Hi there! Need a little general help with Sacred 2

Hi folks! Nice to be posting here.

I have been playing Sacred 2 for about 4 months now.

Here is a list of all my current characters.

I am playing Ice&Blood with community patch.

I have completed almost every quest, including 'Epic Office'.

I have done all achievements except 'Dedicated' and 'Master Cartographer' ( and 3 multiplayer ones but am not interested in those, I am solo player only ).

Okay! Now I want to talk about my Dryad character.

It is a ranged dryad, with full Detheya's set and currently using a level 80 bow called 'Bull's eye', that I used to beat Platinum. At 1.8 RpH, my CAs cool down almost as fast as I use them ( Ravaged impact, darting assault and Sinister predator are at ~level 55, Ancient bark at level 30 )

I have the following skills ( base points ):

Ranged weapons ( 20)

Tactics lore (75)

Capri Hunter focus (75)

Concentration (1)

Nature Weaver focus ( 31 ) <-- for Ancient bark and tangled vine aspects

Combat reflexes (10)

Armor lore (49)

Constitution (38)

Spell resistance (1)

Combat Discipline (1)

I use Sacred 2 character editor to 're spec' characters and am fine with doing so.

However I only use legally obtained equipment ( ie no downloaded stuff ) and do not change up stats more than what is supposed to be in the game.

I find myself thinking that I may have made some bad decisions.

Combat discipline doesn't seem to work, it doesn't increase CA damage as advertised. I don't really use combos anyway except for one, tangled vine followed by ravaged impact vs bosses.

Spell resistance also doesn't seem to be doing much for me.

Infact with Ancient Bark I have so much armor that only spells damage me seriously. I only died one time with this character, and that was in Platinum, a red 'young dragon' champion monster one shotted me from 80% health as I was going back to the island after killing Carnach.

(w t f!? How did it happen, is it a glitch? )

But also, I have been taken down from full to ~10-20% life by one of the final guardians, a dragon boss, the octopus ( slam with 3 arms ) and the Gar-Colossus . All in platinum, and all by spells/CAs ( normal attacks just don't do much damage when I have ~8k armor )

I have no idea how to mitigate this spell damage, Spell Resistance mastery?

What other skills might be useful, Damage Lore? Speed Lore?

General skills, I have no idea how to use them, are they really important?

Enhanced Perception, I took this on my Seraphim and have regretted it. With 25 pts, it doesn't do jack.

Bargaining. I don't buy stuff from shops generally.. seems boring.

Alchemy. I have better things to do than farming trophies..

Blacksmith. The NPCs work just fine. They are the only thing I even have to spend money on ( 50 million on my dryad )

Riding and Divine Devotion- are just bad.

I would like some advice regarding survivability in general ( especially against spells/CAs ) and the use of General Skills.

Particularly as I am planning to make a Hardcore character - A shadow warrior with a lightsaber , grim resilience will increase willpower . ( Is this a good idea? )

Ok to sum up here are my plans

1. Create a HC character ( probably lightsaber wielding SW ) and beat at least silver

2. Complete 'Dedicated' and 'Master cartographer'. 'Dedicated' seems to be really hard ( my inquistor is in the seraphim area and he's nearly at 10%. And I tried really hard not to go off track ), so I'll probably do it with a bronze character. 80% for 'Master cartographer' seems real hard, my best character has around 50%. Any tips there?

3. Complete any quests I may have missed ( probably done along with master cartographer )

4. Maybe complete Niob difficulty with dryad - but that will require a lot of levelling and farming along with switching around skills as I have indicated.. It takes so f%@#ing long to level at this point.. All enemies have been in deep purple for a long while now, Niob enemies are level 115 and I can just barely beat the weak early enemies such as the Rune masters quest..

5. Maybe get 1 of each character through the game. Inquisitor, TG and especially DM seem to be AWFUL. I don't enjoy playing them at all, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by gogoblender

I wouldn't be surprised if some people were on vacation right now. I do have a level 4 Dryad that I plan to play as ranged. 1st 2 skills are ranged and concentration.

My least favorite character is the Inquisitor. My two favorites so far are the SW (duel wield with demonic blow+frenzied rampage combo) and the Seraph (staff user w/ pelting strikes).

I do not have master cartographer or dedicated, I'm also missing the tomb raider one and the one for visiting at least 100 dungeons.

