Grim Dawn is now content complete

Now that I've been back gaming in Grim Dawn for a couple weeks, thought I'd stop by w/ an update...

As Knuckles knows from playing Sacred w/ me for hours on end, I prefer to build melee fighters. I have a pure soldier at level 61 and a witchblade (soldier/occultist) at level 25.

The devotion "Tempest" has a nice passive skill "Reckless Tempest". On my level 61 soldier, I have Tempest up to level 12 now and while it can't be directly controlled, it does some nice damage. I've boosted it's effect by focusing on lightning and electrocute damage.

And while I don't usually do pet-based builds, I found epic ring called Marrow Band which grants "Stalwart Guardian (5% chance when hit)". I actually found 2 of the rings. So I sometime actually have two guardians running around. They don't do the best damage but they'll draw enemy attacks away from my toon with their Taunting Roar skill.

I'm having trouble deciding what devotions to use on my witchblade but with respec so inexpensive I can afford to play around w a few different ones (I was annoyed during beta because respec got so expensive, glad to see they made respec part of the game play). And I need a few more devotion points to spend before I reach the really interesting constellations.

• Like! 1

We could almost be called the Bash Brothers as I was all Gladiators for quite awhile until I started playing with Dark Elves and Dwarfs...Sacred 2 was ALL Shadow Warrior.

Seems all my melee characters in GD are 2-handers lately and usually Warders. Going Physical w/ either Cold or Lightning. One item proc that I just cannot get enough of is Elemental Seal. Man I love this proc. Epsecially with a melee character as it procs quite often under ranged enemies. Probably my fav proc for any 2h melee build

As far as Devotions......I find the Kraken is a must for my 2h builds. It has sooooo much damage boost +120% all dmg, +80& phys dmg, +20% attack speed, +5% move speed and +15% Crit dmg....it's not a huge investment to get so you should be able to enable whole constellation by Act 3.

Still cruising along with my Lightning Warder...only serious fight I had was with Bolvar in Elite so far....had to kite numerous times

Welp my Ligtning Warder hit a serious road block in the Bastion of Chaos (Elite). The end boss just laughed and laughed and laughed at my lightning strikes....after 3 deaths and not getting him below 50% health, I decided I might have to re-think the build. It crushes Veteran and Elite up to Act III. But for some reason chaos-based enemies seem to shrug off my best combos.

Sure part of the reason is my Devotion tree is a mess...always go in with the intention of getting resists but the offensive procs just seem way too tasty to pass by. So my resists are never where they should be when I approach the end of the game. Sure sooner or later I'll break down and build a more defensive character but probably later than sooner.

While I still want to fix or more likely remake this character, think I'll try yet another build I started but never went far with. Going to re-try my Cold/Slow based Spellbreaker....should be really good at crowd control....only big decision is do I go with Ring of Steel or Olexra's Flash Freeze?

Also had some thoughts on using Trojan's Sky Shard but have no idea how good it is at higher levels/difficulties

language packages are re-activated! but without the additional content.

our old-man-group is still on their way...char level at 40-42 at the moment.

it is a little bit annoying, that everybody has to collect these three artifacts...drop rate is too low for a 4-player-MP. we have farmed the region twice and got only 6 of the needed 12...quest related items should have a modified drop rate while the quest is active.

• 2 weeks later...

That's how I read it too....I haven't made the plunge over to HC yet....though not because of perma-death. Typically if a character dies once or twice I start to lose interest and rarely play them. It's mostly because the stash won't transfer between SC and HC and I don't want to find all those blueprints/components from scratch.

For those that don't mind editors, there are a couple out there that can reset HC characters and revive them. So if I was going to do the Crucible with a HC character I would do that or simply copy character file and save before going in.

• 1 month later...

So I became unemployed and haven't played GD in 2 months or more. Logged in today and found the Crucible DLC.

Sadly after 2 months of not playing, I've forgotten the finer points of my build and am uncertain about what to do w/ it next! :( Oh well, must be time to start a new toon!!!

Sorry about the work troubles Mike....hopefully you find something soon

Oh and on the Crucible.....do not, I repeat do not go in with a weak or low level character...you will get your arse handed to you....and make sure you have both a strong Area of Effect and strong single target skill....most of my characters have one or the other...got up to wave 95 on Aspirant (the easiest of the 3 tiers) before I really started having problems...most of my characters are melee and mobs are starting to be an issue. Currently in Challenger tier but progress is slow. Also for you HC guys...a death in the Crucible is premanent just like in regular game :o

So I will probably start a new character, probably still melee but heavy on crowd control...most likely go with Olexra's Flash Freeze or Ring of Steel....or maybe even Sigil of Consumption/Curse of Frailty...maybe with something like Blitz or Shadow Stirke as a last gasp escape skill

• 5 weeks later...

first DLC is published...a lot work on balancing (necessary or not...) was done...

still MP is buggy.

