Diablo 2 Fallen Creatures Thread

Flix

• 2 weeks later...

Update #4 on New Creature Designs

I'm making changes faster than I can document them, but I'll try to keep up.

Wild Cats

I found 3 unused creature designs for panthers, so I rearranged the lineup of big cats somewhat to accommodate them.

Black Panthers (Jungle Region)

Here you can see a new design for elite panthers that I unlocked, among the normal black panthers.

88i1nm4t.jpg

Hell Cats (Cursed Forest)

Here is another unlocked design for elite panthers, amongst the normal versions. They only appear in the "green" parts of this region, making them very rare.

frAa8Mkt.jpg ABS6TSrt.jpg

Night Tigers (Crystal Plane)

Formerly "Felons," the name was changed to a D2 enemy name, mainly because "felon" is a word in the English language for a criminal. When a Seraphim asked me to "go kill a felon" I thought I was being ordered to hunt down a criminal.

The elite design (right) is a new unlocked skin I found.

VXW90l4t.jpg 4FmA9MRt.jpg

Other big cats remain in the same places, with the same designs. Spotted Jungle Cats on Dyr Lain, Snow Leopards in the Northland, and Lions in the Bengaresh Basin.

Thorned Hulks and Bramble Hulks

Ents have been beefed up and made a bit more menacing. Bramble Hulks (1st pic) the normal versions of the enemies, are bigger but with no special powers. Thorned Hulks (2nd and 3rd pics) are the elite enemies, they are even bigger and they have a hard hit attack and a stomp Area of Effect attack. The 3rd pic is a new design I found unused in the game files. The Forest Guardian (4th pic) is even bigger still, and has a new Edaphic Lances attack.

hOaiAKRt.jpg NLwF7Ixt.jpg NIIJqlgt.jpg kT6HFOzt.jpg

The leader of the "Former Christmas Trees" on Christmas Island is no longer called "Ent Opponent." He is now a bit bigger and stronger and called "Lord Tannenbaum." :)

Wolf Riders

In a previous post I mentioned finding some unused Kobold textures. I realized they were intended to be used for variants of the Kobold Wolf Rider, so after some tweaking I added them to the game world. From left: Devilkin Wolf Rider, Wolf Rider Scout, Wolf Rider Hunter.

WggawDnt.jpg Wk99iXnt.jpg RzHKC7Kt.jpg

The scouts sometimes have magic wands and can cast poison balls.

Misc Enemies

Elite Spiders

Ascaron made a texture for elite Spitting Spiders that was never used until now.

dbNaZrYt.jpg

Heavy Turtles

It looks like Heavy Turtles were intended to have their own skins, instead they wound up being identical to tropical Snappers. Here is the unlocked design:

EBbLu3ym.jpg

They appear on various coastlines across Ancaria (Artamark, Jungle, a few other places).

Scorpions

Formerly there were three variants, but Ascaron made an extra green one so it's now unlocked. The designs were further altered thanks to Wardust's textures. Here they are for size comparisons. The champions (on the right) have a poison hard hit attack that is very dangerous.

0BTmVA6t.jpg

Elite Griffins

My friend Pesmontis made a very cool Griffin skin that may someday go onto a Griffin mount. For now it can be seen on elite Griffins in the desert basin.

b3mhTDAt.jpg

General Changes

• Most elite enemies (champions) who use melee attacks now have a "hard hit" attack. There are variants of this attack which are "poison hard hit," "bleeding hard hit," and "slowing hard hit." Don't underestimate champions who close in on you.
  • Most elite enemies who use ranged attacks have a "multi-hit" attack that sends out multiple projectiles at once.
  • Ranged enemies of all kinds who use throwing stars and throwing daggers now also have a chance to use throwing potions.
  • Magic using champions now have at least 1-2 extra spells compared to their normal counterparts.
  • Most shamans (Devilkin, Blood Valkyrie, Human Cultist, Goblin, Orc, Ogre, Jungle Lizard) can cast Heal on injured allies and Revive on fallen allies. Take them down first.
  • Champions are generally a little bigger than normal enemies, especially for monsters and wild animals. In cases where the skins are the same for normal/champion, the size difference is more pronounced.
  • These changes go for many friendly NPC fighters as well, so they don't just get slaughtered by enemies. It will also make fights between NPC's more interesting to watch.

