Emergency box for your refridgerator

7 hours ago, chattius said:

We had an open door day at volunteer fire-fighters and we managed that every single or two-person household in our very small village has an emergency box in their fridge.

The idea is that medics and fire-fighters don't have to search for medical data of an perhaps unconscious person. Persons with a box place a sticker at the back of their house-door, a sticker at the front of their fridge and have a box with all medical data in their fridge.

notfalldose-sos-kuehlschrank-72.jpg

Are their similar solutions at your place ?

Its a brilliant idea, Chattius... specially as the fridge is so well insulated against fire, etc? I'm looking for a container as we speak

:)

gogo

The most important reason for the fridge is that nearly everyone has one and that it is easy to find.

The german manufacturer site:

http://www.notfalldose.de/Notfalldose/

We supported it mainly because in our countryside area are a lot of houses with just 1-2 people above 70 because their children moved to towns because of work.

On 5/4/2018 at 0:19 AM, chattius said:

The most important reason for the fridge is that nearly everyone has one and that it is easy to find.

The german manufacturer site:

http://www.notfalldose.de/Notfalldose/

We supported it mainly because in our countryside area are a lot of houses with just 1-2 people above 70 because their children moved to towns because of work.

Also cheaper than buying a fire safe?

:)

gogo

The emergency box is mainly thought for medical emergencies, when no other person can tell the docs about the patient because they live alone. Storing medical data in a fire safe together with money and important documents? If it is a good safe, how long will it take to open it if none of the fire-fighters is an experienced bank robber? They won't have the time to try it if it is a heavy fire and if it quickly extinguished... They have to proof that they needed to open the safe.

Doing the box avoids a lot of legal trouble.

I have important documents at my bank safe and a notarized copy at another bank.

• 1 year later...

We are a test area for the next step:

An emergency box for the car. Even modern cars can automatically radio emergencies, not everyone has a modern car and in our region several areas are not covered by cellphones.

The emergency box would be installed at the headrest and a small yellow sticker at the front window as a backup. So who-ever is first at the crash scene can inform the shock team at a hospital with medical data for quicker response.

Our area has an emergency system where the dispatcher can ask a person at the szene to allow for installing an app. The app allows use of the gps position, the camera, gives first aid informations and now informs about the posibility of the box. All that in 7 languages.

The box would have a picture of the owner in case it is a different driver.

The fridge box was a help 4 times now in our district. Sounds not much, but since it is only used if people can't answer questions anymore amd the short duration of the test  we call that quite useful. So the car box is the next thing to be tried.

webrz-IMG_3492.jpg

• Like! 1

The idea isnt bad but the market gets flooded daily with tons of -useful- stuff. It leads often to the fact that parameds or firefighters own and carry kilograms of self bought gear to the place where the incident has occurred.

If we break things down, the industry has spotted some new customers and sells the latest cr!p to them.

You do not have to buy it. You can make such a box yourself. The price for a bought one is 5Euro. If you buy it - the win is given to firefighter or paramedics organizations.

State can't force you to place medical data at a certain place. So all is volunteer. But in case of an emergency when every second counts ...

And self bought gear: yes, quite normal at volunteer firefighters on countryside. But we don't buy useless stuff. I live mid in forest so I have my own water pumps, but they can be used at flooding down in the valley by other firefighters, I have a very big high duty chainsaw because the road to my house is often blocked by fallen trees, it is stored at the firefighter building and is more used than the official chainsaw paid by the district, our car mechanic says it saves time if he can use the same equipment at firefighter building as he uses at his job...

Our 'door opener' fire fighter is a smith and he uses his own selfmade firefighting axe made from damast steel. Double the weight of the official axe but he is a 198cm 110kg beast.

We are not paid, we risk our life, so we want at least best equipment. Even if we buy or make it ourself. Some years back the district didn't even pay the insurance for emergency events. I did my own insurance and it is still better than the official one. So I kept it.

If someone buys useless firefighting stuff it are these Home sapiens sapiens in town halls. It is expensive, it is new, so it must be good. Luckily the gene sequencer says that I have 1.1% neanderthaler in me. So I call me a homo sapiens robustus and leave the super super smart for the town people.

Speaking of the box shoved above, the idea might be good, but since we have dozens of aid organisations in Germany and all of them are rivals, hey it is about money, the idea wont spread. Because they watch each other jealously. IF the idea gets adapted, then only if the box carries the colors of the own team.

I know a guy who is a volunteer Firefighter and in the trunk of his car is a 5 litre oxygen bottle in an extra ergonomic handbag, including a backpack full of medical stuff. Lately he got himself a box of drugs from the parameds. Everything self bought, monthly enhancemend guaranteed. He bought own boots, throwsers, jacked, belt, t-shirt, helmet, everything top of the line and inflammable, owns an automated scanner which intercepts and records radio transmissions from the authority frequences.  I guess the difference is that some FFs havent seen much real action in the FF life, so buying the latest gear, showing it around, makes them feel good and important.

5 hours ago, Dax said:

Speaking of the box shoved above, the idea might be good, but since we have dozens of aid organisations in Germany and all of them are rivals, hey it is about money, the idea wont spread. Because they watch each other jealously. IF the idea gets adapted, then only if the box carries the colors of the own team. 

I guess the box is so cheap that there is no fight who's logo is on it. As I said: you can make even your own as long as it is clear that it is an emergency box. Doesn't matter who sells it: lion's club, red cross, red half moon, malteser, johanniter, .... The money is made with the transport to hospital or having people subscribe memberships in said aid organizations.

By having the people placing a box each of these aid organizations may win because of less lost time = higher probability that the transport survives.

5 hours ago, Dax said:

I know a guy who is a volunteer Firefighter and in the trunk of his car is a 5 litre oxygen bottle in an extra ergonomic handbag, including a backpack full of medical stuff. Lately he got himself a box of drugs from the parameds. Everything self bought, monthly enhancemend guaranteed. He bought own boots, throwsers, jacked, belt, t-shirt, helmet, everything top of the line and inflammable, owns an automated scanner which intercepts and records radio transmissions from the authority frequences.  I guess the difference is that some FFs havent seen much real action in the FF life, so buying the latest gear, showing it around, makes them feel good and important.

Own boots, trousers, jacket, belt, ...  Of cause yes, it has to fit and I know no fire fighter who is it just for some weeks. You normally can claim some of the costs at your tax return. The only ones who don't have to pay their firefighter gear are kids who still grow.

Getting drugs from parameds:)  If he hadn't or still has a license for paramedic help: giving drugs is a no go. Even if a person is suffering great pain like being pierced by the door frame of a car. The normal way at our firefighting training is to let them cry while trying to free them. The parameds which will arrive shortly after are trained in pain shock treatment. But a wrong drug may be preventing giving needed drugs because of nasty cross effects, or many pain killers prevent blood from clotting and a surgery would be more risk, ...

I got hundreds of hours training in first aid in all these years. But it is physical and electric only, I would be allowed to do a cut in the airpipe if no docs to be exspected the next 10 minutes, I am allowed to break ribs while trying reanimation, I can use a defibrillator, ...

The only time I would be allowed to use drugs at an emergency would be when everyone would be allowed: person has an emergency box around neck saying that the person may suffer from asthma, allergies, heart diseases or diabetis. In these cases the person has normally its own drugs with him.

The next thing would be giving antitoxins after an animal attack. I was bitten by a Kreuzotter (common european adder) when I was a boy and I had only a slightly higher pulse. Luckily there is nothing really poisonous in Germany. The danger are allergic shocks.