Happy Lappy

gogoblender

My baby has arrived. My first laptop ever! For years ever since we started playing Sacred and working on this forum all my works come from a corner of my room where my screens and towere are. During all that time Id kinda come to the understanding that its okay to come home to "work". But lately, with the sun out in a blue blue sky, and wanting to get out on a bike or at least hike, decided to take the plunge and looked carefully at whats out there. My number one priority was being mobile. Course thats the most expensive priority :lol: Originally Id ordered the lenovo 710 idea pad... beautiful maching, land all reviews saying it had great value, with some small misgivings... the machine arrived, but tby then, Id already changed my mind ...I kept looking at the New Egg Site where I got the machine from... it's all about the filters.! No half arsed stumbling around a curated website thats wonky and slow... New Egg has a sick filter system...I could zero in on almost any computer I want and filter by resolution, size, cpu, was like playing Transformers :P

Never then opened the Lenovo, and waited the next day for ... dom dom dom ... The worlds BEST Ultra Note... Dell XPS 13! I love its weight, love its gorgous screen...almost edge to edge..it's a thirteen inch screen that can fit inside a 11 inch space, no bezels on the scree almost :D... and touch screen!

Here she is,,, Schot outfitted her with some protective Dbrand...loved the look of wooden tech from the movie with Robini Williams in it "Cutter"

https://goo.gl/photos/4SBfvc3xdaJDVGec7

:)

gogo

Why is the top from wood? I would make the underside of a removable keyboard from pine wood. In the tradition of the dark kitchen. This way I could use it for cutting in the kitchen or at a BBQ while the recipe is on the screen. But as always, most designers ignore multi usage possibilties of a laptop, ;)

But else, a cutie

• Like! 1

Why is the top from wood? I would make the underside of a removable keyboard from pine wood. In the tradition of the dark kitchen. This way I could use it for cutting in the kitchen or at a BBQ while the recipe is on the screen. But as always, most designers ignore multi usage possibilties of a laptop, ;)

But else, a cutie

Thanks Chattius... I LOVE the wood..its actually just a very high quality TEXTURED sticker... made by 3m... it's a company called DBrand... usually apple folks who skin their laptops, but I decided to splurge... cost 57 CAD for both the top and bottom, and you need a hair dryer and lots and LOTS of patience to apply

How to put the DBrand on

gogo

Congrats.

I have the same laptop (sans the wood :D). I love the touch pad. It's the first laptop I don't feel the need for an external pointing device.

• Like! 1

I still use my wireless trackball on all my computers. I am too used to it: at presentations, I press it at my body and move the mouse. in a train it rests a bit above the knee.

About the sticker: law says that a fire proof steel door is needed to close the room with the diesel power generator. So I used as you said a hair dryer and a BIG sheet of oak look to camouflage the door so it fits to the rest of the wooden patchwork house ;)

• Like! 1

I still use my wireless trackball on all my computers. I am too used to it: at presentations, I press it at my body and move the mouse. in a train it rests a bit above the knee.

About the sticker: law says that a fire proof steel door is needed to close the room with the diesel power generator. So I used as you said a hair dryer and a BIG sheet of oak look to camouflage the door so it fits to the rest of the wooden patchwork house ;)

I was using my cousins computer for a while, and he only had a trackball with it... must say I fell in love...never realized how used to it I couuld get... eventually it got replaced with a mouse... he went and got another track ball, but ive been a pure mouse user to the very end... ha, till now

gogo

Congrats.

I have the same laptop (sans the wood :D). I love the touch pad. It's the first laptop I don't feel the need for an external pointing device.

helloooooooo laptop bro!

Y

I heard you on the track pad..its just amazing.. schot offered me to use his blue tooth mouse...but told myself im gonna run it mouse free for a month to see how I get used to it...

