:

Wildschweinsaumagen (pig stomach from wild boar)

' Saumagen is a German dish popular in the Palatinate. The dish is similar to a sausage in that it consists of a stuffed casing; however, the stomach itself is integral to the dish. It is not as thin as a typical sausage casing (intestines or artificial casing). Rather it is meat-like, being a strong muscular organ, and when the dish is finished by being pan-fried or roasted in the oven, it becomes crisp. '

Had to kill a wild boar which had broken forelegs after being hit by a car. So the belly was intact and I decided to cut it in a way so we can have Saumagen from it. Because of the stronger taste of a wild boar compared to a normal pig I decided to will add some fruits to the filling.

Picture is normal pig, boiled but not (yet) roasted. With cut not minced pork. I will do the filling for Bratwurst into the stomach and not cut pork. As I said wild boar has a stong taste

10.-Saumagenwettbewerb---Klassiker-30397

Love sausage but sometimes something too venissony or "wild' is a bit strong for me. I can appreciate this as art however, I know folks that once they start sausaging never stop

:D

gogo

I am experimenting with marinading for big parts and adding pineapple pieces for the Saumagen. I can't like it to waste food, so with the wild boar at home - time to try something

In towns you usually visit the supermarket and buy with a plan. At countryside you don't want to waste stuff you have, and you have to be creative to prevent repeating at a too good harvest or - this time - too many stupid car drivers who ignore warning signs.

2017_0177_01.jpg

• Appreciation 1
  • 2 weeks later...

First time ever eating this, but dang, what a glorious and apparently simple delight... a baked apple!

Stuffed with brown sugar, raisins and pecans on top...deeeeeeeeeeeeelicious

IMG_2157.jpg

gogo