[Dev] Diablo 2 Fallen mod for Sacred 2

Flix

If I would be the one working on this mod, I would completely skip the Tempelguardian and, instead, use the Dryade again with, as far as possible, some skin modifications.

That would be my take on that and if it is possible, that is, what I would maybe do, once the mod is released.

I can't wait to see what this character would wear. You'll have to let me know the location of the magical place that springs forth an entire character's worth of replacement equipment for you.

I'm poking fun, but seriously thank you for the interest in the mod.

Cant wait to try this mod, just stopping by to say keep up the good work and thanks for supporting this amazing game.

Happy to have you here on the boards with us Kenobi87, modders make every day here a surprise^^

Welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1

That is more than a nice Christmas present as I shall be back from my winterholiday more or less exactly when You, Flix, are looking forward to release your beta version of this Mod. I hardly can wait to see this day comming! ;)

• Like! 1

Happy 2015 to all Sacred players! :D

Here is your present: Diablo 2 Fallen Open Beta.

• Install with the Generic Mod Enabler just as with all of my Sacred 2 mods. Download is about 320mb, unpacked it's around 650mb, so you will need at least that much free HD space.
  • There's no documentation for it. My recommendation is not to have any other mods installed if you're going to play D2F. The mod has its own custom texture pack included so Wardust's Serious Textures mod is not necessary. In fact, it's best to avoid it for testing since it was made for CM 1.40, so it's now outdated.
  • There's lots I haven't documented or posted about in this thread yet. I'd encourage everyone to report back anything, good or bad. Anything you notice that's changed, what works and what doesn't work.
  • Music is not included. The music is all ready but I need to test all the songs for crashes, which happens sometimes with the .ogg files Audacity produces. It's a big collection (~900mb) so I only want to upload it once.
  • My recommedation is to set "commentary" to OFF. The characters will still speak at certain times (inventory full, solve quest, find unique, etc.), and I believe all of those instances have been replaced with D2 character voices. If you don't turn commentary off you will hear a weird mix of vanilla and D2F character voices.
  • The fonts needed for the interface are located in pak/fonts.

Here are some basic notes about what's going on in the mod that I may not have mentioned:

• Trophies are now charms. Their power is greater, anywhere from 1.2 -2.0 times the original trophy effect. In addition to dropping from enemy types, some are added to potion droplists and trader potion droplists. Characters with Alchemy/Energy Shield Lore will see them much more often. This may have been overkill with trying to make Alchemy more appealing. Merchants now sell Stamina and Antidote potions as well as Health. Antidote potions now offer temporary DOT mitigation (unlocked by Alchemy skill) when consumed in addition to the instant cure.
  • Balance.txt changes: Reduced the experience penalty at high levels. Tier 14 and 15 items have slightly better chances to drop. The effect of the Magic Find skill is greater (may be too great). Merchants have a greater quantity in their inventories (quality is not affected). Enemy aggression range is much higher. The maximum run speed in the game is much higher. Enemy respawn time is longer (I think. I increased the number). RangeclearFOW is higher. Chances to find runes are slightly lower. Potion durations are a bit more consistent across the potion sizes and difficulties.
  • I added many new bonuses to champions (inspired by the Survival Mod), and also rearranged/expanded the skill selection for most D2F character classes.
  • I increased the run speed of all the mounts. I also boosted the run speed of the Gar'Colossus. He should be a bit more frightening now. Also some of the character starting gear is removed and/or tweaked. The Barbarian and Paladin could probably use different equipment, and I'm considering stripping down the High Elf some more (wrists, boots). In fact there may still be a small display glitch with the High Elf default wrists I need to correct.
  • All gods are replaced, but only two have new statues so far (thank you Silver Fox!). The others have vanilla statues that kind of make sense for their personality. God quests are altered to reflect the new gods.
  • Character class quests are not rewritten yet so they don't really make sense with the D2F characters.
  • No changes whatsoever to mounts. No new bosses or enemy types yet. Certain names may be tweaked (e.g., all Dryads are Amazons now, so Blood Dryads are now Blood Valkyries).
  • Horse CA changes are the same as in Enhanced Spells. However they have new icons.
  • Only the Amazon has a new character portrait at character creation so far. The others are still vanilla.
  • There is a Dragonbone armor from Skyrim that drops for the Druid. It's incomplete, and has the same bonuses as Kha-Beleth's Sovereignty as placeholders. Don't get too attached to it.
  • There's a small amount of new D2 gear. Look out for Wormskull and Griffon's Eye, as well as bear pelts for the Druid (again thanks Silver Fox!)
  • Quest rewards for boss enemies and long chain quests are now better! You can now get guaranteed uniques, set items, or even legendaries from completing certain quests (no spoilers yet, but I will release the master list of new rewards on official release). Gold and XP rewards for ALL quests are also increased greatly especially at higher difficulties. No more is grinding the best way to get XP and good loot. Quest away!

