The Related Word Game - 2017!

spring -> tuba puppet

'Puppet on a String' by Sandy Shaw is a song which my grandpa played on a tuba. Grandpa said it is a rock n roll polka. Was a song for my mom (vocals and tamborine), dad (accordeon), I was just old enough to have enough breath for french horns, older sister was already at school and played sax (before Sally Simpson), younger siblings tonewoods, ...

Was when we lived near a US garnison and my brother had birthday. Grandpa took this song so that the american neighbours could understand, play and sing it. That's how I learned English, never had it at school.

Sandy Shaw was winning the 1967 European Song Contest with it.

• Like! 1

puppet ->  tuba

soooo tubas hit my radar just when you started posting bout them in your family Chattius after hearing this amazing new group scoring the music for a tricky series about a place that *kills* you to start u up again on your new life...but what happens if they dont kill you properly the first time? 

love it when songs change their beat and rhythm, rare and appreciated

:music:

gogo

spear fishing -> Saufeder

English Wiki

A boar spear is a spear used for boar hunting. It is relatively short and heavy and has two "lugs" or "wings" on the spearsocket behind the blade, which act as a barrier to prevent the spear from penetrating too deeply into the quarry where it might get stuck or break, and to stop an injured and furious boar from working its way up the shaft of the spear to attack the hunter.

In 4 of 5 cases I use it for boars injured by cars. I have some (car, bike, hunting backpack). The main use is when you can't shoot because

the boar is injured at a car crash and there are people/cars around

an injured boar was fleeing to populated places

the dogs surround an injured boar and shooting is a risk to them, be it the bullet or the noise of the shoot to their ears

Modern ones are made foldable, from carbon and multifunctional: walking stick, gun rest, without the shaft a hunting knife, can attach a saw/spade instead the blade to make a clear way for shooting, ...

I dislike hunting with them. For me it is only if better ways are not possible.

p2011095_ha_v1.jpg&width=1000&height=100

• Like! 1
7 hours ago, chattius said:

spear fishing -> Saufeder

In 4 of 5 cases I use it for boars injured by cars. I have some (car, bike, hunting backpack). The main use is when you can't shoot because

the boar is injured at a car crash and there are people/cars around

an injured boar was fleeing to populated places

the dogs surround an injured boar and shooting is a risk to them, be it the bullet or the noise of the shoot to their ears

Modern ones are made foldable, from carbon and multifunctional: walking stick, gun rest, without the shaft a hunting knife, can attach a saw/spade instead the blade to make a clear way for shooting, ...

I dislike hunting with them. For me it is only if better ways are not possible.

p2011095_ha_v1.jpg&width=1000&height=100

Id actually seen a few videos of families spearfishing, and it was odd to all of a sudden have experience of it up so close at hand.  Would not be my thing, but i had appreciation for the web of life. 

saufeder -> stir fried

ate a ton of fish while on vacay... new to me but here to stay.. king fish for starters!

IMG_0228.jpg

Wok  -> hei

LOVE that word!

Wok hei is a Cantonese phrase used to describe a particular essence and aroma that is created in a dish when authentic stir-frying is performed. “Hay” means “energy” or “breath”; therefore, “wok hay” means “the energy or breath of a wok”.

u need LOADS of high heat and immense skills...the air above the wok becomes suffused with high energy oil particles and breathes the cook into the food while its tossed...

magic

:schot:

gogo

hei -> mathematics

If using a pan: some people use an app to calculate how big the different pieces of the meal have to be so that they are done the same moment.

If using a wok: good eyes and belly feeling for moving pieces to different heights.

However if I can choose: I am best with a Gulaschkanone. Mainly soups taste way better if done in great amounts and not for a single household. 5 kids with husband/friends, grand kids, wife, au pair, me.... at 'full house' the Gulaschkanone is an option, Woks and pans are too small in amount and BBQ too dependant on weather and some poor guy has to stay at the grill.

What is the German “Gulaschkanone” (Goulashcannon)?

The Gulaschkanone is put together by two German words. “Gulasch” (goulash) and Kanone “cannon”. The name derived from the device looking similar to a piece of artillery machinery.  A Goulashkanone is a mobile stove for the military field kitchen. It was invented during the first world war and used to be pulled by horses to front lines or feed civilians during wartime. This provided warm meals on the go.

Not only goulash was served in the “Goulashcannon”, but also Pea Soup or Potato Soup. The gulaschkanone is still in use today. Today the Red Cross or Fire brigade have a modern version to enable to feed people in need. You can also buy them on amazon.de for personal use,

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

hei -> mathematics

If using a pan: some people use an app to calculate how big the different pieces of the meal have to be so that they are done the same moment.

If using a wok: good eyes and belly feeling for moving pieces to different heights.

However if I can choose: I am best with a Gulaschkanone. Mainly soups taste way better if done in great amounts and not for a single household. 5 kids with husband/friends, grand kids, wife, au pair, me.... at 'full house' the Gulaschkanone is an option, Woks and pans are too small in amount and BBQ too dependant on weather and some poor guy has to stay at the grill.

mathematics -  paper

lol Chattius, check out this paper on the math of Wok hei

The physics of tossing fried rice: 

https://royalsocietypublishing.org/doi/10.1098/rsif.2019.0622

seriously??

i did read parts of it however...makes me think that fresh wok style stir fry will eventually be *vended* ... everything else is right

:)

gogo

paper => planes

When I was in 8th grade I was very proficient at making paper planes. So much so, that one day I stood in the square courtyard between the classrooms, the cafeteria, and the administration building where there was a gentle breeze. I gently yet furtively threw the small plane with the wind and it began to slowly climb. Catching a wide spiral of upward moving air, the plane was lifted higher and higher as it continued to rise in the upward spiraling clockwise vortex of air. It was drawn up to such a distance that it eventually went out of visual range. I had achieved the ultimate goal of any young, aspiring paper plane aviator. I had witnessed "endless flight." No one else seemed to have noticed this lunchtime event. Yet, that troubled me not. I had seen what I knew was a miracle; I had created a magical moment in time. One that I shall never forget.

:crazy_pilot:

• zomgod! 1
2 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

paper => planes

When I was in 8th grade I was very proficient at making paper planes. So much so, that one day I stood in the square courtyard between the classrooms, the cafeteria and the administration building where there was a gentle breeze. I threw the small plane with the wind and it began to slowly climb, catching a wide spiral of upward climbing air. The plane climbed higher and higher as it continued to rise in the upward spiraling clockwise vortex of air. It was drawn up to such a distance that it eventually went out of visual range. I had achieved the ultimate goal of any your aspiring paper plane aviator, which is endless flight. No one else seemed to notice, yet that troubled me not. I had seen what I felt was a miracle. I had created a magical moment in time. One that I shall never forget.

:crazy_pilot:

epic aviator... u have reached the zeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenith!

i was horrible at folding airplanes and still am... origami is like another dimension to me... thank goodness I have you in my life for these ephemeral beauties

planes -> present

:sigh:

gogo