Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Barbarian

Flix

1 hour ago, Flix said:

Pesmontis has worked his magic yet again! In v13, the Barbarian will join the Druid, Amazon, Paladin, and Sorceress in having a full selection of 6 different hairstyles in character creation!  These are the 4 new additions:

1.thumb.jpg.41b5eedf4b21db2de61bd8d7448f1562.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.a557da58e2fb496310851ab598d76053.jpg

4.thumb.jpg.99e3083bc23c05d460c7868cc9181d39.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.030a2294bb3d25cfa14fb00bf85eacb1.jpg

Him and Sacred go hand in hand...can't believe the detail he has pulled out ...shade, light, texture

gems!

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, dimitrius154 said:

@Flix By the way, are you aware, whether Pedro is still working on his World editor utility? That's the final tool needed to complete fixing the original game.

Hmm, I haven't heard any news since the last time you and I discussed it.

Making a few other adjustments to the Barbarian for v13:

Natural Resistance: Now grants 15 Willpower points per level instead of 25.  25 attributes points per CA level was a lot, especially when the buff already includes so many other base properties.

Double Hit: Swapped places of "Sweep" (silver) and "Stagger" (gold) modifications. Until now Sweep (chance for double hits) was paired up against Scythe (chance for critical hits), which was just really lopsided.  A 25% chance for 200% damage will beat a 15% chance for 150% every time.  So I readjusted the modification pairs so they look like this now:

• Force - Double Attack is executed with more power and inflicts more damage (15% + 0.1% per level).
  • Sweep - Increases the chance to strike twice with one hit (25%).

• Scythe - Increases the chance for critical hits by 10.9% + 0.1% per level.
  • Stagger - Increases the chance to knock opponents back. If they tumble against additional opponents they will inflict damage upon impact (12.5% + 0.5% chance per level).

• Sweep - Increases the chance to strike twice with one hit (25%).
  • Vampire - Inflicts additional life leech damage that heals the Barbarian (3.0 + 1.5 per level).

I am on a nice long vacation from work for the holidays, now that the family has been visited and merrymaking has been made, I have a lot of time to really go through all the Combat Arts with a fine-toothed comb, with an eye for balance. 

In particular I noticed a lot of modifications were giving chances to trigger various effects that were scaling up to 100% far too quickly. On other bonuses, I had omitted scaling altogether, which harmed incentive to level up CA's.

This is the Barbarian's upcoming changes for v13:

• Bash: Chance opponents cannot evade from "Accuracy" mod increased to 25%
  • Frenzy: Chance for area damage from "Clip" mod scales more slowly.
  • Berserk: Threshold for max wounded damage dealt is lowered to 25% health. Physical vulnerability increased to 25%. There should be a feeling of danger from using Berserk.
  • Natural Resistance: Now grants 15 Willpower points per level instead of 25. Damage Mitigation scales more slowly.
  • Double Hit: Swapped places of "Sweep" (silver) and "Stagger" (gold) mods. "Stagger" now reduces opponent evade chance instead of causing knockback. Chance for knockback was useless in a sea of combat arts that are guaranteed to cause it (Bash, War Cry), so I replaced it with something useful.
  • Stun: Base range decreased but range now scales better with level.
  • Howl: VFX changed to more accurately reflect the area of effect.
  • War Cry: Range scales more slowly. "Crack" modification now lowers enemy resistances by a percentage as intended. Crack was previously giving a chance to reduce armor to 0, which I don't see much use for in D2F.

This is the new VFX for Howl:

290285387_sacred22019-12-2423-08-17-41.thumb.jpg.1bde751280aa786c7c3157b9622811f1.jpg

@chattius This may have some implications for your Singer Barbarian, what are your thoughts?  Howl looks much smaller, but I guarantee the radius is the same (and more accurate).  I don't know if you used "Crack" mod on War Cry but it was not functioning as intended until now.

I used crack on warcry because I am howling several times before I warcry. So the deathblow effect was quite useless for my playstyle.

Is the spells.txt in the Burgfräuöein thread the actual one?

And one thing I noticed: STUN shows fire damage in the tooltipp. But it is a spell and nowhere in spells.txt  I see fire damage involved. Display Bug? I never saw any burning on an enemy.

6 hours ago, chattius said:

Is the spells.txt in the Burgfräuöein thread the actual one?

It is not. I have not yet released the latest one because so many things have changed that require all the updated files to be present.

6 hours ago, chattius said:

STUN shows fire damage in the tooltipp.

Well, I looked but I can't see what could be triggering this. It has the flag for spell damage, not weapon damage, and it has not fire damage scripted, only physical and physical DOT.

Do you have a Jewel of Flame socketed in your weapon? I wonder if damage conversion might be responsible for the tooltip bug.  Does the fire damage in the tooltip change or go away if you change your weapon?

27 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

What character do you play? If it's a Temple Guardian, then the erroneous battery tooltip calculation is the best candidate.