Here's a couple things that are still "wrong" with the new spells that I haven't fixed yet:

• Conviction and Lower Resist don't seem to lower resistances. I want to implement "sensitivity" to elemental damages like Icy Ember and Fiery Evanscence have, since lowering enemy armor is actually surprisingly ineffective.
  • Bone Armor's Block Close Combat doesn't work.
  • Strafe only fires a max of 2 arrows. I'd like to somehow achieve 3-5 shots at maximum.
  • Holy Bolt doesn't Banish Undead (yet). I'm working on it. All other effects work.

First post is updated with new info.

I may very well have forgotten something here but I am drunk and in-between New Year's Eve parties and I wanted to crank this out as a presnt. At any rate enjoy yourselfs! :D

An another enormous piece of work for the game Flix

And on New Year's day too, when most had to fend off hangovers, you gift us with a gem.

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Like! 1

Flix, you have not used all the textures wardust mod. For example, there are no new kobolds. Is voluntary on your part to keep the atmosphere of diablo?

In that case, yes. There's no place for green kobolds in Diablo 2 Fallen. But most textures that were removed were armor for the female playable characters because they had errors like adding the metal shader to skin or causing problems with custom skin colors. Silver Fox helped me look through them and we fixed what we could but some changes just didn't suit the mod anyway.

All of the other textures should be present.

• Like! 1

I'm moving to Texas tomorrow (yeehaw). I will probably not be doing any modding or much responding for a week or so, but I can check the forums on my phone.

Sorry to be off topic but... Dang, that's awesome!

We're in, wait for it... - 30 degrees Celsius here!! :oooo:

Hope the move went well, and yer in the sweet rays of the sun

we now return you to your daily diablo

:gogo:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

NO NPC's say anything? 8| Or that an exaggeration? Can you give me some examples of quests where there is missing dialogue so I can check it out? Someone PM'd me a little while ago about missing dialogue in "my mod" but they never said what mod they were talking about.

I have absolutely no text from NPC's at all, neither does my friend. Everything else is fine, like I can see my character stats and read my skills, all my menus are fine. It's just whenever I talk to an NPC it's just an empty dialogue box with an "accept" or "decline" option. There are so many quest in the game I still to this day want to do a 100% run, was looking forward to it with your D2 mod (which again is awesome!)

It only happens on the Diablo 2 mod once it's installed. I have the steam version of the game, Sacred 2 Gold (2.65.2 I think, whichever one has the hotfix for chat) and the latest CM patch.

I did not install using GME btw, does it honestly make a difference installing with GME? I just dragged the folders to the appropriately labeled folders.

My only gripes so far is the Temple Guardian is pretty darn underwhelming (the enhanced spells mod did a way better job, you really did it justice) and I'd rather lose the D2 immersion of it and have it more function-able like in your enhanced spell mod. Other gripe is the Barbarian whirlwind is pretty bad, you'd be better off just giving him something like the hurricane spell you gave the Druid and letting people deal with it, if you can't make the Barb spin appropriately just have spinning animation based on one of the wind spells surround him or something similar. You've done so well with the mod we seriously don't mind if you cut some corners, at least I don't.

Lastly, idk how or if it's hard to do, but giving us difficulty options would be sweet. Like balance.txt files to go with the mods for normal, hell, and nightmare mode maybe? I haven't gone past Silver yet, so idk if it does ramp up a lot, just thought I'd see if that was something that could be easily done and if not focus what time you do have on polishing the mod :P

But seriously thank you so much for the mod, my friend and I are completely in love with Sacred 2 all over again. I really look forward to any updates.

edit: O also the Assassin (Temple Guardian) buff pet just kinds of stands around waiting for it's spells to cooldown. I think you fixed this in Enhanced spellmod just allowing it to autoattack only.

Edited by m3chladon
  • Like! 1

NO NPC's say anything? 8| Or that an exaggeration? Can you give me some examples of quests where there is missing dialogue so I can check it out? Someone PM'd me a little while ago about missing dialogue in "my mod" but they never said what mod they were talking about.

I have absolutely no text from NPC's at all, neither does my friend. Everything else is fine, like I can see my character stats and read my skills, all my menus are fine. It's just whenever I talk to an NPC it's just an empty dialogue box with an "accept" or "decline" option. There are so many quest in the game I still to this day want to do a 100% run, was looking forward to it with your D2 mod (which again is awesome!)

It only happens on the Diablo 2 mod once it's installed. I have the steam version of the game, Sacred 2 Gold (2.65.2 I think, whichever one has the hotfix for chat) and the latest CM patch.

I did not install using GME btw, does it honestly make a difference installing with GME? I just dragged the folders to the appropriately labeled folders.