Tons more creature updates to come.

• Like! 1

Thanks for the support friends.

Update #6 on New Creature Designs

Christmas Island
Arctic Wolves
I found a white "snow wolf" texture that wasn't used anywhere in the game. I put them in the Northland, so there will be about a 50/50 split between Arctic Wolves and Snow Leopards.
tv2bx8Rt.jpg dqNXhfat.jpg
They have no special abilities and no elite versions. I may try to give them fur in the future. EDIT: Yep, just added fur. See second picture.

Walther
Not so long ago, Walther, Haenir, and The Guardian were all identical Yeti Chieftain bosses. Now they are all different. Walther had some "Christmas Troll" clothes that Ascaron made but never used. So I dressed him to be more fesitve.
ZpJ5QPUm.jpg
Walther's abilities:

• Freezing Hard Hit
  • Expulse Magic
  • Magic Trap
  • Levin Array (this will cause magic and magic DOT, and slow your movement and attack)

The Ice Hydra
The Ice Hydra is now a boss. It's bigger and has been powered up. It will only appear as part of the Christmas quest now (no longer part of The Northland Expedition).
YJfgRgGt.jpg bjaUW6Tt.jpg NhLxQMBt.jpg
Ice Hydra abilities:

• Freezing Hard Hit
  • Blind (black cloud around your head, lowers your speed and attack)
  • Ice Cloud (cone-shaped mist attack)
  • Arctic Blast (Gust of Wind-like attack that knocks you back)

The Fury Broodmother
Previously, you would kill the Ice Hydra for both the Northland Expedition and Christmas quests. This meant you would kill it and then possibly go back and kill it again, or fight two at once if you timed the quests right. However, it seemed weird to me that the "Fury Broodmother" was a Hydra. Now it's a huge Fury (Harpy) that I created. I found an unused Harpy texture that was called "harpy miniboss" so I suspect it was intended for this creature all along.
WZpZR88t.jpg SensVEwt.jpg YTVsguFt.jpg
Abilities:

• Freezing Hard Hit
  • Frost Flare (ice damage and freezes you)
  • Chain Lightning (ice damage and debuffs you)
  • Icy Evanescence (Area of Effect ice attack that lowers your ice resistance)

Haenir
Thanks to the latest CM Patch, Haenir (Northland Expedition boss) is no longer a Yeti chieftain. He is now a big Thraconian boss, as the quest always suggested he was. All Thraconians in general are a bit bigger now, and Haenir is towering.

I forgot to take any pictures, but his design isn't unique. I may give him a new skin in the future to make him more exciting.
Haenir's abilities:

• Hard Hit
  • Freezing Hard Hit
  • Damage Buff: crossed swords buff, boosts his attack and weapon damage
  • Expulse Magic
  • Magic Trap

The reward for defeating Haenir and completing the Northland Expedition quest is the unique mace Braggis's Law.

Master Bruin
Master Bruin the polar bear is no longer a boss. He's now an elite enemy, but still tough. He has a hard hit attack and a bleeding hard hit attack.

Christmas Gnomes

Due their appearance, the Kobolds in the Northland aren't called Devilkin. They are now Gnomes. Otherwise the same cute little creatures.

