Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Necromancer

Flix

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hello Flix, I have been reading the Necromancer's CA on the wiki, its the first class I wanna try, but there are two things not clear to me

-Revive. In the usage comments its says ca level wont increase revived enemy damage, but the gold modification is supposed to do so

-Skeletal Mages. Taking Master conjurer mod replaces Fireball with Blazing Tempest? and about the lightning spells, any of the two versions inflict LL%?

Thanks a lot! :)

Revive - I corrected the Wiki page. If you take the Furor modifications, then the damage of the Revives will increase with CA level, and this bonus will also be improved by Dark Summons Lore.

Skeletal Mages - Yes, Fire Bolt is replaced with Firestorm. There are no LL% attacks for the skeletal mages.

Necromancer is now much less a melee character than Inquisitor was, so the set bonuses and modifiers are less useful to the Necromancer, Illegard Judgement Chance to Inflict Serious Open wounds could be replaced by Damage: Poison +% or Damage+%, these are minor changes but a whole rethink from scratch of all the character 3 aspect set items would be the best imo, I can help you with that if needed

I think the melee bonuses are still important for the Necromancer so he can still have that option, because he only has one weapon combat art it would be even harder to follow that path if I removed all his melee bonuses. But I'll check and see if anything on his aspect sets doesn't fit the aspects anymore.

And the other idea I have is changing the textures of all these aspect set items with the standard sets the game provides, it would take much less time than creating new ones and the visual look change would still be pretty good

I give you one example, for the Sorceress Fire Spells aspect, instead of Celdrahil, you could use Burgandy set from here http://sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:High_Elf_Magic_Set

I'm not against the idea really, but I'll have to think about it. The thing about that specific suggestion is that I'm already using the burgundy magic set for Virgo's Revenge.

ENlRvVh.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 4 months later...

Hi Flix!

2 things on the necromancer:

Some of his armors don't show the CA regen penalty (mostly chest armor)

Attract damage and mods only work when casting at point blank range, is that intentional?

• Like! 1

Some of his armors don't show the CA regen penalty (mostly chest armor)

That's because it's made of cloth. It's lightweight so it doesn't have a regeneration penalty.

Attract damage and mods only work when casting at point blank range, is that intentional?

I can't see any reason why this would happen. I'll run some tests.

Ok well I've been tearing my hair out all evening trying to figure out this problem, with no luck.

These are the testing results:

"et_call_target", (Attract base property) -- works at any range

"et_dotdamage_fire", (Pyre mod) -- works at any range

"et_chance_fear", (Terror mod) -- seems to work at any range

"et_spelldamage_fire", -- works only at melee range (point blank)

"et_chance_stun", (Stupefy mod) -- works only at melee range

"et_life_leech", (Life Tap mod) -- works only at melee range

"et_debuff_EVW", (debuff enemy defense) -- hard to tell. safe to assume it only works at point-blank range.

The only solutions I can come up with all suck:

1) Requiring the Necromancer to be in melee range to cast the spell at all.

2) Removing Stupefy and Life Tap modifications and flat fire damage and replacing them with something else.

3) Leave the spell as it is and put a note in the tooltip that certain properties only work at point-blank range.

• Like! 1
Maybe you could replace ir with another curse? Dim vision seems the better option in my opinion, lower the target attack and defense rating is always useful for any build.

(I know there's a dim vision mod for decrepify but this may be the best curse for replacing attract)

• Like! 1

Maybe you could replace ir with another curse? Dim vision seems the better option in my opinion, lower the target attack and defense rating is always useful for any build.

(I know there's a dim vision mod for decrepify but this may be the best curse for replacing attract)

I'll give it a shot.

• Like! 1

Attract Replaced with Dim Vision

Attract proved too buggy and unreliable for me to keep in the mod. Because it was based on Mortifying Pillory (a weapon CA), there seemed to be some hard-coded limitation on the spell that required the caster to be in melee range for it to properly work.

05SL6Hh.pngDim Vision - Damning an enemy to the darkness of their own evil, this curse surrounds the afflicted in a cloud of perfect darkness and silence, blinding them.

Duration: 10.0s + 0.05 s per level

Reduce Enemy Attack Rating: 90 + 10 per level

Reduce Enemy Attack Speed: 50% + 10% per level

Disarms the Target

Causes continuous pulses of light magic damage

4Jegy9ft.jpg Mxp0YjMt.jpg 7etnIUFt.jpg j7Np2ULt.jpg

4iZNYpdt.jpg Y0tXAo4t.jpg

Modifications:

Terror - Good chance to send enemies running away in fear (80% + 0.5% per level).
Gloom - Dim Vision duration lasts longer (5.0s + 0.02s per level).
Life Tap - Leeches life from the target to restore the Necromancer's hitpoints (8 + 5 per level life leech damage).
Stupefy - Adds a chance to stun the target (44.9% + 0.1% per level chance).
Obscure - Dim Vision also reduces the target's defense rating by 90 + 20 per level.
Hex - Adds magic damage over time (40 + 30 per level).
As you can see, Dim Vision preserves many properties of Attract, minus the actual attract property. To my thinking, since the Confuse curse causes all enemies to attack each other, it is essentially a more powerful (though more chaotic) version of Attract. So hopefully the player won't feel he has really lost that much.
Decrepify Changes
Since Dim Vision borrows some properties of Decrepify, the Decrepify curse has also received some changes.
Decrepify no longer slows enemy attack speed, only movement speed.
This is the new modification selection:
Lame - Enemy movement speed is further slowed by 30% + 2.0% per level.
Forgetful - Enemy combat art regeneration times are penalized by 53.4% + 0.8% per level.
Weaken - Enemy attributes are lowered even further (19.8% + 0.2% per level).
Amplify Damage - Increases enemy sensitivity to physical damage by 10% + 0.3% per level.
Expand - The radius of Decrepify will increase as it levels up, hitting more targets at once.
Deathchill - Decrepify inflicts ice damage on all affected targets (46 + 18 per level).

