Jump to content

How’s your day going?


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, chattius said:

Last week we still had to cover vegs in the garden because of nightfrosts. The 'Icy Saints' were valid 71% for the last 50 years at least in our region.

Vor Bonifaz kein Sommer,
nach der Sophie kein Frost!

Real summer won't begin before the day of Boniface of Tarsus.

No night frosts after the day of Saint Sophia of Rome.

There are english studies that the ice saints are non sense. But the United Kingdom is in mid of a warm ocean stream. For centreal europe they more often happen than not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_Saint

 

Today no sun, rain showers. Very good, because we live outside and get our water from a well. And there was not enough rain and snow in water to fill it.

 

 

 

Oh! I do not envy the inhabitants of Central Europe at all then! here is great, there were 26 degrees at my house this afternoon!

of course, only last week the maximum temperatures did not reach twenty, but today the weather was perfect! in fact, as soon as I got tired of video games, I played table football for almost an hour with my friends (I'm the champion of the village, however)

:thumbsupsmiley:

  • Like! 1
Link to post
  • Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Too bad. I already bought a second hand HP Z420 for 380 Euro in decembre. Kids say it has nearly enough computer power to use it for playing with LEGO robots. 3 monitors connected and this free educat

you had a sunny pasquetta? come on, who's gonna believe that (barbecue under the rain for me, as per tradition)

I was offered a free trip to tour Chernobyl. Besides a few video games and movies, I'm fairly ignorant as to how dangerous that place still is. I looked at a variety of tour sites. One blurb said "rad

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Mare said:

Oh! I do not envy the inhabitants of Central Europe at all then! here is great, there were 26 degrees at my house this afternoon!

of course, only last week the maximum temperatures did not reach twenty, but today the weather was perfect! in fact, as soon as I got tired of video games, I played table football for almost an hour with my friends (I'm the champion of the village, however)

:thumbsupsmiley:

heh...that'll happen to me as well... ill be with the screen for a bit and as the weather outside gets better, its beckoning becomes that much stronger...

the world is outside!

:gogo:

 

gogo

Link to post
26 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

heh...that'll happen to me as well... ill be with the screen for a bit and as the weather outside gets better, its beckoning becomes that much stronger...

the world is outside!

:gogo:

 

gogo

Today's happenings:

9.30: woke up :coffeecup:

10.00: basketball game with friends, and then again table football :bounce:

13.00: lunch (pasta, steak, fruit cake) :chef:

2.30pm: ride with my brother up to the bike until 

17.30: shower :whistle:

18.00 (now): videogames :pirate:

 

  • Like! 1
Link to post

I came to Namibia with my Fiance to visit his Family. This is my first visit to Namibia and his family. I have met them when ever they came to The Western Cape. The languages are atleast still English and Afrikaans, but a LOT of German. 

The landscape driving here had some really beautiful places, and then areas where you would think that no place on earth can be THIS flat and devoid of life forms. The whole country only has a population of about 2,5 million people.

From Franschhoek it is about 1500km. So even though I did want to drive it all on one day, my fiance did not feel up to it, and his father kindly arranged a room in a hotel in Keetmanshoop (500km from our destination). We went to a guest house for dinner, and both ordered the Onyx/Gemsbok "sosatie"( a small wooden rounded stake that works like a mini espatada). What arrived at the table where two full portioned espatadas, loaded with meat and vegetables. And more vegetables as sides. If I had to guess, it was about 300g of meat and then more veggies... Neither of us finished it. 

IMG-20190523-WA0002.thumb.jpg.8080184227d002b0a30e972ed50854fe.jpg

We went to a Restaurant today in Windhoek(the capital city: population just more than 550 000). The restaurant is called Nyama which in Oshiwambo(a native language) means MEAT. We had Onyx, zebra, eland, warthog, beef, lamb and pork. One of the chefs comes around with an Espatada of the selected meat, and you can say how much you want. 

IMG-20190525-WA0004.thumb.jpg.966b4c3f0435d0bc097e9020115cd8c9.jpg

It was delicious, although we all would've preferred something more on the medium rare side, they cook it till done, so that people who prefer their meat dead, dry and devoid of flavour can not complain. 