Stun is a Barbarian spell damage-based combat art.   But I was thinking along the same lines, that it's something with damage conversion. I didn't spot any fire damage scripted.

mgr.defineSpell( "sk_tc_kampfrausch", {
	eiStateName = "cSpellCast",
	fxTypeCast = "FX_DR_WIRBELN_C",
	fxTypeSpell = "FX_INQ_MACHTSOG",
	fxTypeCastSpecial = "FX_DR_WIRBELN_C",
	duration = 10.000000,
	animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM08",
	animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
	animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
	animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDEATTACKA-SPECIAL",
	causesSpellDamage = 1,
	tokens = {
		entry0 = {"et_range_area", 400, 2, 0, 4 },
		entry1 = {"et_chance_stun", 1000, 0, 0, 133 },
		entry2 = {"et_hits_persec", 1000, 0, 0, 4 },
		entry3 = {"et_spelldamage_physical", 400, 300, 0, 133 },
		entry4 = {"et_duration_sec", 100, 0, 0, 8 },
		entry5 = {"et_chance_bleeding", 297, 3, 1, 5 },
		entry6 = {"et_spelldamage_physical", 100, 100, 2, 133 },
		entry7 = {"et_range_area", 200, 1, 3, 4 },
		entry8 = {"et_dotdamage_physical", 110, 110, 4, 42 },
		entry9 = {"et_chance_deepwound", 200, 2, 5, 5 },
		entry10 = {"et_deathblow", 250, 1, 6, 5 },
		entry11 = {"et_hurl_enemy", 200, 0, 0, 9 },
	},
	fightDistance = 45.000000,
	aspect = "EA_SK_TACTICALCOMBAT",
	cooldown = 0.000000,
	soundProfile = 0,
	cost_level = 300,
	cost_base = 300,
	focus_skill_name = "skill_SK_tactical_combat_focus",
	lore_skill_name = "skill_tactics_lore",
	spellClass = "cSpellSeLichtsaeule",
	spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_a_effect_location_start",
	sorting_rank = 3,
})

9 minutes ago, dimitrius154 said:

Hmm, gloves can spawn with damage conversion modifiers. 

Thanks, that was it.

Seems my daughter played the singer and I didn't check if she had changed equipment. Some yellow gloves with damage convertion, 2 slots and high chance for halve regeneration time. And Warcry and weapon attacks had the damage converting too, if I had looked for them. But I was just checking stun for a more versatile singer build.

Damage convertion from gloves is only displayed and not applied? Because I never saw burning ticks...

But if it would be applied, lot of possibilities opened if mixed with damage lore, ancient magic, ....

I shouldn't post while still in x-mas/new year chaos...

Found one more bug with the Barbarian's Berserk.  The physical damage vulnerability was not applying in any previous version of the mod.

So, I expect a good bit more "squish" if you decide to make a Berserker in v13.  You will be able to see the penalty in the sigma bonus overview:

image.png.3cd8d34d8b2e237e517875882c2326e6.png

Note the Damage Mitigation bonus above it from the "Withstand" modification that partially alleviates the penalty.

• 4 months later...

I have a question about the Stun CA. It has a 100% chance to stun, so with that in mind I'm using it as an opening move in a couple of combos and it's been working great at low levels. I'm playing a melee toon with zero emphasis on spell-based CAs, so my question is this. How well will Stun behave as an opening move in a combo when I start getting into higher difficulties, assuming that I'm not putting any points in Inteligence nor using Ancient Magic? I only use it for the stun effect and not for damage, so my question is if it'll work well in that respect, or if higher levelled mobs will have enough "spell resistance" to make it ineffective to the point where it isn't stunning anything.

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

I have a question about the Stun CA. It has a 100% chance to stun, so with that in mind I'm using it as an opening move in a couple of combos and it's been working great at low levels. I'm playing a melee toon with zero emphasis on spell-based CAs, so my question is this. How well will Stun behave as an opening move in a combo when I start getting into higher difficulties, assuming that I'm not putting any points in Inteligence nor using Ancient Magic? I only use it for the stun effect and not for damage, so my question is if it'll work well in that respect, or if higher levelled mobs will have enough "spell resistance" to make it ineffective to the point where it isn't stunning anything.

I exspect that enemies with CA-reflect/block or stun-reflect/block get better and better with this at higher levels. Enemies without that shouldn't get better at higher levels, I consider stun as mainly useful for weapon based barbarians.

A singer will use Grim Ward to debuff enemies and that make them running. They will be in range for a howl but rarely for a stun.

Yeah, I'm running these stun+multi-hit CA combos and while I can see that not every mob gets stunned, being able to halt many of them for a few seconds allows me to deliver my second combo and then rinse repeat. It has proven to be quite effective so far.

I should probably keep Stun at level 1 for now since I'm really only interested in the stun part of the CA.

In original game you couldn't be stunlocked, same for monsters I think. When the stun left the stunned was stun resistant for 4 seconds or so.

