Corona Virus - COVID 19

The rescue for menkind comes from a ....... worm?!?

Now they are trying blood from lug worms to fight heavy covid19 infections. Lug worm blood can store way more oxygen than human blood. First tries in France. Last time I was at the Wattenmeer (Wadden Sea) with the family the guide dug out the big worms (Wattwurm in german) and gave them to the small kids to hold them. Because they live in the intertidal zone they live in selfmade holes to store some water for breathing at low tide. Seems this is the reason scientists considered them as a try, they adopted to low oxygen water by having more oxygen storage in their blood at high tide.

Hiking the Wadden Sea is, hmm different. When I was at a naval air base the first years before moving to airbase firefighters and explosive disarming we often had to fly to the Wadden Sea to rescue people surprised by high tide. I went there agaon 5 years back with my family when visiting a friend.

• Like! 1
On 4/4/2020 at 12:05 PM, Jayce said:

Interesting, indeed.

Are they in touch with performing laboratories, hospitals and scientists?

I've read that yes. Hence they could have probably helped them into finding the resolution of the "issue" :whistle:here

:bob:

Last time I looked, my PC was working on a task for Stanford Medical.

9 hours ago, lujate said:

Last time I looked, my PC was working on a task for Stanford Medical.

Same here. The noise is bothering me though while I'm trying  tot get my work done on my laptop, sitting right next to it... 

16 hours ago, chattius said:

The rescue for menkind comes from a ....... worm?!?

Now they are trying blood from lug worms to fight heavy covid19 infections. Lug worm blood can store way more oxygen than human blood. First tries in France. Last time I was at the Wattenmeer (Wadden Sea) with the family the guide dug out the big worms (Wattwurm in german) and gave them to the small kids to hold them. Because they live in the intertidal zone they live in selfmade holes to store some water for breathing at low tide. Seems this is the reason scientists considered them as a try, they adopted to low oxygen water by having more oxygen storage in their blood at high tide.

Hiking the Wadden Sea is, hmm different. When I was at a naval air base the first years before moving to airbase firefighters and explosive disarming we often had to fly to the Wadden Sea to rescue people surprised by high tide. I went there agaon 5 years back with my family when visiting a friend.

Its like all these small parts of nature giving up big seccrets... always been like lately how I keep reading about biologists all head off to hidden remote places to find plants or biologicals with "secrets"

Anyone remember that horror movie called Anaconda... and that flower of immoertality?

:oooo:

gogo

On 4/7/2020 at 5:58 AM, gogoblender said:

guys can this program work on a laptop while im sleeping? or does it need a very high powerful graphics card ?

:)

gogo

Data scientists love their GPUs as much as gamers do.  But like Timotheus said, it will make do with what your laptop has.

• Like! 1

Keep distance, stay healthy

Hard to do it if the normally lonely countryroad I use with my bike to reach work is suddenly crowded by town people ....

Yesterday 7pm

Distanz.JPG.c1130ae1aa4e0843af4202a2b27b0ad1.JPG

21 minutes ago, chattius said:

Keep distance, stay healthy

Hard to do it if the normally lonely countryroad I use with my bike to reach work is suddenly crowded by town people ....

Yesterday 7pm

Distanz.JPG.c1130ae1aa4e0843af4202a2b27b0ad1.JPG

ha Chattius I know what you mean!..It seems like everytime i want to get on a less busy side of the road, everyone just swarms me! :4rofl: ... staying safe and isolated sometimes feels like I'm running escape maneuvers!

:lol:

gogo

Hard to believe it, but smombies are an endangered species now in towns, too much fear to run into an infected. But as soon as they consider themself save they fall back in old habits. Walking without looking and listening mid on a road. They didn't notice my far from silent bike till I was 5 metres behind and pressed the horn.

Who if not smombies do a walk in nature and don't use all senses: seeing the blossoms, smelling them in the air, listening to birds, ...

They could as good have walked on a secondary, there are not much cars nowadays.

• Haha 1

Distance needed

to a person slowly walking in a supermarket: at least 1.5metres

to a person which is in panic and walks and breaths quickly: 5 metres

to a jogger or other person doing sport on your path: 20 metres

1.5 metres is only if virus particles have time to sink down. At jogging turbulence air is produced. Turbulences make big virus particles break in smaller ones. Smaller particles need way more time to sink down. Jogger and bicycle drivers who are used to use the slipstream at their sports should know that the slipstream keeps small particles for a long time in the air.

Two Joggers should run parallel with 1.5 metres distance and not one behind the other.

53077876_303.jpg

• Like! 1

And ... apparently Montreal this week is our "plateauing ? "  They are still waiting a bit before opening up retail...but construction and some other services are opening up around the Province... Boy do I miss sitting in a room a with a of my family and seeing their awesome faces!

