Black Friday 2018! Yay or Nay?

Did you guys get anything?  At work, we were being barraged with call after call for phone deals... an interminably long day... but hey... there was donuts and water bottles for all ^^

I was saving up a bit to finally plunk down some money for the new macbook air... I've been mostly working from home on large screens and desk top...but have been finding myself wanting for some mobility...specially with the awesome new tech out there...and finally some good pricing was here, and got the laptop... 

Blech!!

What a horrible thing... in fact Im so ashamed of what Apple's put together in this latest incarnation of it's beloved mobile computer for the masses from years ago, it breaks my heart.

One of the most important things for me is the laptop camera. 

I use Facetime a lot with my family on my phone and tablet, and when I visit my Ammamma, I like to put her on video so she can chat with the family. But this camera in the Macbook air 2018 is such a load of pap!

... grainy, blurry... I looked up peoples' remarks on line... and all the same thing... 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8627217

Even the screen when compared to Schot's XPS 13 (gem!) or the new Microsoft Surface Laptop 2 (UBER GEM!!)  just doesn't cut it when compared side by side. The apple screen is notably more washed out and leaves you with a gray, depressed feeling in your heart and bones...

IMG_0936.jpg

Apple...what's happened to you!!!

:angry:

:cry:

ggo

On 11/24/2018 at 4:59 PM, Dragon Brother said:

Bugger Gogo! Thats a shame, especially when Apple products aren't known for being cheap...you expect quality from them.

Any chance you can take it back for a refund and get something you are happy with elsewhere?

Thanks DB.  Its funny cuz I used to be wholly an Android guy a few years ago when I picked up my first phone.  But I slowly started using more and more Apple since a lot of my family uses it and of course its easier for my Mom to call and have me trouble shoot with her over the phone if the devices are the same :lol:  I love the Apple watch and phones, but I've never been happy with the laptops...and this last one just broke my heart o_O ... good thing with Apple is there is a serious money back guarantee ... they just take it no questions asked... and in this case, and as I see over the net this morning more and more complaints have gone in about the blurry camera.  I was able to take the macbook air 2018 back...and have finally settled on a surface laptop 2... LOVE the design language on this machine, and the color, "feel" and speed are just insane... im in love :heart:

:)

gogo

I've been thinking about a Pixel Slate that was supposed to be released on Thanksgiving day. The fine print said they wouldn't be available for a few weeks. You can pre order, but I'm on the fence and want a hands-on before making the leap.

2 hours ago, lujate said:

I've been thinking about a Pixel Slate that was supposed to be released on Thanksgiving day. The fine print said they wouldn't be available for a few weeks. You can pre order, but I'm on the fence and want a hands-on before making the leap.

Lujate do you draw, or like using tablets? I've heard mixed reviews about this device on you tube, particularly from Dieter Bohn who's positioning I've enjoyed for devices in the past and who says he loves is last year's pixel book tons. 

gogo

I bought my nexus five from Google direct online..they have an awesome holidays return policy...like thirty days when I got my phone years ago? Microsoft online store has a constant year round thirty day return policy...one of the reasons I love getting stuff from them online.  You can order and see if you're satisfied.

gogo

My tablet is my primary personal computing device, and I'm in desperate need of a new one.   The cross over nature of the Slate would (I think) allow me to replace some of times I actually have to use real PC.

The reviews are most definitely mixed.

6 minutes ago, lujate said:

My tablet is my primary personal computing device, and I'm in desperate need of a new one.   The cross over nature of the Slate would (I think) allow me to replace some of times I actually have to use real PC.

The reviews are most definitely mixed.

ahhh, yes... I remember now.... u have a play station for gaming right ?  Do post how this goes if you do end up trying it.  Whats the tablet yer using now btw?

gogo

13 hours ago, gogoblender said:

ahhh, yes... I remember now.... u have a play station for gaming right ?  Do post how this goes if you do end up trying it.  Whats the tablet yer using now btw?

gogo

Yes, I've always been a console gamer at heart. The lure of I&B drew me to PC and I stuck around for GW2. Except for occasional fling with Sacred 2 for old time's sake,  it's back to console for me.

I currently have a Nexus 9 tablet. It was good but it's starting to show its age.

3 minutes ago, lujate said:

Yes, I've always been a console gamer at heart. The lure of I&B drew me to PC and I stuck around for GW2. Except for occasional fling with Sacred 2 for old time's sake,  it's back to console for me.

I currently have a Nexus 9 tablet. It was good but it's starting to show its age.

Would you consider an apple tablet? They're actually more powerful than most PC's out there, the new ones that just got released have been excellently reviewed by most... course it's an apple and you'd have to make do with IOS 

:lol:

gogo

On 12/1/2018 at 10:46 AM, gogoblender said:

Would you consider an apple tablet? They're actually more powerful than most PC's out there, the new ones that just got released have been excellently reviewed by most... course it's an apple and you'd have to make do with IOS 

gogo

At this exact moment,I think I've talked myself out of the Slate. I'm dreaming of one device to be both tablet and laptop, but I'm afraid I'll get something that sucks at both. 

The price also makes it an expensive gamble. It's $600 US, but that's the base model. That's with 32GB storage. That seems like it could be low for something that's both tablet and laptop. For $700, you can get 64GB, which should be enough. Of course that's a Celeron processor, which every review I've seen says don't get. You can upgrade to an Intel i5 for only $800. Oh wait, you have to have a keyboard for $200. The price is now sitting at $1K.

iPad is the undisputed king of tablets, but I really, really dislike iOS. Right now,I think I'm going to probably pick up a tablet in the $300 range (most likely an Android but there's an outside chance of an iPad).