We are staying here till Wednesday and then driving back again.

 

Wifi/internet is a bit sketchy so I will post on the forum when I do have the chance.

 

  • Like! 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Delta! said:

I came to Namibia with my Fiance to visit his Family. This is my first visit to Namibia and his family. I have met them when ever they came to The Western Cape. The languages are atleast still English and Afrikaans, but a LOT of German. 

The landscape driving here had some really beautiful places, and then areas where you would think that no place on earth can be THIS flat and devoid of life forms. The whole country only has a population of about 2,5 million people.

From Franschhoek it is about 1500km. So even though I did want to drive it all on one day, my fiance did not feel up to it, and his father kindly arranged a room in a hotel in Keetmanshoop (500km from our destination). We went to a guest house for dinner, and both ordered the Onyx/Gemsbok "sosatie"( a small wooden rounded stake that works like a mini espatada). What arrived at the table where two full portioned espatadas, loaded with meat and vegetables. And more vegetables as sides. If I had to guess, it was about 300g of meat and then more veggies... Neither of us finished it. 

IMG-20190523-WA0002.thumb.jpg.8080184227d002b0a30e972ed50854fe.jpg

We went to a Restaurant today in Windhoek(the capital city: population just more than 550 000). The restaurant is called Nyama which in Oshiwambo(a native language) means MEAT. We had Onyx, zebra, eland, warthog, beef, lamb and pork. One of the chefs comes around with an Espatada of the selected meat, and you can say how much you want. 

IMG-20190525-WA0004.thumb.jpg.966b4c3f0435d0bc097e9020115cd8c9.jpg

It was delicious, although we all would've preferred something more on the medium rare side, they cook it till done, so that people who prefer their meat dead, dry and devoid of flavour can not complain. 

We are staying here till Wednesday and then driving back again.

 

Wifi/internet is a bit sketchy so I will post on the forum when I do have the chance.

 

Theuns, just WOW...was looking at google's of Namibia..its like a country from adventure tales...!

iStock-156278254.jpg

 

Huge sweeping beaching hitting towering dunes... is this Earth? And what a meaty dinner...these pix are amazing, what a great share with us. Thank you for the captivating writing and pictures

:)

 

gogo

Link to post

We are back in Franschhoek. we decided to drive it all in one go. We both feel very "peopled out" like, we just want to be alone with each other for a few days, only have each other for company, and not have to see any one else for a few days. I also feel very "meated out" when it comes to food. Meat has been the main (and sometimes only) thing you would get on a plate with some french fries/chips, which I do not consider a vegetable... The day before we came back, we went to a Chinese restaurant, and I ordered and ate 2 bowls of just vegetables... I am not a vegetarian, but I do consider vegetables to be the main part of the plate, and meat as the accompaniment.

 

Glad to be back. The cold weather was a bit of a shock (yes yes I know, we only moved from 30°C to 18°C for day temperatures... but I got to walk in Shorts and T shirts in Namibia, my favourite choice of clothing.... now it is back to long pants, long sleeve shirts, jackets, warm boots, blankets, and I am still cold....

 

Hope you guys are doing well!?!

  • Appreciation 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
On 5/31/2019 at 4:39 PM, Delta! said:

We are back in Franschhoek. we decided to drive it all in one go. We both feel very "peopled out" like, we just want to be alone with each other for a few days, only have each other for company, and not have to see any one else for a few days. I also feel very "meated out" when it comes to food. Meat has been the main (and sometimes only) thing you would get on a plate with some french fries/chips, which I do not consider a vegetable... The day before we came back, we went to a Chinese restaurant, and I ordered and ate 2 bowls of just vegetables... I am not a vegetarian, but I do consider vegetables to be the main part of the plate, and meat as the accompaniment.

 

Glad to be back. The cold weather was a bit of a shock (yes yes I know, we only moved from 30°C to 18°C for day temperatures... but I got to walk in Shorts and T shirts in Namibia, my favourite choice of clothing.... now it is back to long pants, long sleeve shirts, jackets, warm boots, blankets, and I am still cold....

