A ticket for the Blue Islands

Ok guys, this time I'm writing a serious topic .

This story begins in 2006, when I was ten years old. At that time I began to read books and I approached Tolkien's work (of which I then read 32 books !!!). So I started to get interested in the fantasy genre, and I soon came up with a story of my own. Two years later, from 2008 to 2010, I wrote three short novels (if you want to know the plot, simply ask me in a reply) set in an archipelago called the "Blue Islands". I have developed this world perfectly, so much so that I have invented toponyms in the languages of the respective regions, having made dozens of maps in different historical periods, maps of the typical production of the places and the annals of each kingdom and a lot of other things. Last week I found some notes on these novels and I decided to make a very mallet map, joining all the others. So, as you can see in the picture, I started working on it and tomorrow, when I finished it, I will post another photo where you can see the map perfectly and read it. The map is 23 x 33 inches (59 x 84 cm)! It is a very hard work!

Work - in - progress

• Like! 1

The map, as it appears above, is not dissimilar to the map of Middle Earth. A closer inspection of it may prove interesting, indeed.

Yeah, maybe you're in reason.  For the way of drawing it, surely it resembles us (it is a mixture between the style of Tolkien maps and the true maps of 1600 - 1700). Instead the characteristics of the territory do not look like anything, being a group of islands arranged in a circle around that bigger. In addition, a part of the design devised by me are the cities, which I represented with small miniatures instead of the usual dot or square. However, as soon as I have the strength to finish it, I will make a beautiful picture seen from above and I will post it!

:heat:

I will enjoy looking at your "new world" and inspecting its details upon the completion of your draft. Might I inquire as to whether or not this is your first serious endeavor with the art of cartography? I do admire what you have cobbled together thus far.

:thumbsup:

34 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

I will enjoy looking at your "new world" and inspecting its details upon the completion of your draft. Might I inquire as to whether or not this is your first serious endeavor with the art of cartography? I do admire what you have cobbled together thus far.

:thumbsup:

No, this isn't my first approach on cartography, nor the best. But certainly the greatest. Almost everyday I create a table game and the most are RPG, so I make a fantasy-style map for everyone.

:smart:

Your skill rises above that of a craft, for it is a form of art which ushers and conveys emotion and perhaps the sense of and an expectation of adventure.

10 hours ago, Mare said:

Ok guys, this time I'm writing a serious topic .

This story begins in 2006, when I was ten years old. At that time I began to read books and I approached Tolkien's work (of which I then read 32 books !!!). So I started to get interested in the fantasy genre, and I soon came up with a story of my own. Two years later, from 2008 to 2010, I wrote three short novels (if you want to know the plot, simply ask me in a reply) set in an archipelago called the "Blue Islands". I have developed this world perfectly, so much so that I have invented toponyms in the languages of the respective regions, having made dozens of maps in different historical periods, maps of the typical production of the places and the annals of each kingdom and a lot of other things. Last week I found some notes on these novels and I decided to make a very mallet map, joining all the others. So, as you can see in the picture, I started working on it and tomorrow, when I finished it, I will post another photo where you can see the map perfectly and read it. The map is 23 x 33 inches (59 x 84 cm)! It is a very hard work!

Work - in - progress

ITs beautiful!

I'd book a flight out there for a week if possible

any swaying coconut trees and sandy beaches?

:D

gogo

• Like! 1

A great part of the Blue Islands have a temperate climate, but in the southern island of Tare-me there is the huge city of Jaddar, wich is positioned just between a jungle and the sea!

Unfortunately, if you want to reach Jaddar, you have to travel through the Haastland, a terrible desert where lives raiders and the temperature is too hot during the day, and too cold at night. Oh, and also a lot of sandstorms ...

:Just_Cuz_21:

I've just finished the map,  :yay:  but the file is too big to upload direcltly in the post, so you find it at THIS link

It's a photo of the map, so is a bit out of focus  and the light is bad. Make me know your opinion!

:happy:

image.png

• Like! 1

Beautiful.  I love all the map symbols, and names.  I never knew of map creations as a kind of imaginative hobby.

Delightful!

Schot himself loves maps and ever since the second came came out he was fascinated by it.  It took him almost a year to create one of the world's largest online maps (at that time) and he loved adding details, monsters etc...its a classic

http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Map_of_Ancaria

...I can see you have the touch as well

g'donya!

:)

gogo

heh...I can see how this can become so exciting for artists! I actually love looking at pacific desert islands. Or very far points of land  distance from civilization... One of my favorites is the one that Amelia Earhart is supposed supposed to have crashed upon...the jury's still out on that...but...did you see the island:)  like...zomgod, that places like this actually exist! I remember blinking and thinking that it had to be a illustration or something...but not..it's real... and just ... beautifully fantastical.

Nikumaroro

nikumaroro_oli_2014209.jpg

:wizard:

gogo