All time scary films?

erialc

The scariest movie I had seen was probably 6th sense....

because.............This kid can see ghosts! and ghosts are "living" amongst us, not even knowing that they are already dead .....

Creepy, huh!

Guest gogoblender

I actually read the book IT by stephen king.

nicely done story

and pretty scary as well.

yeah...I don't like clowns no more neither

wouldn't shock me much either if a lot of em had a hard time booking the next kid's party

:)

gogo

• 1 year later...
I actually read the book IT by stephen king.

nicely done story

and pretty scary as well.

yeah...I don't like clowns no more neither

wouldn't shock me much either if a lot of em had a hard time booking the next kid's party

:D

gogo

Yeah my brother in law was so scared by IT that he can't go to the circus or anything anymore... all clowns just freak him out way to badly hehe. Luckily the first time I saw this movie I was 19 so it didn't really effect me that much... which is strange actually cause I am the biggest wimp EVER.

Due to the fact that my husband LOVES scary movies I have built somewhat of any immunity to them by now and the stories very rarely scare me... but there are a few movies that a certain character in them scared the bajeezus out of me!

Wrong Turn- those inbred deformed hillbillies freaked me out so bad I had to have my hubby keep me company in the bathroom whenever I showered for like 2 weeks!

The Ring and Ringu- the way that little girl moved when crawling out of the TV was super creepy.

The Grudge- that meowing little boy still frightens me... and only a few days after watching it my daughter woke up in the middle of the night and came to my room. I woke up with her standing next to the bed in almost complete darkness and nearly had a heart attack cause I was so groggy when first waking and all I could see was the outline of her and I thought it was him... thank god I was able to hold back the scream cause I think that would have scarred her for life! Oh and also the noise the chick made scared me really bad too.

The Leprechaun- yep the Leprechaun scared me for years!

Campfire Tales- yeah I know super lame movie... its kinda like Tales from the Crypt, but the Hitchhiker story scared me so bad I still have a hard time going out after dark alone! "Thanks for the ride lady"..... *shivers*

Oh yeah I remember all the hype with The Blair Witch Project! We went to see it in the theater when everyone still thought it was real... it was the only time I have EVER, EVER seen my husband scared by a movie! That in and of itself made watching it soooo worth it. But then we found out it was a hoax and it made the movie totally stupid!

• 1 month later...
Guest FrostElfTwin

Alien

I walked (or rather trembled) out of the theatre. I walked spatiscally. I'm serious. Each step was complete with several weird jerks.

The movie scared me so much for so long... I was a nervous wreck.

I'd gone with my family, and seen it in a theatre where you're very close the screen... and the screen was curved to more fill your vision... and it was the first Dolby sound movie I'd ever seen. 1979.

I own copies of all the Alien movies. (Even have an unwatched AVP sitting at home.)

===

Re: Exorcist: I bought a copy of the "new" (longer) version recently... and watched it.

There were several interesting gross parts (head-turning, and the use of the crucifix by the demon) but I didn't find it scarey.

However, my sister VOMITED at the film... she saw it in the theatre during it's first run.

If you google for most watched films of all time... Exorcist is right up there with adjusted $.

The first Alien was possibly one of the scariest movies ever made. It was the first time I'd seen something coming out of a human. Enough to set me up with nightmares long afterward.

Nice one there Frosty.

And yeah....Exorcist... still scary.

:4rofl:

gogo

I stoped reading stephen king cuz I realy dont like the detail of all the creepy thing's

I agree 6th sense is scary but I realy don't like white noise either (my clock stopped at 2 o'clock in the nigth (or was it three :ashamed of not remembering:) and I f***ing freaked out cuz in white noise the same happend before all the scary stuff :4rofl: )

• 2 months later...

Ok all of those movies scared the crap outta me but I think that Alien was the one that stuck with just because of the circumstances of where I was when I saw it and how old. I explained it on the thread about movies that changed your life lol. As for the all time scariest I couldnt tell you. Oh jeeze now I am in the mood for a scary one.

