An ANNOYING glitch with Sacred gold steam version

Hay guys, my brother and I got sacred gold for steam not to long ago and we have encountered a weird glitch. When starting up the game, 9 times out of 10 the game will freeze when loading the fonts. We have more modern windows 10 laptops and we have no idea what causes this glitch. Also when loading the disc version on our old windows 7 laptops, the glitch has never happened. Any ideas?

-Whisky

It seems that many who are running (trying to run) Steam versions of Sacred 2 Gold are having some startup issues. I'm linking a thread below that helps (I hope) troubleshoot the problem of the game not loading. Please be sure to check the links to the topic in the Steam fora as well.

13 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

It seems that many who are running (trying to run) Steam versions of Sacred 2 Gold are having some startup issues. I'm linking a thread below that helps (I hope) troubleshoot the problem of the game not loading. Please be sure to check the links to the topic in the Steam fora as well.

thanks for the heads up about sacred 2 but I was referring to sacred 1 gold. Sacred 1 will start up and go though the dev screens and get to the loading bar screen but it will freeze 9/10 times when it states that it's loading fonts.

I used to have this issue occasionally with older cards. I have 4 solutions

- Restart PC and start it like that.
- Enter Config and enable 32bit. Disable video compability mode and disable "Windows compatibility" of any kind.
- Open config settings in MyDocuments folder or Sacred folder (where the saves are located) and edit Settings.cfg. Change the following if they are represented by zeroes :

FONTAA : 1
FONTFILTER : 1
FONTPAGES : 1
GFX : 1
LANGUAGE : US

- Reinstall the game altogether and check the Steam file integrity. Install the game strictly into C: partition. 

All of the above might or might not solve the issue. Of course one of the easiest solutions is to simply run the game in the Windowed mode. 
  • Thanks! 1
  • 1 month later...

Basically don't touch anything, while it starts up or it will freeze. Don't click on anything, don't minimize steam until you see the main screen. The Steam overlay will also freeze Sacred for the time it's displayed.

Edited by Thorium

You can patch it to unofficial 2.29, to get rid of the steam overlay freezes. You still need to set it to 32bit in config.exe to get it to not freeze on startup.

To patch the Steam version of Sacred Gold to 2.29, just extract the .exe from this zip into your Sacred folder and use it to start the game instead of starting it over Steam. Example path to the Sacred Gold installation: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sacred Gold"

• 3 weeks later...

There is an easy fix for this problem...go into your Program filesx86, steam folder, steam apps, common, Sacred gold, config, and change your color settings to 32 bit.  All should be fine after that.  I saw it posted here, but I figured I would post the path to get there.  It should be all you need to do.  I am running win10 64 bit pro, GTX1060, and ssd's in raid mirror.  Game starts so fast it goes straight to log-in.  Runs great for me, no issues other than game bugs which I am going to post a video of one that keeps happening to me.  Pretty comical!

• Thanks! 1

Downloading and installing the newest community patch has fixed that for me... so far. I have had a different problem than you guys, but also running it on Windows 10, and bought it on steam

• Like! 1
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

For anyone running Win10: You might run into issues ever since Microsoft added "Game Mode" in one of the yearly updates. It causes issues even with modern titles, it certainly does with many older titles. I found to continue playing Sacred or Sacred 2, I had to disable it by going to Compatibility Settings and checking the box for "Disable Fullscreen Optimizations".

• Appreciation 1