Diablo 2 Fallen Classes: The Sorceress

Flix

I remember playing Prince of Persia 2 on an old pc with low graphics, and once the game was running for a while the GPU would heat up and tilt leaving some random black textures. Since you're playing with graphics on low I assume you may be experiencing something similar perhaps?

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, Androdion said:

I remember playing Prince of Persia 2 on an old pc with low graphics, and once the game was running for a while the GPU would heat up and tilt leaving some random black textures. Since you're playing with graphics on low I assume you may be experiencing something similar perhaps?

Yes, but I also have run the game with maxed out graphics and got the same results, I'm thinking it must be a graphics card problem unfortunately, this pc is quite old after all.

18 minutes ago, Androdion said:

Yeah, that was my point. Maybe try running some GPU testing utilities to see if temperatures and/or voltages are normal? Sometimes the thermal paste on the GPU just gets old and it can cause similar issues.

Temperature and voltage seems normal, I've recently changed the thermal paste so it´s not a problem related to overheat.

16 hours ago, Androdion said:

Is this the only game where you're having issues? If it is then maybe something's off with the install?! I'm just brainstorming here.

No, on rare occasions I've had a couple of minor glitches like these in other games, so yeah it is most likely related to this pc's graphics card being outdated.

I'll try running the mod on my other pc, it'll most likely work fine.

Thanks for replying!

• 1 year later...

The Sorceress looks amazing. I'm about to give her a try, and I need a little build advice. I have eleven skills I want, so I need to figure out which to drop.

Main CAs:

Fire Bolt  -- groups, main spell (maybe ice bolt for sniping?)

Glacial Spike/Blizzard -- bosses

Warmth/Shiver Armor -- buffs

Teleport -- utility

Skills (not in order):

Ice Focus

Ice Lore

Fire Focus

Fire Lore

Ancient Magic

Armor Lore

Constitution

Toughness

Lightning Focus

Magic Find

Candidates for removal (unless someone points me otherwise):  Toughness, Lightning Focus, Magic Find

I'm hoping to not need the Energy Shield (not to mention the lack of Energy Shield Lore skill), as I've always had a tough time maintaining and relying on absorb shields in games. Because of this, I'm not sure that I can lose any of Armor Lore, Constitution, or Toughness. I'm not planning to stay in melee combat, though, so perhaps Toughness can go?

Other candidates are Lightning Focus and Magic Find. Here are why I like them both:

Lightning Focus -- helps me to be able to spam teleport. Modded for Invis and both heals, that's 30% healing plus invis each time. Sounds great. Given the regen buffs elsewhere in the build, am I really going to need Focus to reduce it in order to spam it? Especially if I only read 1 rune? Will I miss the lack of the mods (healing and invis?)

Magic Find -- a ton of the fun of these games for me is the loot hunt. The promise of piles of uniques and great treasure all over the place is a hard thing to give up on.

I'd love for some voices of experience in Sorceress play to help steer me right :)

• Like! 1

For your build, I would ditch Lightning Focus. You won't be dipping into Lightning Spells enough to warrant it.  Toughness is a life saver and Magic Find is too tasty.  You can keep Teleport regen times low with the Fire Spells buff "Warmth."  Teleport may lose some of it's battle-flexibility and be more of a utility skill, but you shouldn't have survivability issues if you avoid getting mobbed and don't try to face tank.

That's just me anyway.  :wink:

• Thanks! 1

Thanks Flix. That's how I was leaning.  All right! Time to burn and freeze away!

By the way, I took the plunge on Diablo 2 Fallen due to the announcement of Diablo 2 Resurrected. Got into that good old Sanctuary mood.  The D2 music mod alone is wonderful, let alone the rest.  Thanks for your great work for the Sacred 2 community!

• Appreciation 1

Experimented a bit more. The character editor has been very useful, so I don't have to create a new character every time I want to switch up a mod or a skill choice.

I got a bit turned off by splitting my focus between fire and ice. I really liked what Fire Bold could do as a primary damage dealer against normal mobs, but I realized that the Lore skills was where the main damage boosts came from -- at least during the early build stages. (I know, I'm new at this ;) ) . I needed to keep more skills at level than I had room for, so I started exploring a single aspect build.

Either Fire, or Ice.  I ended up choosing Ice, because there was a higher volume of "ooh, I want that" on the Ice side -- though it was a tough call. For inspiration, I've been consulting Gogoblender's High Damage Ice Elf build for vanilla, and adapting it for D2 Fallen. I'm pretty impressed so far, though it's still quite early (level 13! :O )  I've really been needing a good, solid, Area of Effect build, and this Sorceress is right on the money. I know there are other classes that have good Area of Effect, but I go for female characters. If I'm going to be spending 150 levels with a character, I'd rather it be a good lookin' lady ;)

Probably a wise course.  You can still dip into Fire Spells for free because Warmth basically has no regen upkeep.  That could even free up one of the Fire Spells aspect skills (maybe ditch Focus).

I assume Concentration took Lightning Focus's place, since I didn't see it on your original list.  What replaced Fire Focus? Spell Resistance maybe? Or Combat Discipline for the global +20% CA damage?

Here's what I came up with.