My only gripes so far is the Temple Guardian is pretty darn underwhelming (the enhanced spells mod did a way better job, you really did it justice) and I'd rather lose the D2 immersion of it and have it more function-able like in your enhanced spell mod. Other gripe is the Barbarian whirlwind is pretty bad, you'd be better off just giving him something like the hurricane spell you gave the Druid and letting people deal with it, if you can't make the Barb spin appropriately just have spinning animation based on one of the wind spells surround him or something similar. You've done so well with the mod we seriously don't mind if you cut some corners, at least I don't.

Lastly, idk how or if it's hard to do, but giving us difficulty options would be sweet. Like balance.txt files to go with the mods for normal, hell, and nightmare mode maybe? I haven't gone past Silver yet, so idk if it does ramp up a lot, just thought I'd see if that was something that could be easily done and if not focus what time you do have on polishing the mod :P

But seriously thank you so much for the mod, my friend and I are completely in love with Sacred 2 all over again. I really look forward to any updates.

edit: O also the Assassin (Temple Guardian) buff pet just kinds of stands around waiting for it's spells to cooldown. I think you fixed this in Enhanced spellmod just allowing it to autoattack only.

I fixed the no text in game issue. Using Windows 7, has something to do with one of the fonts you have in your D2 mod not installed or something

1) Go to Sacred2/Locale/en_UK folder

2)Open ListFontGroups with notepad

3)Clear file and paste following then save

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<suixml version="0.0.1.0">

<!-- the Name-Attribute must be the internal font name -->

<Fonts>

<Font Name="Monotype Corsiva" File="MTCORSVA.ttf"/>

<Font Name="Calibri" File="calibri.ttf"/>

</Fonts>

<!-- here you can use symbolic/aliased names for fonts -->

<FontGroups>

<FontGroup Name="CaptionFontGroup">

"Monotype Corsiva"

</FontGroup>

<FontGroup Name="TextFontGroup">

"Calibri"

</FontGroup>

</FontGroups>

</suixml>

Hope this helps, I now have complete text back into my game. I suppose it would also work if you save one of the original ListFontGroup files from the vanilla version, I took this setup from an old post. Font works for me.

I fixed the no text in game issue. Using Windows 7, has something to do with one of the fonts you have in your D2 mod not installed or something

I provided the fonts with the download. Did you not install them, or did they not function correctly after you installed them?

My only gripes so far is the Temple Guardian is pretty darn underwhelming

Well, that's a little vague. If you can say something more specific it may give me something to work with. Considering a big chunk of his CA's aren't that different from TG CA's, it can't be that bad. So what's the problem, is it killing power or survivability? Or do you just mean the graphics of the CA's?

Other gripe is the Barbarian whirlwind is pretty bad, you'd be better off just giving him something like the hurricane spell you gave the Druid and letting people deal with it, if you can't make the Barb spin appropriately just have spinning animation based on one of the wind spells surround him or something similar.

Ah, but he does spin - I was actually pleased with getting that to work. He just doesn't spin with any 2h or ranged weapons, because the animations are copied from the Dryad's Darting Assault spin. Whirlwind is in essence Darting Assault with a full 360 degree range right from the start - hardly weak.

Lastly, idk how or if it's hard to do, but giving us difficulty options would be sweet.

Yeah, that's a great idea, and easy to implement by editing balance.txt. I think I'll make an "Inferno" difficulty version.

O also the Assassin (Temple Guardian) buff pet just kinds of stands around waiting for it's spells to cooldown. I think you fixed this in Enhanced spellmod just allowing it to autoattack only.

Yeah...but isn't a lot more boring to just have him swiping enemies with his weapon over and over, as opposed to him casting venom on himself, and blasting mobs with stun and knockback CA's?

I'm very glad to hear it. This is just a rough beta, so expect more polished updates in the future leading up to an official version 1.0. That being said, try to keep in mind this isn't anything like a final cut, and you're basically helping me out by testing. So following the instructions by using the GME would be a big help. Does it make a difference for installing? Probably not, except for leaving lots of room for user error (you say you installed everything yourself, but I have to take your word for it). However the real headache will be uninstalling, and installing new versions and updates to the mod.

• Like! 1

Good evening dear companions. Flix is that the work "Enemy design tweaks, new hero monsters, and bosses" will be present in version 1.0. :blush:

Well my friend I can't exactly say what features will appear in what version yet, but in the first post I'm maintaining a fairly accurate list of things I'm currently working on and planning. :)

Thanks for feedback! Very interesting. I expected all kinds of unpredictable behavior with the party skills.

Probably I would need to change the buff so it boosts Health Regeneration rather than base hitpoints. ~Grumble~

Yeah sorry that 'someone' was me refferring to the diablo 2 mod :)

The fix m3chladon suggested worked for me as well. It showed no text at all I quests and it did not show the levels in skills either. With the fix it does.

Now the only problem remains that I cant see the text on the buttons of the main menu.

Using :

2.65.2 build 1837 Sacred gold steam version

Windows 8.1

Community patch 1.50 + diablo 2 mod + music pack (loving it!)

Anyway, great mod as far as I've played and it was even worth it already without the quest text ;)

Edited by WhiteLG