Sacred Downloads - SACRED RESKINS: DARK GUI

SACRED RESKINS: DARK GUI

View File

Sacred, as I presume, has been released when grungy ornamental designs were "in". I'm no artistic guru but I think, however, that is not the case anymore as sleeker, minimalistic designs are becoming more prominent. Just notice how several brand logos and app icons are now simpler and less 3D-looking. With this, in addition to my love for the GUI aesthetic of the Diablo games I've made Sacred's a little darker and flatter to suit my taste. Attached are the modded and original versions using my BLACK ARCANNA wonderbabe for comparison.

ajCXzQ4.png

q8tMIrm.png

PIPES & ORNAMENTS. Right off the bat, everything is now a darker shade of gray, I.e. almost black, and the skill and inventory backgrounds were turned Black & White. I didn't remove the curves and vines but tried to make them less visible instead.
WEAPON & SKILL SLOTS. Inactive and active slots were turned Black & Gold, respectively.
BUTTONS. All the Blue icons are now White.

1342993996_DARKGUI.jpg.81f4ca5449a3b075133e9cbd9999bd25.jpg

POTION INDICATORS. They are now bigger using the image of a Diablo 2 endgame staple, the Full Rejuvenation Potion, as base.
HEALTH METER. Turned less "glassy" and is now a darker shade of red. All bars below it such as horse stats and XP were also made a bit darker.
CLOCK. Clock frame has been reverted to a B&W version of an older style.
COMBO ICONS. There are a total of 8 combo icons from the texture files. I've replaced 2 to something I liked better and have also made them Black because the Blue and Yellow isn't doing it for me. Combo window background also turned violet.

eUMaIuy.png

OPTIONS. Options screen, as well as the PAUSE menu and the LOAD/SAVE GAME screens among others, were also given the same treatment leaving the buttons gold or in their original colors.

pqIUbMf.png

LOADING SCREEN. I got tired of the Wood Elf so I used the Dark Elf one and also got tired of him, but alas, no other character has been given bigger images like them so I custom made my own for all 8 from the journal portraits.

BONUS. Since were already on the matter here are some tips I've learned so far for those who are very new to the game. I've been in your shoes (maybe I still am) and figured it would've been nice if I knew these earlier:

TIP 1. The Dark Elf image is loading1.bmp inside the PAK folder. You could just back up the WE one and duplicate and rename the DE one as mentioned above to loading0.BMP (screen upon app launch). You can also do the same to replace the circular metal plate for the loadgame & savegame BMPs.

TIP 2. I've read somewhere that to permanently skip the intro cinematics you just have to rename or cut & paste somewhere else the files "ascaron.wmv" and "oem.wmv"

INSTALLATION. Copy and paste the unzipped files to the PAK folder inside your Sacred Directory. Backup original ones as needed.

HAPPY GAMING!

• Like! 1
On 11/7/2019 at 12:27 AM, Flix said:

Thanks for the latest creation. I think I will use these on my current playthrough.

Happy to help :agreed: and thank you too!

On 11/7/2019 at 6:20 PM, Dax said:

Very nice work! As always.
Short question: Do you have access to the inventory icons? Jewelry really could use a freshup.

Thanks Dax! I have found them but the thing about items is you only get to edit the in-game appearance.as you see it worn by your toon. As you edit, the icons change as if it's a mini-screenshot of the actual item. I actually am in the process of making stuff for my seraphim but still needs some work and I'm not too confident in sharing it since I trimmed most of them so armors for example are mini tube tops occupying 6 inventory slots -- would be quite disorienting for most. I'll think abt it

Ah, ok. I see. Sounds like extra work. Who said that life´s easy.

Errm, I uploaded a modified loading screen if you´re interested. You´re free to grab and include it

into your own mod.

PS:

Do you know how I upgrade my uploads? Just made a second screen, but I haven´t found out how

to get the job done and I don´t want to create a second download just for that new screen.

• Like! 1
5 minutes ago, Flix said:

Quick question: How are you extracting the files from the pak files to edit them?

Oh my I am afraid to answer are you going to send me to jail now?  :sweating: Funny thing is I was actually searching here on the forums when I wasn't  a member yet and to no avail have found nothing. The closest I got was info saying I needed something like a PAK extractor of sorts and after several attempts I got one from YouTube which I use now.

