Smartphones - I start to hate them

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. They can be a real nuisance, but they can also be very useful. I think it is more a case of the idiot using it than the smartphone itself.

My big problem is with BMW cars, they are lovely vehicles, but it seems that 99% or the people that own them are unfit to be driving them! It appears that as soon as they put the car in gear, they put their brains in neutral. They nearly all seem to think that rules don't apply to them and that they own the road and everyone else has a duty to make way for them.

• Thanks! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

I.

Ever bought something online and recognized that the prices are different if you use a smartphone or a desktop?  The algorithms used by online shops consider smartphone users buying quicker and comparing less than desktop users so they try higher prices.

II.

My wife is a doc and she says that more and more kids have problems with their necks. A head is like 10 pounds, Looking down at a 45 degree angle multiplies this weight. The anatomy of humans is still optimized for a distant look for predators in the open savannah. Looking down at the smartphone needs a lot of muscle work especially for a kid. Muscles are not bad, but if you never use the muscles in the opposite direction for a similar time the muscles will stiffen. 

III.

Smombies. Ever did a emergency breaking with a 20ton fire truck because a smombie crosses the street, looking down to the phone while wearing anti-noise headphones. Fire trucks shouldn't have signal horns and flash lights. Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

IV.

Even more evil than a smombie are the ones who block the street at an accident because they are using their smartphone to film the crash and upload the video. Doing a video of helpless or dead people is a crime here, spreading it is the next and blocking access to the scene for emergency vehicles is another one. 

I agree with you, but according to me smartphones are not the problem. The real problem is people who use them in the wrong way. In my opinion, technology is never bad, but it depends on how people use it. 

The goal of the inventor of the phone was making work easier, I think, and not allowing people to film an accident. Nevertheless, there are people who film accidents. So, it's their fault, and not the inventor's.

However, you're completely in reason!

:D

my position is exactly this:

3 hours ago, podgie_bear said:

I'm not sure I agree with you completely. They can be a real nuisance, but they can also be very useful. I think it is more a case of the idiot using it than the smartphone itself.

An electronic device is merely a tool with a multitude of features (apps) that may be used for a seemingly endless array of functions. A "smartphone" has no capacity for reasoning, hence it is necessary for the human operator to use their own wisdom and common sense or face the possible consequences for not doing so.

In my eyes the smartphone is the equivalent to the compact fluorescent lamp. They are better than the thing before. But it would have been better if this generation of tools would have been jumped completly.

Compact fluorescent lamps are hard to recycle, poisonous if broken, …. 

Smartphones are damaging the health of the neck and cause idiotic behaviour. 

All the money spend in developing new smartphones would have been enough to create a data display for one eye and without a camera. Following the new laws in europe doing a foto of a person without asking is a crime. Doing fotos of kids is an absolut Nono. Parents who think that someone is doing a foto of her kids are allowed to ask a policemen to make sure that the person with the camera wasn't doing so. So with a camera in each smartphone and a paranoid mother with a kid around: keep your smartphone in your pocket. police could be interested in your last photos.

13 hours ago, chattius said:

Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

I have to admit this made me laugh out loud to imagine.

On 4/29/2019 at 3:23 AM, chattius said:

I.

Ever bought something online and recognized that the prices are different if you use a smartphone or a desktop?  The algorithms used by online shops consider smartphone users buying quicker and comparing less than desktop users so they try higher prices.

II.

My wife is a doc and she says that more and more kids have problems with their necks. A head is like 10 pounds, Looking down at a 45 degree angle multiplies this weight. The anatomy of humans is still optimized for a distant look for predators in the open savannah. Looking down at the smartphone needs a lot of muscle work especially for a kid. Muscles are not bad, but if you never use the muscles in the opposite direction for a similar time the muscles will stiffen. 

III.

Smombies. Ever did a emergency breaking with a 20ton fire truck because a smombie crosses the street, looking down to the phone while wearing anti-noise headphones. Fire trucks shouldn't have signal horns and flash lights. Sending an electric magnetic high energy pulse 200 metres to the front would be more useful I think.

