Diablo 2 Fallen Creatures Thread

Flix

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Flix, did you made the 3D model, textures and animations of Baal ?
It's really great, I would like to use it for free modding in other hack and slash like Grim Dawn or Wolcen, would it be possible (of course I would credit the authors) ?

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

D2F v12 Creature Updates, Part 1

There are so many monster updates to the upcoming release, I'm splitting them up into chunks.  This first chunk is mostly about enemy stats and spells.

•  Gave a balancing pass to all elite, superunique, and boss enemies in the game to smooth out excessive damage, hitpoints, and xp per kill.
  •  The damage of the various enemy Hard Hit/Multi-Hit attacks is greatly reduced to avoid causing unfair damage spikes that could one-shot the player.
  •  Slightly increased enemy weapon damage across the board.
  •  Reworked some diversity into enemy resistances. Poison and Magic resistance are no longer ubiquitous, and Fire + Cold resistances are sometimes paired together now.
  •  Vanilla mini-bosses: Gahanka, Bloodclaw, Holos, and a few others got powered up to keep them in line with other D2F bosses.  They have greater damage, hit chance, hitpoints, and resistances.
  •  Several vanilla quest opponents are now more powerful, worthy foes (Earth Elemental Ihheni, Nagash, the Djinn, Sheik Yerbouti, and dozens of others).
  •  Revised enemy spawns so that new D2F creatures are more likely to spawn together in their own packs instead of mixed in with vanilla mobs.
  •  D2F quest opponents no longer spawn before the quest starts or respawn after they're killed.  You can always start a free campaign game to replay the quests at will.
  •  Several formerly solitary superunique enemies now have a pack of minions accompanying them.
  •  Changed the FX on Shelob's "Frosty Lair" spell to improve performance.  The battle is stressful enough without the framerate dropping into the single digits.
  •  Blood Raven's multi-arrow attack is no longer target-seeking. In return, the damage of each arrow is increased. She now only summons 1 fresh undead minion at a time.
  •  Revised boss Dragon spells somewhat. Underground dragons use fewer flying attacks than their outdoor counterparts.
  •  Spider venom spit attack now does Poison/Poison DOT instead of Physical/Poison DOT.
  •  Succubus ice attack (glowing yellow orbs) swapped out for a fire spell. It was unfair to have an enemy use an ice spell in a fire region, let alone a spell with a fiery looking FX.
  •  Dark Ones and Devilkin Wolf Riders should no longer spawn with the equipment of Fallen Mages.
  •  Reworked extra lives for Undead. Normal undead = 0; Elites and some quest enemies = 1; Superuniques and bosses = 2.
  •  Hitboxes for several small enemies (rats, bats, small dragons) are now appropriately sized.

Spending so much intimate time leveling characters from scratch really made apparent some of the mod's imbalances, particularly with elites often being too powerful, sometimes more powerful than mini-bosses, as well as certain spells/special moves having huge damage spikes.

I really dislike how in the vanilla game, you could get by with just fire and ice damage types.  Everything is resistant to magic and poison, but few are resistant to ice. For those few ice-resistant enemies, none are resistant to fire, so you would just switch to fire.  This is no longer the case.  You may have to re-learn what enemy types are resistant to what damage types. However it is not random, every resistance choice makes sense in terms of the monsters and the world.

Overall, progression through the game should feel more smooth and fair, regardless of character class.

I found about a dozen superunique enemies who were lonely and needed minions, since after all they usually spawned in D2 as leaders of a pack. 

Among those affected are Coldcrow, Bloodwitch the Wild, Stormtree, Witch Moon, Creeping Feature, Eyeback the Unleashed, Eldritch the Rectifier, Icehawk Riftwing, and more.

FbeGfbF.jpg

6 hours ago, Flix said:

Spending so much intimate time leveling characters from scratch really made apparent some of the mod's imbalances, particularly with elites often being too powerful, sometimes more powerful than mini-bosses, as well as certain spells/special moves having huge damage spikes.

I really dislike how in the vanilla game, you could get by with just fire and ice damage types.  Everything is resistant to magic and poison, but few are resistant to ice. For those few ice-resistant enemies, none are resistant to fire, so you would just switch to fire.  This is no longer the case.  You may have to re-learn what enemy types are resistant to what damage types. However it is not random, every resistance choice makes sense in terms of the monsters and the world.

