Well, I finally did it ...

Spock

Windows7 does support more then 16GB - might depend on the win7 version you choose from. Answers are "from what I know"

1st) everytime it depends on the program you run. a 32Bit Program will never use more then 2GB

2nd) only 64 bit programs can take profit of more ram

3rd) with more ram you're able to run more 32bit programs the same time with full use of the 2GB limitation before they start to use the pagefile. why - the memory controller of win7 can virtually serve the necessary memory in a 32bit adress range.

Beside

As lujate mentioned - be sure to connect all mobo power connectors you find. normaly all new powersupplies offers all needed connectors.

• Like! 1

- are the ssd connected to the right SATA port? the SATA II ports are often disabled for booting

- is the correct booting device choosen? SSD and not the DVD or any other device...

- is the BIOS working correct with SSDs (if its your first time with a SSD, there are some things to enable/disable)

Edited by Dorimil

I can't even get the BIOS screen to come up. I tried booting with no SATA connected and got the same response.

I'm waiting to hear from MSI Support.

Edited by Spock

I can't even get the BIOS screen to come up. I tried booting with no SATA connected and got the same response.

I'm waiting to hear from MSI Support.

Are you sure you connected everything right? Does your computer start making sound after you push power button? or you push the button and nothing happens?

can you expand a little please?

Edited by Ironwill

Any fans spinning up?

Which i7 and which mobo?

Could it be a BIOS issue, that needs an update?

EDIT: loved the comments on Windows so far lol

Edited by Timotheus
  • Like! 1

OK, I was hoping to entice some of you to at least visit my forum but I guess that's too much to hope for. Here is the first post I made when I first ordered my new system:

I just placed an order for a new computer. Unfortunately it will be another Windows computer since my oldest Windows system is so out of date the OS isn't even supported any more.

I decided to order parts to build my own, so will list some of the parts here so everyone has a chance to tell me where I went wrong and how I could have gotten "so much more for so much less". :P Just remember, I cannot afford to purchase the absolute newest, most powerful, and best of the best. I'm looking for something that will last 5-10 years with decent expansion capability if I need it.

Without further ado, I will start listing the components ordered:

]Intel Core i7-4790K Processor - Quad Core, 4.0GHz (8MB Cache, up to 4.10 GHz), 2 Memory Channels, 16 Max PCI Express Lanes ($357.84)

MSI z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard ($157.58)

Crucial MX100 Series 512GB SSD - 2.5" Form Factor, SATA III, AES-256 Encryption, 20nm MLC NAND Flash ($217.39)

Corsair Hydro Series H105 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Aluminum Material, 2 x 120mm Fans, 800 RPM - 2700 RPM Speed, 73 CFM Airflow, 37.7 dBA Noise Level, 3.9 mm/H20 Static Pressure ($101.11)

Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 1000W Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, 80 Plus Silver ($172.90)

Corsair Graphite 760T White Full Tower Window Case - 9 x Expansion Slots, 3 x 140mm LED Fans, 2 x Front 3.0 USB Connectors, 2 x Front 2.0 USB Connectors ($166.33) MIR -$20)

Kingston HyperX Fury Red 8GB Desktop Memory Module Kit x 2 - 1866MHz DDR3, CL10, DIMM ($80.44 x 2 = 160.87) MIR x 2 = -$60

What a whole penny discount for ordering 2!?

WD Black 2TB Desktop Hard Drive - 3.5", SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB Buffer ($145.97)

ASUS BC-12B1ST 12X Internal Blu-ray Drive Combo - E-Green, Blu-ray 3D Support, Data Protection, Disc Encryption II, Drag and Burn, OEM ($57.99)

Asus BW-12D1S-U/BLK/G/AS 12x Blu-Ray Burner - BD-R 12x, BD-R(DL) 8x, BD-R(LTH) 6x, BD-RE 2x, BD-RE(DL) 2x, DVD±R 16x, DVD+RW 8x, DVD-RW 6x, DVD±R(DL) 8x, DVD-RAM 5x, CD-R 40x, CD-RW 24x, Ext, USB 3.0 ($119.99)

And last but required. I was going to go with Windows 7 Pro but Punkin8tor talked me into this:

Windows 8.1 PRO FQC-06950 64-Bit, English, 1PK DSP OEM ($129.99)

OK, feel free to kibitz. ;)

I have been in touch with MSI Support and they seem to think I need to update the BIOS to a version compatible with the Processor. I will take the system to the local Best Buy tomorrow to see if they will temporarily install an older processor so they can update the BIOS. If they can and the system starts to work, then I will have to decide whether to keep the Windows 8.1 or (my real preference) return it for Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Spock

z97 board not compatible with i7 4790k? are they drunk or something?

