The Related Word Game - 2017!

paella -> pilaf

I do a very regional spring variant:

Grünkern (smoke dried unripe grain from spelt) instead rice, bear garlic instead garlic, dried mushrooms from late autumn, very thin slices of roasted deer, thistle oil, Quark,some berries from forest, a nomato (no tomatoes) sauce with local stuff to get the typical slightly red colour,...

We got so used to Grünkern so we take it in nearly all recipes which have normally rice. Luckily I can buy it in 10 pound bags. Grünkern is way better than rice if a visitor has diabetes. A nearby farmer has spelt and I asked him to get some this year for trying to make our own village Grünkern in the remaining heat of the baking house. A 91 year old remembers how it was done. So we will have a Grünkern-day in our village.

I did some vegs in our new indoor garden so I may experiment a bit.

gruenkernpilaw.jpg

• Appreciation 1

steak -> deer

I know that the americans are proud of their steaks. But the word is from nordic german and just means roasted (on a pole). So a lot of animals qualify for the word steak. My family does mainly steaks from deer, easier access for me than good cattle steaks.  :connie_xmas-moose:

Often it has to be wrapped with bacon stripes if it is too dry. And then the old wild game rules: serve with what the game was eating: juniper, mushrooms, ...

rosa-hirschsteak-mit-pilzen-rezept-img-8

• Appreciation 1
1 hour ago, chattius said:

steak -> deer

I know that the americans are proud of their steaks. But the word is from nordic german and just means roasted (on a pole). So a lot of animals qualify for the word steak. My family does mainly steaks from deer, easier access for me than good cattle steaks.  :connie_xmas-moose:

Often it has to be wrapped with bacon stripes if it is too dry. And then the old wild game rules: serve with what the game was eating: juniper, mushrooms, ...

rosa-hirschsteak-mit-pilzen-rezept-img-8

pic loox good

but not such a huge fan of non-boring beef :lol: My parents fed me tons of goat at as a kid and I think this is what got me scared of game

deer -> dear

:)

gogo

• Appreciation 1
2 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

dear => mother :wub:

I just spoke on the phone with my own mother yesterday and told her that I love her (and that I am enjoying that Texas pecan-flavored coffee she gave me at Christmas. :heart:

You just gotta love mom. Right?

:agreed:

Oh boy Don’t we ever!!

moms -> the best!
🙏

gogo

• Appreciation 1
On 1/8/2023 at 1:52 PM, chattius said:

McDonalds -> X-Mas Market

There was a food truck selling Waffelpommes (translate as waffle pommes frites) with a sweet softcheese/strawberry dip to look like ketchup(majonaise. But it are sweet waffles made to look like fries:. Our waffle iron could be upgraded with these special waffle fries forms. Video looks so easy to make.

Thered be no stopping me for that Chattius :D

X-Mas Market -> Time Market

cool mall here in MOntreal, was there last winter with Mommy when she was here in town

273020632_10165957283775142_7949331224074656187_n.jpg

• Appreciation 1

80's -> cold war

Alphaville - Forever Young

Nena - 99 Luftballons

Living in the yet divided Germany in the 80's was a constant fear that the cold war would turn into a hot war and if going nuclear all the 'tactical' nuclear weapons would turn Germany in a desert. Most people forget that Forever Young tells about the fears of young people that they perhaps won't get old. Doing the lyrics version because the lyrics were whatwe feeled at that time.

Nena -> 99 Luftballons was brought into the USA by GI's returning from Germany. Only song who was number one in both the german and the later english version 99 Red Balloons I think.

But the 80's ended with The Scorpions and 'Wind of Change'. But winds have their own will, see the Russia-Ukraine 'conflict'.

• Appreciation 1