How’s your day going?

I had  a wonderful visit with my Ammamma last two nights ago! She is just positively wild and witty! I had to wear space booties, over shield, mask and gown ...take a 20 minute class with others as we boned up on hygiene techniques...and finally there she was eating her dinner slowly in her pristine smiley beautify... Pearl Gertrude Arulanantham... take a bow madame!

:heart:

gogo

IMG_6495.jpg

IMG_6473.jpg

IMG_6469.jpg

IMG_6465.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

• 2 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 5:45 AM, chattius said:

Yesterday a truck brought a little toy: a MB-Trac. Mercedes Benz build tractors from 1970 to 1990 by using an Unimog as a base. I needed something heavier than my old Unimog for forest work. The beast is still in parts and I probably need a weekend to mount all together. Ours will be painted blue (best colour to see from afar in a forest). When it came out 4 same sized wheels, all wheel driven and such was new to tractors. Now several companies covered the idea.

lol no Tonka toy truck for you!!

81OLqPX0QyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How big is the box all the parts come in... is it dropped off by truck?

:)

gogo

• Haha 1

My day was not the most pleasant...

on Mondays I do the bread at work. Start at 03:00 in the morning mixing all the different doughs. White farm, Brown farm (gets split in half for seeded farm bread as well) walnut & sultana loaf, country loaf (half white bread flour, half rye flour) 100% rye bread, sourdough bread, Baguettes (we call the dough "French dough") it also gets divided for Mini baguettes, cocktail rolls and Medium baguettes, ciabatta's (the dough also gets used for making the pizza bases) burger buns, and for this time of year we do a special "mosbollietjie" bread. Mos is "grape must" that is left over after wine is made, and is readily available this time of year in the wine regions in South Africa and an enriched bread is made with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosbolletjies

image.png.98e00d50e273cc33e3985ef963c34695.png

Usually the bakery shift is fine for me, I mostly do a 12 hours shift, because once I am done with the bakery, I have to go and do prep in Pastry kitchen for the 2 days that I am HOPEFULLY off on Tuesday & Wednesday...

Today it felt like all the breads and doughs where working against me... the sourdough was ice cold and took more than an hour longer before I had to start baking it... came out somewhat alright, I was not very happy though. the ciabatta looked more like a flatbread, no idea what went wrong there, the country loaf was sticky and wet, mixed it twice, adding more flour to try and dry it out a bit, the first batch of burger buns barely proofed... could've sold them as ammunition for slingshots... the only one that was actually making me feel better was the baguettes, I previously struggled with the shaping and rolling of it, and today they came out great... and got home at 16:00 today. It is 16:30 right now.

1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

How big is the box all the parts come in... is it dropped off by truck?

gogo

It was a cheap MB-trac from a farmer. For forest work: the roll cage, the hydraulic 'feet' for a better stand, emergency hatch in the roof and some other things have to be added.

Mosbolletjies - reads like 'Must + small bullets' in dutch

Is there an english word for Soßsenlebkuchen? A gingerbread specially made to thicken sausages given to roasted wild, or marinated horse meat?

• 1 month later...

We installed two like this for preventing our 20 month old grandchild to climb the staircase or fall down if up. Last week she managed to climb over it. Today our female Leonberger finished its training to keep her away. Luckily as soon as the dog pushes her with its nose Mara turns from climbing to playing with the dog.

Noone knows why her grandgrandma from father side was named Marada, but she is named after her and another grandgrandma: Marada Runhild

Runhild is germanic for she who defends (hild) her family with Wisdom (runes)

Marada was a tribe of fierce oriental fighters, but noone knows if the name relates to it.

While Mara is fearless she lacks yet a bit the wisdom to prevent dangerous explorations. Small accidents are good learning, but our entrance hall was a machine hall 50 years ago and falling down is 4+ metres.

Treppenschutz-Safe-n-Go-01_600x600.jpg

• Like! 1
On 4/16/2021 at 5:21 AM, chattius said:

We installed two like this for preventing our 20 month old grandchild to climb the staircase or fall down if up. Last week she managed to climb over it. Today our female Leonberger finished its training to keep her away. Luckily as soon as the dog pushes her with its nose Mara turns from climbing to playing with the dog.