FbeGfbF.jpg

Love this.  I'd also felt that having those "easy elements" made the game too easy, at least after getting some experience with reading guides and playing online... creating more need for all elements is going to add some great challenge  with good reason

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Thanks! 1

D2F v12 Creature Updates, part 2

This update is mainly concerned with changes to creature appearances, behavior, and locations.

•  Thraconian beards are now matched to the hair color of the models they spawn on (red, black, or grey).  Just a lack of polish that always bothered me, now corrected.

hXFgmUhm.jpg

•  Haenir Hologram (Northland Expedition) now matches his physical form; is no longer a generic Thraconian hologram.  He's a big bad Barbarian.

0dQC9rQm.jpg

•  Swapped two Draconic Dragonfly/Dracolin designs where each seemed to be more appropriate in the opposite expansion area.  I think I mentioned this somewhere... it's plain as day these two were meant to be in the other's region.

Zxa7RDdm.jpg   TgQKp8dm.jpg

•  The Marigold Fields in the Swamps are cleared of Undead (replaced with Bramble Hulks) because it is a major plot point that the marigolds drive away the Undead.

JPEqvaMl.jpg

• Reworked Duriel's animations and special moves for greater variety. He previously a single "punch" attack animation, now he's got a whole array of attacks. He also stomps menacingly toward you instead of doing that flailing "jog."
  • Fixed a bug where some Jungle Hunters and Panthers were spawning in Dyr-Lain.  Just a vanilla script typo that's now fixed.
  •  Increased Blood Hawk/Black Raptor/Cloud Stalker spawns in Tyr Lysia and Nor Plat.  There were so few of these in the vanilla game, plus the Dark Rituals quest has you hunting more of them in Nor Plat.  Now there's plenty to be found if you look in the right places.
  •  Battlemaid Sarina takes the place of the generic Black Rogue as the quest target of "Against the Blood Valkyries." This quest now drops Sword of the Blood Valkyries upon completion.  She is otherwise the same, a powerful, high-damage super unique solo fight.
  •  Coldcrow is moved from Nor Plat and takes Battlemaid Sarina's old spot in the Ancestor's Chambers.  Coldcrow now has an entourage of Black Rogues with flaming swords. So you're up against fire & ice.
  •  Leaping Plants no longer make jet engine sounds when they jump.  I think this was a side effect of the CM Patch making them use the same "Leap" CA that Kral has, so it had a mechanical sound. 
  •  Blood Valkyries should no longer shout victory lines when they die.
  •  Mummies roaming the Bengaresh Desert no longer get in fights with other enemies.  When I made the mummies emerge from their tombs, the Stone Guardians who were supposed to be guarding them turned against them!  I forced them to be friends now.
  •  Allied soldier NPC's in the Wastelands should no longer turn on each other.  I had to hand place each soldier in the Wastelands, and I messed up a few factions. These are now fixed.
  •  Swampbelly Toads ("A Feast" quest) are now actually toads instead of turtles. 

Swampbelly Toads are real!  I never told anyone how strangely disappointed I was when I first played the game and saw that Swampbelly Toads were just regular turtles.  I was reminded of this oddity every time I talked to one of the Epic Office Quest employees, and one of their generic lines is, "When you're at the Lizardmen's you really should take a look at the swampbelly toads. Very interesting creatures."

Well, as was so often the case, Ascaron actually made the Swampbelly Toads, and then somehow never implemented them.  So now, for the first time you can actually provide the hungry Lizardmen with their delicious Swampbelly Toads feast!

3h7A5P1m.jpg   WB6SClPm.jpg

D2F v12 Creatures Update, part 3

This final update is mainly concerned with quest enemy behavior and rewards.

