Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Assassin

Flix

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Mini-set Redesigns

Unlike full armor sets, mini-sets are typically 3-5 pieces that aren't focused on any particular aspect. Unfortunately, many are assembled of random mismatched pieces, which I think is a missed opportunity to showcase the standard sets. All random armor, from junk to rare, actually belongs to a visually coherent "set" of armor (such as leather, iron, cloth, etc.). Now the pieces of the mini-sets match each other better. I also changed some unique armor piece designs so they're not shared by set pieces. I know some players choose their armor not just on function but also appearance, so hopefully this will help make the mini-sets more appealing.

These changes don't apply retroactively. Only new copies of the items that drop will be changed. So if you already have copies or get them from the downloads section they will still be the old designs.

Assassin
XcXDDomm.jpg   7KgTMZ1m.jpg   2QS2fh7m.jpg  qh3wcrmm.jpg   aU37QmIm.jpg

1st pic: Guardians of Light - new shoulders, also all textures were revised to be more "light"
2nd pic: Guardians of Shadows - boots now match the set, slightly darker texture tweaks
3rd pic: XTM-2174 - new torso, texture revisions
4th pic: Philios' Servants - formerly "Lumen's Servants," set was completely overhauled to use matching iron set pieces
5th pic: Cybernetic Tormentor - set was completely overhauled to use matching bloody leather set pieces, torso now has physical armor % bonus because of the change from plate to leather

• 7 months later...

A minor thing: aside from Traps Lore, Blade Fury's execution speed is affected by weapon's attack speed (same as Deathly Spears). Not sure if this was intended.

Thanks. I can't figure out why this would be. Everything seems in order in the script. Consider this a perk of the spell.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi Flix! I have a couple of thoughts about the assassin combat arts I want to share with you (please don't get mad if they have already been addressed).

Have you thought about using the shadow warrior "skeletal fortification" combat art for wake of inferno? I know it doesn't looks like the one in diablo but functionality wise is very similar, maybe it could shoot fire arrows/staff fireballs?

I think the vanilla jolting touch combat art looks like a better fit for claws of thunder or maybe a melee twisted torment (is green though, it looks like electricity)

I think that a better fit for fire blast could be eternal fire, not because the combat art is bad, but it acts like a "sentry", in diablo 2 fire blast is a (almost) instant hit Area of Effect attack. I know eternal fire isn't a "bomb" attack, but it pretty much acts like one.

These are just my thoughts, please don't take them as criticsm.

Thanks as always!

Edited by Tharkun
  • Like! 1

Believe me, I tried working with Skeletal Fortification early on, and in many different ways. It will only shoot arrows. I can change the projectile to fireballs but then everything in the game that shoots arrows (every bow, every NPC with a bow) would also shoot fireballs. A very evil-looking undead creation that fires arrows is just too unlike any Assassin skills. Anyway Skeletal Fortification is used by Undead Legion Mages now.

Jolting Touch is nice, but it's strictly a spell, it won't function as a melee attack. Even just the animation itself doesn't look right for a weapon attack. Not to mention its spell effects are already in use by other combat arts. The casting effect is used for Shock Web. The spell effect itself is used for the Amazon's Charged Strike. I would have to redesign those spells in order to steal away Jolting Touch's fx from them, and I wouldn't know where to start.

Finally, and most importantly, I just can't remove the adaptation of Battle Extension from the Assassin's repertoire. It is the most martial arts-like combat art he has, in fact it is the only one he has that even bears any resemblance to martial arts at all. This is the one time you get to see him with a second, bladed, functioning hand instead of a useless gun arm. And as a multi-hit weapon attack (plus its passive bonus when in the active CA slot), it's a core CA for a Martial Artist that's just way too valuable to be replaced with a spell or a weapon attack with Jolting Touch's spell animation.

I'm afraid the fire trap is also not going anywhere. If people are getting so hung up on the name not matching the expected effect, I would rather change the name of Fire Blast than change the spell itself. Flame Sentry or something like that. Eternal Fire, well that's already in use as the Sorceress's Inferno.

Don't worry about giving criticism. I'm still redesigning things, even core spells, and feedback is an important part of that. :) I know no one's going to be satisfied with how the Assassin turned out in the mod. I'm not happy with it either. I'm prepared for suggestions on changing it, but most suggestions I've gotten are sadly unworkable.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

So I've been testing the Assassin's combat arts while making videos for the Wiki, and I think I've come upon a couple bugs:

Dragon Flight is completely unable to hit anything when mounted in the Mobiculum. It still teleports, but it causes no damage on hitting the target. I've tried every animation I can think of and the result is still the same. I can't see any way to fix it, so I may just need to put a note that says it only teleports when mounted?

Fists of Fire seems unable to hit flying enemies like bats and harpies. Tested over and over again (on foot), no damage caused. Other enemies are properly hit. This may be fixable, if it really is a problem and not something I'm imagining.

Can anyone playing the Assassin confirm either of these things?

Can confirm that Fist of Fire miss bats/flying enemies.

Don't know about Dragon Flight and special mount since haven't gotten a mount and not at that point in the campaign, and never use one in play.

Thanks for confirming. I was able to fix Fists of Fire no problem. It even seems to hit ground enemies more reliably now. A side-effect of the change was that the "roar" sfx was changed to a more appropriate martial arts "whoosh" sound.

I wasn't able to make Dragon Flight inflict damage while mounted. I did however change the tiger snarl sfx to a more appropriate sound, and I changed the animation to the old Propelled Levitation one. You know, this one:

Propelled_levitation_mounted.jpg

o7ptnt.jpg

If you're going to jet around in a flying saucer, you may as well do it in style. :sun:

I confess I haven't tested the combat arts while mounted nearly as much I should have. I think I'll give all of them one more pass before releasing the patch to see if there any more mismatched or missing animations or effects while mounted.

