Corona Virus - COVID 19

3 hours ago, Daedalus said:

I am not making a reference to a game ... though the game in question is clearly part of the reference ;) 

But you might know that already :D 

However, if you want a spoiler, I am going to give it to you by PM ;)

EDIT: Voilà !! Done, spoiler sent by PM ;)

EXACTEMENT ! :evil:

NON MAIS ALORS !

• Like! 1
11 hours ago, chattius said:

Yes, before you had a talk with friends if you met them at a shop. Now you look at each other and greet with a nod and all conversation is raising shoulders and raising hands upside up in a way to say: what should I say, stupid situation.

In the village we keep distance, but lot of talking. People are allowed to leave village for buying food, hygiene articles, medicine and fuel. But we limited this to just me early before shops open for whole village.  Walking in nature is allowed for families, groups up to 2 and with keeping distance.

New:

Pool testing

Company will pay for repeated pool tests for all embloyees. Much like JPEG compressing. You take a larger group of people, mix their probes and do a single test on the mixed probe. If the test is negative, the whole group is free of covid19. If the test is positive, finer testing has to be done. First pool tests currently at Frankfurt are with 5-8 people and it seems to work. There are not enough tests possible currently and this would boost testing a lot.

Another repeated pool test for family because wife is a doc who cares for old people. Currently it was just my wife with a single test. With a pool test for family our second as student in medicine could take the easy cases in village.

I hope for the first testing thursday and the results on friday.

Et oui Minou !!

That's the way !

That's the way you're gonna be! :whistle:

Mama said ! Aahh!

Mama said, that's the way you're gonna stay..! :whistle::whistle:

• Like! 1

A week ago I posted that making everyone wearing a mask (no need for a medical one,selfmade, biker/snowboard mask, shawl, ...) in public could significantly reduce the number of infections. Now after a week experts say the same, lost week. They allways said not good enough to protect yourself, but it seems they totally overlooked the indirect protection: less virus particles in the air.

I was saying that if an infected would infect 5 others because he is not knowing that he is infected, and only 4 because he was forced to wear something before the mouth it will reduce infections in a very big way.

In Germany we would need 5 to the 11th power to reach herde immunity.

5**11 is something like 48millions.

4**11 however is only 4 millions

We would win around 2-3 weeks if biker masks would be the only thing done. But luckily everything done to flatten the curve multiplies.

Keeping distance (reducing say 40%), masks/shawls (reducing say 20%) ...,

(0,6*0,8*5)**11 = 2.4**11 = 15thousand

social distancing alone in the same time: 177thousand

Numbers are examples, noone has exact data yet. But the more even easy things done to flatten the curve multiplay and have a real big impact.

15thousands if masks and social distancing would have started right away. Probably small enough for test and trace the contacts and do quarantine for only a small number.  Of cause no politicians will do a law if only a handful is infected. But people can do it on themself the next time, if they survive this one.

---

3 Days ago my newest 3D printed design for a work mask has a plastic part covering whole face and a 30cm pipe like a snorkle with a particle filter from fabric. My weird idea is: I am tall, virus drops are heavier than air, so adding 30 cms in height could bring the air I inhale from way saver regions.

Best: Noone at work shows any symptoms yet, can still produce special metal for medical things.

• Like! 1
17 hours ago, chattius said:

A week ago I posted that making everyone wearing a mask (no need for a medical one,selfmade, biker/snowboard mask, shawl, ...) in public could significantly reduce the number of infections.

Ha! You'd love the enterprising gentleman my husband overheard talking to his friend at Walmart the other day. This gentleman was explaining to his friend how he'd made his very fancy mask out of his wife's bra cup :)

7 hours ago, ~Night.Wolfe~ said:

Ha! You'd love the enterprising gentleman my husband overheard talking to his friend at Walmart the other day. This gentleman was explaining to his friend how he'd made his very fancy mask out of his wife's bra cup :)

:eek:

:4rofl:

gogo

Kind of sad that the only places "safe" to go into when we have to get necessities  now are the pharmacy ... (LOVE this place... there's a security guard in here, the have amped up their food carry and he gives you an interview plus makes you wash your hands before entering... good stuff!)  and the bakery with Jewish goods a block from me... this place is special! I can get my milk from them and have been securing two at a time... and at four pm when I finish my first work shift, if we run down we can secure FRESH, hot from the oven boiled, then baked Montreal Bagesl... soooo delicious they are like hot croissants in side ... Keeeyummbo!