8 minutes ago, Dax said:

Ah, ok. I see. Sounds like extra work. Who said that life´s easy.

Errm, I uploaded a modified loading screen if you´re interested. You´re free to grab and include it

into your own mod.

PS:

Do you know how I upgrade my uploads? Just made a second screen, but I haven´t found out how

to get the job done and I don´t want to create a second download just for that new screen.

I actually downloaded it since I was very curious on how you upgraded it. I was running low on creative juice when I made mine and I'd probably change it anyway when I get tired of it.

You can browse the Downloads tab and search for your submission. At the bottom you'll see a button which reads File Actions then choose upload new version. what you'll get is a space for description and the other existing details you already have. Just add your file, edit the version number as you please then add a short description that says you added something.

I have ideas on how I want them to look but since I reckon it would be more or less as painstaking as the items since there's alot of them, I'm considering of not doing them as of yet and just settle with the original ones in the meantime. I think I'm already editing long enough that I actually want to finish the game at least once before I make another mod :lol:

35 minutes ago, Ysendra said:

Oh my I am afraid to answer are you going to send me to jail now?

Of course not lol. I am the #1 proponent of getting mod tools out there for the public and cracking open the game files.  I was just wondering how you did it, if I wanted to dabble in Sacred 1 modding.  Now I know I can search for a pak extractor.  :)

Ysendra can you do me a favor?

I want to replace the background image of Sacreds savegame section.
Currently, I got access to the main menu, which is under construction
at this very moment, and the options menu. For some reason I can´t
locate the savegame section´s background image.
The image should be split into 12 parts. If you got the time to look
into it, I´d be very grateful.

PS:
I don´t need the files itself, their names are more than enough to
get the job done.

23 hours ago, Ysendra said:

With your unmatched level of sorcery for mods I know you'll whip up something that will breathe life back to S1. Have fun modding!

Thanks so much! It seems to work great. If only they were sorted into folders like Sacred 2. It's a lot to search through.

I'm already putting together a sort of "Inferno" theme with black and red elements.  I may to try undo the extreme transparency of the UI as well.

794384848_SacredReborn2019-11-0921-54-43-79.thumb.jpg.dc3e706bae6ddad4423d0db3d1fa7d03.jpg

One other thing I noticed all the GUI files marked "OLD" which must be from the original game before the Underworld expansion.  It seems to be mostly gold entwined with green leaves.  Might be nice to try to put that back together as package for those who'd like to play the game with the original UI. 

• Like! 1
On 11/10/2019 at 12:24 AM, Dax said:

PS:
get the job done.

I'll try but I can make no promises since there's literally thousands of textures. Sometimes it actually takes me hours to days of just scouring hehe I'll go check and update you if I find them.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Flix said:

Thanks so much! It seems to work great. If only they were sorted into folders like Sacred 2. It's a lot to search through.

I'm already putting together a sort of "Inferno" theme with black and red elements.  I may to try undo the extreme transparency of the UI as well.

794384848_SacredReborn2019-11-0921-54-43-79.thumb.jpg.dc3e706bae6ddad4423d0db3d1fa7d03.jpg

One other thing I noticed all the GUI files marked "OLD" which must be from the original game before the Underworld expansion.  It seems to be mostly gold entwined with green leaves.  Might be nice to try to put that back together as package for those who'd like to play the game with the original UI. 

I know it really shows that the game was finished in quite a short amount of time. They just dumped everything inside one folder. but its fine as long as it works right?

This theme you have, you really brought forth an Underworld feel to it. Neat :cool: I see you have removed the ornaments on the inventory and skills background as well. I haven't thought of the transparency though. I agree with the darker, less transparent one. It would make things less distracting I think

On 11/10/2019 at 10:46 AM, Flix said:

I've been thinking on the kind of art I'm trying to make and also the ones I want to try to create for Sacred Mods and have come to the conclusion that art, like food, doesn't always need to be compared from one another -- like this one is the best, this one is popular and this one's old. They just need to be in the hands of the person who could appreciate them the most and/or use at the right time. Like say I'd use your inferno one for fire based builds and the old vine-y one say for a wood elf or a poison daemon. Also, I agree that other people might like it too since I presume there's that added nostalgia for them. Thanks for the idea!

