Sacred 3 Character Classes

Ryanrocker

No battle mage or dark elf this time either it seems :(

The Malakim seems a little like a blend of the two. I feel like he's already my first pick. I always go for the fire mage first for any game.

I'm feeling the Malakhim will be my first choice too, there's enough that appears different about him to be tempting.

• Like! 1

Early days but the ancarian sounds interesting - spears and earth abilities. The archer sounds good too - ice spells always appealled to me vs fire. Hoping combat art info comes out soon.

Kinda disappointed with their being only 5 characters, loved S1 UW having 8

• Like! 1

How long has class information been out? The reason why I ask is a guy got lost in my store about a week and a half ago, ended up in my office, heard me playing Sacred, and claimed to know all about Sacred 3. He claimed that he knew someone on "the inside". At first, I thought "yeah, sure, buddy. What's going on here is you were trying to take a peek at what kind of goodies the boss has in his office and got busted". But he told me about the races, and how instead of playing just a Seraphim, you specifically play Claire. I remember that specific name, because it's my best friend's name, I can't remember if he gave specific names of other characters.Dudes, if this guy was legit, then there are going to be some majorly bummed Sacred fans. He compared the new Sacred to "Conan", the one for 360 and PS3, not the MMO. Gone is the open world, gone are the legendary weapons and armor sets, gone is any semblance of customization. I liked Conan, but mostly because I loved the movies. I can't remember much else, because I was in a hurry to get him out of my office. I think there's still a demo of Conan on the 360 marketplace, I let my gold membership expire, though. But, maybe he was just full of it. The way I see it, everything is speculation until I see some ingame footage.

• Like! 1

No battle mage or dark elf this time either it seems :(

Erling, wow, welcome back!

:hugs:

Gonna take some vac from school for a bit to play Sacred 3?

:D

gogo

Haha, No vacation but I'll have to try to pick it up and give it a spin at least!

• Like! 1

Dang, Ryan, hell of a great job u did here with the montage! Great job of getting folks stoked for the new redux... and cuz yer all going for that Malakhim, I'm in for the archer...

That's the goal, it's more fun when we get people over here talking about S3 speculation :) I'll be torn between my usual Seraphim choice or the new Ancarian. Something about being a light armor user with spears sounds awesome!

• Like! 1

I know there's been a lot of skeptical talk about whether these new classes will live up to the kind of hero we expect from a Sacred game, and I am confident that Deep Silver is staying true to the essence of a Sacred character. We might be disappointed that they are all humans, upset over the fact that there's only five classes, or bothered by the more or less generic archetypes. I wasn't part of the big S1/Underworld crowd, so I can't offer tons of insight there, but I DID play one heck of a lot of Sacred 2. And every time I make a character in that game, I come up with a build. Across the 3 Combat Art Aspects you really had 3 options of how characters played - either a weapons user, magic user, or hybrid. Let's take the Seraphim for example: Exalted Warrior is your weapons, Celestial Magic is obviously your magic, and Revered Technology is your hybrid. All the other classes share this similar setup (besides High Elf and Dragon Mage who are both mainly magic). And here's where I think we have a lot of hope...

The information we have so far on all the classes in Sacred 3 list each one as having two aspects: a weapons and a magic one.

Seraphim- sword and divine powers

Safiri- heavy weapons and sun powers

Ancarian- spear user and nature powers

Khukuri- bow user and frost powers

Malakim- dual wielded blades and blood magic

As long as we are able to choose and modify a variety of Combat Arts that feel true to the characters they are creating for this version of Ancaria, I think this setup will go extremely well and be a very enjoyable experience. But if you read that list you might realize one thing - each class seems tied to a specific weapon type. In a way I think they may have gone along the same lines as Diablo 3 where each class has a specific kind of weapon that they can use. I know this hurts us hardcore fans and limits build creativity a lot, but it makes the game much more open to the public and doesn't intimidate players from giving the game a go. With the lack of information we have it's hard to form any conclusions about the game, but I know I'm excited to see what they give us :D

P.S. I'll also try to keep this topic updated with any news that gets released, but someone will probably beat me to the punch ;)

• Like! 1

But if you read that list you might realize one thing - each class seems tied to a specific weapon type. In a way I think they may have gone along the same lines as Diablo 3 where each class has a specific kind of weapon that they can use. I know this hurts us hardcore fans and limits build creativity a lot, but it makes the game much more open to the public and doesn't intimidate players from giving the game a go.

Well, I do not really think that allowing some freedom in choosing your weapon is a concept that RPG players find intimidating. Do you? Having a preferable weapon type for a class is not a bad idea, but having it fixed and unchangeable is quite a limitation.

Not sure if intimidate was the right word to use there, but I was trying to get at how streamlined it is. There's no need to think about choosing a weapon when the game makes you use the preset one for your class. Many people who only have an hour or two of game time a day want to be in the action and the less items they have to consider the more game they can consume. I also understand that coming up with builds and choosing weapons for your builds are a BIG part of the gameplay for everyone else (myself included). I have lots of time on my hands, so picking my own weapon is something I'd expect from a deep RPG as you said. But if Deep Silver is trying to streamline the weapons system like Diablo, I don't think it will be that bad of a change. For us players that have sunk hundreds of hours into the game it will sure come as startling, but as long as everything is very distinct as you said I think it will turn out ok :)

• Like! 1

As long as we are able to choose and modify a variety of Combat Arts that feel true to the characters they are creating for this version of Ancaria, I think this setup will go extremely well and be a very enjoyable experience. But if you read that list you might realize one thing - each class seems tied to a specific weapon type. In a way I think they may have gone along the same lines as Diablo 3 where each class has a specific kind of weapon that they can use. I know this hurts us hardcore fans and limits build creativity a lot, but it makes the game much more open to the public and doesn't intimidate players from giving the game a go. With the lack of information we have it's hard to form any conclusions about the game, but I know I'm excited to see what they give us :D

P.S. I'll also try to keep this topic updated with any news that gets released, but someone will probably beat me to the punch ;)

I'm with you on the CA's being important. I noticed as well, how they are making particular weapons Class oriented...this is probably their way of limiting but creating variety in the builds while keeping it interesting.

