What was in your boots today?

9 hours ago, chattius said:

Decembre the 5th at evening kids are placing their boots before the door. Saint Nikolaus will fill them with nuts, fruits and small presents. So at morning of Decembre the 6th kids are curious what he placed in their boots.

I am an old child and I placed my biggest boots too: 2 candles and a good bottle of wine was in...

An awesome tradition!!

I knew that threr'es  fantastic tradition for christmas cominng from Europe, always pleased to read what you and your family are doing during the festive times...

do bigger boots mean more bling?

:D

gogo

Well, if one of my kids was so smart to place riding boots, most of the filling will be oranges and walnuts ;)

It was not before Luther that presents were given at X-Mas. It was December the 6th when Saint Nicholaus (270-343ad)  died. He was rumoured to throw gifts through a window of people in needs. Luther didn't like the idea of honouring saints so it was moved to 24th, and the child of X-Mas became the gift bringer.

But the idea of Saint Nicholas never died, and from Dutch people it was brought to America, where its name changed to SANTA niChoLAUS and arrived at 24th and not 6th. And then Coca Cola decided to paint him red... But that's another story.

• Like! 1
18 hours ago, chattius said:

Well, if one of my kids was so smart to place riding boots, most of the filling will be oranges and walnuts ;)

It was not before Luther that presents were given at X-Mas. It was December the 6th when Saint Nicholaus (270-343ad)  died. He was rumoured to throw gifts through a window of people in needs. Luther didn't like the idea of honouring saints so it was moved to 24th, and the child of X-Mas became the gift bringer.

But the idea of Saint Nicholas never died, and from Dutch people it was brought to America, where its name changed to SANTA niChoLAUS and arrived at 24th and not 6th. And then Coca Cola decided to paint him red... But that's another story.

lol

careful chattius...

one day one of them may weave a huge and mighty boot!

:lol:

gogo

• 1 year later...

Top were some nuts, oranges, apples, then dried herbs and a small bottle of real good vinegar, and then a card with a free weekend for cooking classes at a 2 star restaurant.

Danke lieber Nikolaus

Saint Nicholas (Sankt Nikolaus) day again. hope you placed your boots and socks for the presents.

Saint Nicholas died 6 decembre in 4th century. He was a bishop from a rich family. He heard that a father with 3 daughters had no money to pay their marriages. Also that they would have to work as prostitutes to earn the marriage money. So he acted. Knowing that the family was too proud to accept money from him he climbed up the roof. He poured gold coins from his pouch down the chimney. It happened that the family placed boots and socks over the hot ash to dry them.

In the morning they went for their socks and boots and found the money in them...

Now add that Nikolaus is shortened to Klaus, Claus, Claas,... in germanic languages. And you get the wellknown story. But on decembre the 6th.

In Germany the Weihnachtsmann (Christmas man) is a total different person, He is wielding a rod and a sack and punishes the kids who didn't behave and gives gifts to ones who did. If a kid was real bad he put it in the sack and carried it away from its family. So I hope you all behaved and didn't forget to place your boots and socks.

advent_mann.jpg

• Appreciation 1