Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem

2 hours ago, Flix said:

I found Wolcen to be a thoroughly enjoyable adventure.  While I would rank it below an S-tier game like Grim Dawn, Titan Quest, or Diablo2-3, it's a solid A-tier for sure, on par with Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing or Warhammer Chaosbane.

The graphics are way better than they have any right to be, the story and voice-acting are pretty good. Gameplay and character building are competently done but not groundbreaking.

XNMdWzp.jpg   oG8Honw.png 

QIyf42S.jpg  FDOd5an.jpg 

PzUuRk8.png

Thats an endearing view of the game, it makes me so close to just pick it up in lieu of a night time reading book eh? 

And great game  gallery shots you chose, the one with the plague mask really hits some feelings, specially in these times. Also...I have read (a lot) about S type builds for Diablo 3... the kinds that are top notch DPS and nigh invulnerable to all enemies on the way up the latter... but S Quality games? Is this a standard categorization, or do you have more picks on what are considered in this upper niche?

:)

gogo

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Thats an endearing view of the game, it makes me so close to just pick it up in lieu of a night time reading book eh? 

Steam tells me I spent 22 hours completing the full campaign. There are worse ways to spend a week.

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I have read (a lot) about S type builds for Diablo 3... the kinds that are top notch DPS and nigh invulnerable to all enemies on the way up the latter... but S Quality games? Is this a standard categorization, or do you have more picks on what are considered in this upper niche?

I first heard of S-Tier in One Punch Man, where heroes are ranked (from lowest to highest): Class C, B, A, with Class S (super) at the top.

Lately I see a trend of "ranking" videos all the time on youtube that use the same tiers, so I guess it just kind of lodged itself in my vocabulary.  I don't know where it originally came from.

My dungeon crawler ranking list:

S-Tier

• Diablo 2
  • Grim Dawn
  • Titan Quest
  • Sacred 2
  • Divine Divinity
  • Diablo 3
  • Sacred 1

A-Tier

• Dungeon Siege 2
  • Shadows: Awakening
  • Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
  • Torchlight 2
  • Torchlight 1
  • Dungeon Siege 1
  • Diablo 1
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane
  • Beyond Divinity
  • Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

B-Tier

• Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
  • Silverfall
  • Nox
  • Darkstone
  • Dungeon Siege 3
  • Sacred 3

C-Tier

• Legend: Hand of God
  • The Chosen: Well of Souls
  • Loki: Heroes of Mythology (need to make a D-TIer just for this one)

Yet-to-be-ranked cause I never seem to get around to them:

• Victor Vran
  • Path of Exile
  • Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor-Martyr

• Thanks! 1
10 hours ago, Flix said:

Steam tells me I spent 22 hours completing the full campaign. There are worse ways to spend a week.

I first heard of S-Tier in One Punch Man, where heroes are ranked (from lowest to highest): Class C, B, A, with Class S (super) at the top.

Lately I see a trend of "ranking" videos all the time on youtube that use the same tiers, so I guess it just kind of lodged itself in my vocabulary.  I don't know where it originally came from.

My dungeon crawler ranking list:

S-Tier

• Diablo 2
  • Grim Dawn
  • Titan Quest
  • Sacred 2
  • Divine Divinity
  • Diablo 3
  • Sacred 1

A-Tier

• Dungeon Siege 2
  • Shadows: Awakening
  • Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
  • Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem
  • Torchlight 2
  • Torchlight 1
  • Dungeon Siege 1
  • Diablo 1
  • Warhammer: Chaosbane
  • Beyond Divinity
  • Kult: Heretic Kingdoms

B-Tier

• Vikings: Wolves of Midgard
  • Silverfall
  • Nox
  • Darkstone
  • Dungeon Siege 3
  • Sacred 3

C-Tier

• Legend: Hand of God
  • The Chosen: Well of Souls
  • Loki: Heroes of Mythology (need to make a D-TIer just for this one)

Yet-to-be-ranked cause I never seem to get around to them:

• Victor Vran
  • Path of Exile
  • Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor-Martyr

Great read, Ben!  Im like chuckling as I read your best hits list with my first coffee... and yah, a therapeutic replacement for a game in stead of a book sounds better than good. Sometimes a little perspective makes things so much more palatable, and 22 hours is a fair value of time put aside to assuage our weekly recurring horrors :lol: 

Divine Divinity really though .. as an S Tier? I actually have the games disks down stairs! It was the first game I bought for my newby PC and I remember being breathless when I pulled out the magic slowly and reverantly from the box, and in those days the instruction book was everything

I understand S Game for its imagination and huge repertoire of possible actions, potions, spells and character creation, and its amusing that it has lied dormant in the back attics of my mind for years till now. 