:heart:

gogo

Nearly 6 weeks that I created this thread. So it is time to lay back and think about good or bad decisions made by my own, thinking about decisions made by some politicians drives me crazy.

Buying the light weight car for our third:

completly right decision. Even she drove to school only once. The place of our house is not allowing to use all nets for cell phones and internet is a directed radio link to next antenna with a fast net. So not enough bandwidth for all. Opposite side of hill has the cell phone antennas. So the lightweight car is mainly used by the kids to drive uphill for internet and cell phone. But also used to deliver food to old people, bringing organ and cither to village for some sunday singing...

If school starts again: Countryside is not town. 90% of all passengers in train or bus are schoolkids. The bus and trains were crowded and if school starts it will be impossible to keep distance. So the main reason for the car is still valid if school opens again.

Bringing our older kids with family or boyfriend, the kids from my brother to us:

Way more right than no. Big yes for more social contacts, fun, ... A light no is that we have an early drought and water is a problem. We are not connected to the public water system and use our own well. So make there a 17000 Euro for a used firefighter truck with a big water tank to bring 15000 litres of water two times a week to our place.

Easy Masks and shawls:

Experts now say better to use them. So the old ladies sewing them had something to do and had a good feeling helping others. I would say yes, was right to do own masks weeks before politicians told us to wear them at work.

Supermarket visits by just me for village:

Covid19 case visited the supermarket. So probably right decision. All stuff for village prepared on palettes and picking them up before market opened for public.

Bringing my mother and my parents in law to a nearby house in a forest clearing:

They planed to book places at a home for seniors so we wouldn't have to care for them in case of a real lockdown. The planed home for seniors has reported cases of covid19 deaths. Hope you can imagine my sigh of relief for this decision. Was long time worried because at the senior home they would have had more possible activities. But my father in law is happy because he can repair an vintage car and my mother in law and my mother have lot of garden area to care for. Also the kids can visit, after negative covid tests with contact. Will change if school starts.

Stocks:

Placed the money from my out paid life insurance into stocks start of the years. Big yes, sold troublesome and bought medical ones at the right moments. Half of the truck paid.

Ordering tons of material for 3D printers at work:

Masks, able to make replacement parts for our machines on our own,... Our second uses the 3D printers to help stroke patients... breadroll holder and cutter, tool to do up buttons on a blouse, ... Not the artificial limbs she is studying, but 3d printer is 3D printer and learning which movements are still possible is useful for artificial limbs too. So her university told her to protocol what she is doing, may give points for practical work.

Wouldn't have said this 5 years before: but in our nowadays world a 3D printer is as useful as a swiss pocketknife. Right decision.

Medical equipment or airplane parts:

Our company is small and we had a splitted production of special metals - with like 40% medical, 30% airplane and 30% kitchen tools. We changed to 70% medical and 30% kitchen. If this was right.... only time can tell in a year or so.

Watching the clear sky and seeing not a single plane... I hope for the best and that our company will survive this decision.

1 hour ago, Androdion said:

There's talk left and right about reopening, but so far there aren't any specific measures regarding that. It's a waiting game at this point to be honest.

In germany it is: shops up to 800square metres are allowed to open. With one customer per 20 square metre. They want to avoid too big amounts of people. Unanswered is: if several shops share a building, what is the difference to the same building with all shops in it having the same owner?

XXX women fashion, YYY men fashion, ZZZ kid fashion in same building,using same entrance hall would be allowed: but not if it is AAA women fashion, AAA men fashion and AAA kid fashion. Seems a bit strange and unfair.

Hairdressers are allowed to open start of may.  Should I really go back in my hairstyle to pre-corona? I like my long hair and beard. Feel like way younger and a pirate.

Schools: first only kids in her last class at school, 4 of mine changed school/university last year so not affecting us. Will stay at home for some weeks more.

Plateau reached it seems, but everyone fears that the covid19 curve is like the alpes: lot of peaks and plateaus.

And Canada or Portugal are not Germany: surrounded at all directions by other countries. No citizen with a clear mind from Portugal or Canada will visit the only other country on the other side of the border right now, or?

The border situation is valid, but we're a country that relies a lot on tourism. So we're pretty much a passing point in terms of people from many nationalities. Plus there's the mentality of vacation being abroad, and a lot of the companies here already have workers travelling abroad to places as far as Japan (which is on the other side of the world). So it's not as airtight as it seems. We're also typically an emigrant's nation, another issue there. There was a heavy exodus-like behaviour from emigrants when the country went into lockdown, and a lot of infections were due to that.

I don't know, it's soon to tell. Right now and for the next couple of weeks the situation remains the same. After that who knows...