 

Hope you guys are doing well!?!

lol meeted and meated... ayup... understood! Though its amazing the amount of distance and indulging you had for vacay... it was a super investment and you must have some incredible memories :) How were the inlaws? :devil:  

I can appreciation the kind of "fullness" you were experiencing.  On the last day of his vacation with my family in Los Cabos down in Mexico...by the third or fourth day I was so tired of eating high quality proteins (staying away from the starches) that allI really wanted to eat anymore was dry biscuits, salads and gingerale :lol:  And on the last and final day when they pull out all stops, unlimited lobster, roast beef au jus, the *gasp* parmegana wheel... my tummy was so upset I was begging anyone for a rolaids... and this isnt something I even usually take.  Course...much as you wrote... we all get "meeted out"... and all I really wanted to do was just breathe and take in some air, and just veg out on netflix!

Yes... temp differences? Luckily we bought feather coats with us... easily compactable and they just "sproing" out ... it was snowing after we returned back to Montreal!

:4rofl:

 

gogo

Link to post
  • 3 weeks later...

Thursday was a celebration day here and school made friday school free. So we spend a day at my Mom's place and the town I spend my first 6 years: Wetzlar. Our third has to write about Goethe for a summer holiday project and so we did a little research at Wetzlar. Goethe's 'The Sorrows of young Werther' was inspired by a suicide of one of his Friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Wilhelm_Jerusalem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther

This is the house there Jerusalem suicided. It is now a museum about 'The Sorrows of young Werther'.

1278980160_Jerusalemhaus-Kopie.thumb.jpg.470c6ed22b287174f3110c779c348346.jpg

 

Did the shot a while ago while waiting for my girls to finish shopping.

 

  • Like! 1
Link to post
On 6/22/2019 at 4:53 AM, chattius said:

Thursday was a celebration day here and school made friday school free. So we spend a day at my Mom's place and the town I spend my first 6 years: Wetzlar. Our third has to write about Goethe for a summer holiday project and so we did a little research at Wetzlar. Goethe's 'The Sorrows of young Werther' was inspired by a suicide of one of his Friends.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Wilhelm_Jerusalem

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sorrows_of_Young_Werther

This is the house there Jerusalem suicided. It is now a museum about 'The Sorrows of young Werther'.

1278980160_Jerusalemhaus-Kopie.thumb.jpg.470c6ed22b287174f3110c779c348346.jpg

 

Did the shot a while ago while waiting for my girls to finish shopping.

 

thanks for sharing your day with us Chattius, the picture of those houses is so picturesque... a unique counterpoint to the history you describe

:)

 

gogo

Link to post
18 hours ago, chattius said:

Built up some tents and readying for the evacuation of a nearby village. Some relatives live there and a world war 2 bomb was found. The attempt to disarm will be on sunday morning and needs an evacuation of around 5000 people. So the kids from my cousines will sleep in the tents from saturday to sunday.

https://www.feuerwehr-dillenburg.de/

The evacuation zone. Luckily most of our district is forest.

Bild_Evakuierung_Web_1920.jpg

 

 

I remember that last year the same thing happened in Fossano, very close to me. It was an american bomb of the civil war.

good luck!

Edited by Mare
Link to post
19 hours ago, chattius said:

Built up some tents and readying for the evacuation of a nearby village. Some relatives live there and a world war 2 bomb was found. The attempt to disarm will be on sunday morning and needs an evacuation of around 5000 people. So the kids from my cousines will sleep in the tents from saturday to sunday.

https://www.feuerwehr-dillenburg.de/

The evacuation zone. Luckily most of our district is forest.

Bild_Evakuierung_Web_1920.jpg

 

 

Hoping this turns out well.  Can't even imagine the feelings from a situation like this, and hoping your family and community remains safe

:)

 

gogo

  • Like! 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

Hoping this turns out well.  Can't even imagine the feelings from a situation like this, and hoping your family and community remains safe

:)

 

gogo

Well said; I concur.

