Unbended - Better than Graphic Novel!

Well, at least the style^^ Looks like Carolyn has gotten a meaty topic up at the Unbended forum, with some discussion on the game's visual goody style

Graphic style: I think there's a clear difference between a classic comic and a graphic novel. If we have to make such a comparison, UNBENDED will rather get the visual style of a graphic novel.

Ooh yeah!~ :bounce:

Head on over to here to read more:

Unbended graphic style

:bounce:

gogo

• Like! 1

GoGo, that was a misleading title. I read it as “Unbended, the comic book. Coming soon”.

But yes, reading about the new visual style of the game was very interesting and fulfilling. Its a monumental task to draw the entire world by hand, even it will be made of repeating pieces.

So the final result will look like a huge isometric living digital painting from DeviantArt?..

Epic. I’m speechless.

• Like! 1

GoGo, that was a misleading title. I read it as “Unbended, the comic book. Coming soon”.

But yes, reading about the new visual style of the game was very interesting and fulfilling. Its a monumental task to draw the entire world by hand, even it will be made of repeating pieces.

So the final result will look like a huge isometric living digital painting from DeviantArt?..

Epic. I’m speechless.

That's what I thought as well, playing a painting! I was looking at the some of the post cards... I'm trying to imagine actually "in" some of those images with their surreal feeling... is such a thing at all possible!

:dance:

gogo

It's the kind of ambitious, out of the box thing that this team's known for

making Unbended an "art piece" is a genuine, unique draw, and gives it instant collectible status

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Like! 1

I am looking at the Quest for Glory used in the first image... isn't that from same company that did that whole style of Roger Wilco space quest games?

That particular style of story telling lent itself well to this kind of graphics too

:)

gogo

I am looking at the Quest for Glory used in the first image... isn't that from same company that did that whole style of Roger Wilco space quest games?

Yes.

Sierra Entertainment made many games that looked similar in style. Quest for Glory and Space Quest series were some of their works.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes.

Sierra Entertainment made many games that looked similar in style. Quest for Glory and Space Quest series were some of their works.

Ahh, I thought so!

I actually adored playing this series. It's perfect for humor and misadventure... I'm going to love it if Unbended can use this type of feel for the kind of humor showcased by the Sacred series

gogo

Okay, I'm just gonna say right now that I always appreciated the free camera in SR2. When I play games in a locked isometric view, I have to remind myself that I don't have the luxury of a 360 spin for my view.

Okay, that's out of the way...you know my bias.

I actually like what I read about them going with a hand-drawn world. Some of those adventure games (point and click style) have some incredible artwork and while they aren't necessarily a game style I particularly enjoy, I have bought a couple simply on the basis of liking the artwork.

Now I am imagining something similar to that, only with the gameplay style of an ARPG, and I think my preference for a free camera can be ignored. It's a bold idea and will help to create a distinctive style for them to establish this new property. It's an incredibly cool idea and I can't even fathom how much work it will be to do it, but I think that the creative potential for it will make it worthwhile.

Hadn't actually reconciled that a drawn look like this would mean they could actually get away quite successfully with a non 3d world.

We're going to get a lof of peeps voicing objections over this though, as I know a fair number of peeps think that 3d is a "must have"... but in a case like this, if looking for something fresh, and that can pay homage to, the old game, I think this can definitely be a strength.

gogo