Noone knows why her grandgrandma from father side was named Marada, but she is named after her and another grandgrandma: Marada Runhild

Runhild is germanic for she who defends (hild) her family with Wisdom (runes)

Marada was a tribe of fierce oriental fighters, but noone knows if the name relates to it.

While Mara is fearless she lacks yet a bit the wisdom to prevent dangerous explorations. Small accidents are good learning, but our entrance hall was a machine hall 50 years ago and falling down is 4+ metres.

Treppenschutz-Safe-n-Go-01_600x600.jpg

How well you can train your do? I remember being so frustrated with simple commands when having a dog when I was a kid.  And I never get tired of heaving and reading about your family's adventures in your huge, grand spaces

Thank you for the early morning share, I was feeling a little tired from a long week and didnt want to leave pas this second cup of coffee but you've leaked word to me of a lit world full of life outside and I'm ready to take on the day.

to the top!

:hugs:

gogo

Many buy puppies for their kids when the puppies are still very very young. We do it the way that the puppies stay 3 month at their mother who does a lot of the social training. From puppy age 8 weeks to 12 weeks the new owner visits them and does more and more personal training. Week 12-14 the new owner takes the puppy to the new home for more and more hours.

So it is like mama dog knows that certain things are not welcome and she trains her puppies to do as she does. Saves a lot of frustration for puppies and new owners. Our Leonberger are trained water rescue dogs and are used to keep young kids away from the water. So the staircase was more or less just another no-go area added,

It is just natural for them to keep young puppies away from water. Not much extra training to make it puppies and human little kids. Once they know that an area is dangerous for little ones the training is done.

• Like! 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2021 at 12:13 PM, chattius said:

Many buy puppies for their kids when the puppies are still very very young. We do it the way that the puppies stay 3 month at their mother who does a lot of the social training. From puppy age 8 weeks to 12 weeks the new owner visits them and does more and more personal training. Week 12-14 the new owner takes the puppy to the new home for more and more hours.

So it is like mama dog knows that certain things are not welcome and she trains her puppies to do as she does. Saves a lot of frustration for puppies and new owners. Our Leonberger are trained water rescue dogs and are used to keep young kids away from the water. So the staircase was more or less just another no-go area added,

It is just natural for them to keep young puppies away from water. Not much extra training to make it puppies and human little kids. Once they know that an area is dangerous for little ones the training is done.

I would LOVE to have a puppy! but im paranoid of it barking :( since we lost the cat of age 21 its like we need that extra "being" in the house...  

gogo

Dogs should only do alarm barking. You are the lead wolf when outside and a normal lead wolf wouldn't allow young wolves to bark. It would alarm their prey. If the young wolf is alone at house, it shouldn't bark because it would lead predators to the wolf cave.

All this is normally trained by mama dog if the puppies are not taken away too early. Problems are dogs who are from an animal asylum. You have to trust the people there to tell you the truth about the dog.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, chattius said:

Dogs should only do alarm barking. You are the lead wolf when outside and a normal lead wolf wouldn't allow young wolves to bark. It would alarm their prey. If the young wolf is alone at house, it shouldn't bark because it would lead predators to the wolf cave.

All this is normally trained by mama dog if the puppies are not taken away too early. Problems are dogs who are from an animal asylum. You have to trust the people there to tell you the truth about the dog.

sounds nicer to me than one of my cousins... lol a supposed "dog whisperer" ... he always "crate trains" his pups while they grow up... kinda breaks me heart a bit

:cry:

gogo

5 hours ago, gogoblender said:

sounds nicer to me than one of my cousins... lol a supposed "dog whisperer" ... he always "crate trains" his pups while they grow up... kinda breaks me heart a bit

:cry:

gogo

There is a bit of difference if puppies grew up mid in countryside and the mama dog can 'train' them in nature or if they are born in a city. Many puppies are born accidently because the owners of the mother dogs seem to have missed bees and flowers at school and wonder why there are puppies when their dog was only 'playing with other dogs' in the park.

• Like! 1

ready for running... its gonna be 10 degrees but... hopefully a bit warmer near the cemetary (:lol: ) ...im trying a new technique called "kenyan shuffle" for "slow" jogging... its supposed to target aerobic system vs anaerobic... keep heart rate low and build a strong aerobic...

dr mafletone 's idea... MAF training ... also swaggled Schot into doing it but he can only do evenings

:bounce:

gogo

• 2 weeks later...