One Missed Call. (the japanese one)... I saw it about 5 years ago... before then I had never been actually scared during a movie, most of the time I laugh during horror films (nice guy, right?) well I saw this movie with a bunch of people, and it wasnt even like it was completely dark or silent in the room, it was like a bunch of kids talking and to understand what was going on, you had to read the subtitles... it was actually irritating... well, go figure that about an hour 15 mins into the movie, one scene comes up that I actually lifted from my seat. as in, there was no butt-seat connection goin on. I legitimately was scared that hell was coming for me. I was like, "its a fluke" and decided to watch it again, alone, completely isolated from people and light, in the eeriest conditions I could think of... I walked out into the woods with my laptop. well, I watched it again, and this time I was even more scared then before. no fluke, even though I knew it was coming, I still flipped out. I still have it around somewhere, but refuse to watch it lol. it was a good film lol... if you liked the ring or the grudge, you'd love One Missed Call! (I dont know about the new american version coming out... seems like a real fluke to me... but oh well)

good movie.

-Total

• 3 weeks later...

Two words:

The Thing.

John Carpenter in his prime, Kurt Russel in a beard and Ennio Moricone on awarding winning form (ok, the award was a Razzie but dammed if I know why).

The horror fans alternative ET (released two weeks before) is still Carpenter's best work in a very uneven career and although grossing significantly less than Spielbergs alien lovin' tale, holds up much better when compared side by side, 25 years after the event. It's dark, brooding, claustrophobic, fast, clever and yes, gore filled. And given all the effects are models (pre-CGI) it could have been cheesy. For me though, Bottin spent his portion of the $14mil budget well - the effects are creepier and downright unexpected. And Cudney's photography just seals the deal, adding to the sense isolation and being sealed up in some tents with an alien shapeshifter.

And the cast finish it off. Some great performances - notably from Russel in his best performance (in my opinion) as pilot Macready who desperately wants to be the hero of the piece, if only the supporting characters would let him. Brimley (you may recall from Cacoon) as Dr Blair who slowly slips into madness is my favourite of the incidentals. I particularly enjoy the scene where he tells Macready that he's not mad and ready to rejoin the group - behind him swinging in some unseen breeze is a noose.

But my favourite scene is where one character goes into cardiac arrest - Doctor Cooper (Dysart - LA Law) puts defib on his chest, which turns into a giant mouth and bites his hands off. First time I saw it I nearly crapped myself. Second time I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself. And the head turning into a spider? Inspired, with 'Windows' deadpanning "Oh you gotta be F***ing kidding me" as he watches it scuttle off.

To end a horror film without closure though, without a neat ending with all the lines tied together. That's the scary part.

Oh and if you own it on DVD, watch it with Kurt and John C's commentary. It's so funny - the two of them are drinking beers and chatting having not seen the film in 10 years. Hiliarious.

• 4 months later...

I was scared to death when I saw a Dracula as a little kid ... had a problems going out in the night for a while :cool:

I agree about the Ringu ... (the ring) have both version .... a bit nasty to watch it alone!

someone mentioned The Omen .. a sequel to the exorcist ... it was filmed in a dutch town of Omen ... and some serious accidents happend during the making of the movie.

(latin proverb: Nomen est Omen)

horror movies are not on my list favourit genre!

• 3 months later...

The scariest movie I have seen in my life so far would be Ju-on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ju-on:_The_Grudge

It was remade by Hollywood with the help of the original Ju-on director

Takashi Shimizu, and is known as The Grudge 1 & 2. A third one should

come out soon.

The original japanese version scares the hell out of me. I am not afraid

to admit that the first time I saw Ju-on I hat a lot of trouble going to bed. :)

The Grudge movies are very scary to, but somehow they do not give me

the same scary feelings as the original japanese version.

Edited by Arafinwe

Ha ha jibjab :hugs:

Claire started this thread with The Exorcist and I have to agree with her.

That film scared the beegeezes outa me.

I was slightly under-aged when it was released in Aussie but I managed to get in and see it.

I can remember saying to myself 'please don't go back up those steps into that bedroom again"...but they did.

This is true:

My mates and I saw it in the city that night. I remember getting dropped off at home about midnight.

It was pitch dark and I had to walk up our driveway to get to the front door. I was still having flash backs to the horror I had just watched.

As I approached the front door a black cat jumped out of no where and hissed at me and ran away.

I almost dropped dead at that very moment! :4rofl:

stubbs

Edited by stubbie
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have not, no matter how hard I try, been able to sit down and watch any of "The Grudge" movies the just creep the living hell outa ma O_o even the spoof in 1 of the scary movies creeps me out. . .

I have not, no matter how hard I try, been able to sit down and watch any of "The Grudge" movies the just creep the living hell outa ma O_o even the spoof in 1 of the scary movies creeps me out. . .