27 minutes ago, chattius said:

In original game you couldn't be stunlocked, same for monsters I think. When the stun left the stunned was stun resistant for 4 seconds or so.

This is still true in the mod.

Exactly. That's why I have Stun+Double Attack+Concentrate (modded for RpH) on key 1 and then Whirlwind+Double Attack+Concentrate on key 2. So it's stun/multi-hit/multi-hit and then stun again. It's actually very effective, and Concentrate modded for RpH makes a ton of difference at the end of each combo.

• 2 weeks later...

So I have a question about Battle Orders, namely it's Bronze modifier War Song. Right now I have a little over level 41 in that buff which results in a value in the sigma of "+92.5% damage", and while unarmed I have a weapon damage value of 399 for left-click attacks with the buff turned off. When I turn the buff on that value gets raised to 500. Why such a small increase, which is around just 1/4 of the actual bonus? How are the calculations being made for the buff to return such a high bonus and such a low weapon value in comparison?

This is probably a rule of thumb that's applied for the whole game, and that most likely I had never noticed before. But since I was trying the buff bonuses with my toon I might as well ask it here.

On a separate note, why aren't some bonuses with the same names being summed in the sigma? Like, I have Armantin's Gloves with a bonus to CTOCEA, and I chose Silver mod Implacable on Battle Orders which gives the same bonus. Why are they appearing separated in the sigma listing? Are they effectively being summed when calculations for hit chance are made?

I suspect that is explained by bad coding. Not much I can do about it.  I believe @dimitrius154 reconciled the discrepancy between the expected numbers and the actual delivered values concerning calculations of damage vs. armor, attack vs. defense, and spell intensity vs. spell resistance, in his mod.  The fix would exist nowhere else currently. 

How such errors made it to publication in a game that centers around combat, I can hardly fathom.

In the buff it is

entry4 = {"et_damage_weapon_rel", 100, 20, 1, 41 },

and not

entry4 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 150, 1, 1, 41},

which would have a bigger impact at high levels. The later would apply earlier in damage calculation.

I think there are 6 steps with modifiers for weapon damage:

base damage: from weapon, from x-x damage in items, x-x damage in combat arts.  All is summed up

base weapon damage multiplier: the above base damage is multiplied by this, only from combat arts I think. Factor can be below 1.

damage mulitplier: tactics lore, x% damage in items, race damage from items and inherit, x% damage in CA's. All is summed up, 100%added, sum divided by 100 and multiplied with result from second step.

criticals

deathblow

WIDD, wounds increase damage done

The last three are situational and not shown in tooltipp.

If your buff adds 100% then it adds this to all the x% damage from tactics lore, x% damage from items, ...

So if you have 200% from tactics lore, 100% damage in items and have a base damage from 100: 100*(100+100+200)/100 = 400

If you add 100% from buff:  100*(100+100+200+100)/100 = 500

Very easy and rudimentary calculation to show the effect. That is why I use to say starting level 75-90 onwards some deathblow items should replace  x% damage sockets - the x% damage in a socket has less effect if the sum is high already.

Interesting. When I saw the increase I immediately thought that should be some hidden calculation order to make it so, but it seems that it's one of those things where we can only guess. Like if it applies the bonus before or after Tactics Lore is anybody's guess, right?! No biggie, I'll live with it.

Now I get what you said about 75-90, so Blacksmith damage art becomes ineffective. Might as well use armour or regen bonus if I have a bronze slot then, and stick just to x-x flat damage rings. Thanks.

It isn't that a modifier becomes ineffective. You will still need some x% damage, you will need need x-x damage, you will need deathblow and critical...

But the optimal distribution between these changes with level. Like a low level x-x damage ring  is like 5-5, but later 40-40...

Or deathblow: it is good at 75-150, but later the bonus is so good that you can remove 1 or 2 deathblow items because it runs in diminishing returns.

The optimal socketing is always in a flow when you level up, I like that.

Sorry if my wording was incorrect, what I meant was that it becomes less effective. So, as you say, sockecting choices get to be different at different levels because of diminishing returns. :)

Part of why I chose the Silver mod Implacable on Battle Orders is that, the bonus to CTOCEA is quite big early on in comparison to the bonus on rings, so I get to save some sockets and can balance it well with a couple of set pieces later on. I agree with you, it's all a matter of balancing your modifiers.

• 4 months later...

Really enjoying the barbarian, I usually don't like the tanky beefy builds, more of an aggressive "kill first" stuff, but here it works.

I don't know how often the wiki is updated, but that mention on Frenzy "Slow execution speed while mounted on Hellhound" is wrong. It is super-fast, sometimes I don't even see the animation.  I only have Sword skill and Maul's staff, no other speed stuff.

• Like! 1
5 hours ago, Jampula said:

I don't know how often the wiki is updated

Not often enough, sadly.  I try to keep the combat arts up to date at least.  The Bestiary is several versions behind though.