1 minute ago, lujate said:

At this exact moment,I think I've talked myself out of the Slate. I'm dreaming of one device to be both tablet and laptop, but I'm afraid I'll get something that sucks at both. 

The price also makes it an expensive gamble. It's $600 US, but that's the base model. That's with 32GB storage. That seems like it could be low for something that's both tablet and laptop. For $700, you can get 64GB, which should be enough. Of course that's a Celeron processor, which every review I've seen says don't get. You can upgrade to an Intel i5 for only $800. Oh wait, you have to have a keyboard for $200. The price is now sitting at $1K.

iPad is the undisputed king of tablets, but I really, really dislike iOS. Right now,I think I'm going to probably pick up a tablet in the $300 range (most likely an Android but there's an outside chance of an iPad).

my brother just got the surface pro and absolutely loves it

Hearing what you're saying on neither one together being the best right now... but word is that the surface pro is king of its own niche

He's not really a drawer...but likes to watch tv with his wire and their three cats after two days at work (lol seriously he works that hard:lol: ) on the tablet and when he wants to get productive he just uses the magnetic clamp on keyboard that he says works like a charm

Also... the Surface go got REALLY excellent reviews from Dave Lee... my absolute best reviewer:

gogo

19 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

my brother just got the surface pro and absolutely loves it

Hearing what you're saying on neither one together being the best right now... but word is that the surface pro is king of its own niche

He's not really a drawer...but likes to watch tv with his wire and their three cats after two days at work (lol seriously he works that hard:lol: ) on the tablet and when he wants to get productive he just uses the magnetic clamp on keyboard that he says works like a charm

Also... the Surface go got REALLY excellent reviews from Dave Lee... my absolute best reviewer:

gogo

:twitch:  Now gogo, I had just about figured this while thing out, and you had to go and show that. :twitch:

21 minutes ago, lujate said:

:twitch:  Now gogo, I had just about figured this while thing out, and you had to go and show that. :twitch:

lol... and thats what us internet fiend/friends are for!

:4rofl:

I actually thought THE most interesting thing about Dave's review..is how hyped he was about it as a productivity product... that floored me.  For a while now I'd always thought about tablets as being for consumption and laptops as productvity...but if the Go's managed to get it all into one cool new form.. awesome

gogo

On 12/1/2018 at 1:31 AM, gogoblender said:

Thanks DB.  Its funny cuz I used to be wholly an Android guy a few years ago when I picked up my first phone.  But I slowly started using more and more Apple since a lot of my family uses it and of course its easier for my Mom to call and have me trouble shoot with her over the phone if the devices are the same :lol:  I love the Apple watch and phones, but I've never been happy with the laptops...and this last one just broke my heart o_O ... good thing with Apple is there is a serious money back guarantee ... they just take it no questions asked... and in this case, and as I see over the net this morning more and more complaints have gone in about the blurry camera.  I was able to take the macbook air 2018 back...and have finally settled on a surface laptop 2... LOVE the design language on this machine, and the color, "feel" and speed are just insane... im in love :heart:

Good to see you got something you love! I agree with you, I love the look of the Surface line and if I needed a laptop it's probably where I would look first. But I have a desktop PC and an old iPad mini which meets my portable needs (internet browsing, eBook reading and watching Netflix etc.). Like Flix's tablet, its probably getting a bit long in the tooth, but if I do look to replace it I don't have the same need for it to be a productivity beast which makes shopping much easier.

I can feel your pain though Flix, wanting something that suits both portability and productivity these days is easy, but usually very expensive!

7 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I actually thought THE most interesting thing about Dave's review..is how hyped he was about it as a productivity product... that floored me.  For a while now I'd always thought about tablets as being for consumption and laptops as productvity...but if the Go's managed to get it all into one cool new form.. awesome

I think most of the surface line do this really well, the good thing about the Surface Go is the price relative to the rest of the line-up.

On 12/3/2018 at 8:51 PM, Dragon Brother said:

Good to see you got something you love! I agree with you, I love the look of the Surface line and if I needed a laptop it's probably where I would look first. But I have a desktop PC and an old iPad mini which meets my portable needs (internet browsing, eBook reading and watching Netflix etc.). Like Flix's tablet, its probably getting a bit long in the tooth, but if I do look to replace it I don't have the same need for it to be a productivity beast which makes shopping much easier.

I can feel your pain though Flix, wanting something that suits both portability and productivity these days is easy, but usually very expensive!

I think most of the surface line do this really well, the good thing about the Surface Go is the price relative to the rest of the line-up.

Just SO happy with this purchase DB.  I've actually been finding that Im using my desktop only for gaming (eeeeeeeeeeeee Overwatch.. :4rofl: ) and the lap top more and more for writing.  The keyboard is just brilliant.  I'd found that for years now the clackety clank of mechanical keyboards was a hard chore to maintain long amounts of typing on, and in fact my fingers would get tired of having to press downloads in such long strokes. That I actually liked more the keyboards with less downwards press length because it felt like my fingers were moving less..  This keyboard on the surface seems to have perfect depress length, and the keys themeselves' spacing works for me with super quiet tapping.  

I did finally opt in for the extra coverage for the two years... lol only found out now that these laptops are completely unrepairable ?

gogo

2 hours ago, lujate said:

I had order it, soi haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet. It's supposed to arrive next week.

can hardly wait !

I actually visitied my ammamma this last saturday...and I wasnt so happy with the "handling" of a laptop in front of her while we were eating a meal... maybe a tablet could work better the next time^^

gogo