2 Cold Focus 20
3 Concentration 1
5 Cold Lore 75 1st
8 Fire lore 75 6th
12 Magic Find 75 3rd
18 Armor Lore 75 4th
25 Combat Discipline 75 7th
35 Constitution 75 2nd
50 Ancient Magic 75 5th
65 Spell Resist 75 8th

It's largely based off of GoGo's Ice HE, with a couple changes. I'm nervous about the lack of Toughness, but we'll see how it goes. His build includes Fire Focus, which I replaced with Magic Find. I just made level 22, and just arrived in the Elven capitol. I'm doing a few quests here and there, but mostly pushing through to finish the Normal campaign.

I'm surprised by how well she takes being surrounded and pounded on in melee.  Elites change that, but regular mobs tend to not make much of a dent. Her physical armor -- being a sorceress -- is pretty light. I'm guessing the in-combat regen from Warmth is helping. If I need to drop something for Toughness, I think Spell Resist or Combat Discipline will be my top candidates.

Toughness would be a better choice than Spell Resistance here. It protects against both spell and melee damage alike has a good synergy with Armor Lore. You won't find Toughness on any High Elf builds because it's not a skill that's available to the High Elf.

But, nor do I think you're necessarily a sitting duck without it.

• Thanks! 1

Got it. Now, for what order to go for Mastery...

I've read that you should try to have 3 skills hit mastery right at level 75, and a fourth by level 80.  After that, just work on a particular skill in a given order until it hits 75.

Here's what I'm thinking in terms of Mastery order:

First 3: Cold Lore, Toughness, Constitution (heard great things about the in-combat regen)

4th, Magic Find (I had this in the first 3 originally, but conceded to have it fourth.  I want this to be high on the priority list.)

5th, Armor Lore

6th, Ancient Magic

7th, Fire Lore (for all the boosts to in-combat regen from Warmth, adding to Constitution)

8th, Combat Discipline

All skills except Concentration are given 20 hard points to get to the point of diminishing returns as soon as possible after acquisition. After that, they await their turn in the Mastery stack (except Cold Focus, which remains at 20).

Does that order look good?  Will I miss waiting on Ancient Magic Mastery so late?  Thanks for all your help so far!

Yeah that looks pretty good. I'm kind of loosey-goosey when it comes to order of mastery.  Generally I first go for those skills that provide something unique upon mastery, such as Concentration granting a third buff slot, or Combat Discipline allowing for 4-CA combos.

Absent circumstances like those, just use your sense of what skills are providing the most value to you, and you will do just fine.

Sounds great. Playing right now. I just made level 40, and am on my way to Doc Ock Galopagos. I'm glad to finally find a build that works for me! The Sacred 2 systems have enough unique oddities that I've had trouble figuring them out. I think part of the key was getting a good Area of Effect thing going. Queen of Blades seraphim (Pally) is certainly sturdy and capable, but I got bored of cutting down the hordes one at a time -- even if it was through Pelting or Zeal combos. Sorceress has true Area of Effect, and the in-combat regen from Warmth provides a startling amount of survivability.

Also, now that I've experienced Teleport, I don't think I can go back to the before-times. That skill is so dang useful. With all the blind gulleys, mountainsides, and twisting city alleys in Sacred 2, being able to just slipstream my way through it all is fantastic. In the human capitol, I found myself going inside a house just so I could get a visual on the street behind it, then teleporting to that street -- avoiding the long walk out of a cul-de-sac. :D

Finished the normal campaign, at level 61. Heh, that was with trying to beeline toward finishing the campaign. The Sorceress is very fun to play. The Ice build is very very powerful, and the benefits from Warmth and Shiver Armor stacking are tremendous. Malthael, Baal, and the Nameless Guardians were good fights -- challenging without being frustrating.

Looking forward to the next difficulty (named "Hard"? I was expecting "Nightmare"), where I'll actually go through and do every quest I can find. There was lots of content I missed out on in the traditional "rush through silver to get to gold", and I'm looking forward to it. You did a good job of making questing feel rewarding with those periodic 2-3 set pieces dropping as quest rewards :D

• Thanks! 1
5 hours ago, lightbringer32 said:

"Hard"? I was expecting "Nightmare"

A consequence of Sacred 2 having five difficulty levels while the original D2 only had three. I had to invent two more levels to pad the lineup, thus "Easy" and "Hard" are now in the mix.

• Easy
  • Normal
  • Hard
  • Nightmare
  • Hell
On 2/26/2021 at 8:29 PM, lightbringer32 said:

Experimented a bit more. The character editor has been very useful, so I don't have to create a new character every time I want to switch up a mod or a skill choice.

I got a bit turned off by splitting my focus between fire and ice. I really liked what Fire Bold could do as a primary damage dealer against normal mobs, but I realized that the Lore skills was where the main damage boosts came from -- at least during the early build stages. (I know, I'm new at this ;) ) . I needed to keep more skills at level than I had room for, so I started exploring a single aspect build.

Either Fire, or Ice.  I ended up choosing Ice, because there was a higher volume of "ooh, I want that" on the Ice side -- though it was a tough call. For inspiration, I've been consulting Gogoblender's High Damage Ice Elf build for vanilla, and adapting it for D2 Fallen. I'm pretty impressed so far, though it's still quite early (level 13! :O )  I've really been needing a good, solid, Area of Effect build, and this Sorceress is right on the money. I know there are other classes that have good Area of Effect, but I go for female characters. If I'm going to be spending 150 levels with a character, I'd rather it be a good lookin' lady ;)

Hi, can you  post link to editor?

Kinda screwed up my character. Thanks!