I already knew the answer but double checked for you
http://www.msi.com/support/mb/Z97-GAMING-5.html#support-cpu
CTRL+F -> 4790k and enter,it is there.

Always awesome to have water cooler

Your Psu is overkill,I mean literally.You can never get close to 1000watts with a single gpu,even in 5 years.

Please stay away from Western Digital,all of my drives(both caviar blacks) died after 1 year of usage.Greatly slowed down read/write speed.

I tried registering to your forum when you first created this topic and I believe I have average English understanding.I can't seem to get past this

What day of the week is it and what is the first word, after the day, of the greeting at the top of the main website?

Thanks fro that compatibility link. Don't understand how I missed that. I have sent them a query about having them update the BIOS to get the board to work. They may just not have updated their website yet.

To answer your question about registering, you have to look at the main website index page, not the forum page. It helps if you have two tabs open, one for the main page and one for the forum registration. Here's a link that may help:

https://wildtangentfansite.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1096

Sorry if it seems hard but it's one of our options designed to keep Spammers out.

Edited by Spock
  • Like! 1

Please stay away from Western Digital,all of my drives(both caviar blacks) died after 1 year of usage.Greatly slowed down read/write speed.

Why?

I have got two 1TB HDD in use for three Years now, still on duty...no problems, no sector problems...

I am less concerned with the Harddrive than I am with Windows. I haven't opened the package yet, so may just return it to exchange for Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit ... IF I can ever get this system up and running! :(

To answer your question about registering, you have to look at the main website index page, not the forum page.

sorry I never knew your site had main page :o now I'll be in.

edit:I managed to login after using confirmation link.When I try to go to your link it says

"You are not authorised to read this forum."

Why?

I have got two 1TB HDD in use for three Years now, still on duty...no problems, no sector problems...

Then I was unlucky twice in a row

Edited by Ironwill

You aren't authorized to access the topic because you haven't finished the registration process. You should only be able to see a single forum, "The Loading Screen". In my other forum I called it "Purgatory". :P

Read the forum instructions at the top of the forum page top complete your registration.

Why so much trouble? None of us like Spammers and this is my way of trying to make sure they cannot access any of the non-public areas of our forum, which is more than the public can see. "The Loading Screen" is a private, hidden forum that only newly registered members and Admins can see. If you follow the instructions, an Admin will then allow you into the forum.

If you don't follow the instructions and just sit there, your account will be removed anywhere from 7 days to a month so our user list will be comprised almost completely of those who are real people and not Bots or Spammers.

If you post spam, no one can see it but you and the Admins and you won't be able to see it for long ...

OK, just accepted you as a "Full Member". You should now be able to see a LOT more in the forum. :)

I'm not sure it's a good idea to give your real name in the post though. It's only viewable by other members but, in general, it's not a good idea to publish any information that could possibly lead anyone to you as a physical entity.

Edited by Spock

You may be but I do my best not to do so. I don't have many "friends"; those I do have, I know.

BTW, the i7-4790K is listed further down the list under Haswell Refresh. I have decided to send the board back to the OEM to ensure that the BIOS is installed properly. I will have to wait longer for my system but will not have to worry about someone else messing it up.

Edited by Spock

Thanks, so do I.

What do you think of my forum? I know it isn't as flash as this one but I'm hoping that it will help its members as much as this one helps theirs.

• Like! 1

I like game review and games mobile sections.Mobile gamers mostly communicate through facebook which I dislike.Programming would have been cool for me if I was a good boy to study enough to follow the skill tree of Programming at high school then college.As a lifeless gamer it is my shame to hear Fate first time here...

After watching some videos of it,I feel even sadder about missing this.Seems like an enjoyable game

I just noticed and accepted your membership request. :)

Why didn't you use the same username over there as you use here? As soon as you mentioned gem stones I had an idea who it was ... ;)

No need unless you wish to. Just curious. Just let any of the Admins know if you want to change it. That option is restricted to alleviate any confusion over the possibility of rapidly changing usernames.

• 2 weeks later...