Melee high elf?

Kyosai7

Basically, I really like the high elf character model and origin. I was just wondering how I'd go about maybe swapping one of the skill trees with a melee tree? Or maybe just swap her entire trees wholesale with the Inquisitor or something?

A few points:

• You can play a melee HE by using Magic Coup as your main attack, it works with any weapon and with the modifications Target Focus/Life Leech/Stray Damage you can hit multiple enemies at once and leech life. You can use Shield Lore and Constitution so other than Toughness you're not missing out on much. I get that you'd want several weapon-based CAs, but MC lets you circumvent that by doing multi hits with every type of weapon.
  • There was always talk about letting the HE dual-wield, but the problem is that there are no animations and the graphics would look horrible. It has been talked to death and according to the master modders it's a no go.
  • In the same respect most likely the same will happen if you swap CA tress, the animations won't fit the character's skeleton and movement will look horrible.

My two cents. :wink:

47 minutes ago, Androdion said:

In the same respect most likely the same will happen if you swap CA tress, the animations won't fit the character's skeleton and movement will look horrible

It is true the High Elf can't dual wield unless new animations are created for her.  But weirdly enough this wouldn't necessarily be an issue swapping CA's.  In spells.txt each CA has an animation assigned like so: animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM08",

Since each character has their own individual SM08 (special move 01-20, usually), the combat art would use that character's own particular version.

There is of course the chance that one character's SM08 is a long, buff casting, animation, while another's is a quick weapon swing. So you'd always need to test and assign an appropriate animation to the spell entry.  SM01 is usually a safe bet for a melee hard hit.  ATTACKA is also a surefire one to use if all else fails.

So swapping CA's wouldn't be too bad.  Let's say you wanted to swap out Cobalt Strike  ("he_ar_energieblitz") with Callous Execution ("in_in_verstuemmelung"). 

First, copy Callous Execution's spell entry and edit it in a separate text document.  Then swap in the important parts that tell the game that the spell is Cobalt Strike. Comments on changed lines below:

mgr.defineSpell( "he_ar_energieblitz", {  -- This tells the game this spell is taking Cobalt Strike's place.
    eiStateName = "cGarble",
    fxTypeCast = "",
    fxTypeSpell = "",
    fxTypeCastSpecial = "",
    duration = 0.000000,
    animType = "ANIM_TYPE_SM01",
    animTypeApproach = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
    animTypeRide = "ANIM_TYPE_INVALID",
    animTypeSpecial = "ANIM_TYPE_RIDESM01-SPECIAL",
    causesSpellDamage = 0,
    tokens = {
        entry0 = {"et_duration_sec", 1000, 0, 0, 8 },
        entry1 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 899, 1, 0, 9 },
        entry2 = {"et_baseAW", 200, 250, 0, 5 },
        entry3 = {"et_damage_any_rel", 320, 80, 0, 5 },
        entry4 = {"et_debuff_movespeed", 197, 3, 0, 42 },
        entry5 = {"et_debuff_movespeed", 148, 2, 1, 42 },
        entry6 = {"et_mult_weapondamage", 100, 1, 2, 9 },
        entry7 = {"et_life_leech", 20, 10, 3, 9 },
        entry8 = {"et_chance_stun", 99, 1, 4, 133 },
        entry9 = {"et_weapondamage_fire", 30, 15, 5, 9 },
        entry10 = {"et_chance_doublehit", 99, 1, 6, 5 },
        entry11 = {"et_hurl_enemy", 1, 0, 0, 9 },
    },
    fightDistance = 105.000000,
    aspect = "EA_HE_ARCANE",  -- this assigns it to Delphic Arcania aspect
    cooldown = 0.000000,
    soundProfile = 0,
    cost_level = 175,
    cost_base = 350,
    focus_skill_name = "skill_HE_arcane_focus", -- this assigns the Focus skill
    lore_skill_name = "skill_HE_arcane_lore", -- this assigns the Lore skill, Tactics Lore is also an option
    spellClass = "cSpellSMove",
    spellcontroltype = "eCAtype_a_weapon_attack",
    sorting_rank = 2,
})

Then you would copy the entire modified entry and replace the existing "he_ar_energieblitz" entry in spells.txt

Then you would want to change the text itself to be appropriate.  You'd need to look up the following in a decoded global.res: the spell's name, the rune name, the spell's description, and the 6 modifications.

As a final touch you'd probably want to swap out the icons for the spell and the rune.

• Like! 1

So I guess I could swap out skill trees and stuff, but it'd be a lot of work and probably super buggy. It's also waaaay out of my depth as far as modding goes. I'll work on a Magic Coup build. I have huge nostalgia of this game when I first played it on Xbox 360, I just hate the gender-locking of classes.

On 10/27/2019 at 3:40 AM, Kyosai7 said:

Basically, I really like the high elf character model and origin. I was just wondering how I'd go about maybe swapping one of the skill trees with a melee tree? Or maybe just swap her entire trees wholesale with the Inquisitor or something?

I loved seeing the High Elf in Melee in the servers. Schot used to strictly play Elves that used melee as a base while flitting about the battle field and getting in "chops" .  It's very droll and satisying to see a "magical" class giving almost as good as a warrior can in front of others in an online game.

Enjoy this game and DarkMatters, welcome to the boards!

:)

gogo 

On 10/27/2019 at 10:40 AM, Kyosai7 said:

High elf+magic coup=awesome

watch my video

Spoiler

• Like! 1

I remember from years back that I put a melee elf guide into the german sacred forum. Then I was asked to do a translation for the english forum and then Gogo asked me if I could put the guide into darkmatters too. And all this to a guy who never had any english classes at school ;)

And so it all started with me being here. The guide was before the AddOn, so no regeneration per hit. Also hitting a melee reflektor was certain death, so reflection buffs had to be countered with casting a debuff first. Spamming magic coup was less damage than doing it every 2 seconds. Used a polearm because it was almost the only chance for x% life leech and it had the chance to hit more opponents. And of cause life leech damage was only shown divided by 1000, so people wondered if it was working at all.

Memories ...

• Respect! 1