• Like! 1

We had the biggest laugh in c-times yesterday evening when my wife performed 'Sweet Child of Mine' as leadsinger of our family band. Was a quick improvisation after watching 'Sweet Child of Mine' on youtube. Went like this:

Danny: I think I can do the sax, dad can you do the bass tuba?

Dad=me: Yes, wife can you sing?

Wife: Yes. Kids get your instruments. I will search my Dirndl.

That's the reason our video will be under closure for 25 years: it was a bit short and narrow at important bodyparts bought 4 kids back.

We found out that there is a less known version with electric guitars and a male singer... but this is the version we covered, more or less, we had cither and tambourines and some more instruments, 18 if I counted correct, but no guitars  ;)

• Appreciation 1
On 4/17/2020 at 2:51 PM, Androdion said:

Plus there's the mentality of vacation being abroad,

I was thinking about what you said here.  It echos some sentiment I've been reading on some posts across the net... that maybe its time we chilled a little on overseas travelling and turned that inner eye actually inwards and take a look at whats up and close to us.  I know for my family traveling abroad comes innately.. We have a whole ton of family in Sri Lanka and in some other countries around the world.  I was actually thinking of asking my family this year to consider something at least in Canada which would be less costly.  Family's getting older though, and they are becoming Beach seekers

:lol:

gogo

Monday I ordered 20 helmets for electricians and they arrived at work today. Must be that they are labeled: helmet with a visor protecting from high voltage sparks and not helmet with a spit protection visor.

Anyhow better than nothing for my wife and kids in case running out of the normal materials.

elektrikerhelm_04.jpg

7 hours ago, chattius said:

Monday I ordered 20 helmets for electricians and they arrived at work today. Must be that they are labeled: helmet with a visor protecting from high voltage sparks and not helmet with a spit protection visor.

Anyhow better than nothing for my wife and kids in case running out of the normal materials.

elektrikerhelm_04.jpg

Ahh, I've seen those spit protector visors and apparently they're great with delivery safety.  My brother who is a manager in a drug store out west has to keep operating during these times as essential services provider and he ordered two  for his staff

gogo

4 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Ahh, I've seen those spit protector visors and apparently they're great with delivery safety.  My brother who is a manager in a drug store out west has to keep operating during these times as essential services provider and he ordered two  for his staff

gogo

Yes, but spit protectors were sold out, electrician helmets were not.  Which was kinda strange.

We were running a training with the twins. Sprayed an invisible colour liquid on the helmet and they had to remove the helmet without having colour in their face. It is mainly thought for the time the school starts and virus particle can arrive from above. Sitting in a train or bus and new passengers move when searching a place. So we thought they could be useful to protect the eyes from particles hitting them.

Love your Elizzy. Same 3 wheel base as my old Bondbug. A pig to drive on snowy roads with that single front wheel sliding around between the wheel tracks, and being so low you get an interesting (and blinding) waterfall effect when the heavy goods go by in wet weather. But ah such fun.

As for good old Corona, it  seems that  2/3 of parents here in France are not happy to have their kids back to school in May. As for us, the main threat seems to come from the packaging when we do the weekly shop.

But the garden is getting to be oh so tidy looking and it at least seems healthy.

• Like! 1

Corona Virus - COVID 19

Bondbug replied to chattius's topic in The Daily Grind: Real life right here!

Love your Elizzy. Same 3 wheel base as my old Bondbug. A pig to drive on snowy roads with that single front wheel sliding around between the wheel tracks, and being so low you get an interesting (and blinding) waterfall effect when the heavy goods go by in wet weather. But ah such fun. As for...

I saw this in condensed view but not in this thread. Was the post just when forum software was reworked?

Lockdown prevented buying the E-Lizzy. We bought a thirdhand french (Aixam) 4-wheel lightweight pickup with a diesel engine just a few days before borders closed. It is in good use, our third was allowed to make the driving license with 15 years instead 16 for a light weight car/tractor because nearly no public transports at our place.

About school re-opening: The fact is that the schools have not enough room for the kids if they are forced to keep distance. So actually schools are not unhappy if I say that we will keep our kids at home for a little more. There are some teachers with high health risk who will do online teaching. They send the homework and stuff which have to be learned for next tests and we will do the education at home. They just have interrogation tests the next mont. Then we will see again.

The kids of my brother are at our place because he and his wife work at a hospital. My brother normally is administrator at a bank but now works at a hospital so the administrator there who is trained in computer tomography too can assists the docs.

My wife prefers the kids at home too because 50+% of her patients are old people and she wants to lower infection risk for her patients.

I bet my math training was way more fun as that in school: I was teaching ellipses by making herb beds in an elliptical shape.

Two poles, a rope and a stick --- old gardener trick to do ellipses. We stopped mid in work for some math about ellipses, some biology about the herbs we plant, some sport training with using garden tools, ...

• Like! 1