Q about RI and DA on melee DW dryad

RetsReds

Hello everyone, I have a couple of questions if that's ok.

I recently started a hardcore melee dual wield hunter dryad. It's a rather unorthodox build (not staves/Int/Acute Mind) and if it works out I'll share it in a lengthy build post, as I'm not finding anything similar anywhere. However, I want to get it to niob first. The problem is that I haven't played many dryads beforehand, just a bit of totem dryad. So, I have a couple of questions for the hunter skills that I can't find conclusive answers for.

1) Ravaged impact mods. I picked Perforate, Breach and Double shot in order to maximize single-target damage. I’m fine with the Bronze and Silver mods, but I’m not sure about Double shot. I don’t really need Blast, but before picking Double shot I was noticing that sometimes RI happened to register 2 hits anyway even without Double shot. And since the DW RI animation shows the dryad hitting with both weapons anyway, I started wondering whether double shot is unnecessary for melee DW. I’m thinking of trying it out on a new dryad, but I thought I’d ask here first, as I'm not sure that it always registered 2 hits or just sometimes (with double shot it hits twice 100% of the time ofc).

2) Darting assault mods. I picked Reload, Wounding and Rotate to maximize Area of Effect damage. It works fine so far - a limited range, but alright damage. However, I started noticing that the Area of Effect hits and kills more than 4 enemies at once. At first, it used to hit just 3 enemies, after Reload it started hitting 4, as expected. However, it now kills 5 or 6 enemies with just one spin. And it’s not just that a couple of enemies die from the Wounding of previous DA – it’s always a fresh group of enemies.
I’m not really sure why that’s so. The wiki doesn’t seem to indicate that Reload gives more hits the higher level DA gets, it just says “+1 projectile”. Does the Reload mod scale with level? Does the skill itself scale with level and I just wasted my bronze mod? The damage from the Edged bronze mod is just 22%, but it’s still something. My DA is at level 3 or 4 atm, due to item bonuses.

So those are my two main concerns – whether melee DW dryads hit twice with RI even without Double shot (and I wasted that gold mod), and whether DA hits more than 3-4 enemies even without Reload (and I wasted that bronze mod).

Other than that the build is going really nice and I have high hopes for hardcore niob – I’ll share it if it gets there.

P.S. Another quick question while I’m here – do you prefer Spell resistance or Combat reflexes for a melee dryad? I’ll mod Dust Devil for Spell Shield and Goldenglade Touch for Persevere (I.e. a ton of Willpower), so I should be sturdy against spells. However, with Ancient bark, Armor lore, Constitution, and Goldenglade Touch I should be all right against regular attacks as well.

Thanks!

Edit: I don't know if it matters, but I'm using the Community patch on a Steam Sacred 2 Gold edition (should be the latest version, I guess). 

Edited by RetsReds
Added a clarification + spelling
  • Like! 1

Well, I guess not a lot of people are around these days, eh? :) Or maybe I didn't formulate my questions adequately, I don't know.

Anyway, I've kind of made peace with the fact that I've screwed up the build a bit (especially in choosing Combat reflexes over Spell resistance) and I'll just play it out. It's still going strong but I haven't reached niob yet so we'll see how it handles spell damage there. I haven't tested if melee DW RI hits twice even without Double Shot, but I'm using it just for single target damage anyway, so I don't really need the Blast mod. 

3 hours ago, RetsReds said:

Well, I guess not a lot of people are around these days, eh? :) Or maybe I didn't formulate my questions adequately, I don't know.

Anyway, I've kind of made peace with the fact that I've screwed up the build a bit (especially in choosing Combat reflexes over Spell resistance) and I'll just play it out. It's still going strong but I haven't reached niob yet so we'll see how it handles spell damage there. I haven't tested if melee DW RI hits twice even without Double Shot, but I'm using it just for single target damage anyway, so I don't really need the Blast mod. 

Firstly, thanks for putting up such a detailed first post... and and big welcome to the community here at DarkMatters! I actually played Dryads for a while, but just two builds, staves for boss killing and that amazing Mass kill Effect...great at rounding up and killing natives in the jungle :D ...and also of course a great ranged blowpipe build which I'd managed to get all the way into Niboium HC and whidh got me most of my Legendaries.   

Hopefully someone who's played out builds more similar to yours would have some feed back that would be helpful, especially with the precise mechanics of your mod choices for your Dryad. 

Oh yah I remember now playing a voodoo dryad... VERY wild build and quite imagintaive...those heads we picked up at drops were an incredible game device :bounce:

:)

gogo

5 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Oh yah I remember now playing a voodoo dryad... VERY wild build and quite imagintaive...those heads we picked up at drops were an incredible game device :bounce:

Thanks for the warm welcome! ;)

Yea, the totem dryad was fun. I played her without viperish disease and just took it slow with the totems. It was really surprising how much the right heads affected the totems' damage, and little Scorpy was a monster! 

• Like! 1

Sniff, my old dryad weaponmaster and spidergirl guides seems to have died at one of the forum changes?

But even the guide died, you can read the thread how the character developed. The main difference between a spidergirl and a dualwield dryad is the shield. Ravaged Impact does a flipkick animation if fighting unarmed - it are two hits with the feet. Dual Wielding it would be two hits with the weapons. For the spidergirl the obvious gold mod for RI was blast to hit EVERY enemy close to you TWICE.

Here is a link to the thread. Shame that the weaponmaster guide seem to have vanished and I have no personal copy :(

• Like! 1

Hmm, so I did pick the wrong mod... Pity. It seems so weird to just give the Double shot effect to the skill with certain weapons even if the mod isn't picked.

Maybe it's worth making a new dryad then. I'm still just in gold, it's not too late. I'll also be able to pick Spell Res over Combat Ref... 

Thanks for the info, Chattius! :)

21 hours ago, chattius said:

Sniff, my old dryad weaponmaster and spidergirl guides seems to have died at one of the forum changes?

But even the guide died, you can read the thread how the character developed. The main difference between a spidergirl and a dualwield dryad is the shield. Ravaged Impact does a flipkick animation if fighting unarmed - it are two hits with the feet. Dual Wielding it would be two hits with the weapons. For the spidergirl the obvious gold mod for RI was blast to hit EVERY enemy close to you TWICE.

Here is a link to the thread. Shame that the weaponmaster guide seem to have vanished and I have no personal copy :(

Chattius, I'm heart broken... I dont know what happened to that guide :cry:

I'll check and see on the Wiki if there's a copy there for you ...it was on the first post of that thread here on DarkMatters?

And RetsReds, happy that you got an expert here on this thread helping you out... when it comes to mechanics, Chattius pretty much wrote the book

:hugs:

gogo

• Like! 1
20 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Chattius, I'm heart broken... I dont know what happened to that guide :cry:

I'll check and see on the Wiki if there's a copy there for you ...it was on the first post of that thread here on DarkMatters?

And RetsReds, happy that you got an expert here on this thread helping you out... when it comes to mechanics, Chattius pretty much wrote the book

:hugs:

gogo

I did a text copy of the kungfu dryad guide while working on the full formatted copy with all the pictures, links, ... when I was trying out what the forum software was able to do.

Sadly I had no such copy for the more advanced Weaponmaster guide.

14 hours ago, Augmint said:

Ah...id forgotten about the way back machine... :dance: Thanks Augmint! Chattius, I copy pasted your original info back into your first post ... Hope this help? 

:gogo:

gogo

• Like! 1