Diablo IV Time to Play! Clan Name: DarkMattters -> Clan Tag: DarK

I would encourage anyone who does go into the beta this weekend or next to play to at least level 20 on any character so you trigger 2 of the 3 beta rewards (one title and one cosmetic).

(As of 3:40pm Central US time (UTC -6)) So far they are suffering routine beta test problems which of course means the blizz forum is full of spoiled entitled kids whining that they can't log in or about the queue to log in (both of which blizz says is due to authentication server problem that they are fixing but is causing a real bottle neck). Early on, I made it once into the character creation screen. At this point, I'll try every few hours but not going to lose sleep over it. Fingers crossed that I can get a few hours at least tomorrow or Sunday.

EDIT: link to official update on D4 forum about the problem https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/an-update-regarding-queues-and-server-disconnects/913

Edited by masteff
  • zomgod! 1

Attached screenshot shows how open the map really is. It's a nice change (much more like what we had in Sacred). I cropped it and turned off as many markers as I could to reduce risk of spoilers for anyone.

Weekend One of the Beta finally settled down. Blizzard seems to have fixed the sign-in problems and no (or very little) waiting to get in. I expect the open beta next weekend should be smoother. It's free so anyone can join. Only reason I didnt wait was my significant other went to her parents so I had lots of free time this weekend.

D4 beta open map example.jpg

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, masteff said:

Attached screenshot shows how open the map really is. It's a nice change (much more like what we had in Sacred). I cropped it and turned off as many markers as I could to reduce risk of spoilers for anyone.

Weekend One of the Beta finally settled down. Blizzard seems to have fixed the sign-in problems and no (or very little) waiting to get in. I expect the open beta next weekend should be smoother. It's free so anyone can join. Only reason I didnt wait was my significant other went to her parents so I had lots of free time this weekend.

D4 beta open map example.jpg

Thanks for the post Masteff, specially at the cost of all that eating you had to do :lol:

It's a nice looking "open" map...what did you think about the "feel" of this game... were you only playing solo or were others online with you?

:)

gogo

Similar to Diablo Immortal, you start in a solo instance but once you're past the tutorial and early quests, it's a shared instance. In the shared instance, even if not in a party, you share experience w/ anyone close enough. So you may be fighting a mob or elite monster and someone stops and helps, you both get experience. The game has larger events that seem designed to give the best rewards when a larger group of players completes it (ex: kill monsters to cause a champion to spawn and kill it 3 times within a couple minutes).

1 hour ago, Knuckles said:

The feel of combat was fine though I do have to figure out the weapon slots. Not sure how or if they are tied to a skill, or how to change, but didn't look into it too much. The combat felt more "meaty", watching enemies get stunned or knocked back or just being temporarily dazed was cool. I felt strong and kinda bad-arsed when I could just whack on an elite and he could never recover before I whacked him again.

Potions are a bit different. You have to upgrade them instead of just finding bigger versions during leveling up your toon. And you can only hold so many. Barbarian started with 4, the Rogue with 5. Though they do drop fairly often from enemies and even bosses during the fight. Wasn't able to buy any but not sure if that was a beta thing.

If you're on a PC, press the S key to bring up a dialog that you can drag and drop skills from to your bar. Or you can assign them from in the skill tree. It seems to default the first 2 you unlock to left and right mouse; not sure past that.

RE: 4 vs 5 potions... if you played rogue 2nd, then it may have benefited from a world map bonus that your barbarian unlocked (some world map bonuses are per character and some are per account). From the world map, while you have a Fractured Peak zone highlighted, press the W key to view your bonuses.

I'm pretty sure visiting the town healer (heart icon on map) refills your pots.

Potion system made me adjust how I used them. I tried to keep full count and would sometimes wait to heal until a replacement dropped (hit Q to heal and then move so auto-pick grabs it).

Oh, and boss health bars at top of screen have some small red triangles... those note where more pots will drop from them (I think that was new in D:Immortal, been too long since I played D3).

• Like! 1

Thank you for the tips Masteff....had absolutely no idea or even noticed the triangle on boss health bar. I did notice the Healer refilled my potions but since she does offer elixirs and show health pots too, just thought I could buy some. 

I did play a Rogue after getting a Barb to level 20, so it must have been an account bonus he got. Never looked at bonuses during the beta.

I am a bit near sighted now so most of the text is blur unless I have my reading glasses on and my face about a foot from the monitor. Will look into GUI scaling this upcoming beta or just go get some bigger screens (or maybe both)

It does seem the UI is phone based especially the Emote wheel, but not really a an issue for me.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Thank you for the tips Masteff....had absolutely no idea or even noticed the triangle on boss health bar. I did notice the Healer refilled my potions but since she does offer elixirs and show health pots too, just thought I could buy some. 

I did play a Rogue after getting a Barb to level 20, so it must have been an account bonus he got. Never looked at bonuses during the beta.

