Television shows

I'm looking for some good tv shows. I like to have something on when I'm home alone or eating at my desk. I just treated myself to Firefly + Serenity, and holy hell was that good! I also really like Rick and Morty and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Is Walking Dead really that good? I'm sick to death of zombies, and I was never really that excited when they first started to trend again a decade ago or so.

The Big Bang Theory just seems to have gotten unbearably bad. I dunno what happened but somehow I went from thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread to wanting to punch all the characters.

Since Halloween is coming up I've been marathoning all the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes.

• Like! 1

Les Faucheurs de marguerites / Die Grashüpfer / The Grasshoppers

Took me quite a while to get the DVD's. Sadly they are available only in french and not in german. GRRRRRRRRRRR

No sender runs it any more :(

I devoured the series in german as a small child. It shows the beginnings of flying. Grandgrandpa was still living and he commented all with his own experience. He started as an apprentice carpenter at an airplane factory in Frankfurt 1912 when 14 years old. Luckily he was never accepted as a combat pilot because the factory owner considered him to valuable for plane building/testing. Was luckily because my grandpa was born in not before decembre 1919 and combat pilot lives were measured in minutes of combat flying. He was one of the founders of the local glider club and so I got my flight license for sailplanes when I was 16 with just paying the license fee. Practics lessons were for free,

• Like! 1

I'm looking for some good tv shows. I like to have something on when I'm home alone or eating at my desk. I just treated myself to Firefly + Serenity, and holy hell was that good! I also really like Rick and Morty and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

Is Walking Dead really that good? I'm sick to death of zombies, and I was never really that excited when they first started to trend again a decade ago or so.

The Big Bang Theory just seems to have gotten unbearably bad. I dunno what happened but somehow I went from thinking it was the greatest thing since sliced bread to wanting to punch all the characters.

Since Halloween is coming up I've been marathoning all the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror episodes.

The walking dead is about the people and how they deal with the apocalypse more than the horror aspect of zombies. They use the monsters as a back drop for how people treat each other and how their true selves come out when pushed in stressful times. It's amazing.

• Like! 1

IMO, no. Any potential it has is outweighed by what I can only describe as a ridiculous amount of gratuitous gore.
  • Like! 1

Post-apocalypse isn't usually my bag anyway, regardless of the hook (zombies, mutants, cannibals, evil government, etc.).

I guess I can look into this boom of super hero television shows. Seems like there's half a dozen airing now. Flash, Arrow, Daredevil, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter. I just started watching Gotham last week and it seems pretty cool. Basically a crime show but you get to see all the future heroes and villains of Batman before they grew into those roles.

I'll have to check out Legends just 'cuz I like Sean Bean.

Post-apocalypse isn't usually my bag anyway, regardless of the hook (zombies, mutants, cannibals, evil government, etc.).

I guess I can look into this boom of super hero television shows. Seems like there's half a dozen airing now. Flash, Arrow, Daredevil, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter. I just started watching Gotham last week and it seems pretty cool. Basically a crime show but you get to see all the future heroes and villains of Batman before they grew into those roles.

I'll have to check out Legends just 'cuz I like Sean Bean.

Dare Devil was absolutely incredible. Less on the super and more on the hero. Very well done and very grounded. Start with that one.

IMO, no. Any potential it has is outweighed by what I can only describe as a ridiculous amount of gratuitous gore.

I don't know about gratuitous. It's rather realistic if you think about the given circumstances. They have to kill to survive. To not show that would just be strange. If it's not for you I understand.

• 2 weeks later...

This season I'm watching Heroes Reborn. And I'm waiting for new episodes of Person of Interest. I like Gotham, but I missed the first couple of episodes this season, so I will just binge watch it later.

This season I'm watching Heroes Reborn. And I'm waiting for new episodes of Person of Interest. I like Gotham, but I missed the first couple of episodes this season, so I will just binge watch it later.

I haven't gotten to watch season four of personoff interest yet. Heroes reborn isn't living up to the hype yet for me. I really hope it had a killer ending or I'm going to say they're never going to reclaim their old glory. HRG was the wrong character to base the series around.

Season four(PoI) was good, I loved the finale, especially the last few minutes.

Heroes is about what I expected it to be. I would have loved it to have had a few more of the old characters, but it's been years and the actors moved on. I am hoping it will pick up some, and more of the characters will be coming together, and plot lines will start to converge. I like Noah, but I agree they should have focused on someone else. Look up and watch Heroes: Darkmatters if you haven't yet.

Also remember that season one of Heroes got off to a slow start, I blame it on the number of characters and plot lines that needed to be introduced. At least the writing in Reborn is more consistent than season four was.

Edited by toskr

Season four I think was second best. I liked the Havoc Character and how he got stronger with others around. I think the story line was pretty good.

Season one was slow on action at first but the character drama was really good even in the beginning.

This season is just incoherent. It could be good but they need to pick it up. I haven't watched this week yet but last week was improving.

I think they are taking too much time setting up the plot. This is supposed to only be 13 episode run. It would be nice if they would get to the point before they run out of episodes. This season doesn't seem to draw you in like season one did. And it needs to if they want there to be another season after this one. But, I will watch it 'til the end and continue yelling at the tv whenever I think I've gone too long without my Hiro fix, which has been a lot lately.

One thing that I do like, is that they seem to have settled on a name for the heroes, "evos". It is better than "specials" or the nothing before that.

I hope it will pick up once they start interacting more with each other.

Edited by toskr
  • 1 month later...

Here are few I'm watching or Watched : Agents of Shield, Flash, Arrow, The Leftovers, Mr. Robot, Supernatural, Beauty and The Beast, Criminal Minds, Daredevil, Game of Thrones, Limitless etc.

Just started watching Jessica Jones last night...made it through the 1st 3 episodes. A lot grittier/real than I thought it would be. Typically when a person has super powers, those are front and center in the show and seem to drive the whole story.

Example: hero is trapped in a building but has super-strength...simply bash a hole thru a wall and live to fight another day. Jessica Jones doesn't do that. The solutions to her problems are mundane and plausible. while the powers she has do play a role, it's more a complimentary aspect.

So far really liking it.

• 2 weeks later...