Mother's day - my gift was a heap of rusty metal in a barn and a model car...

Bought an old Baur BMW 2002 Cabriolet. Sever rust damage, the canvas rotten, but engine and frame intact. Was in the low 3 digit Euro price. The needed hours to rebuild will be more I guess.

As an appetizer what it will look like I bought a model of it. The roof can be dismantled and stored in the rear. Behinf the rear seat is a smaller foldable canvas part. Not a real cabriolet but a robust frame. One of these was the first car of my wife. Couldn't find the original anymore. Not even a running one. Luckily my father in law was running a BMW store so access to parts is still there. Guess 5000 Euro, 1000 hours, and then the market price is around 30000+.

Before my wife finished university she was working with her dad on weekends. So we will have some fun rebuilding it.

71OE-dR7JKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like! 1
43 minutes ago, chattius said:

Mother's day - my gift was a heap of rusty metal in a barn and a model car...

Bought an old Baur BMW 2002 Cabriolet. Sever rust damage, the canvas rotten, but engine and frame intact. Was in the low 3 digit Euro price. The needed hours to rebuild will be more I guess.

As an appetizer what it will look like I bought a model of it. The roof can be dismantled and stored in the rear. Behinf the rear seat is a smaller foldable canvas part. Not a real cabriolet but a robust frame. One of these was the first car of my wife. Couldn't find the original anymore. Not even a running one. Luckily my father in law was running a BMW store so access to parts is still there. Guess 5000 Euro, 1000 hours, and then the market price is around 30000+.

Before my wife finished university she was working with her dad on weekends. So we will have some fun rebuilding it.

71OE-dR7JKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That's an incredible gift ... and epic lore it's wrapped up in !

:gogo:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Having a great day! Ive made my morning runs smaller, 5k and had a briilliatn omelette... used cabbage and mushrooms and tons of extra cheese...

Feeling the Force ! (hint check out Tshirt :D )

FF14A742-5861-4BA2-B0B6-5BE8D63D0A68-COLLAGE.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have had a bad week.

My mother passed away on Wednesday. It was Covid and other health problems that made recovery difficult. 

I am in George. My fiance and I came through on Tuesday to go see her in the Hospital. We got here at night, so the hospital did not allow visits anymore. Next morning as I was about to leave to go to her, my sister called and said she has passed away. Everyday has been sad and grieving. There has been good moments when we remember something good, and we would laugh, and then something just releases the floods of tears.... I know it is going to take time to start feeling really better. 

• Sad 2

Theuns I am heart broken to hear about your loss. I lost my dad in a car accident when we were 13 and it took a while to slowly find new things for our heart that was filled in by him.  You Fiance is a rock in your life and having family to talk to will help you keep settled during coming time.

Sending you  good energy and comfort for you and your family Theuns

:heart:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
  • 2 months later...

Sooooo.... Hi everyone, been a while... :lol: just a quick update on things...

On 2/2/2019 at 1:40 PM, Timotheus said:

(...)

I’ll start off with my past week: we are selling our house and going back to renting an appartment. In a few years time, we are looking to move back to the city we’ve grown up in, so we want to be more flexible.

(...)

At the start of this thread, a good 2,5yrs ago, we were on the verge of selling our house with a vague plan for the future. And now the time is upon us, soon we will be moving back to the place we grew up in! We sold our house in 2019, are currently still renting a place in the same city, but we've bought our new house!
Hoping to move in before Christmas. :JC_hurrah:

On 4/30/2020 at 3:38 PM, Timotheus said:

(...) 

Tomorrow was supposed to be spent at the race track, since Formula 1 was supposed to return to the Netherlands this weekend. Sadly, it's been put on hold for now

(...)

And Formula 1 finally happened this year, Zandvoort was awesome. :Cherna_24:

On 8/16/2020 at 9:39 PM, Timotheus said:

(...)

One of the only things I managed to get around to, was rebuilding my PC in a fresh, normal looking case, ready to be sold. I'm about to put a new system together. My current setup originated from a pre-built 2015 system, IIRC. It has seen 2 CPU upgrades, 2 GPU upgrades, a PSU upgrade, an SSD, additional RAM and a replacement motherboard. Of all these upgrades, only one was actually new, everything else was second hand. All that remains from that original system now is one stick of RAM and the harddrive, lol. Thrifty, as I've named it's latest iteration, is by no means slow or terrible, but it's time to move on. I hope to have better luck than my friend though: he recieved his brand new system with the tempered glass side panel completely shattered in the box...

