The Related Word Game - 2017!

25 minutes ago, chattius said:

Photon torpedos -> Artemis

The physical department of my university was working on ion engines for decades. Math department was helping with software, some of the plasma maths I still use for work. It was one of the biggest parties for us math nerds when the experimental half an horsepower gridded ion thruster rescued the satellite needing half a year do bring it to final orbit. The engine was never planed for orbit lifting, just for small correction of position.

The new moon project of NASA is called Artemis too, and guess what, they will use ion thrusters.

1920px-Artemis_Phase_1.jpg

artemis  -. goddess of grass

:D

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Society -> Bistro

There is a nice eatery in Cape Town called Society Bistro. Been there 3 times and the food has always been good and the service always great.

Bistro -> Biergarten

Wiki foto: Some bistros with a Biergarten in front of them. Place is Kornmarkt at the 50000 people town of Wetzlar/Germany where my moms family lived. There is a road leaving the place at the right side of the foto, one house further in that direction was where we lived. I spend the first 5 years of my life there. Then we moved with my dad when he was installing turbines at powerplants at more distant places for longer times.

Guess my love for wooden patchwork houses started here and so I quickly said yes when the wooden house of my grandpa from my father's side was empty, mid in a forest and not a town

800px-Kornmarkt_Wetzlar_2.jpg

And now my own picture when our second had to collect all of the optical experiments spread in the town for school. So you can see the experiment and not the biergartens .With good eyes you can see the Leica factory in the background below the forest hill

kornmarkt.JPG

• zomgod! 1

Beer -> housewife

If you walk nearby villages you will notice small signs at the houses with historical house names. Often it are old family or job names. There are a lot signs which indicate that there was a little brewery in the house, run by the housewife. Our house was slang named 'Foschthoff': Foscht for Forst/forest and hoff for a Hof, a smallholding.

The sign below indicates that this was a house where people (mainly women) from the commune could brew their own Bier.

P9090124.jpg

• Like! 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

Wilma Flintstone -> Dino

Dino_from_%22The_Flintstones%22.gif

But if you ask my wife about Dino it is a Ferrari Dino which runs in same vintage car category at races than her Corrado.

800px-Paris_-_Bonhams_2013_-_Ferrari_Din

Dino - > dinosaur

😄

gogo

dinosaur -> Hornissenraubfliege, the hornet-robberfly

I don't think that I may run into a dinosaur. But I saw the first of these robber flies (Raubfliege) which look like a hornet (Hornisse) for years. Two not four wings like a wasp, shorter antenna, no sting, but when they bite a toxin gets in the wound.

Robberflies are nowadays top league for research: the just recently discovered very very potent toxin for pharmacy, their eyes react as quick as the ones from dragonflies but are better optimized: sensor research, they are flight acrobats with just two wings, makes them interesting for flying robots,...

They hunt wasps, hornets, bees, crickets,.. and they  are just flies.

Wonder when Hollywood will do a new film with Jeff Goldblum 'The Fly III' and a robber fly gets mixed with him.

Wonder how long the photographer waited for this shot.

28novom24.jpg

• Haha 1

MMMMMM 6000 MMMMMM 6000 MMMMMM

This is my 6000th post

Luckily a biology student was seeing the robberfly too, hunting a dung beetle at our horse paddock in a forest clearing. Very interesting the animals with the most potent poison in Germany are flies.

Jeepers Creepers -> horse

A song about the beautiful eyes of a horse used in the movie when the monster put the eyes of the dead boy in the hull... My dad played it at a kids birthday when my youngest sister got a selfmade wooden rocking horse with long weepers. But none of us kids had english classes, was for some friends from neighbour houses. We lived close to a US garnison then. Four of them were members of a marching band.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, chattius said:

MMMMMM 6000 MMMMMM 6000 MMMMMM

This is my 6000th post

Luckily a biology student was seeing the robberfly too, hunting a dung beetle at our horse paddock in a forest clearing. Very interesting the animals with the most potent poison in Germany are flies.

Jeepers Creepers -> horse

A song about the beautiful eyes of a horse used in the movie when the monster put the eyes of the dead boy in the hull... My dad played it at a kids birthday when my youngest sister got a selfmade wooden rocking horse with long weepers. But none of us kids had english classes, was for some friends from neighbour houses. We lived close to a US garnison then. Four of them were members of a marching band.

I saw that movie!

Quite pleasant and unsettling ending...  :cry:

horse  -> flies

:JC-tumbleweed:

gogo

flies -> Mantisfly

The mantisfly isn't a fly because it has two pair of wings. But it is so interesting. It wasn't natural to our area because it likes warmer weather. However the biology students  in the camp in our forest found amantisfly from the austrian type. Must be the global warming and warm winds from the south in summer. They don't know if they reproduce at our place.

• zomgod! 1

endothermic ->Magdalena

One of the experiments I remember from school was that dissolving baking soda in citric acid is an endothermic process. Rubbed citrones scales and baking soda is used when baking Magdalenas (spanish madeleines).

magdalenas.jpg

• Like! 1