=======================================================

Crystal Plane
Elite Lupan
I activated an unused texture for elite Lupans. They are dark blue whereas the normal versions are red. They can cast a poison cloud attack.
HHkwAalt.jpg

Elite Ursaron
Another unused texture. They are red whereas the normal versions are white. They have a freezing hard hit attack.
qIg1jhRt.jpg

The Guardian
This yeti chieftain boss is bigger and meaner. He also has a new buff that makes him look more frightening.
leV4oR7m.jpg
Abilities:

• Crystal Skin (adds to his physical armor and ice mitigation, chance to reflect your spells, and slows your movement if you get too close)
  • Expulse Magic
  • Magic Trap
  • Freezing Hard Hit

=========================================================

Elemental Lords

All elemental lords are a bit bigger now, and each will give a perfect gem as a reward.

Earth Lord

This boss got a new appearance using the now unused earth elemental skin from the Dragon Mage CA Protector. The old skin is now found on elite earth elementals (Dragon Caves). The Earth Lord also summons two of them to help him.

8br3YQ5t.jpg 3LgrI5mt.jpg Zi87Nh8t.jpg

Abilities:

• Summon 2 elite earth elementals
  • Dust Cloud (Area of Effect attack causes physical damage, gives him good chances to evade and block spells)
  • Fire Trap
  • Slowing Hard Hit

Poison Lord

Appearance is the same as always.

Abilities:

• Poison Hard Hit
  • Poison Spit (same as spitting spiders)
  • Poison Trap
  • Poison Torment (uses Twisted Torment fx, slows you and causes poison damage over 4 seconds)

Flame Lord

Appearance same as always.

Abilities:

• Flame Skin Buff (causes pulses of fire damage)
  • Hard Hit
  • Meteor Shower
  • Blazing Tempest

Ice Lord

Appearance same as always.

Abilities:

• Frost Aura (causes pulses of ice damage and freezes you)
  • Icy Evanescence
  • Ice Missile
  • Glacial Thorns

===========================================================

Miscellaneous

Hydras

I put a few more Hydras in the swamp. The few that were there were quest-related; none spawned randomly. They can be found in the southwest parts of the Swamp, but still rare, in accordance with the lore. They are bigger than before.

YH1sQ62t.jpg vxSE9zZt.jpg

Normal Hydras have an electricity attack that causes magic/physical damage and has a good chance to stun and weaken you. They also have weakening nova attack that debuffs your attack and physical armor. Elite Hydras additionally have a poison hard hit attack.

Wild Earth Elemental

I created this elite enemy for the Druid class quest. I intend to have a "fight, then talk" encounter, but for now, it's just "fight." He uses the old Destroyer elemental skin. No special abilities.

AZC7k7zt.jpg

More updates to come!

Edited by Flix
  • Like! 1

Update #8 on New Creature Designs

Foul Crows
KFN1oKx.gif    Harpies are a little smaller now and named after the various flying bird demons of D2. From left: Blood Hawk, Cloud Stalker, Black Raptor, Desert Wing
7Kq6an8t.jpg rrHjlzht.jpg

Various spells used by Foul Crows are: Wind Cone attack, Fire Shield buff, Electricity Shock, Bleeding Hard Hit, Blind debuff.
Cloud Stalkers additionally have a few new spells: Levin Array and Storm Cloud
UqfBl3Mt.jpg hTOFoG4t.jpg

T-Energy Soldiers
Daloriel the Depraved now has a shield that matches his equipment. He can also use Primal Mutation on you. The 4 guardians of energy (Ancient Secrets) share these changes. Daloriel's elite companions have lightning attacks. One has the blue lightning (energy leech, debuffing, magic DOT), while the other has red lightning (life leech, magic DOT). They can also heal Daloriel.
4EuHwRxt.jpg 25hhcd3t.jpg

Thranak the Mad Ogre
Thranak is bigger and stronger now. He also has a weapon now: a T-Energy staff that we added in the Item Mod.
eKgH37yt.jpg 2wSNBXBt.jpg UPHjRxat.jpg
These are Thranak's abilities:

• Attack Scream buff: red nova casting fx, orange lightning aura. Increases attack rating, attack & cast speed.
  • Damage Boost buff: crossed swords fx, boosts weapon damage and attack rating
  • Primal Mutation: Magic attack that can't be dodged
  • Spawn T-Bear and T-Wolf: mutated animal minions

Other enemies without weapons or abilities have some now:

• Gambling Den Owner: has a dagger now, and various Hard Hit attacks
  • Black Seraphim: wields the Soulflay Fork and actually has abilities now. Bleeding hard hit, Archangel's Wrath, Energy Shield buff, and burning skeleton summons
  • Human cult mages have magic staves now and can revive fallen allies.
  • Some enemies can use Spectral Hand now: Sinister Prince, King El-Leigh and elite mummy priests, elite armor suits (Cursed Forest), Du'Rach boss
  • The Banshee and the Evocator have some new spells: Ice Missile, Frost Ring, Mind Strike, Blue Lightning Strike, Teleport
  • Other enemies can use Mind Strike now: elite Flying Skulls and the Scaron boss (the latter can also use Primal Mutation)
  • Furious Emblazer will show up a few times: Fire Tower traps can use it, and so can elite fire elementals
  • There's a couple more unused textures I made use of : a red flying eye and an elite albino rat
  • I gave Haenir Kaldur's Legacy and a new skull shield design to wield

Well updates are winding down with this creatures sub-project, but I just figured out how to place new unique monsters on the map, so expect new updates on Diablo 2 unique enemies and bosses coming soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Update #10 on New Creature Designs: More Super-Uniques

Creeping Feature

This ghoul lives in a swamp cave. There are only 4 caves in the Swamp so I'll let it be a surprise where you find him. Don't let his slow speed fool you. He's extra strong and cold enchanted.

bToyJF6.gif     5Ldde8Um.jpg

Beetleburst

A gigantic scarab beetle roams near the path leading up to the great tomb just south of the Sands of a Thousand Antennae. His main tactic is to chomp you and zap you with Charged Bolts.

wzd22T3.gif     r5z9HTet.jpg

Ventar the Unholy

This Balrog demon can be found in the Wastelands, deep in the canyons near a dragon skeleton.

9f4CKyU.gif    MbgaUOVm.jpg

Snapchip Shatter

The Hucin are now known as Frozen Horrors. Snapchip Shatter is a huge Frozen Horror who blocks your way across the Bridge Spanning Nothing. He has an array of ice attacks and buffs at his disposal.

ipUHH62.gif     XF4djrzm.jpg uTkC40qt.jpg

Frozenstein

Turns out Ascaron also made a "Yeti Hunter" creature that was never implemented. He's lurking outside the southern entrance to the yeti cave on Christmas Island.

lieUZRz.gif     VMMSKKpm.jpg

Bonus: Yeti with fur. I added fur to the normal Yeti fighters.

utuqG3Jm.jpg

Bone Ash and Bonesaw Breaker

In my old thread about modding new enemies, I dreamed of making a pair of skeleton bosses who inhabited the lowest room of the Jail Island dungeon. Now that's a reality as these two super-uniques can be found there.

P9yTdu9.gif     EOfAmPx.gif     qBxFap5t.jpg vAHicxrt.jpg bcwYD8At.jpg

Both skeletons are damage-resistant and have a hard hit attack but the real danger is their auras. Bone Ash will burn you and Bonesaw Breaker will freeze you.

Sszark the Burning

Another wish of mine was to put a spider boss in the desert. I had thought to try a retexture of the Shroud Spider, but when I discovered the Gargantura enemy type I knew I had found my spider boss. Sszark is a true boss-class enemy, so I'll let you track him down (he's in the middle of nowhere west of Khorum). Needless to say get ready to be webbed and burned.