(...)

The PC was never sold in the end, it's actually seen a rebuild with another replacement motherboard and case with good airflow.
I couldn't justify buying a new system. 

On 9/20/2020 at 8:52 PM, Timotheus said:

@gogoblender the thing is, we weren't even that far away from home at all. We just felt like getting out of the house, away from distractions, and celebrate being together for almost 14 years now (21st is our actual "anniversary"). Worked out just fine :D

15 years this September 21st, and we got married that day!

On 11/15/2020 at 11:52 PM, Timotheus said:

I had an iPhone 7 Plus which I absolutely loved but managed to... Ahem... Smash the screen of... Sold it off to someone looking for iPhones to repair. 

After that I stuck to a second hand iPhone 5c which I used before that. I replaced the screen and battery on that one. But the phone was on it's last legs as it refused to charge half the time.

The Pixel 3a ticked all the boxes on my wish list at the time: long OS-support, superb camera, for two thirds to half the price of the competition. That's why I pulled the trigger on it. But Google-for-everything is starting to be annoying. Since my main account is a Microsoft account, and my Gmail is for spam...

Like I said, my phone history sucks... :blush2:

And erm, I dropped my phone. AGAIN. Cracking the screen. AGAIN. 
I'm rocking a second hand as new, used only once iPhone SE now. 

I'll repeat myself: my phone history sucks. 

So there you have it :) going back to lurk mode lol :4rofl:

• Appreciation 1
9 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Ask Schott for help. Okay I think it is another Schott, but few days ago Schott AG reported that they created a special glas for displays which will survive falls from 3 metres.

I remember Schott from my time at chemical practicum at university (why my maths were forced to do it stays a secret, no other university demanded it, must be historical). Nearly all the high temperature glass pieces were from Schott. The microscope in the vitrine in the praxis room of my wife is a Zeiss with glasses from Schott, build in the 1890ties.

https://www.schott.com/innovation/en/xensation-up/

My own day: late evening I will drive to Frankfurt airport to pick up a new Au-Pair/guest daughter. Foreign office asked if we would accept another this year. We didn't signed for one, but we did an okay for the reserve list. Seems our ratings are very high so we were very high in the reserve list. It is not normal Au Pair, more a student doing a year in a foreign place as a practicum for studying diplomacy. She is from Dutch Caribbean, so spoken language is not that a problem.

I can even play the Dutch national anthem on my tuba. Wilhelm, prince of Nassau, was born just 12 kilometres away in Dillenburg. The Wilhem-Tower at Dillenburg. I think it are Dutch, Belgium and German flags for the countries who paid the repair.

So lot of dutch tourists and in average one per year manages to do a crash in the responsibility of our volunteer firefighters. Mainly not used to bridges between hills and very high wind forces. My closest neighbour (less than 1 kilometre) is from Netherlands.

2560px-Wilhelmsturm_in_Dillenburg.jpg

• Like! 1
On 10/14/2021 at 5:09 PM, Timotheus said:

Sooooo.... Hi everyone, been a while... :lol: just a quick update on things...

At the start of this thread, a good 2,5yrs ago, we were on the verge of selling our house with a vague plan for the future. And now the time is upon us, soon we will be moving back to the place we grew up in! We sold our house in 2019, are currently still renting a place in the same city, but we've bought our new house!
Hoping to move in before Christmas. :JC_hurrah:

And Formula 1 finally happened this year, Zandvoort was awesome. :Cherna_24:

The PC was never sold in the end, it's actually seen a rebuild with another replacement motherboard and case with good airflow.
I couldn't justify buying a new system. 

15 years this September 21st, and we got married that day!

So there you have it :) going back to lurk mode lol :4rofl:

Timooooooo ... im so happy to see your post! zomgod, seeing posts from people I have known for years is always electrifying! :hugs:   ... new house?? Bravo !! and at the old home stead! My gosh, ive had this apartment now for on close to 20 years.. I remember moving in then and this was just about the time I was getting into computers, my mom then bought me one a few years later and . so that connection to SAcred and then us all here!

You have a Iphone?? rofl..i thought for sure you would defintely be an Android guy

:4rofl:

gogo

• Like! 1