•  Beetleburst is now the final opponent in the chain quest "The Scarabs' Lair" and is moved to that cave in northern Bengaresh. This quest now drops Amulet of the Jade Scarab upon completion.  This chain quest starts in Khorum with the merchants who's looking for his missing caravan.
  •  Defeating the Garganthropod now drops Signet of the Apocalypse instead of Amulet of the Jade Scarab.
  •  Defeating the Swirling Mist of Miasma now drops Faye's Gloom instead of the (Sorceress-only) Ring of Swirling Mist.
  •  Rakanishu is now a quest target of the Light-path "Shadows of the Seraphim" quest along with Earth Elemental Ihheni. He will still spawn outside the quest so Shadow path characters can fight him.
  •  Flayed Souls quest once again has the player kill a Flaming Horse (as in vanilla game) intead of a Balrog.
  •  The player can now strike the killing blow on Grand Inquisitor Nimonuil on the Light Path.  This change was made for Shadow Path characters in the previous release; I have copied the script change over for the Light Path quest as well.  This means he now counts as a kill, and shows up in the Last Opponent window.
  • Thanks! 1

Ventar's model is really really cool! The other two are based on the Sakkara demon, but is the face the same? Curious about that bit. The difference between the first two is just the colour scheme then? Ventar is boss-level and the other two are elites?

2 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Ventar's model is really really cool! The other two are based on the Sakkara demon, but is the face the same? Curious about that bit. The difference between the first two is just the colour scheme then? Ventar is boss-level and the other two are elites?

Correct, the generic Balrogs and Infector of Souls are just the Sakkara demon, shrunk down and retextured. No changes to the model.

Ventar's model is adapted from one of the Lord of the Ring games.

7dgr3yw.jpg

They're actually all technically "elite" class enemies.  Though now that I look at the stats I realize they're pretty outdated.  You can see how uneven they used to be. Now Ventar does indeed feel like a boss, with roughly the same damage as pictured but much more hitpoints and armor.

The generic Balrogs act as "big brothers" to the Infernal Siren normal-class enemies, and together they replace the Flaming Horse enemies entirely in the Blood Forest. 

Infernal_siren.jpg

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

Stop now, you're making me want to install the game again to play the mod! :bow:

Final release should be out this month (only took 5 years hooray), you'll have no excuse then.  :diablo:

• Like! 1
  • 7 months later...

Hey flix, in that area that's filled with t energy pools near the desert the mutated rats have a weird teleport ancestral fireball attack (sorry I can't describe it more accurately) it looks odd that they disappear for a moment, then there's a explotion on my character and then reappears, is this intentional?

5 hours ago, Tharkun said:

Hey flix, in that area that's filled with t energy pools near the desert the mutated rats have a weird teleport ancestral fireball attack (sorry I can't describe it more accurately) it looks odd that they disappear for a moment, then there's a explotion on my character and then reappears, is this intentional?

It's a teleport attack.  Vanilla game scripted combat art for certain enemies.  Is there some kind of problem with it?

• Like! 1
33 minutes ago, Flix said:

It's a teleport attack.  Vanilla game scripted combat art for certain enemies.  Is there some kind of problem with it?

Oh, no, not at all, because they disappear and reappear I thought they did not have a proper casting animation for ancestral fireball.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, desm said:

I've encountered 2 superuniques who hadn't their names displayed: Pindleskin (I remember he had it displayed on ealier versions of D2F) and Colenzo the Annihilator (D2F v13b hotfix)

Hm, that's worrisome. I just checked and the names are still encoded, right where they've always been. This makes me wonder if there wasn't some error encoding the French localization.   Can you please check for any other missing text (logbook, enemies, or combat arts)?

If you notice on my screen, the "N" of Niveau seems a little bit hidden. I wonder if simply it doesn't fit the ennemy name frame. Maybe a resolution matter or something. But for Pindleskin I don't know. I've encountered Firewound the Grim and it was displayed. I haven't notice anything else strange text-related.

Crap, another superunique has his name not diplayed! Why the hell does it happen only for superuniques, I have no other problems at all. It's Achmel the Cursed.

1584988250-sacred2-2020-03-23-19-22-28-5

2 hours ago, desm said:

Crap, another superunique has his name not diplayed! Why the hell does it happen only for superuniques, I have no other problems at all. It's Achmel the Cursed.

I noticed some missing text in the English version today, even though it was encoded.  Can you check the "Discoverer" achievement in the log book please? It's the one that says "Any hero that reached the Wastelands and accepted a quest there."

Or see if any other text is missing in the Achievements section.  I wonder if something got messed up a recent version.  If so I can retrace my steps and try to start from the last version that didn't have these errors.