The Related Word Game - 2017!

Cathedral -> Wetzlarer Dom

We lived some time as kids in mom's house which is just 7 houses away from the cathedral. Wetzlar was place of the Reichskammergericht the main court of the holy roman empire of german nation. It was made a free town not belonging to one of the many kingdoma because it had to be neutral. Same with religions, all shared the Dom and a common graveyard. So it never become a bishop seat even it was planed for one when the building started.

After 800 years the second tower is still not finished and it is a test of students in architecture to name all the styles of the parts build in the 800 years-

csm_shutterstock_1464774047_3ed2a6f111.j

Dom Perignon -> Champagnerbratbirne

An old sort of pear (birne) which wasn't tasty but could be roasted (brat) and or used as a base for excellent sparkling fruit wine, sparkling or not. We have two old trees. The name was used way before champagner was a protected name. The trees are older than WW1 when France forced Germany to give up all Champagner connected names. So this pear sparkling wine has to be named C-Pear Sparkling wine at export.

Did you know that modern champagne was created when the german wine master Anton Müller was hired by a french champagne maker to show them the Rütteln technique? It is called remuage in french and is used to remove particles from the champagne.

champagner-bratbirne-brand-thomas-sippel

And the C instead champagne

Birnenschaumwein-aus-der-Champagner-Brat

• Like! 1

Champagnerbratbirne -> Sparkling Wine

One of the restaurants I have worked at was on Simonsig Wine farm, the First wine farm in South Africa to produce MCC (Methode Cap Clasique), they named it Kaapse Vonkel, translating to "Cape Sparkle"

image.thumb.png.afeda27f0d65290a9df5623356d41b28.png

image.thumb.png.f19c1d4cf78a7b71b313fe7c2a55d3ce.png

image.png.5c5dd8f7fbe039e2743689af89b1559c.png

https://www.simonsig.co.za/kaapse-vonkel-turns-50/

It is still my favourite wine farm to visit and buy wine from

• Like! 1
15 minutes ago, Delta! said:

Champagnerbratbirne -> Sparkling Wine

One of the restaurants I have worked at was on Simonsig Wine farm, the First wine farm in South Africa to produce MCC (Methode Cap Clasique), they named it Kaapse Vonkel, translating to "Cape Sparkle"

image.thumb.png.afeda27f0d65290a9df5623356d41b28.png

image.thumb.png.f19c1d4cf78a7b71b313fe7c2a55d3ce.png

image.png.5c5dd8f7fbe039e2743689af89b1559c.png

https://www.simonsig.co.za/kaapse-vonkel-turns-50/

It is still my favourite wine farm to visit and buy wine from

5 hours ago, chattius said:

Dom Perignon -> Champagnerbratbirne

An old sort of pear (birne) which wasn't tasty but could be roasted (brat) and or used as a base for excellent sparkling fruit wine, sparkling or not. We have two old trees. The name was used way before champagner was a protected name. The trees are older than WW1 when France forced Germany to give up all Champagner connected names. So this pear sparkling wine has to be named C-Pear Sparkling wine at export.

Did you know that modern champagne was created when the german wine master Anton Müller was hired by a french champagne maker to show them the Rütteln technique? It is called remuage in french and is used to remove particles from the champagne.

champagner-bratbirne-brand-thomas-sippel

And the C instead champagne

Birnenschaumwein-aus-der-Champagner-Brat

Guys you both got me stoked to get something lovely... we have a family lunch this Monday coming up to celebrate thanksgiving and I've been watching Downton Abbey lately...too much too quickly in fact :lol: and I saw them make mention of something called *pudding wine* :D ... sounded too good, so I did some research and came up with something called sauternes or desert wines? I'm gonna head down to the SAQ (our name for Quebec Alcohol stores)  and see what I can get will share it tonight when I get it 

Sparkling  -> Pudding Wines

:drunkards:

gogo

4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

It it whats referred to as ice wine here? I think they are grown in Ontario

Gewürztraminer -> ice wine

:)

gogo

ice wine -> Schlehenfeuer

Gewürztraminer is a certain species of grapes growing in colder climate, Ice wine however is any wine made from frozen grapes - at least here. The grapes are harvested at frost when the grapes contain less water and more sugar. Waiting for frost is a risky business at global warming.  If it is not coming just for the right amount - the grapes are lost.