:agreed:

Link to post
1 hour ago, chattius said:

Bomb disarmed

Wonder how many more are around.

 

 

Glad that you are all safe. 

That must be something terrifying... finding a bomb from WW2, so many years after the war has ended and lives are still being affected.

I hope that they have all been found and that you can remain calm and peaceful where you live.

 

Link to post

The dangerous ones are the ones which remain hidden and suddenly explode.  Last week in a neighbour district there was an explosion in a field out of nowhere. Tests showed it was a WW2 bomb.

 

  • zomgod! 1
Link to post

We got 44°c at home some days ago, so today I spent the day in mountain, in Val d'Aosta. I stayed in a little village that you can reach only on foot, called Chamois. It's the highest municipality in Europe, and also the highest airport. If I was still a pilot (why haven't I renewed the license :)) I'd love to land there! The weather was good.

:cool:

Link to post

Well it is winter in South Africa now, and I took my Fiance to the airport yesterday so that he can keep on working on the cruise ships... in the bahamas... sunshine, warm weather, sunshine, shorts, sunshine, tshirts, sunshine, sandals and more sunshine.... I would be LOVING that. He is not too excited. 

It is very cold and raining a lot in the Western Cape, even though I am very grateful, considering we need the rain, I do miss the summer heat...

 

I hope you are all doing well!

  • Like! 1
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 4:06 PM, Delta! said:

Well it is winter in South Africa now, and I took my Fiance to the airport yesterday so that he can keep on working on the cruise ships... in the bahamas... sunshine, warm weather, sunshine, shorts, sunshine, tshirts, sunshine, sandals and more sunshine.... I would be LOVING that. He is not too excited. 

It is very cold and raining a lot in the Western Cape, even though I am very grateful, considering we need the rain, I do miss the summer heat...

 

I hope you are all doing well!

ahhh, cruise ship and resort life.  I had a few friends growing up who had great skills like sailing, skiing, golfing and they were able to get amazing jobs at club med in their twenties... they loved that glam life for those years, and the travel is always exquisite, but as you say, it can all dull down.  One of my friends was even a DJ on a cruise ship... insane! :lol:  He loved the job because he'd be basically getting free room and board, and he would come home to all his money nicely deposited and saved up nice and neatly

:)

 

gogo

Link to post
1 hour ago, gogoblender said:

ahhh, cruise ship and resort life.  I had a few friends growing up who had great skills like sailing, skiing, golfing and they were able to get amazing jobs at club med in their twenties... they loved that glam life for those years, and the travel is always exquisite, but as you say, it can all dull down.  One of my friends was even a DJ on a cruise ship... insane! :lol:  He loved the job because he'd be basically getting free room and board, and he would come home to all his money nicely deposited and saved up nice and neatly

:)

 

gogo

 

yeah... he gets to go off to the nice warm, hot and humid weather, and I have to be stuck in cold South Africa... at least I have the Kitty (we call him Kitteh) Piper to keep me "warm" at night... I actually have an electric blanket now, but he does not know that... he thinks that he is the hero to come and save me from the cold while purring like a jet engine...

My Fiance does not mind, but he is not so fond of the cruise ships. He hates being apart. I manage to deal with it better. The house is clean, I do not have to clean up after other people....but I do miss him very much...

Link to post

Last night, I had a dream that I was getting a particular surgery done. When I woke up and got out of bed, I felt a nonexistent stitch pop. So, for a brief few seconds, I felt pain from a nonexistent stitch from a surgery that I had in my mind. The brain's a trippy thing sometimes!! 

Link to post
2 minutes ago, Gilberticus said:

Last night, I had a dream that I was getting a particular surgery done. When I woke up and got out of bed, I felt a nonexistent stitch pop. So, for a brief few seconds, I felt pain from a nonexistent stitch from a surgery that I had in my mind. The brain's a trippy thing sometimes!! 

Owch!

Happy that was a dream, Gilberticus... just dont go Mary Shelley on us y'heeyah?

:D

 

gogo

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...