I do have the three muliplayer ones but I cheated to get those - I downloaded the bargainer pack from here and noticed after using some of them that all those achievements had somehow gotten added to my journal :rofl:

I just started a play through with each of the other 6 characters, one choosing each god, and plan to look for any missing god quests. I'm also checking out places pages as I go in the wiki to see what I can do to make something wonderful even better.

• Like! 1

Welcome to the forums, YoodenVranx! I have not played a lot of PC Sacred 2 but I do have some answers for you I inserted into the quote below :)

Combat discipline doesn't seem to work, it doesn't increase CA damage as advertised. I don't really use combos anyway except for one, tangled vine followed by ravaged impact vs bosses.

Combat Discipline increases the CA damage directly in the tooltip. If you look at your CA's damage before and after you select (or boost the skill), you can see the difference.

Spell resistance also doesn't seem to be doing much for me.

IIRC, SR needs mastery to have good effect for resisting enemy CA's. Wasn't needed on console so I never used it.

Infact with Ancient Bark I have so much armor that only spells damage me seriously. I only died one time with this character, and that was in Platinum, a red 'young dragon' champion monster one shotted me from 80% health as I was going back to the island after killing Carnach.

(w t f!? How did it happen, is it a glitch? )

You probably didn't have your Fire/Magic armour properly buffed.

But also, I have been taken down from full to ~10-20% life by one of the final guardians, a dragon boss, the octopus ( slam with 3 arms ) and the Gar-Colossus . All in platinum, and all by spells/CAs ( normal attacks just don't do much damage when I have ~8k armor )

Again, you are probably weak in one of the elemental types (magic?)

I have no idea how to mitigate this spell damage, Spell Resistance mastery?

What other skills might be useful, Damage Lore? Speed Lore?

General skills, I have no idea how to use them, are they really important?

Invaluable, the most important skills in the game (IMHO)

Enhanced Perception, I took this on my Seraphim and have regretted it. With 25 pts, it doesn't do jack.

Bargaining. I don't buy stuff from shops generally.. seems boring.

Alchemy. I have better things to do than farming trophies..

Blacksmith. The NPCs work just fine. They are the only thing I even have to spend money on ( 50 million on my dryad )

Riding and Divine Devotion- are just bad.

Riding and DD are indeed not too exciting. The others... well... YMMV :)

5. Maybe get 1 of each character through the game. Inquisitor, TG and especially DM seem to be AWFUL. I don't enjoy playing them at all, maybe I'm missing something.

Inquisitor and TG were my favorite 2 classes. But they do take some knowledge and (most of all) patience in the early-going (Silver/Gold)

Thanks for reading!

• Like! 1

Unless its been fixed, I don't think you can get the 100 dungeon achievement... (I haven't played for 4 years, so maybe its been fixed). I used to go mad and try to find everything on the map so its kind of strange I never got that one.

I have all the achievements except the online ones since I always played offline, and perhaps a few of the ones relating to getting certain classes past level 15. Currently on 890 points.

I only seem to be able to play Shadow warrior, I should try to branch out but all my gear I had accumulated is mainly for shadow warriors. I have tried them all but seem to return to SW.

• Like! 1

I am a big fan of Alchemy:

The main reason for alchemy are heal potions. Enter niob, be down to 5% health and notice that a heal potion is not healing you fully up without alchemy.

Second reason: Mentors lasting minutes... a boost to experience rate

Third reason: Hunting undeads in the swamp, use minute lasting pink potions to stop them from standing up again

Fourth: boss fights with a life leech weapon and trophies boosting hit chance and attack speed. Even a caster may hit and kill quickly without a weapon skill for a minute.

Barkskin makes you vulnerable to fire attacks.

Always have all resistances covered if you enter unknown territory. if you use barkskin, put ice, magic and fire in your orbs. Null resistances multiplies damage received. Watch the damage/armour curve at wiki. It was hard enough to calculate it ;)

• Like! 1

Yes, alchemy sounds interesting. I thought about using it on my HC shadow warrior ( which I started and is now level 15 ), but he has it as a secondary skill. Doesn't seem worth it to get blacksmith just for that ( how is blacksmith useful anyway )

However, I could use it as the 10th skill on my dryad, who has it as the primary skill.