trauben-eiswein.jpg

Schlehenfeuer is a liqeur from cold harvested sloes.

portfolio_04.jpg

• zomgod! 1

honey ->Honigtauhonig/honeydew-honey

The article is worth reading

I have beehives. In a forest are few blossoms but many honeydew insects or sirup in tree wounds made by woodpeckers. So the honey has a way different taste. It is often sold as Waldhonig (forest honey) here. Mine would be classified as Eichenwaldhonig (oak forest honey). If I would sell itthat is. Most is given as birthday gifts or in exchange for selfmade products from others.

As my twins (they are the ones who care for the bees mainly) say: why is collected sshhiitt so tasty. Curse auto censoring ;)

Honey-Bee-Collecting-Honeydew-From-Black

Nelson-Honey-Honeydew-Honey-scaled-e1627

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

honey ->Honigtauhonig/honeydew-honey

The article is worth reading

I have beehives. In a forest are few blossoms but many honeydew insects or sirup in tree wounds made by woodpeckers. So the honey has a way different taste. It is often sold as Waldhonig (forest honey) here. Mine would be classified as Eichenwaldhonig (oak forest honey). If I would sell itthat is. Most is given as birthday gifts or in exchange for selfmade products from others.

As my twins (they are the ones who care for the bees mainly) say: why is collected sshhiitt so tasty. Curse auto censoring ;)

Honey-Bee-Collecting-Honeydew-From-Black

Nelson-Honey-Honeydew-Honey-scaled-e1627

onigtauhonig/honeydew-honey -> wildflower 

Ive a passion for wildflower honey ever since my cuz's wife got those hives.. life is ...sweet

This is Schot and my cuz's wife Kandy hanging with the hives...she finds their hum, soothing

:drool:

gogIMG_2138.jpgo

On 10/8/2022 at 5:46 PM, chattius said:

pudding wine -> Gewürztraminer

The rapes even grow in some vineyards in Canada

img_9526.jpg

On 10/8/2022 at 6:25 PM, gogoblender said:

It it whats referred to as ice wine here? I think they are grown in Ontario

Gewürztraminer -> ice wine

:)

gogo

Simonsig also has a delicious Gewürztraminer that I have a few bottles of.

Wildflower -> Fynbos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fynbos

I'd rather just link the Wikipedia page than try to describe it, but Fynbos honey is a thing in the Western Cape. we use Wildflower Honey at work. it is pretty darn good!

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, Hooyaah said:

Fynbos => antioxidants

antioxidants -> Berries

@Delta! and @chattius

I was reading what you guys linked about deelish desert wines...Canadian Ice Wine is SO EXPENSIVE because its harvested last minute when the grapes are frozen... :oooo: 

53 75 

image.png

• Like! 1

I think I have figured out what to do here and I will give it a go. Please forgive me if I get it wrong. It's my 1st try at this game.

Booster -> Jet Fuel

Did I do it right?

Edited by SheHawk
13 minutes ago, SheHawk said:

I think I have figured out what to do here and I will give it a go. Please forgive me if I get it wrong. It's my 1st try at this game.

Booster -> Jet Fuel

Did I do it right?

Yes

Jet fuel -> Flugfeldlöschfahrzeug / airport crash tender

When at naval flying wing we weren't allowed to remove our protection gear even a fire would be extinguised. The fuel which may be in air as a spray is very dangerous to health when inhaled. Got my driving license for trucks on a 6 wheel driven beast which could reach 100km/h from stand in 45 seconds with a water/chemical mix of 6 tons.

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

Yes

Jet fuel -> Flugfeldlöschfahrzeug / airport crash tender

When at naval flying wing we weren't allowed to remove our protection gear even a fire would be extinguised. The fuel which may be in air as a spray is very dangerous to health when inhaled. Got my driving license for trucks on a 6 wheel driven beast which could reach 100km/h from stand in 45 seconds with a water/chemical mix of 6 tons.

Cool and thank you Chattius

Edited by SheHawk