IV.

Even more evil than a smombie are the ones who block the street at an accident because they are using their smartphone to film the crash and upload the video. Doing a video of helpless or dead people is a crime here, spreading it is the next and blocking access to the scene for emergency vehicles is another one. 

I aggee with you ...and yes we have a right to be terrified..the Day of the Snombies is here!

:oooo:

on a more serious note and what to do about it however... cell phones represent an access to all the past history, knowledge and entertainment the world has ever possessed or indeed can come up with...how can someone not be drawn into their own mirror of electro narcissism?  I believe our concept of "roads" will change. "movement" will change and "cars" will change... that the days of a human having to physicaly move to another geography to procure information or execute a result will change as well..its just a matter of time before  consuming, yes, even the future becomes more tenable than actually physically creating action... one uses less energy less?

the laws of the universe are coming ^^

for a preview...check out this really cool thos with Bruce Willis in a dystopia where noone literally has to ever leave their home anyone..just upload the consciousness into plastic dolls...and see what happens when the net work drops

:lol:

Is this whats coming in one way or another?

I feel... a metaphor

:eek:

gogo

7 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

I aggee with you ...and yes we have a right to be terrified..the Day of the Snombies is here!

:oooo:

on a more serious note and what to do about it however... cell phones represent an access to all the past history, knowledge and entertainment the world has ever possessed or indeed can come up with...how can someone not be drawn into their own mirror of electro narcissism?  I believe our concept of "roads" will change. "movement" will change and "cars" will change... that the days of a human having to physicaly move to another geography to procure information or execute a result will change as well..its just a matter of time before  consuming, yes, even the future becomes more tenable than actually physically creating action... one uses less energy less?

the laws of the universe are coming ^^

for a preview...check out this really cool thos with Bruce Willis in a dystopia where noone literally has to ever leave their home anyone..just upload the consciousness into plastic dolls...and see what happens when the net work drops

:lol:

Is this whats coming in one way or another?

I feel... a metaphor

:eek:

gogo

In my opinion, technology is never wrong. Help people work better. It increases production, and therefore makes people happier and richer. But of course, one must be able to use it. Just think of how easy it is to fall into the trap of fake news. Any intelligent person would not believe. But not everyone is intelligent.

:sob:

X*y=9

x+y=6

calculate 1/(x*(1/y))

My son wrote 1, using his head only. The teacher wrote false. Because the software he used to make the math papers calculated with 2 digits after the '.'

So 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) which is 100 and was on the solution paper printed for the teacher. In old times teacher calculated the exercise given to kids using their brain or pen and paper. Now they are believers. They believe in computers and calculators.

A cavemen needed 8 hours for lunch, hunting and collecting included.

Today we need 8 hours for lunch making, 7 and a half spend in cooking newgroups, watching cooking in TV or talk about cooking with friends ;)

Our oldest bought a John's years ago. She still uses it and says it saves hours each day.  

product_sweet.jpg

3 hours ago, chattius said:

X*y=9

x+y=6

calculate 1/(x*(1/y))

My son wrote 1, using his head only. The teacher wrote false. Because the software he used to make the math papers calculated with 2 digits after the '.'

So 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) which is 100 and was on the solution paper printed for the teacher. In old times teacher calculated the exercise given to kids using their brain or pen and paper. Now they are believers. They believe in computers and calculators.

Do you mean 1/(3*(1/3)) = 1/(3*0.33) = 1/(0.99) = 1.01 if calculated to two decimal places?

I can't see how you could get 100 as an answer, but maybe I'm struggling to do the maths incorrectly...

oops, curse age, mixed two exercises. Was probably dividing by (1-3*(1/3)) and something more complex above.

Have to look when he is back from school.

• Like! 1
14 hours ago, chattius said:

oops, curse age, mixed two exercises. Was probably dividing by (1-3*(1/3)) and something more complex above.

Have to look when he is back from school.

No worries, that makes more sense!!