I am a bit near sighted now so most of the text is blur unless I have my reading glasses on and my face about a foot from the monitor. Will look into GUI scaling this upcoming beta or just go get some bigger screens (or maybe both)

It does seem the UI is phone based especially the Emote wheel, but not really a an issue for me.

Hi kNuckles.. good seein ya Gamah! :hugs:

I never even thought about this game playing on mobile... can it do that? Can we play on PC at home and then just expect it to play though on a mobile

:dance2:

gogo

@lujate

I remember a few times quickly checking out that site, its terrific for builds right ? 

@Timotheus Ill be joining you as a bit of a later comer too with work again clamping down, but the blender is slowly making his way :viking: 
My favorite build ion d3 was the witch doctor.. late build he build became invinicible and was super fun to just drop into weekends with, I hope there's a class or build that's going to offer something like him 

@gogoblender

maxroll puts out many D3 builds every season, so I assume they'll do the same for D4. They put out a full set of class reviews from the D4 press preview in December.

Last weekend, I just confirmed my class impressions. Melee Rogue 1, Sorceress 2, and Barb never. I'll try to give the last two classes a go this weekend (they weren't in the press preview so I haven't seen much solid Info on them).

• Like! 1
48 minutes ago, lujate said:

@gogoblender

maxroll puts out many D3 builds every season, so I assume they'll do the same for D4. They put out a full set of class reviews from the D4 press preview in December.

Last weekend, I just confirmed my class impressions. Melee Rogue 1, Sorceress 2, and Barb never. I'll try to give the last two classes a go this weekend (they weren't in the press preview so I haven't seen much solid Info on them).

Is the melee rogue close combat or ranged?
🙂

gogo

18 hours ago, Knuckles said:

Hey Gogo :)

Yeah it's been a bit since I've been around. Haven't played anything really in the last few years except Rimworld. Tried to get back into D2 and D3 but just couldn't find the desire to play much of them.

I don't think it's porting to mobile, maybe the better word I should have used was console which I know it'll be on. 

I usually go for the big ugly brute types..like the Sacred 2 Shadow Warrior or Diablo's Barb. But I've taken a liking to D4's Rogue, which I'll probably start with unless the Druid blows me away during next Beta. Just glad to be excited about playing Diablo again.

Hey guys … tell me we are all playing open net, right? Lol I don’t know if I have a stomach to stomach hard-core anymore… We are all years older and have to protect our heart..Though I will admit, hard-core is kind of exciting
dang

😄

gogo

I hope you all'll like d4 and wont be disappointed, but the more info I read about it the more im afraid this game won't be for me anymore... Too much stuff to farm, too many ways to go, too many lvls to grind.. :) I doubt ill ever have enough time for this..

I decided to wait for the first sale and play through the main story with 1 or 2 chars.. but end game won't be for me guess im out :(

Btw got to try out the druid up to level 5 or 6 earlier today, guess I played half an hour or so ( might have been more, time flies by) performance was good on my arc a770 which I was most worried about, in that icy starter region  almost stable 60 fps on 4k with that high res pack and everything set to max, without amd fidelityfx super res 2.0

But... Camera is too close for my taste, combat hit feedback is good,just like any diablo before,

Menu/button design feels a bit clunky/off imho, but that I would get used to.. but it just didn't made "click" from the very first minute, like it used to in d3, sacred, or even wolcen... Doesn't mean its because how the game has changed, maybe its the way how I have changed.. not impressed / little underwhelmed after that first hour tho..

Will see if I can make it in-game again tonight or tomorrow, see how it goes..

Im not sure what to think of it just yet..

What about you all, is it a worthy successor, or good /great / average / bad h&s arpg, in general?

For some reason the game that d4 reminded me the most of so far, isnt any of the other diablo games we saw before, but a game called undecember.. no idea tho why..

• Appreciation 1
6 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Hey guys … tell me we are all playing open net, right? Lol I don’t know if I have a stomach to stomach hard-core anymore… We are all years older and have to protect our heart..Though I will admit, hard-core is kind of exciting
dang

😄

gogo

I'm still on the fence, hard-core vs normal.  I still do HC for SP games, but the MMO-esque open world of D4 makes me have second thoughts.

6 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Is the melee rogue close combat or ranged?
🙂

gogo

Rouge can do either.  Don't worry gogo, you'll have your ranged god. :mafia:   Melee is just my preference. 

Just remember that all rogue damage adds your bow and daggers together, so whether you go melee or ranged keep upgrading both.

@Rotluchs

I know what you're saying.  I used to game like a full time job, but that's long gone.  There's supposed to be more than quarterly seasons for D4 endgame (e.g. Nightmare Dungeons).  I'm holding out hope, since seasons aren't for me.  Heck, I'm not sure I can hit max level in 3 months.

• Thanks! 1

for the diablo 4 open beta, do we have to select different servers, like in D3 where there was asia, america & europe, each separated ?

just wondering, if this time around there will be no boundaries...

(and if, how to switch servers, if I want to try to team up, meet & greet someone from abroad..)

I see I still got some of you on my battle net friend list, but also a lot of folks missing / not added yet..