I'm in love with Windows gestures!!! the three finger swipe to right or left is outstanding... love how it instantly drops to all apps being used and you can choose instantly...and this keyboard is like a spammer's honey pot...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

which configuration did you get Lujate? And why a Dell over a Mac?

gogo

Dell XPS 9350-1340SLV 13.3 Inch

Intel Core i5

8 GB RAM

128 GB SSD

I never considered a Mac. I've been a Linux user since 2003, so my SOP is to buy a Windows machine and immediately reformat.

• Like! 1

Congratulations gogo! There's nothing like finally getting exactly what you want. Sweet looking machine. :)

I had a notebook some years ago but it wasn't really designed for portability the way machines are now. It had a 17" display and was a lot heavier than my iPad Pro is now. Most of the weight was in the battery. The screen finally died and I just never bothered to get it repaired. :(

• Like! 1

Intel Core i5

8 GB RAM

128 GB SSD

I never considered a Mac. I've been a Linux user since 2003, so my SOP is to buy a Windows machine and immediately reformat.

you took off the windows 10 that came with it and put in linux?

doyou get faster speed, that why you go to linux?

gogo

Just think of all those poor abandoned mouses! Shame on you, you cruel abandoner of helpless animals!

:4rofl:

and even still after much pracrtice...I still love those mousies... no worry about them being abandoned

:D

gogo

Intel Core i5

8 GB RAM

128 GB SSD

you took off the windows 10 that came with it and put in linux?

doyou get faster speed, that why you go to linux?

gogo

I can't say whether Linux is faster.

It all started with a bad Windows update, which caused me to look around for alternatives. Linux appealed to my geek nature, and I really liked the idea of F.O.S.S. (free and open source software).

• Like! 1

I can't say whether Linux is faster.

It all started with a bad Windows update, which caused me to look around for alternatives. Linux appealed to my geek nature, and I really liked the idea of F.O.S.S. (free and open source software).

I also like the idea of Linux but find I have more important things to do now than fight to support an OS. If you have been using it constantly for years, that may work well for you but I have only used it intermittently, so it's not quite so convenient for me. :(

Some days I seriously consider whether or not I might migrate to Linux anyway ...

• Like! 1

I don't know, many Linux distros are incredibly user friendly these days. And most have bootable CD images so you can "try before you buy".

Of course for PC gaming, save yourself the hassle and stick with Windows.

• Like! 1

I don't know, many Linux distros are incredibly user friendly these days. And most have bootable CD images so you can "try before you buy".

Of course for PC gaming, save yourself the hassle and stick with Windows.

and, muhahha... ever more the questions..

I was looking at getting another power cord for my comp to carry abound with me with the laptop when im mobile... what do you think about using the usb c or thunder port as wires to power up the laptop... is this a decent solution?

Im thinking if I make my secondary charging wire a usb c I can then use it for both data and energy

are you using only one cord or do you have a second?

gogo

is your computer partitioned...linux and windows both on the xps 13?

gogo

Nope, all Linux.

Keeping a Windows partition is a good security blanket if you have the disk space. Myself, I went all-in.

I saw an add for a converter that would allow you to use the SD adapter on your laptop as an extra hard drive. For whatever it's worth, here's the link:

http://try.baseqi.com/promo2/

I haven't tried this out, so try at your own risk, but it looks interesting.

gogo, I always just carry my real charger if I need one, so I have no experience will those other options. My first question would be, why not just get a second regular charger?

gogo, I always just carry my real charger if I need one, so I have no experience will those other options. My first question would be, why not just get a second regular charger?

A second regular charger would be heavier than a USB cable as well as being bulkier.

My question is, if the USB cable option actually works, why not just use that all the time?

• Like! 1

Just loving this... and I remember looking closely at Apple cuz I wanted my first lapy to be "premium" ...but nothing even at lap top has as much excitment for me as this touch screened, almost no bezel less wonder inspires

gogo

I can dig the excitement, especially the love of something new.

My computer died recently (motherboard got fried) so I took the opportunity to upgrade to a mini-itx solution which is much smaller than the giant box I had previously (easily half the footprint or less), but still will fit a full sized graphics card. I could have gone smaller, but was limited by my current graphics card so if in future I replace it I may go even smaller in case size.

• Like! 1