I've heard people say good things about bargaining, but the truth is I'm not really a 'shopper' . I can look up stuff in shops every now and then but not really go out of my way for doing so.

I've been reading up on the whole spell damage and resistance stuff and man it is annoyingly complex.

Used to be really easy in Diablo 2, for the most part you would just have a number like 75% fire damage reduced.

Most important is switching your resistant gems in the bottom left corner to whatever mobs you are facing. I always have one with ice, magica, poison, fire. helps a lot.

Don't have steam version cus I have the old boxed copies and those keys do not work for steam :P 2 lazy to buy it on steam for a second time.

My old dryad has no problems, just zoom out and instakill everything as soon as it enters the screen xD.

Also for dryad, blowpipes are badass, almost no animation for ravaged impact or darting assault.

Tangled vines help a lot rooting stronger enemies and nuking them from far away.

Using a mount is also something that the dryad works best with. so smooth to use +extra bonuses.

When you are rolling a DW grim resilience is the best skill ever, will makes spells do a lot less dmg and the hp bonus is just so damn good. This + reflective emnation makes you super tanky.

For exploring the entire map, go to like silver or something, find a lot of equipment with +vision and +run speed and run around on your mount exploring everything, including dungeons

• Like! 1

Actually, blacksmithing is a decent skill for the SW. He can upgrade his own armor at less cost than going to see a blacksmith. The enhanced perception skill is also very useful for any of the characters.

I'm not a shopper either so I usually don't go with bargaining.

I'm not a fan of shopping either, but I have found especially in niobium how important having bargaining is, particularly in the area of rings and amulets. Those items are absolute trash without bargaining in there. You definitely would want to designate at least one character as a shopper.

And if it wasn't bugged on console, I would've chosen blacksmith as another skill to use. Being able to forge without a blacksmith around, socketing rings into bronze slots and amulets into silver slots is very useful. Then there's the fact that at mastery there's a chance to remove items without loss. Nice to have when you have, say, an Officer's Saber.

This game is so deep, I read my old posts and wish I could talk to myself from 4 years ago as I have forgotten so much. Had forgotten about orbs but as I play a SW and hide behind two buffs, it hasn't been a problem yet.

I have a set somewhere with high visibility but I never went to stage of revealing entire ocean, glad they said that the visibility in Unbended might be a bit more reasonable.

I have a BS too somewhere, should use him to save money and for the other added extras he can do.

Our highest level Shadow Warrior has alchemy. This works actually quite fine: alchemy is unlocked by smithing which isn't a wasted skill. Because he is the best smith all the other characters use him for smithing and if they have no alchemy they give their trophies to him.

CM patch has these clover leaf trophies which boost magic find to really nice levels. He managed to find the whole Kanka set on his own when being around level 130.

Never look at a skill isolated. Always watch the whole. Alchemy may be best skill for a certain character but a waste for another.

You are right in that I am not able to look at the big picture here.. Give me a character in Diablo 2 or Median XL and I can tell pretty well what it's capable of given the skills and equipment, I can't do that in Sacred 2. Maybe I haven't played enough, but thats the other problem. It takes insanely long to level up and esp. at high levels it seems like now its taking 1 hr to gain 1 level. How long it takes to get a level 130 character? Do the math.. its insane. A game like Van Helsing 2 I was able to finish from beginning to end in under 11 hours, that's the first playthrough and without any other help, and I did every quest I could find.

Nevertheless I think I will in fact get a high level dryad, even though it'll probably take months. I'll be trying to beat all the quests in the game (in platinum ), as well as reveal 80% of the map and (eventually ) beat Niob.

I allocated 5 sockets to visibility gear ( light range +11m and +37% vs. range ). It doesn't seem to make a difference to me.. I went into an unexplored area and seemed to uncover the map and the same rate as before. I guess I'll have to take your word for it.

I am coming across a lot of these rings that have like adds 24-24 damage. I read that it just adds on to the base damage of your weapon. Seems.. imbalanced? I can't think of a better socketable, and these are really easy to get.. you can just shop them, even without bargaining.

Alchemy however proved to be quite interesting, even at just 1 pt. Construction parts trophy gives around 40% block against enemy CAs, this sounds pretty great huh? as boss powerful attacks are really the only dangerous thing to her ( this one isn't listed under trophies ? ). Demon Tooth trophy, 1.4 RpH pretty cool huh. Better potions too.