:)

gogo

On 8/6/2022 at 8:26 AM, gogoblender said:

Divine Divinity really though .. as an S Tier?

Well I may be guilty of viewing that particular title through rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.  The game means a lot to me. It was also my first online community. 

Objectively most people don't rate the game much these days.  Even the developers Larian studios said that the game they actually wanted to make was a turned-based RPG like Divinity: Original Sin, but their publishers from back then wanted a Diablo-clone instead, so the result was Divine Divinity, a sort of hybrid.  In many ways the strongest parts of Divine Divinity aren't the dungeon-crawling or character building, but instead all the memorable RPG moments, hidden secrets, and Ultima-like interactability with the world.  In that sense Divine Divinity might be more at home on a "best RPG's" list along with Baldur's Gate, Arcanum, or Planescape: Torment.

• 6 months later...

wow, @Flix nice list.. will have to take a look at it if my library is missing some titles in the h&s arpg collection..

€: I see you haven't got Lost Ark, Undecember oder Torchlight:Infinite in your list, also Last Epoch isn't there.. have you ever heard of them / tried them out? where would you put them in your ranking list?

btw, it appears Wolcen is now on Epic Games Store too,

with a big sale, it's only ~9€ right now, but not for very long:

https://store.epicgames.com/de/p/wolcen-lords-of-mayhem-e893e7

definitely worth it's money in that case.

had fun with it, steam tells me I played it for 398 hours.. seems about correct. it must have earned a spot in my top10 or even top5 list of "all time favourites" when measuring in total playtime,

right after Sacred,Sacred2, and Diablo3 I guess.

They recently announced that Act IV is now only 'weeks' away from being released (controller support has already been implemented before that a while ago)

I'm curious if the new Act will be as fun as the others, and  whether I am going to like or hate the massive balancing pass that comes with it..

Edited by Rotluchs

I didn't enjoy Victor Vran much at all, was a bit of a shame because the game seemed to be right up my alley. Wonder if you've picked it up by now Flix.

Having played the campaign of S1 again with my SO, I have to say it fell down my list somewhat. Some technical issues, but also because you really miss a lot in co-op, and compared to a game like D2 there are so many things she finds difficult to understand. She's not really a gamer, so a lot of mechanics and regular gaming-things are all things she needs to learn from scratch.

15 hours ago, Rotluchs said:

I see you haven't got Lost Ark, Undecember oder Torchlight:Infinite in your list, also Last Epoch isn't there

They're not finished yet, or weren't in August of last year, just in early access. Well Lost Ark is I suppose but I'm not interested in MMO's.

I have a friend at work who talks to me about Last Epoch all the time, so it's been on my Steam wishlist for a while.  Whenever it releases I'm sure I'll pick it up.

I'll be glad to give Wolcen another spin when the new content drops.

7 hours ago, Timotheus said:

I didn't enjoy Victor Vran much at all, was a bit of a shame because the game seemed to be right up my alley. Wonder if you've picked it up by now Flix.

I played through the tutorial/prologue area, but it didn't grab me. It might be because it was too close on the heels of playing Van Helsing, and the "carbon copy" feeling was strong.  It's the same visuals, the same music, the same supernatural steampunk aesthetic. Even the characters blend together.  Van Helsing goes to Borgovia with his companion Lady Katerina. Victor Vran goes to Zagarovia to meet with Queen Katarina...

I've actually spent the last 6 months playing through the entire Dragon Age trilogy in one go, as well as fair amount of Grim Dawn, the "king" of the genre IMO.

besides the recent release/sale on Epic Games Store, (it was steam exlusive before),

it appears they are also launching it on consoles soon, March 15/16th - at least for Sony Playstation 4 and 5 :

Greetings,

Bob/James/Rot

• Like! 1