I've been a horror fan for more than 25 years and here's a list of some of my favorites:

The Omen (always worth a looky - both the old and the new version)

Thirteen Ghosts (tho' the end is a teeny bit too much Hollywood)

Lost Boys (great great vampire movie - and pretty scary the first time around)

Dog Soldiers (one of the best werewolf movies made - even though it's British and on a low budget)

Sixth Sense (but it's only really really great the first time you see it - but still gives me goosebumps... 'I see dead people' - 'Dead people? Like in movies?' - 'No....')

The Fearless Vampire Killers or Pardon Me But Your Teeth Are In My Neck (hilarious Roman Polansky movie from the 60ies with his later to be killed by the Manson-clan wife Sharon Tate... good for laughs and a good scare)

House Of A THousand Corpses (Captain Spaulding and his more-than-words-can-say-crazy-family are NOT for the weak of heart)

Hostel (hack n slash - but very very scary, because the events in the movie are taking place in real life as well... they do have places like that in some former East-European states)

30 Days Of Night (a good, solid vampire movie - and the bad guys are very very bad...)

'Salems Lot (the original version gave me nightmares for years when I was a little kid, but now... naaahh... the new version is better and still a bit scary... but not on the favorite list anymore)

BUT... the worst at the end:

The Grudge (part 1) - an adaption of about half an hour of the original Japanese 'Ju-on'.... but VERY VERY well done - and scary as... I don't know what... I'd just seen the trailor for it and was scared for about three weeks before actually seeing the movie itself... I think I've seen it 4 or 5 times and still I get scared s**tless every single time... just writing about it here gives me goosebumps. The Japanese version is also very good, but doesn't give you as many scares as the American version (but if you like movies from Japan, Korea a.s.o. - give it a try).

Unfortunately The Grudge 2 isn't very good - scary yeah sure, but not very well done... and The Grudge 3? Well... I haven't seen it and have been told by other horrorfans that I shouldn't...

To end this long tirade - if you haven't seen The Grudge yet - go and rent it or even better buy it ;-)

• 3 months later...

The thing about horror movies (booger) ; there is "supernatural" horror and things that are just freaking disturbing - they don't scare so much as they make you wiggle/squirm and geniunely desire a bath and a warm puppy (burger).

My favorites in the First Scare-a-gory (in no particular order):

1. The Hamiltons

2. Let the Right One In

3. Dawn of the Dead

4. Night of the Living Dead

5. Janghwa, Hongryeon (A Tale of Two Sisters)

6. Jian Gui (The Eye)

In the Second CateGORY:

1. Ichi the Killer

2. Ichi the Killer

3. Dead Alive

4. The Devil's Rejects

I am not stalking you Saeyia, but you are leading me around to threads I have yet to explore.

I have to tell this as a story cause the movie alone is just not as creepy as the experience I had watching it.

Many years back "The Blair Witch Project" came out in Theaters. I hadn't really heard anything about it. I had no idea what the movie was about actually, but there we were me and a friend from work had just finish a marathon week of 12 hour days and decided to go see a midnight movie. Well we got there and could not decide on anything to see so we picked The Blair Witch.

We get to the theater to find our seats and its empty, not a soul dead or alive. So me being a movie and surround sound lover, I pick the seat exactly in the middle of the theatre. not too close, not too far. the perfect surround sound sweet spot. :agreed:*big mistake* :badbad: There were twigs breaking behind me this way, leaves rustling over that way. at this point I am gonna crap my pants. so thank god the move was barely over an hour long, cause when that last screen flashed with what ever the hell that was, and the dude standing in the corner and Zoom---------> :ike: my butt was outta that theater so fast I never got to see a single credit.

I have never come home from a movie and literally layed awake all night listening to the sounds in my house. every creak or grown or wind or imagining I could do. I didn't sleep a wink.

I have watched it a few times since at home. And now I don't see what the big deal was, it isn't that scary anymore. Actually I no longer have any interest in watch it. But I will tell you, I don't think I remember any details of any other movie I have ever seen in the theatre. but this one I remember where it was, what time it was, who I was with and how much it freaked me out.

I am not stalking you Saeyia, but you are leading me around to threads I have yet to explore.

It's alright Stalkums... I wouldn't imagine that you're stalking me (stalker) - you just enjoy following me around... hiding in bushes outside my house. It's perfectly normal.