Stat point allocation math

So I am tooling around with a few character builds right now. Distributing skill points is pretty straight forward as you can see what you are getting in a fairly straight forward manner. Plus, the Sacred wiki has some handy charts to see where diminishing returns start so you can plan how to min-max.

Stat allocation has been bothering me however. With the exception of my Totem Dryad who I spent nearly all my points in Intelligence with some Stamina to help regens, non-spellcasting classes are confounding me with regards to how I should spend my points.

I know that weapons have attributes they are associated with but does pumping those respective attributes really make that much of a difference later on? Or, in the case of melee characters, is it better to pump Vitality, Stamina, and/or Willpower for the added survivability and regen utility?

Since combat in Sacred seems less about clicking things to death and more about using your combat arts to the fullest potential I find myself questioning where the best investment of points can be found to get the most return.

From what I understand the effects of stats on damage was severely nerfed after the expansion, so much so that players stopped bothering with them in favor of vitality and willpower.

• Like! 1

If you are building a close combat fighter, than survivability would be much more important than whatever damage increase you can get from stats, so vitality+willpower is a good choice. Damage bonus from stats is not as big as what you can get simply by keeping your weapons at optimal item level, and extra defense never hurts. For a Seraphim or a Temple Guardian who use energy shield buffs willpower becomes better investment than vitality because it boosts the shield as well as magic resistance. If you are building a ranged character and considering a glass canon approach, putting some points to dexterity can be a valid choice, but for melee characters it's simply not worth it.

• Like! 1

The only damage relevant stat I have seen people advocating is Intelligence for mages. So I guess Dex and Strength can be largely overlooked then in favor of survivability and so on.

What about Stamina? It seems like it has some pretty significant impacts on your regens or is better to rely on items for that?

With I&B addon, more and more people began advocating for the active usage of Regeneration Per Hit socketables to recharge the combat arts of melee and ranged fighters. It really is a good approach, and if you take it investment in Stamina becomes unnecessary. Another approach is to push Chance to halve regeneration time to 100%. But if you don't have Bargainer characters to supply you with good RPH and Chance to halve rings and amulets and/or plan to fill your sockets with something else, Stamina can come in handy.

Unlike Strength, Stamina had not become redundant with the expansion, because it still has noticeable effect, but the items can do better job at reducing the regen times. So take your pick - it actually depends only on how much gear-dependent you want your character to be and how much time you plan to spend hunting for the said gear.

• 8 years later...

As this is one of the top results on Google when going for "Sacred 2 attributes", I'm going to share my experience with them:

Strength and Dexterity - should be ignored completely on level ups. Getting it from gear is fine, but wasting points in them is basically meaningless. Miniscule attack/defense increases and +1 to weapon damage every couple of points is almost nothing. Not to mention that the effect on weapon damage gets reduced the higher the level of the weapon is.

Vitality - the HP gain from Vitality is not that high, but more HP never hurts. The amount of HP per point increases as you level up (same as Constitution, so it can give you a couple thousand more HP at the later levels and some bonus regen (which increases the regen of Constitution Mastery).

Stamina - very good for characters that depend on regeneration times and can't make use of Regen per Hit (pure spellcasters). It offers great benefits, especially if you're using multiple buffs, but don't overdo it. Stamina had basically infinite value and allowed you to pump CAs to even more astronomical heights, but that is no longer the case. As Ice & Blood capped the max number of consumed runes to 200, there is a possibility of overkilling regen times to the point of not mattering, especially on High Elf for example. Once you reach 200 consumed runes for a CA, the regen time will only ever go down as you gain more and more Stamina with level-ups, you may find towards the end of life of your character, that you actually overkilled it early on and now those points would be better spent elsewhere. Those extra 50 points you pumped in on level-ups might ultimately turn out to be a difference between 0.7 regen and 0.6 regen. Meaningless. However, if you are not planning on playing a character to the 150+ level range, you can safely put points here whenever you need to.

Intelligence - the best stat for characters depending on spells. Unlike strength & dexterity, it still increases spell damage in a meaningful way, provides the very important Spell Intensity so that you spells always do full damage and as an additional bonus cherry on this already very generous cake, every 50 points increases your spell crit chance by 1%. Later on, you will get more crit chance from Intelligence than your lore skill. Useless for weapon characters, but if you're playing a caster, any point here is never wasted.

Willpower - I would only ever put points here on characters that make use of shields, meaning Seraphim and Temple Guardian. The increase to shield strength is actually very decent. Every point increases it by a very small %. The higher your base shield, the more shield Willpower will add. A single point can mean 100+ shield power in the late game. Without shields, it only increases Spell Resistance (1 per point, very low) and slightly reduces duration of secondary damage effects (not worth spending points on).

So to sum it up, there are only 3 relevant attributes, 4 for the Seraphim and Temple Guardian. I can't stress enough how not worth it Strength and Dexterity are since Ice & Blood.

Edited by idbeholdME
  • Like! 1
1 hour ago, idbeholdME said:

I can't stress enough how not worth it Strength and Dexterity are since Ice & Blood.

I think the I&B player base would agree with you.

This also why the major mods for Sacred 2 restore their effects to the Fallen Angel values.

• Like! 1
On 9/23/2023 at 9:47 PM, Flix said:

I think the I&B player base would agree with you.

This also why the major mods for Sacred 2 restore their effects to the Fallen Angel values.

Yeah, I might try toying with the scaling value to make the attributes at least somewhat relevant. It was simply in balance.txt IIRC? Currently not at my PC so can't check but I think I remember seeing your post about this somewhere before.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Strength and Dexterity are giving around ~45%-60% BASE damage boost to weapon which level that is same as character level
By leveling it you can potentially get another 40%
So ~25-27% more total damage compared to not leveling (from 145-160% to 185-200%), which is pretty solid.

It only affects weapon damage and +damage rings damage socketed into weapons and not benefit such ring anywhere else. So it can be much less powerful, depending on it.

But it can also be much more powefrul with one trick. You need to use low level weapon with several sockets and +damage rings inside it. High level rings will increase weapon equip level requirement, but not weapon actual level, so attributes will give a lot of damage. In experiments it was giving around twice as much damage (level two weapon with two sockets with niobium rings) compared to normal weapon without leveling damage attributes. Downsides are losing modifiers from weapon (it will be low level) and opportunity cost of leveling other attributes, but still very strong.
Even outside of such build always socket +damage rings in weapon first to get >45% increasd damage from them

• Like! 1

Yeah, the weapon level has a massive impact. But it is very counter-intuitive that you get more benefit from lower level weapons. Boosting the attribute scaling value in balance.txt either to Fallen Angel values or somewhere inbetween seems like the best solution.

But interesting find regarding the damage rings in weapons and that atttibutes affect them. I didn't put damage rings into weapons on my dual wielders, because it only increases the damage of the one weapon, not both. So it's still probably worth it putting them into other gear and not the weapons. But a valid point for 1 weapon builds (2 handed or 1+shield).

Edited by idbeholdME