On 11/10/2019 at 12:24 AM, Dax said:

PS:
get the job done.

Found it! You're in luck my friend :D Search for UW_OPTION_01 up to _12. The quicksave slot also uses different texture files. If you already have a theme in mind you could edit it as well to match the overall look. Just search for 2 files: UI_SL_QUICKSAVE1 and 2. Have fun!

• Thanks! 1

Ysendra, you should get a medal!

Yes, I got a theme in mind. It will blend with your mod like a charm, but please be patient with me. It will take a while

to stitch everything together.

EDIT:

I plan to darken the main menu, reduce it to dark grey/black, combined with golden colors. Gave it a quick try, it looks not bad.

The options menu will turn into an obsidian colored background filled with amethyst-crystals, and the savegame folder´s background

will become a top down view of a spiral galaxy with the Sacred symbol in the middle. The difference is, all stars & dirt- and gas clouds

will be removed and the spiral arms shall be filled entirely with an endless stream of blood, skulls and bones, slowly rotating around the

center, the Sacred logo.

Main Menu is a bit tricky, Galaxy and Options menu are a piece of cake.

Edited by Dax
  • Like! 1

A litte update I´d like to share. I just finished an early prototype of the blood-galaxy and believe me, it will be a very, very nice piece of work when it´s done.

There´s a lot of fine tuning to do, I´m working like crazy, but I can´t stop. It´s so much fun and even in this very early stage it looks absolutely stunning.

Evil, dominant, triumphant in the end! Hell yeah. It will be my best work!

Expect a screenshot at the end of the week.

• Like! 1
On 11/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, Dax said:

Ysendra, you should get a medal!

Yes, I got a theme in mind. It will blend with your mod like a charm, but please be patient with me. It will take a while

to stitch everything together.

EDIT:

I plan to darken the main menu, reduce it to dark grey/black, combined with golden colors. Gave it a quick try, it looks not bad.

The options menu will turn into an obsidian colored background filled with amethyst-crystals, and the savegame folder´s background

will become a top down view of a spiral galaxy with the Sacred symbol in the middle. The difference is, all stars & dirt- and gas clouds

will be removed and the spiral arms shall be filled entirely with an endless stream of blood, skulls and bones, slowly rotating around the

center, the Sacred logo.

Main Menu is a bit tricky, Galaxy and Options menu are a piece of cake.

That sounds awesome! Thanks for matching it with the theme I had in mind. Now, I'm anticipating HEHE:oooo: you take your time, make sure you're really satisfied with what you make. It's also about the artist having fun while making it :agreed: I'm also editing stuff and might release them in a week or within a few days. Good luck to both of us!

11 hours ago, Flix said:

If we end up with enough distinct ideas it might be a good idea to collect them all into an interface skins pack the way I did with Sacred 2. That way a player could easily apply whichever one they preferred over their game.

This would be a really nice feature. It would make everything easier for new members who would navigate the site to download something for S1. I've come up with some ideas on how to tweak and recolor the item mods I made so making specialized UIs could be a little smoother.  I'm just editing my mods in sequence and will release them perhaps in batches. I may also refer to your inferno UI in the process of recoloring. The Reds appealed to me in a way.

• Like! 1

The use of overrides is always a bit tricky. The new stuff might fit the makers taste, but not necessarily the
user´s taste.
It personally think it´s better to seperate overrides by type, including a collection of old<->new screenshots,
so that the player decides on his own which content makes it to his *.pak folder.

Edited by Dax
1 hour ago, Dax said:

Good news! I got the options menu ready.  Well, Ysendra, what do you say?

options menu new.png

DAANG! (wait can I say that here? :sweating:) I'm here for it! :bounce: Quite dark and also exudes a forbidden forest vibe. And that splash of violet! You really did a great job here @Dax I commend you! Also just a heads up I'm uploading a set of old UI+screens for those who might want to experience them again but I'm gonna use our creations anyway :thumbsup:

• Like! 1

Ah, too much praise! It´s just a single screen and it was fun making it. But I´m
glad you like it!

Well, let´s see who´s next.
Shall we rework the combat arts, if our current projects are done? The colors
don´t fit anymore. They feel so old and outdated.