Keen game dev for Sacred 3 apologizes and offers his game key

gogoblender

And this scares me

I mean...what if they try to make a Sacred 4?

:blink:

gogo

Somehow, I seriously doubt they will.

1.) Sacred 3 sucked.

2.) Sacred 3 didn't make them any money.

Ergo, there's NO justification for them to make a Sacred 4

• Like! 1

I guess, I mean I obviously cannot speak for them, that is unlikely to happen as those guys are former Sacred devs and therefore I don't think that they are interested in working together with DS, especially after what they have done to Sacred!

I would say the pushed up release date would have been to not try to compete with the consoles' releases of diablow-3. They would have known the only sales they would have made on the first day would have been people after the Name and Legacy of sacred.

Then after that first day, the reviews would have sunk any potential for casual buyers' sales. Also by releasing before diablow-ros, they get extra sales potential from people hoping to get something worth getting to tide them over. ... he said while holding up a hand guiltily.

I've since gotten diablow-3 and now really cannot justify sacred-3 as having been released as anything more than a Marketplace/Arcade download game for about $15.

I'd say the Diablo 3 release on consoles was a convenient coincidence...

Then again, after watching WAAAAAAY too many cop shows, there's no such thing as a coincidence..

I'm fairly certain that Blizzard made the release date for D3 on Console known early enough - and DS no doubt announced their release to be about the same time - so they could pull this sort of stunt.

And this scares me

I mean...what if they try to make a Sacred 4?

:blink:

gogo

Somehow, I seriously doubt they will.

1.) Sacred 3 sucked.

2.) Sacred 3 didn't make them any money.

Ergo, there's NO justification for them to make a Sacred 4

Supposedly, the working title of Sacred 3 had been Sacred: Citadel 2 during development but the marketing department decided to change it to Sacred 3. The junior developer also made it sound like Keen had no say in how the game would be developed and could only change superficial things within the given framework without having it to be approved.

So what does this say? That DS realized mid development that the game their marketing execs designed actually sucked and the only way they could sell enough units to make a profit was to dupe as many fans as they could into buying it? Or....or....

...I'm trying really, really hard to think of a counter argument but I just keep drawing a blank. So much for my attempts at being objective. :P

The saddest part about this though is that if my own experience in the corporate environment means anything, the person who actually made the most pertinent decisions in regards to the development of Sacred 3 that caused it to fail will not be held accountable, it'll be some other low ranking employee down the chain who had been just following orders that will be fired as the scapegoat.

Before this all happened with Sacred 3, I had been so sure the douche Bernd was at fault for the debacle of X-Rebirth and what a huge middle finger that had been to all their long time fans, especially with his backhanded apologies after the fact. Now, I'm not so sure. Well, I still think he's a douche but the release of X-Rebirth has some eerie similarities to Sacred 3, so now I think DS very likely played a major role there too.

Edit: I do gramr gud!

Edited by Shadeling

Here is my two cents to this. The devs or whoever did a survey and asked what people wanted in the game the most. They got there feedback and made what people wanted. The thing though is most of those people who responded probably never played a second of sacred to begin with. They didn't listen to a single peep of a true player of sacred.

The damage is done to the franchise and the real player base of it. The ONLY fix is to make sacred 4 the right way of which should have been sacred 3.

As for me I don't like it as it seems to play to much off of LoL and the others instead of what makes sacred, well sacred. The one thing I did like is they kept the seraphim and black seraphim in the mix.

• Like! 1

Here is my two cents to this. The devs or whoever did a survey and asked what people wanted in the game the most. They got there feedback and made what people wanted. The thing though is most of those people who responded probably never played a second of sacred to begin with. They didn't listen to a single peep of a true player of sacred.

The damage is done to the franchise and the real player base of it. The ONLY fix is to make sacred 4 the right way of which should have been sacred 3.

As for me I don't like it as it seems to play to much off of LoL and the others instead of what makes sacred, well sacred. The one thing I did like is they kept the seraphim and black seraphim in the mix.

That makes no sense what so ever. If they did a survey - WHO exactly did they bother asking? It certainly wasn't anyone in the community already established. You'd think DarkMatters is well known enough to Deep Silver as a place to advertise such a survey posted on their board (which, btw, I have yet to see posted there). In addition, you'd think they'd send an email to all the people who are registered on their forums. Heck, if they can send an email birthday card, they could spam their list once asking for input on what we want to see in Sacred 3.

Secondly, let's look at Sacred 3.. Instead of a lush, open world that you can roam endlessly, we got a linear brawler type game. Somehow, I just don't see anyone in this day and age asking for something like this. Not the fans of Sacred, nor gamers in general... I just don't see anyone saying "Gee.. I'm burned out on all these large, oversized worlds.. Gimme something old skool simpler." There might be a few people out there who crave that kind of thing, but overall I don't think there are that many.

That said, I somehow doubt seriously that Deep Silver's execs are stupid. Well... Let me clarify that. They're NOT entirely braindead to think that a linear game would be something we, the fans would want. Not after Sacred 1 and 2 gave us the whole open world experience.

So the idea of a survey is out. Why would they do a survey and NOT ask the fans - the one group of people almost guaranteed to buy the game - what they wanted to see?

If anything, Deep Silver has been going out of their way to guarantee Sacred 3 becomes a flop. The bean counters green-lighted a craptastic game that no one wants. They continued down this disastrous path even with an overwhelming TON of negative feedback when they gave people a tiny glimpse into what the game was going to be. They knew it would be a flop and did NOTHING about it.

As such, Sacred 4 is likely to never see the light of day. There's no justification in a sequel to the sequel because the current game isn't going to sell very well.

I'm personally of the opinion that if a S$ were to be made, you must make a S3: The Apology.

Honestly though, this is what's needed! When big companies do wrong, like fast food eateries, walmarts, when people write to them and it goes public, they have their little social media experts write long-worded blah blah letters saying they were sorry and why they felt they had to do it, and why they'll never do it again...

Where's ours?

:mafia:

gogo

As such, Sacred 4 is likely to never see the light of day. There's no justification in a sequel to the sequel because the current game isn't going to sell very well.

Probably not. And very carefully siad, hopefully not. Not if it'd be done in at all the same fashion.

And yet Two Worlds, an utterly craptacular game was followed by a sequel which was so much of an improvement over the first that for anyone who'd played both the only and most polite response was, "Are you sure you're the SAME company? Are you sure?"

• Like! 1

Probably not. And very carefully siad, hopefully not. Not if it'd be done in at all the same fashion.

And yet Two Worlds, an utterly craptacular game was followed by a sequel which was so much of an improvement over the first that for anyone who'd played both the only and most polite response was, "Are you sure you're the SAME company? Are you sure?"

Amen! No Sacred 4!

LOL, But that IS the way it should be. The 2nd game should be better than the first.

1.) First game is a weak attempt by programmers to write something.

2.) Should they make any money, the company can afford a better class of programmer either by hiring them or sending the already existing staff to school to learn how to program better.

• Like! 1
  • 3 months later...

I was so excited when I first heard that DS was making Sacred 3. But then was instantly crushed when I found out it wasn't even going to be an ARPG, just a fighting game on rails. This isn't the only game franchise Deep Silver has ruined. They did the same thing with Dead Island. I was all hyped for DI2 untill I found out it won't have a plot or quests, just a multiplayer game where you run around killing zombies.

Luckily Techland is making Dying Light for someone else, and it will be the game DI2 should have been. Looks like Deep Silver has become the European equivalent of EA.. :(