Before, having a million options was the way to go. That was before, and the world at this was new... people are looking for quick consumptive experience, and this new iteration of the game will have to find a way to appease what old school fans are looking for, hugely individual process of creativity versus an easily consumed process.

I love the work you're putting into this thread Ryan, and everyone's feedback for you on it is our community at it's best.

The reads on DArkMatters and SacredWiki have exploded in the last few days, everyone is looking for information plus analysis, and it looks like this community, as usual, will be at the forefront of it.

:)

gogo

Also gotta give them credit, their artists made a nice presentation of their characters.

HOlee molee did they ever!

And so glad you like it too, I was just thinking that the new character portraits alone are making for an already great first tread experience, along with that awesome video!

gogo

Also gotta give them credit, their artists made a nice presentation of their characters.

HOlee molee did they ever!

And so glad you like it too, I was just thinking that the new character portraits alone are making for an already great first tread experience, along with that awesome video!

gogo

I'm telling you, it's giving me some ideas on my own art. :D I think this is the best I've seen in the series, which should at least turn a few heads.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll definitely buy it, at the very least I want to make my own decision about these things. Whether or not its something that keeps me interested as long as the previous titles remains to be seen though.

If this is true, it is for me another point why not to buy the game!

Either they make a game which can be bought by everyone in a full package or they should keep it for an expansion pack. But I really don't like and will not support this kind of money policey to offer additional content or day one addons etc.

If they are not able to make a proper calculation, maybe first they should do their homework before trying to make money this way. For me this is a very bad mannour and does show what a game disgner or maybe better said a publisher those pay on respect to a community.

But in the end, it is up to everyone himself what s/he will do or not do. For sure I will not be a day one buyer! The rest is up to the future and what I can see and hear about the game in the end.

• 3 weeks later...

Aside;

The bow character is called 'Khukuri" if my short term memory serves me correct, (which it may or may not do.) A Khuk, Khukuri, Kukri, and other names are all about the traditional blade of Nepal, the curved forward short sword or machette looking thing many of you may know only from the movies. The British Gurkhas, a special forces unit recruited from India and area,( Nepal, Himalayas, etc,) uses their own version of the khukuri. The Gurkhas, and I'm wondering if I've spelled them correctly, from the Gorkhali, a region of I think Nepal recruited heavily for soldiers, (Gorkhas) it has been years since I thought of these things, were once feared across the globe. There are historical war picts of Gurkhas charging the enemy with nothing but these khukuris, having discarded their rifles. A man with a knife can reach you across a short distance quicker than you can level and aim a handgun. The people who guide the climbers to Everest, the Sherpas, use the khukuri as their do- everything blade. A household will typically own one, being passed down, as the expense is too great for these poor people to do other wise. Kitchen, field, defense, home and construction, they depend upon this tool. The blade can be very small, or very large, say from 5" to sword length. Average 12" to 30" Their chopping ability relative to size is extraordinary. I used to fell pine using khuks for much of my firewood during a time I lived in the mountains. The handle is made from wood or buffalo horn, and the inset of the blade near the bend a short distance from the handle has religious significance- the cho. A proper khuk comes in a sheath made of wood and the leather from buffalo. They can't use cattle for religious reasons. The persons trained since childhood to smith these blades are the Kamis. The class system of the East.... The khukris typically come with two smaller tools, (the swiss army knife kit of the primitive world) one has flat sides for sharpening, the way you might use a steel, and the other with a edge, called a Karda, the accompanying short knife to the larger blade. I'm having trouble remembering what the sharpening tool is called. It does not remove metal, so much as re-aligns the micro metal on the edge. You can get more work out of the blade with this system before actually sharpening, which of course removes metal and shortens the length of service of the tool. These are people who must make their tools last. The edge is convex, bowed, the most basic and strongest of edges. You can sharpen this edge using a flat river rock- again, thrift and function. There is a sweet spot on the blade, hardened, like the best part of a baseball bat, hitting the khuk on any other section of the blade risks the vibration, and is not nearly as effective as a cutting or chopping action. The tip and other sections are much softer, they don't need to be hard, and a hardened tip would be dangerous should it break off and fly into a kid standing nearby. In this way, what is called differentially hardened today, the khukuri can withstand terrible strains and yet hold shape and still deliver use. It flexes. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. My apologies to the professorial or historian who will see the clumsiness of my descriptions.

Well, enough about the khuk- thought you might like some background. I'm hoping or assuming the bow character also has a khukuri, but who knows? I don't know why they'd call a bowman a kukri/khukuri for a character name..... he should be swinging a 30" two pound khuk. So, why name a arrow person after a blade from Nepal?

ps, the small sharpening tool with a khuk is called a chakma, wish I still had a memory like a human being....

Edited by munk
  • Like! 1
  • 2 years later...

I downloaded sacred 1 and played it for hours. I thought it's like diablo 2 with autosave feature when I played again I lost my save so I immediately uninstalled I later found out that it has autosave but turned off by default. im too piffed off with myself for not noticing it so im not going to reinstall it. I liked the wood elf in sacred but it's missing in sacred 2 and they turned the archer into a guy in sacred 3.. I liked female wood elf archer.