Flix's Guitar Videos

Flix

I've been watching old Twilight Zone episodes lately.  I heard this haunting song last night in an episode called "Come Wander With Me" and could not get it out of my head.  Much like the guy in the episode, I felt compelled to record it.  

@ gogoblender
Mmh? A post has disappeared somehow.

Yes. Mazzy Star has coorperated with several bands. It´s not everybodys taste, though. Too melancholic, if you ask me.

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, Dax said:

@ gogoblender
Mmh? A post has disappeared somehow.

Yes. Mazzy Star has coorperated with several bands. It´s not everybodys taste, though. Too melancholic, if you ask me.

lo, sorry... I was posting so much this morning and double posted, removed one of my posts but must have caught too... thanks for posting about it, I've just put it back up but it's after this one

She is melancholic .I call them "floater" style  :lol: ... trip hop?

:faerie:

gogo

• Like! 1

I had to google Trip Hop first. Sorry. A long and strange musical journey lies behind me.
Harcore->Death Metal->Black Metal. Went on to Prodigy & Rammstein only to abandon them,
landed musically somewhere in the baroque-age. Nowadays I´m listening to calm piano- and
violin-concerts instead of brutal guitar riffs. Sometimes, I ask myself what comes next. (:

• Like! 1

The quintessential trip hop for me is Portishead.

I used to play a version of this song live with the singer Caroline Crawford.  Don't have any videos from that time but I have still have the picture from our first rehearsal playing that song:

KL3tIAV.jpg

16 minutes ago, Flix said:

The quintessential trip hop for me is Portishead.

I used to play a version of this song live with the singer Caroline Crawford.  Don't have any videos from that time but I have still have the picture from our first rehearsal playing that song:

KL3tIAV.jpg

Flix, thats awesome, I love Portishead...that whole era still gives me chills when I listen to it... so cool that you used to do gigs with it! And that particular song you guys used to play is absolutely iconic

:music:

gogo

• 4 months later...
On 10/28/2019 at 6:48 PM, Androdion said:

Both Dummy and the S/T are stone cold classics, but I really wouldn't ignore the first few Massive Attack albums. Sure there's less jazz/orchestral arrangements and more of a street hustle hip hop meets dub persona on early MA, but anything between Blue Lines and Mezzanine is pure gold. I also adore 100th Window but that goes a bit more into downtempo eletronica territory.

Just noticed this comment.  My favorite Massive Attack track by a mile is the 'Flash Treatment' remix of Psyche (or rather this was the original; what wound up on the full Heligoland album was a remix).

• Like! 1
On 3/23/2020 at 11:51 AM, Androdion said:

Ah, Heligoland was a big letdown for me when I heard it. I tried to like it but it just didn't click. I haven't heard the album in years though, maybe I'll give it another shot one of these days.

I don't much care for that album either, just that song, and that particular version isn't even on the album proper.

Mezzanine was their masterpiece.  Was listening to Angel earlier, probably my second favorite track of theirs.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the share Ben! I took lessons for a few years when I was a kid on Piano... I can "feel" the range of that left hand on both instruments :sweating:  How interesting it is as well...When that twillight vampire series came out a few years ago about vampires...that first episode had the most remarkable piano score in it that I couldnt stop listening to over and over.. this song reminds me of it... relaxing Sunday Temp ... languid but a great adventure/romp ... for me I get a same emotional feel.... awesome that you're working with a friend's music, she must be delighted. 

:)

gogo

• Thanks! 1
9 hours ago, gogoblender said:

awesome that you're working with a friend's music, she must be delighted. 

Yeah, she said she was "incredibly impressed!"  :gogo:  She actually switched over from piano to guitar years ago so I think her old piano compositions are a fond memory for her.

She was actually the reason I used to have a gig at a local Italian restaurant playing classical guitar.  She used to play piano there and I would fill in for her some weekends.

30 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I wished I'd actually "gigged" when I was younger... did you play in a band for a while?  

gogo

Oh, yeah back the olden days we were actually in a band together.  We played... alt. rock, heavy grunge, I guess?

41971052_109997036634344_1806619199255085056_n.jpg.78d0c70e9806f70f1d876119db5babed.jpg

That's her on drums. I'm the heavy dude with the black guitar.

42270061_109997193300995_1220889233217028096_o.thumb.jpg.2050238e4cd2c339b899fda4bb8b0afd.jpg

We actually used the money from about a year's worth of gigs to cut a professionally recorded demo, but it never went anywhere.  We all went our own separate ways after college (military, med school, law school).

• Respect! 1

Ben! That music is really professional sounding and is professionally polished technically. For a band to be a great success, however, it takes total commitment from everyone and with real life's demands, that we get the bills paid and an endless host of other distractions, it's a nearly insurmountable mountain to produce a real sensational hit. As a visual artist, I have had to set aside my artistic goals and focus on my family and getting my daughter through the completion of her education. She has two Bachelors' degrees in science now (Magna Cum Laude) but she's off to get a Masters in Geology in the Fall and then she's set to obtain a Ph.D. in Paleontology. I dabble in my artwork now, but I hope one day to create a series of paintings and begin writing books. Ben, it's satisfying and entertaining to see you still playing guitar (so very well) in your videos and keeping your mad skills well honed. Please keep up the good work and I hope to see more of your recorded music videos (if you wish to share them).

:hooyaah:

• Thanks! 1
7 hours ago, Dax said:

Have to chime in again. I have just listened to Jenny Moores piano track. It is awesome! Excellent flow. Give her a medal, Flix!

It is a wonderful composition isn't it?  You can see why one would be compelled to learn the piece on their chosen instrument.

Yes it is indeed. Piano is my favorite instrument. My neighbour, despite his age, is still playing it now and then. Virtuous performance. I usually start working in the garden, as soon as the music starts so that I can listen secretly. Offered him and his wife booze a while ago, but that was not a good idea. The concerto was discontinued for that evening. :wink:

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Flix! Ever since I posted Scarborough Fair as played by Simon and Garfunkel the other day, I have been thinking that it is a tune that I'd like to hear you play. So, may I make this a special request? I think that you would make this particular selection sound awesome indeed! I hope to see more from you soon.

:JC_wanted:

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

@Flix! Ever since I posted Scarborough Fair as played by Simon and Garfunkel the other day, I have been thinking that it is a tune that I'd like to hear you play. So, may I make this a special request? I think that you would make this particular selection sound awesome indeed! I hope to see more from you soon.

I could see this transforming into Flix's late night Cafe Venue

gogo

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Thanks, I've known the basic folk tune on guitar for years. I'm afraid without all the layers, instruments, and vocal harmonies of Simon & Garfunkel's recording it's actually quite simple and bare.

I've finally got a little "studio" set up in my new apartment that I moved into last October. I have baffling huge walk-in closet in my hallway that is big enough to fit a chair, microphone, and of course me + the guitar.

• Like! 1