:dance2:

gogo

I would add the store for farm supply. Wheat for hens, barley for horses by 100 pound bags, herbs and plants, sugar beet sirup in buckets, ...

We have quails. We use to do bruised wheat for them. You place a apparat on a big bucket, fill in some wheat or other corn, adjust the size and form you want as a result, rotate the lever and you get bruised grain

Bruised grain can be used for bread baking, bruised barley (close to pearl barley) for a really good soup, ...

At the shop: I press the horn, owner sees me, open barrage, I drive in, load all on unimog, scan the prices , send them and leave. Every quarter year I pay.

61YXRUJGnYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, chattius said:

I would add the store for farm supply. Wheat for hens, barley for horses by 100 pound bags, herbs and plants, sugar beet sirup in buckets, ...

We have quails. We use to do bruised wheat for them. You place a apparat on a big bucket, fill in some wheat or other corn, adjust the size and form you want as a result, rotate the lever and you get bruised grain

Bruised grain can be used for bread baking, bruised barley (close to pearl barley) for a really good soup, ...

At the shop: I press the horn, owner sees me, open barrage, I drive in, load all on unimog, scan the prices , send them and leave. Every quarter year I pay.

61YXRUJGnYL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Glorious chattius 🙌 it’s at times like this I envy the locale of your family and my cousin in the country!

😋

gogo

Results are there: none at work and family is infected. So time to spend some blood. Guess it will be needed if more and more are infected and disqualified as blood spenders.

3 hours ago, Dax said:

An interesting tool indeed! :tongue2:

l;ol!

You just put it in perspective now for me with that pic  from Fargo...just about one of the best movies with series around. Crispy and gruesome... chattius, with stuff like this lying around, no need to worry about what to do with apocalypse zombies when they coming around lookin for food

:lol:

gogo

There is a small difference between a wood chipper for zombies and a roller grinder for grain ;)

What I would probably use against a single Zombie: The weapon which gave us Germans the name, a ger.

Probably more useful than the Francisca/Franka (throwing axe) which was namegiver for France

Or the Sax (long single blade knife) of the Saxons

I have two Saufedern (boar spears) at home. Nowadays the Saufeder is the knife like tip, together with a pole for more reach it is named Ger.

The Saufeder is used at situations you are not allowed to shoot. Mainly boars injured by a car, but not dead and threatening people on street.

Mine are likes these, a bit longer blade. Can be packed easily and is a dagger or become a short thrusting spear or a lance if needed to keep distance.

SP-SF10_3-141x300.jpg

SP-SF10_2.jpg

• Like! 1
2 hours ago, chattius said:

There is a small difference between a wood chipper for zombies and a roller grinder for grain ;)

What I would probably use against a single Zombie: The weapon which gave us Germans the name, a ger.

Probably more useful than the Francisca/Franka (throwing axe) which was namegiver for France

Or the Sax (long single blade knife) of the Saxons

I have two Saufedern (boar spears) at home. Nowadays the Saufeder is the knife like tip, together with a pole for more reach it is named Ger.

The Saufeder is used at situations you are not allowed to shoot. Mainly boars injured by a car, but not dead and threatening people on street.

Mine are likes these, a bit longer blade. Can be packed easily and is a dagger or become a short thrusting spear or a lance if needed to keep distance.

SP-SF10_3-141x300.jpg

SP-SF10_2.jpg

It is not the weapon which may be dangerous, but the guy who is behind it :viking:

Each of them can be useful according circumstance, space around you and distance. And of course the skill and will of the bearer :paladin:

1 hour ago, Jayce said:

It is not the weapon which may be dangerous, but the guy who is behind it :viking:

Each of them can be useful according circumstance, space around you and distance. And of course the skill and will of the bearer :paladin:

I did old style modern pentathlon before I got drafted: rapid fire pistol shooting and fencing. Fencing was a against all, first hit counts. Left handed and long reach, made the points there I needed for my not so good running and riding.