Edit: I don't really know how to reduce fire damage. Only thing I can think of are relics and they only add like 150 each, while my physical armor is 6000+ . I also found a ring with 1.2% damage reduction vs elements, but again.. too little.

Edited by YoodenVranx

A lot of the skills in Sacred 2 need mastery to be effective. Spell Resistance and Enhanced Perception are two skills that are far better at mastery than the lower levels. For any characters that do have EP, I usually find a nice amulet or ring every few levels. Riding also reduces CA penalties when mounted. The Dryad can choose Ancient Magic instead of Combat Disc. You still get increased damage and reduced resistance to damage from your spell CAs

Edited by DaveO

I never played a dryad so I cannot comment on them.

I have four characters over level 100, but then I played game for two years before I stopped. I never got much above 140 though as I played offline and the experience needed to level starts to get crazy around there. Getting to 200 in single player would be an achievement.

Don't know the correct english names : Recent CM-patches have a 'construction plan' (ca-block) and a 'cloverleaf' (magic find) as new trophies. They are not yet in the sacredwiki.

One really noticable thing about visible range is that you see your enemies earlier on the minimap. This is nice if you are fast and bring them together for an area of effect attack.

Light range seems to help against hidden/invisible creatures.

Levelling up gets really hard around level 90 or so (that's a legit criticism). Most people will farm certain areas and use mentors - orc cave, swamps, undead near thylisium

Damage rings without bargaining are average, the 24 - 24 you mentioned you could find a 28 -28 plus attack value or poison (just as an example) with high level bargaining and time shopping. You can shop for amulets with extra HP & plus vitality. There's also unique amulets that will help vs fire damage.
I wouldn't socket visibility if you aren't confident in your builds defence (or limit the number of sockets used).

Levelling up gets really hard around level 90 or so (that's a legit criticism). Most people will farm certain areas and use mentors - orc cave, swamps, undead near thylisium

Damage rings without bargaining are average, the 24 - 24 you mentioned you could find a 28 -28 plus attack value or poison (just as an example) with high level bargaining and time shopping. You can shop for amulets with extra HP & plus vitality. There's also unique amulets that will help vs fire damage.
I wouldn't socket visibility if you aren't confident in your builds defence (or limit the number of sockets used).
Edited by Augmint

If you are going to go with bargaining for a character, you should use one that can get the skill at level 1. I usually use the High Elf, but haven't done much with bargaining.

Don't underestimate those relics. Those things, especially the magic and fire relics, have saved my characters a number of times while traveling through the dessert regions, Dyr Lain, and the wastelands. I remember the times I've been saved by poison relics while fighting the fourth nameless guardian. Later on as well, you will also be seeing relics that give around 200 plus armor and higher against damage types. In other words, definitely use them, particularly the fire and magic relics, as the magic attacks with the chance to weaken and the fire attacks with Ancient Bark's weakness to fire I find tend to hurt the dryad the most. That seemingly small amount of defence may not make her nigh invincible, but it makes enough of a difference. As also mentioned, you can also find rings and amulets that, say, provide armor against fire and any other damage type, reduces damage over time against said damage types, or, the rare occasion, damage mitigation itself. Find those and wear or socket those items in there to boost your defence against fire or the like.

Another thing I only just noticed, I see no mention of goldenglade touch in there. This is actually the second CA I mod after ancient bark because of the massive HP regeneration it provides, along with the fact it provides additional willpower when you choose persevere for the silver mod.

I personally prioritized my ranged dryad's defensive skills over her focuses, typical left them around 20 to 30 points, while ensuring armor lore and constitution were up along with tactics lore. In your case, you can throw in spell resistance as well, as certain areas in niob level will eat you alive without it at mastery. Combat Reflexes, not so much, especially given the dryad already has high defence.

And in case no one has mentioned it, for the shadow warrior, it is never a bad idea to use grim resilience. ;)

Edited by Aegis

vision and vision% are good for exploring huh? I thought that mod never did anything at all.

At end game, if yer working in teams, one can socket vision which greatly magnifies your range on catching mobs... that person acts as scout and leads another behind or friends. You can increase your yield of xp brought in this way, and your level gain is faster.

This was huge loads of fun in early sacred game as well, where they had those massive deserts filled with orcs and skeletons

And welcome to DarkMatters YoodenVranx!

:)

gogo