PS: I see I still got my battle net tag listed in my sig, feel free to add, if you'd like to team up this weekend..

no idea if there is an automated party finder / group maker in D4, havent seen one yet,

only the social panel with people from friendlist, and all players from the local instance youre in,

plus an option to create a clan, but no way to look for other players / parties, other than asking in chat or local players if you run into someone.. ?

Edited by Rotluchs
  • Like! 1
11 hours ago, Rotluchs said:

for the diablo 4 open beta, do we have to select different servers, like in D3 where there was asia, america & europe, each separated ?

(and if, how to switch servers, if I want to try to team up, meet & greet someone from abroad..)

I see I still got some of you on my battle net friend list, but also a lot of folks missing / not added yet..

PS: I see I still got my battle net tag listed in my sig, feel free to add, if you'd like to team up this weekend..

no idea if there is an automated party finder / group maker in D4, havent seen one yet,

only the social panel with people from friendlist, and all players from the local instance youre in,

plus an option to create a clan, but no way to look for other players / parties, other than asking in chat or local players if you run into someone.. ?

Rott, we just saw your clan tag... good taste! :D

Request sent!

Im online now with Schot and my cuz..if yer up come join up ye all all else 

:viking:

gogo

10 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Rott, we just saw your clan tag... good taste! :D

Request sent!

Im online now with Schot and my cuz..if yer up come join up ye all all else 

:viking:

gogo

oopsie, got caught ;) yeah couldnt resist :P you found out about it pretty fast hehe..

but, dang, different time zones...

• Haha 1
On 3/25/2023 at 9:32 AM, Rotluchs said:

We were trying to make a darkmatters clan, and the DARK tag, we did a search while in option to make tag and then found you.

I've send a request to join, I guess we can make officers like in D3?
:)

gogo

On 3/25/2023 at 7:44 AM, DocHoff said:

I haven't been this happy with a product since I bought the Pain Remains album. For Lorna Shore fans, I hadn't heard of them until last year. Like around November, my younger brother (who hates black metal) called me up "You like wild and heavy music. On LiquidMetal, I just heard this trilogy of songs called "Pain Remains 1-111"; it'll change ya". And I thought "Yeah, suuuuurrrrreee". I'm 44, and a total music nut, "it'll change ya" is a big claim; I remember the first time I heard "Freebird", "I Stay Away", "Con Te Partiro", "Fade To Black"......... music can definitely change you, but I've heard this so-called "symphonic metal" before, and wasn't really moved. But I bought Pain Remains, and darned if my brother wasn't right. I played that whole album and afterwards sat in silent awe for like 20 minutes. And that was kind of like how D4 made me feel; sitting in silent awe. 

For those of us that look at the above paragraph and just see total gibberish, I can break it down in gamer terms. D4 has brought me out of action rpg retirement. I mean, I spent over thirty years in the belly of the beast; I've climbed the highest peaks, descended into the lowest levels of Hell, and have fought against and alongside every type of angel, demon, cyborg, and alien nightmare I could possibly imagine. I was done, burned out. I retired to No Man's Sky; I was happy sailing through the heavens, cataloging different rocks and critters and junk. Yesterday, before school, my kid told me that there was a new Diablo, and it was in open beta for a few days. I thought "ehhh, I'll try it for like an hour". I was able to log in at around 12:30, and the next thing I know, the kids are in my den "It's 6, dude". Lol, and that's a serious ordeal in my house; with a handful of hungry teens, at 6, there'd better be either dinner better be on the table or a delivery guy en route, lest neighborhood critters start to go missing. 

So...... into the flood again.....

This was the post I need to read and "feel" Thanks DocHoff! Rottluchs has the clan tag with him, as soon as he shares it with one of us we can then share it amongst everyone here. 

That was a great btw, I was in same space as you out of practice with rpg's for a while, but this is going to be a fun time on weekends and maybe some nights, looking forward to meeting you online!

::viking:

gogo

On 3/24/2023 at 5:59 PM, lujate said:

I'm still on the fence, hard-core vs normal.  I still do HC for SP games, but the MMO-esque open world of D4 makes me have second thoughts.

Rouge can do either.  Don't worry gogo, you'll have your ranged god. :mafia:   Melee is just my preference. 

Just remember that all rogue damage adds your bow and daggers together, so whether you go melee or ranged keep upgrading both.

@Rotluchs

I know what you're saying.  I used to game like a full time job, but that's long gone.  There's supposed to be more than quarterly seasons for D4 endgame (e.g. Nightmare Dungeons).  I'm holding out hope, since seasons aren't for me.  Heck, I'm not sure I can hit max level in 3 months.

Rangd FTW ! :dance2: 

I tried the fire Sorc last night, was stressed out for the first few levels, didnt know my way around, but found a guide online on youtube and clicked the dots in where it said, and holeeeeeeeeeeee Whooooooooooooooosh.. fire sorc is out

:pirate:

gogo

• The title was changed to Diablo IV Time to Play! Clan Name: DarkMattters -> Clan Tag: DarK