ViOdPM4.gif    lvPV8xIt.jpg

Hephasto the Smith

Underneath the Orcish city of Za'Zuruik is a system of mines. Apparently they delved too deeply and greedily. You can find Orcs battling fire elementals all throughout the mines. At the lowest level is a demon-possessed Ogre blacksmith, still wielding his hammer, who no longer recognizes friend from foe.

QoPeNco.gif    ad8AQpMm.jpg

Trolls=Wendigo

No super uniques here, but I wanted to note I've converted Trolls into the Wendigo, similar creatures from Diablo 2. They have more earthy skin tones (no longer purple-pink) and are a bit bigger, but otherwise they're not much different aside from the names.

BgAZmWT.gif     e42HCOot.jpg

More updates to come! Next time you will see new models imported from other games, including a blast-from-the-past: creatures returning from Sacred 1! :)

• Like! 1

Update #13 on New Creature Designs

Zakarum Zealots
In D2F, the Elven religion in Tyr Lysia is now that of the Zakarum, the religion of the Light. Just like the state religion of the vanilla game, it has been corrupted by dark powers. In addition to Inquisitors and their guards, there are also fantical followers of Zakarum. In a perfect world, they would be Paladins and Holy Priests, but corrupted as they are, they have a twisted appearance and are half-mad with zeal.
Normal variants have no special abilities but they can dual wield. Elites are called Zakarum Fanatics. They carry big scythes and have a hard hit and a fanaticism buff that increases the speed and attack of allies.
There are no more brigands and thieves east of Thylysium. They are all replaced by Zealots now.
3eTfriy.gif     jwZ1re5t.jpg X7ze2LXt.jpg jRt7Unam.jpg

Zakarum Priests
The Zakarum mages accompany the soldiers, healing their wounds and casting other sinister spells. Cantors cast a magic ball, heal, and use a buff that disrupts your CA regeneration. Heirophants are more powerful. They can resurrect fallen allies, cast chain lightning that can deactivate your buffs, and use a reflection spike shield.
EG3TgDU.gif     GW6h2DNt.jpg mK0rYTTt.jpg

Blunderbore
We've got three new giant-type enemies that serve as variants of this D2 brute. The first is the Blunderbore, a hill giant that lives in the areas of north-eastern Nor Plat. They're allied with the goblins and fight against the raiding Thraconians. They are elites so they have a hard hit and a "stomp" attack (causes stun).
aT1bHNb.gif     wr3mFcsm.jpg

Gorebelly
Gorebellies are cyclops-like monsters who are allied with Devilkin and Wendigo. They fight against Orcs and Ogres if they encounter them. Normals have charge and stomp special moves. Gorebelly Elders have a hard hit and an area weaken debuff.
8mOd72w.gif     0As4IoSm.jpg JDMCcIct.jpg

Urdar
Urdar are the ice giants of the frozen north, smaller than their southern cousins but no less dangerous. They appear in the snowy parts of the Crystal Plane. They are elites with a stomp attack and a freezing hard hit.
BAkcTv6.gif     VG4jt35m.jpg

Infernal Sirens
These demonic witches spawn in the Cursed Forest. As normal-class enemies only, they act as "little sisters" to the big Balrogs and can always be found nearby them. They don't have much in the way of powerful attacks, but they can Blind you (debuffed attack rating and speed) which can be a real hindrance.
FmqI1HD.gif    gSHzi3Cm.jpg S68IYAFt.jpg

Succubus
The Succubus enemy can be found in the Dragon Caves. They are spell casters who have two attacks: Charged Bolts which fire relentlessly (but only if you get too close), and a seeking orange magic orb.
Fq38gMq.gif  hMKNAgfm.jpg

Witch Moon (super-unique)

Witch Moon was a unique Succubus from Diablo 1. Unlike the normal variants, she is armed and has an energy leech buff. She can cast a seeking Fireball and Archangel's Wrath (also target seeking). She hangs out near the road to the Scorpion Temple.