So silver mod Dim Vision is replaced with Weaken, which lowers enemy attributes. Silver mod Feeble is replaced with Expand, which increases the radius of Decrepify as it levels up. Expand switches spots with gold mod Amplify Damage.

• Like! 1

Excellent!

One more question, could you make it Area of Effect or have a Area of Effect mod? I think casting the spell on every single enemy can be a bummer and unlike lower resist this is more of a "debuff" than a dot spell.

Thanks and sorry if it sounds too picky, I don't want you to think this as demands, these are just questions.

Edited by Tharkun

Excellent!

One more question, could you make it Area of Effect or have a Area of Effect mod? I think casting the spell on every single enemy can be a bummer and unlike lower resist this is more of a "debuff" than a dot spell.

Thanks and sorry if it sounds too picky, I don't want you to think this as demands, these are just questions.

Oh, I would love to. But there's a problem with that. There's only one long range spell that can curse multiple enemies at once like that, and that's the Dragon Mage's Mind Strike.

So you might think, I should just use the Mind Strike spell class for all the Curses and just change up the visuals and sound fx for each curse. The problem is, Mind Strike's visuals and sound fx are hard coded to the spell class.

In other words, if I did that, every Curse would look and sound exactly the same. In this case, every Curse would look and sound identical to Decrepify. Same sound fx, same bluish explosion on hit, same lack of a lingering visual effect on the enemies. You could never tell which Curse you just cast.

See the problem? I'm forced to adapt other spells to become Curses, and all other such spells in the game are for hitting single targets. I've tried adapting spells like Mortifying Pillory, Dislodged Spirit, Twisted Torment, or Black Curse, but they can't be made to curse multiple enemies at once. Even spells like Viperish Disease or Eternal Fire, only the damage transmits to other enemies, not any debuffs.

All the time I am running into stupid limitations like this when trying to mod the game. Things that should be simple end up being impossible. But then, sometimes things that shouldn't work at all end up working really well. So I guess I take what I can.

Dim Vision doesn't do quite as much damage as Lower Resist, but it does do constant magic damage. You can also mod it to have extra magic DOT, not to mention Life Leech (!). The debuffs might not seem like much but they really cripple the enemy.

Not to mention Curse effects stack in Diablo 2 Fallen, which is something that does not happen in the original Diablo 2. So think of it as a trade off.

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Necromancer Upcoming Changes in v12

I've been spending some quality time with the Necromancer for the next release, not just logging briefly in to test, but actually leveling a Necromancer from scratch up to level 100, playing through every quest and fighting every enemy.  That way I really learn how he performs overall.

•  Poison & Bone aspect: all four damaging spells in this aspect have increased base damage and better damage scaling. This is the Necromancer's only real damage-dealing aspect. It got a much needed boost.  Corpse Explosion in particular should be devastating once you get the regen time down.
  •  Lower Resist: improved damage. This curse and Dim Vision had token damage but given that they're single target I gave them a boost.
  •  Dim Vision: improved damage
  •  Decrepify: Bronze mod "Forgetful" replaced with "Expose" which reduces the opponent's evade chance.  The reason is because penalizing combat art regeneration times has no effect on enemy NPC's.
  •  Raise Skeleton: now summons only one skeleton by default. Bronze mod "Balm" is changed to "Skeletal Mastery" which summons an additional skeleton.
  •  Skeletal Mage: Improved stats and damage on base mages so that the gold mod choice isn't such a no-brainer.  The choice is now heavy damage single target spells vs. area of effect spells.
  •  Clay Golem: several sounds (footsteps, attacks, idle sounds) are reworked to be less intrusive. He was using the Gar'Colossus's sound profile which resulted in deafening stomps every time he moved.  Also, the basic Clay Golem gets a retexture to look more brown and earthy.

NZYvXpEm.jpg

More about the Class Quests: The Necromancer's class-specific quests are rewritten to make sense with the Necromancer as the protagonist.  It is still the same story at its core - the character dealing with his surprise daughter, Shirka Alana, and the treachery inherent in working with the Inquisition, but the details are different.  Character dialogues and motivations are fleshed out and generally make more sense.  D2 Lore is worked in whenever possible, and the distinction between Necromancers (the priests of Rathma) and Inquisitors (nominally priests of the Light, who have been corrupted) is made more clear.

Finally, there are more rewards sprinkled over the course of the chain quest as it plays out:

•  Class quest "All or Nothing" drops Blackhand Key as reward.
  •  Class quest "Shirka With the Dragons" drops Boneflame as reward.

0apS5yMm.jpg    J6pfxxFm.jpg

• Respect! 1

I have great respect and appreciation for all the work here Flix.  Years and years after the release of this game, you're a model of fan ardor and dedication in building what must be one of the greatest mod to a game made.  The sheer effort and commitment is just astonishing.

Thank you for everything you and your team has put together for thecommunity

:hugs:

gogo

• Thanks! 1