A full time flying saucer... awesome!!

:gogo:

gogo

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...

flying saucer How to do?

Hello! You can use the Assassin's combat art, Dragon Flight, while mounted. You can click very far away, over rivers and canyons, or even on bridges that are far above you. That is how I took that second picture.

• Like! 1

Im playing for Assassin (level 25 atm) and it is very fun and joyable. This is ranged Martial build with Shadow buffs. It can shoot being stealthed, killing most Elites for 2-3 combo of Fire Fist-Tiger- Claws of Thunder, great poison chance. Now I dont know how to build it far away, especially for damade dealong and surviving during the time he is not stealthed. Im think about Traps for advanced Blade Shield and maybe Shock Web for debuffing enemies. Fire Blast is tremendously slow, is a joke?

Flix, thank you for this amazing Mod and wish you to develop it more and greater!

P.S. Cloak of Shadow is absolutely imba, it allow using Martial skills with ranged weapons without breaking stealth. Monsters wont attack player. I killed second boss without resistance, except moments then CoS was on CD. Is this mechanic works properly? At other side Assassin lacks of passive defence and regen and must rely on crowd control (but Mind Blast with Area of Effect 80% Stun is powerfull). Also CoS breaks when Assassin shoot and uses trap skills, this is suspitious when Martial skills with ranged dont break stealth at all (SL 8)

Edited by zarzloy
  • Like! 1

Im playing for Assassin (level 25 atm) and it is very fun and joyable. This is ranged Martial build with Shadow buffs. It can shoot being stealthed, killing most Elites for 2-3 combo of Fire Fist-Tiger- Claws of Thunder, great poison chance. Now I dont know how to build it far away, especially for damade dealong and surviving during the time he is not stealthed. Im think about Traps for advanced Blade Shield and maybe Shock Web for debuffing enemies. Fire Blast is tremendously slow, is a joke?

Flix, thank you for this amazing Mod and wish you to develop it more and greater!

P.S. Cloak of Shadow is absolutely imba, it allow using Martial skills with ranged weapons without breaking stealth. Monsters wont attack player. I killed second boss without resistance, except moments then CoS was on CD. Is this mechanic works properly? At other side Assassin lacks of passive defence and regen and must rely on crowd control (but Mind Blast with Area of Effect 80% Stun is powerfull). Also CoS breaks when Assassin shoot and uses trap skills, this is suspitious when Martial skills with ranged dont break stealth at all (SL 8)

Gread to read that you're loving Flix and his team's Mod, zarzloy... welcome to DarkMatters!

:)

gogo

flying saucer How to do?

Hello! You can use the Assassin's combat art, Dragon Flight, while mounted. You can click very far away, over rivers and canyons, or even on bridges that are far above you. That is how I took that second picture.

Thank you for your answer, can not be permanent? I am a player from China, rely on translation software, see the forum. I copy and paste.

Hello Flix!

I've been thinking about the assasin's combat arts and he lacks ranged combat arts. Considering he's quite squishy for a melee character and already has quite cool melee based combat arts could be useful to give him a couple more ranged ca.

I thought about these:

Shock web - energy annihilation trap: could be very useful to have 2 elemental traps on your arsenal, for fire resistant enemies, you rely only on melee range ca for a different element or mind blast and psychic hammer. Maybe could be a stationary trap or spawn several of them in order to make it different from fire blast.

Wake of inferno - furious emblazer: instead of a slow dot Area of Effect could be something like arctic blast or glacial spike, hard hitting cone Area of Effect, also looks fitting to the diablo 2 theme since the original trap uses a flamethrower.

Blade fury - amplifiyng discharge: is it possible to replace the projectile with a shuriken or something alike? This is more curiosity than anything else

Please tell me if these can't be done or if you disagree with the ideas/idea in general.

Thanks as always!

Edited by Tharkun
  • Like! 1

Thank you for your answer, can not be permanent? I am a player from China, rely on translation software, see the forum. I copy and paste.

No, it cannot be permanent, sorry.

P.S. Cloak of Shadow is absolutely imba, it allow using Martial skills with ranged weapons without breaking stealth. Monsters wont attack player. I killed second boss without resistance, except moments then CoS was on CD. Is this mechanic works properly?

It's probably a bug. I'll try to find some way to circumvent it. Aside from that issue, do you think Cloak of Shadows is unbalanced otherwise?

Fire Blast is tremendously slow, is a joke?

No, it's not a joke, that's just how it is. Nobody seems to like it though.

Thank you.

Shock web - energy annihilation trap: could be very useful to have 2 elemental traps on your arsenal, for fire resistant enemies, you rely only on melee range ca for a different element or mind blast and psychic hammer. Maybe could be a stationary trap or spawn several of them in order to make it different from fire blast.

Wake of inferno - furious emblazer: instead of a slow dot Area of Effect could be something like arctic blast or glacial spike, hard hitting cone Area of Effect, also looks fitting to the diablo 2 theme since the original trap uses a flamethrower.

So he wouldn't have any more Area of Effect attacks then. I thought the range on Shock Web and Wake of Inferno are pretty good.

Blade fury - amplifiyng discharge: is it possible to replace the projectile with a shuriken or something alike? This is more curiosity than anything else

:o Whoa that's brilliant. It could be blades that bounce from enemy to enemy. I'll try it out. Maybe I'll just experiment with overhauling the entire traps aspect just to see what other configurations might be possible.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...