XVJx99B.gif  M8Y1IlZt.jpg sSH0EIVt.jpg

The Countess
This super-unique vampiress makes her lair in the lowest level of the dungeon underneath Black Oaks. She can summon up lesser vampires, use a dangerous life-leech buff and hit you with bleeding attacks. As an undead she can resurrect herself.
oaBXl39.gif     pa7UtgGm.jpg QwFRZocm.jpg

Pindleskin
This undead fighter lurks in the secret passage between Tyr Lysia and Artamark. He has a buff that boosts his damage and a hard hit attack.
tyHmxTM.gif     NKoalrKt.jpg bBIhTiwt.jpg

Ancient Kaa the Soulless
A powerful mummy priest that can cast an array of spells. He casts Black Curse and his buff disrupts your CA regeneration. He can also cast Spectral Hand and a close-range "slime nova" (same as used by zombies and ghouls). He's in the crypt wing of the Ancestor's Chambers (Dyr Lain).
IvIoW9E.gif     732b6gKt.jpg JvgGaIOt.jpg

Mephisto
The Lord of Hatred makes his debut in D2F as a boss at the summit of the Temple of Tears. He has a powerful life leech buff and can cast Charged Bolts and Chain Lightning.
ZQ1IJ7Z.gif    7V3JxRDt.jpg X7fW9Gmt.jpg Evgmk79t.jpg

Andariel
The Maiden of Anguish is the new boss at the end of the Lost Crypt quest in the Cursed Forest (rather than an elite Harbinger of Death). She has Andariel's familiar traits, such as a Poison Nova and a sensitivity to fire. She can also root you and use some powerful hard hits that cause poisoning, bleeding, and life leech. Despite wielding a sword in these pics I decided to make her attack with her claws instead.
ewgqAj2.gif     Eg8NvdFt.jpg AuuBD9Kt.jpg toSjSs9t.jpg

Miscellaneous
Immunity System: I'm trying to emulate the D2 system whereby most enemies have immunity to certain damage types at the highest difficulty level. The method is by adding high damage mitigation to enemies. Since the game automatically scales bonuses based on enemy level and difficulty level, at low levels it will be less obvious, and at high levels it will close to full immunity. I'm going to start with obvious enemies, such as elementals, and see how that goes.

I also noticed the Elite Harbingers of Death (now called Dark Stalkers) are scripted to dual wield two swords, but because they lack the skill they only have one sword. I gave them the skill so now they are a bit more deadly due the the increased damage and attack speed.
LPgqsHCt.jpg

Lord de Seis

The Lich at the end of the quest "The Lich" is no longer an anonymous lich, he is now Lord de Seis. The appearance is the same but he has more spells: Frost Area of Effect, Freezing Hard Hit, Summon Skeletons, and Frost Flare.

V8ah1JW.gif      th_UN-Lich.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Presenting all the creature updates of Diablo 2 Fallen. Any future creature updates will be posted here. I hope to put these on the Wiki soon for somewhat easier browsing.

• Like! 1
  • 5 months later...

Creature Update #17

In this update I show you 2 new dragon bosses I placed in the game.

Mutated Dragon

Although designed by Ascaron, this dragon design was probably never seen before, since there is no T-Energy near any of the dragons to mutate them. The mutated dragon can be found in the T-Energy Field, near the middle. His attacks and spells inflict mostly magic damage.

wFmQTwmt.jpg z2VcMR1t.jpg y3BVlVct.jpg

Blood Dragon

The Blood Dragon lives in the Cursed Forest, in the south-eastern part, north of Halko's Manor. His attacks are focused on bleeding and life leech. The design is a recolor of the scaly skinned dragon mount that Pesmontis made.

Or5sygPt.jpg vr3Ipmst.jpg nk3QMnIt.jpg

The Mutated Dragon is my favorite...coruscating blue effect is magnificent. As some of the biggest creatures in the game, making new changes like this creates great additional value for players.

Thank you Flix!

:)

gogo

• Like! 1