• Like! 1

Yes, with exact calculation you would divide by zero.  Should have seen that was I typed was nonsense. Becoming a grandpa seems to have mental effects way in advance.

• Sad 1
  • 1 year later...

1392597225_SmombiesHausertorWZ(1von1).thumb.JPG.9573c7da9bd9c52dd001fe639aee86f2.JPG

'They are from my class. I bet even if I stood here undressed they wouldn't notice me. Smombies!!!'

Some years ago: First time I heard the word from my daughter. Did the shot a bit late but still quite okay. It is at Wetzlar, just before the Tower with the old astrolab starts the stairway up to the Wetzlar cathedrale. To the right is the building were Leitz build microscopes and first Leica's. Leitz cameras. 200m further the road we lived till I was 5.

Smombie = Smartphone Zombie

Bompel = Bodenampel (Boden = bottom, Ampel = traffic light)

Frankfurt installed Bompel at accident heavy place some years ago and they went down to zero there. Bompel is also close to Bembel.

Not to mix with Bembel. Bembel is a word everyone in Frankfurt knows because applewine is served in Frankfurt in it.

The stoneware producing motherside of my wife still produces handmade ones.

Apfelwein_Geripptes_Bembel.jpg

I see Smartphones as competing with every single other purchase in our life

Not only have they begun to replace a myriad of devices...but they have begun to replace experiences as well

As dimensional portals to the all-powerful world if ...I n t e r n e t ... I can see their prices one day competing with .. a car?

:blink:

gogo

Well to be fair they are already... I mean what does the Galaxy Fold 2 cost? 2 grand in USD jeezz...  Top of the line iPhone 11 Pro Max is 1500 USD... I think that's before taxes? Here in the Netherlands the pricing is €1900-€2000 for the Fold 2 and the 11 Pro Max runs anywhere between €1200 and €1500. You could find yourself a car for that money for sure...:twitch:

Edited by Timotheus
  • Haha 1

Let's do a simple calculation: two adults, 5 kids, everyone with newest top smartphone - it would be a new car, or even two brandnew Dacia's.

In reality and in the typical 1-2 kids family it's more that the old parents smartphones are used by the kids. But for us it would mean that the youngest would be three smartphone generations behind. Now add covid19 and the need for top technology to run the newest apps schools demand...

And our house is in a Funkloch, near no radio signals there. For the home learning at covid19 we had to build tents on hilltop for the kids.

Funk is radio transmitting and receiving, Loch is a hole. So a place with very limitted or none at all reception of radio signals. Is there an english word? French have zone blanche (white/empty zone).

Tabloids are so much cheaper and versatile at same functions and the only disadvantage is size -which is also an advantage for school needs. We opted for Tabloids and cheap normal outdoor cellular phones for emergencies.

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, chattius said:

Funk is radio transmitting and receiving, Loch is a hole. So a place with very limited or none at all reception of radio signals. Is there an English word? French have zone blanche (white/empty zone).

When I first got my cell phones, I couldn't even get service when inside our house. I got weak, one bar service, if I waved the phone around outside our back door.

After I complained to the service provider, they came up with a cell repeater that hooked into our Internet service. Now we always have full service ... unless the power fails ...

• Like! 1
4 hours ago, Spock said:

When I first got my cell phones, I couldn't even get service when inside our house. I got weak, one bar service, if I waved the phone around outside our back door.

After I complained to the service provider, they came up with a cell repeater that hooked into our Internet service. Now we always have full service ... unless the power fails ...

I know these cell receivers...

But we are not connected to village power, telephon, cable internet or water. And no smartphone access without walking uphill.

Our power is a generator and house heating system based on gasing wood.

Water is a deep well with a filter, waste water runs through wood pellets, and then 4 steps of ponds with special plants.

Phone is an old army system which is connected to an access in village (nailed at trees) and able for talking but only 16000 baud, less than 2kByste/second.

We have a directed highspeed system on a 15metre mast which sends and receives to a mast on firefighter tower. But at home schooling the load was too much when everyone was using video conference streaming.

We have citizen band radio and shortwave transmitters...

• Like! 1