Problem installing Linux

Bondbug

No not Amiga this time but something more up to date. I ask here because I am more likely to get help than on the normal tech help sites which normally hand out advuce based on american stuff an rarely corresponds to my installation.
So I have been wasting all my free time for 3 days trying to get Linux installed in a dual (triple in fact) set up with Windows 8.1. I followed tutorial stuff by English contriutors, and managed to get a booting up plug in done.  I managed to find out that the PC (!!!!don(t laugh too loud you may hurt yourselves) is a 64 whereas the laptop I started trying to install on is a 32. I had trouble with BIOS on the laptop and eventually switched  to the PC, where I managed to get the plug in to work. That took nearly 2 days, a lot of frustration and bad language. Note my highly technical jargon....and I am just coming to the point.

I have 4 partitions on my PC, one for W8.1, one for general data, one for XPPro which I still use to access old musical scripting, and 1 of 125Gb now cleared and ready for Linux

So I got the Linux demo up and clicked on Install Linux Mint, 19.3 in this case. But when I got to the crucial point where a dialog box should have said approx "we have detected  the installation of W8.1" and then offered a set of installation options which included "Install Linux Mint alongside Windows....", what I actually got was "This computer has no detected operating systems" and the "install alongside" option was missing. Brick wall. 

Any suggestions or kindly comments to enable Linux to detect the operating systems already there, and offer the needed installation option. Perhaps it objects to being part of a 3some:) I will eventually delete W8.1 but can't do it just yet

There was also a little note in the corner of the screen "this computer has only 64mb of disc space remaining". Extraordinary in the circumstances but PCs are full of nonsense, even though this one was overhauled and cleaned up a couple of days ago.

Sorry Gogo, I always did rattle on too much. OK I could have said it all in a tenth of the space..........

I normally don't use the partition tools from windows or linux installs. Parted Magic (not free version has a nice rescue for shot partitions) or Gparted (free- using a live linux) can be put on an autoboot DVD or stick. So there is no operating system using the harddisc running when working on the partitions. Windows8 is tricky. If you shut down and have activated quickstart- actual data is not really written as files on the disc but in a from of compressed quickstart data. If you then use another OS using the Windows8-disc data may be corrupted.

https://gparted.sourceforge.io/index.php

Tipps are hard from a distance because multiboot installation can fail because of not using newest firmware updates, or just because of the opposite - you use newest firmware and the installation did fail to detect it, cheap graphic cards use same name product number as professional ones but having a cheaper chip, ...

What normally works for me: first install Windows, then Linux on a partition you build or reserved for it. Reboot using a Linux live version of the installation stick/dvd. Mount the partition with linux on it. Reinstall 'grub' with the addresses to the linux installation.

Because of job I multiboot windows and real-time-unix variants. But the order should be the same.

The problem is that I cannot install Linux on my main PC as dual with W8.1.The Linux install does not recognise the presence of W8 and therefore does not offer the option to install alongside it for dual booting.

I am also trying to install Linx 19 for dual booting on my laptop following a tutorial guide on youtube for that make of laptop. In this case I can open the BIOS but it does not offer the option of a usb boot. So there again I am blocked.

Try to type 'windows'-key and 'R'. In the pushup window type the command 'msinfo32'. This lists the system information. At my system there is a line 'Bios-Mode' which says how the Windows partition is recognized and started. Newer computers should read UEFI. In case it reads UEFI you can only install 64bit OS.

I really cannot understand what is happening here. I have two correctly created starter usb, one for 32 bit, one for 64bit. I am using them on the relevant computers, but neither is responding correctly, one refusing to recognise the presence of Windows, the other which ignores the BIOS1st boot priority..

Please will someone pass the sledgehammer:help:

Seems my real time Linux/Unix installs differently. I had first to make a partition for the install. Then I installed on it (other operating systems were not recognized at this process). After Installationi had to use the install DVD again, this time as a Live dvd to create the multiloader. Never had Linux Mint, but I had to do it this way for every boot option. Old Master Boot Records or new UEFI, ... old 32bit  or new 64bit variants, the order for my system was always the same.