1) we still have got chrashes while porting. on of us will send crash reports at 2 of 3 ports. doesn't matter if he used normal rifts or personal. complete hardware-check finnished: RAM; mem-test without errors, HDD ok, no abnormal temps, no OC. the only thing is, he runs Win 7 in 32-bit mode. but a second guy does the same and has got no problems.

software also checked, drivers are updated, files checked by Steam. Steam and GD re-installed

2) I am the only one of us four who upgrades to Win10. Since then I am not able to host MP-sessions...all the others (Win 7) can not join anymore (server is not responding)

3) we all have got sometimes massive lags. answer from Crate: "it is an problem with your ISP!"...lol what? we all have got broadband connection with at least 50 mbit

4) GD is the only game with these massive problems. Other games runs fine even in MP and we tested a lot...

don't get me wrong...GD is still a great game, but you should play SP at the moment. We are discussing to change the game for our weekly session...

Edited by Dorimil
  • 8 months later...

after a while an update of our "Old-Man-Group":

a lot of updates later the crashes were les...only 1-2 at an evening. also no problems with Win 7/8 and 10). so it is playable again.

our group has got a lot of discussion about HC/SC and now we play SC. Finished normal with level 53/54 and now in Act II on elite.

still a lot of fun (again) ;)

• Like! 1

dorimil I have a very basic version of Grim Dawn ...I actually saw it online last night, installed Steam on my laptop and saw that I'd purchased at least something called Grim Dawn... :D ... This the version you guys are using to play together?

:D

gogo

atm there is only the basic version and a dlc "crucible" which does not touch the MP-Part, it is SP-only. so yes, this should be the version we are playing.

there will be another dlc coming with a new char and a addon later this year. our group decided to buy both. afaik the new char is also not neccessary for all in MP, but the addon brings a new region, so this should be a "must-have" in MP. ;)

we play totally self-found, but our group seems to be overpowered! even on elite now it is more harvesting the mobs than fighting, even heroes doesn't last long enough to read their names! :starwars: only bosses could stop us for a while. we will see what act II will show us tonight

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday Crate released a big patch. main point weas to prepare the game for the upcoming addon. but therre were also a lot of bugfixes and balancing ponts.

big problem is again the MP. it is for the moment unplayable because it crashes everytime you want to interact with an NPC, which means no quests, no trading! we posted that it immediately in the steam forum and after a while it was confirmed by Crate. SP is ok, but if anybody wants to play MP, he should wate for a hotfix.

• Like! 1

Yesterday Crate released a big patch. main point weas to prepare the game for the upcoming addon. but therre were also a lot of bugfixes and balancing ponts.

big problem is again the MP. it is for the moment unplayable because it crashes everytime you want to interact with an NPC, which means no quests, no trading! we posted that it immediately in the steam forum and after a while it was confirmed by Crate. SP is ok, but if anybody wants to play MP, he should wate for a hotfix.

I'm curious how item trading would be impacted once MP is allowed. Will Binding be instituded as D3 after x amount of time in original party, or can people farm and sell to others online?

Ahhh, the internet... the ultimate distrution system

:oooo:

gogo

so...MP-test successful. we were able to play a 4h-session without any crashes and this is something we haven't had since early access! we noticed 2-3 smaller lags, but thats all.

we didn't go on with the story just doing some side-quests (Bloodbriar), so we are still in Homestead. loot was good: 5 legendaries and 6 receipts and enough manticore-eyes to craft an additional legendary! :D

• Like! 1

so...MP-test successful. we were able to play a 4h-session without any crashes and this is something we haven't had since early access! we noticed 2-3 smaller lags, but thats all.

we didn't go on with the story just doing some side-quests (Bloodbriar), so we are still in Homestead. loot was good: 5 legendaries and 6 receipts and enough manticore-eyes to craft an additional legendary! :D

Im so excited this works for a group of players MP!~

:bounce:

gogo

Reign of Terror Mod for Grim Dawn

I'm in awe of this project. I'm not sure I've ever looked forward to a mod so much.

This is actually the result of two separate projects that spring up simultaneously and were combined. The first is the Diablo 2 Classes Mod which was a mastery replacement mod. Now a second modder, Ram, is actually doing the work to recreate the maps, towns, enemies, quests, items, NPC's... basically a total conversion mod.

And since Grim Dawn has powerful mod tools it actually seems almost 100% doable. The modder is expecting to finish Act 1 soon and then release it to the public for testing.

• Like! 1
  • 3 weeks later...

we have reached Fort Ikon on elite now. at the moment we have got no technical problems, the MP runs smoothly! loot could be a littl more balanced...last session one of us found five legendaries, the othes none! o.O but in the end it is no problem when playing in a group. :D

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Holy crap. On one hand it's killing me to see someone else recreating the exact same quest and doing it better, on the other hand I'm admiring that he's so faithfully recreating the game. I'm dying to try this mod!

• Like! 1
  • 5 weeks later...

after some holiday break we finished on Elite difficulty yesterday evening. our group is still overpowered. ;) the final boss tooks around 15-20 seconds...

strange thing: all the legendary items for finishing elite were for our arcanist! O.O

just take first look to ultimate and entering the very first rift an dfinishing the main quest until Viloth.

we hope that the addon will be released when we finish ultimate to go on straight ahaed! :D

we tested crucible in MP during the hoidays and it seems that there it is as easy with a group as in the "normal" MP. we finished 10 rounds with 10 waves with three players without any problems and time run-out.

• Like! 1