But we all know that a piercing weapon is of no use against zombies.

I learned some variants of bojitsu as a student, one was to use a yari. Still doing some of the exercises for relaxing, but with a staff. A bit capoeira because daughters like the mix of dancing and self defense. Our third likes fencing and I train a bit with her.

So a Saufeder would probably be my first choose to fight a zombie if I had one at hand ;)

---

Speaking about capoeira. Wednesday a teacher from my nephew and niece (twins) visited to talk about learning without visiting school. He arrived late afternoon when the kids had tambourines and two were training capoeira in the ring. Teacher smiled and said: I see sport and music homework is not needed. How about maths and physics. I said I have still a teaching license for this. Biology: wife is a doc. English: Our au-pair girl from NZL is kinda trapped here. ...

He noticed that cell phones were no option and internet bandwidth not enough for video conferences for all the kids, mine and the ones from my brother.

He said that the rest of the class of my nephew would propably do video conference school after breaks, but he would understand that my brother and his wife would prefer to not have the kids at home, both working in high risk jobs. He left a big pack of papers with exercises, just in case.

hi everyone!

Love the energy here, but just a reminder that in our TOS rules for post we dont really allow too much political discussion on the boards here at DarkMatters...

We are the best Sacred gaming forum in the world! 

:superman:

... please keep this topic Darkmatters style and nice and warm and friendly :heart: 

... maybe bring up personal or family experience with what's happening in the world for you ? :friends3:

Cheers guys and thanks for understanding me !

:hugs:

gogo

Folding@home is a distributed computing project for performing molecular dynamics simulations of protein dynamics. Its initial focus was on protein folding but has shifted to more biomedical problems, such as Alzheimer's disease, cancer, COVID-19, and Ebola. The project uses the idle processing resources of personal computers owned by volunteers who have installed the software on their systems.

https://foldingathome.org/

Just sharing this here. I know the contribution of each person won't move mountains, but if enough people get together we can make a difference.

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, lujate said:

Just sharing this here. I know the contribution of each person won't move mountains, but if enough people get together we can make a difference.

This is awesome Lujate! I'd actually first read about this a few years ago ... donating spare computer power to energize massive projects.  Wish I had the computer to help for this... coming soon!

:dance2:

gogo

We got this amazing letter yesterday from our CEO... acknowledging the danger of having to go into the office  (i'm remote since last year) and saying that depending on where our employees are, whether stores, installations, or office, they will give Danger (Hazard) pay... just wow

... Rogers (they own Fido) has consistently kept this ball rolling and keeps all our efforts acknowledged .. Yah hours are rough these days, but it feels good that you're playing with a good team.  My heart goes out to every single person on front line, and I keep meeting them in convos while taking calls... they are scared but brave people.

:gogo:

gogo

15 hours ago, lujate said:

Interesting, indeed.

Are they in touch with performing laboratories, hospitals and scientists?

I've read that yes. Hence they could have probably helped them into finding the resolution of the "issue" :whistle:here

:bob:

3 minutes ago, Jayce said:

Interesting, indeed.

Are they in touch with performing laboratories, hospitals and scientists?

I've read that yes. Hence they could have probably helped them into finding the resolution of the "issue" :whistle:here

:bob:

How is your family Jayce

are you safe where you are?  Are you able to work from home?

:)

gogo

8 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

How is your family Jayce

are you safe where you are?  Are you able to work from home?

gogo

I am safe Gogo, thanks for your concern. And working from home for 2 weeks.

I cross fingers for the rest of my family scattered here and there.

Wishing you the same :)

7 minutes ago, Jayce said:

I am safe Gogo, thanks for your concern. And working from home for 2 weeks.

I cross fingers for the rest of my family scattered here and there.

Wishing you the same :)

Great to hear! I deal with so many people over the phone trying to find solutions for them. Many of them are laid off or completely jobless.  So grateful that I'm still working and great seeing that youre well at home as well! Are you getting to like it, seeing this as something more permanent?

gogo

1 minute ago, gogoblender said:

Great to hear! I deal with so many people over the phone trying to find solutions for them. Many of them are laid off or completely jobless.  So grateful that I'm still working and great seeing that youre well at home as well! Are you getting to like it, seeing this as something more permanent?

gogo

Unfortunately I am not in touch with so many people next to me here. However everybody is taking care of themselves and their family. They do not need anyone else involving in their lives, although they are helpful in case of need.

As you probably know Poland is a very modest country in terms of economy. Rate of poverty is still high though huge improvements were done for the last 10 years.

It is always interesting to observe that those with the less ways carry on the more. Better examples are in Romania, Hungaria, Slovakia, etc...

Miłego weekendu :)

Soooooo... I have not really updated anyone about the Situation in South Africa that much.

We are also in Lockdown. Most people have to stay home, except for essential services and fortunately I am in a position that is seen as "essential". The kitchen where I work now has a deli/butchery/shop attached to it. We bake fresh breads daily, we sell fresh fruit and vegetables, meats(very important in South Africa), raw ingredients, as well as freezer meals (we prepare the Lasagna, bobotie, cottage pie, quiche, cakes, tarts, mousse, ice cream, salads, etc) and you go eat it at home. As well as baked things like rusks, cookies, biscuits etc that has a long shelf life and can be part of a meal or snack.

I am very great full for the chance to keep working. I get 2 meals a day at work, it keeps me busy and they are still paying me. We did close 2 bistro's, the taproom, and "Die Kraal"(a farm style restaurant that is only open Friday-Sundays for lunch). So a lot of staff was forced to take leave with pay cuts (including the ones still working) and if you where unhappy with that, well then that is your resignation. The good thing is that if you took your leave time, you will still have a job when the lockdown is over. but since I started beginning of March, I did not have leave time yet, and they did not want to have to fire me, they really want me to stay on. so I was the first one to get offered the chance to keep working. We used to be 18-21 in the kitchen per day, we are now only 6 kitchen staff (including the head chef) on the roster for this time period, so sometimes we are only 3 people in the whole kitchen for the day. Shifts are mostly 07:00 - 16:00 for me, unless the lady managing the bakery is off, then I work 03:00 - 12:00(yes, 03:00 in the morning) to bake the breads. The roads are so quiet... it is actually great being on the road!

• Like! 1
1 hour ago, Delta! said:

Soooooo... I have not really updated anyone about the Situation in South Africa that much.

We are also in Lockdown. Most people have to stay home, except for essential services and fortunately I am in a position that is seen as "essential". The kitchen where I work now has a deli/butchery/shop attached to it. We bake fresh breads daily, we sell fresh fruit and vegetables, meats(very important in South Africa), raw ingredients, as well as freezer meals (we prepare the Lasagna, bobotie, cottage pie, quiche, cakes, tarts, mousse, ice cream, salads, etc) and you go eat it at home. As well as baked things like rusks, cookies, biscuits etc that has a long shelf life and can be part of a meal or snack.

I am very great full for the chance to keep working. I get 2 meals a day at work, it keeps me busy and they are still paying me. We did close 2 bistro's, the taproom, and "Die Kraal"(a farm style restaurant that is only open Friday-Sundays for lunch). So a lot of staff was forced to take leave with pay cuts (including the ones still working) and if you where unhappy with that, well then that is your resignation. The good thing is that if you took your leave time, you will still have a job when the lockdown is over. but since I started beginning of March, I did not have leave time yet, and they did not want to have to fire me, they really want me to stay on. so I was the first one to get offered the chance to keep working. We used to be 18-21 in the kitchen per day, we are now only 6 kitchen staff (including the head chef) on the roster for this time period, so sometimes we are only 3 people in the whole kitchen for the day. Shifts are mostly 07:00 - 16:00 for me, unless the lady managing the bakery is off, then I work 03:00 - 12:00(yes, 03:00 in the morning) to bake the breads. The roads are so quiet... it is actually great being on the road!

Theuns! Thanks for sharing what its' like there...awesome that your restaurant has been able to find itself in a place where to provide services.  I can feel how tiring it must be...but I also get you being grateful for the employment...That's awesome that you were able to preserve your hours and employment... this is your talent keeping you going!

gogo