Corona Virus - COVID 19

7 minutes ago, chattius said:

I saw this in condensed view but not in this thread. Was the post just when forum software was reworked?

When we were updating last night, it was taking a while for the topics queue to be processed ... I'm to see it here now... Bondbug could have been forever Lost in Translation

:D

gogo

This means no airtravel for 2 years.

America won't accept documents from non american health experts. Europe would accept papers from american experts but sees none.

I can live with it, the skies are so clear and blue these days. We live near a radio beam for a flight path towards Frankfurt. Planes change their direction in our area drawing crazy patterns in the sky. But I really prefer it blue and clear.

I'm starting to see that its not only the "now" thats so terrifying and painful for many of us, but there's going to be lasting repercussions for years.  No flying for two years?

:eek:

gogo

And... for the first time in WEEKS... i gotta admit... im so over cooking... and my soul cries out for fast food... hello A & W to the rescue! You have to order online ...but you can actually go and pick it up in their vestibule... good job guys!

:bounce:

gogo

IMG_2923.jpg

IMG_2924.jpg

Darkmatters was way ahead of politicians:

Today the health pages of the government say: avoid too many visits at supermarkets. Avoid wasting food. Do a plan what you want to eat next weeks. Use what you already have. Use leftovers.

Then: Best way to do it is to use left overs from the day before and add a component.

• Haha 1

We hoped that at least the kids would be quite save. Now they report above average cases with kids below 5 suffering from Kawasaki disease. It might be related to corona.

''The cause is unknown. It may be due to an infection triggering an autoimmune response in those who are genetically predisposed. Kawasaki does not spread between people.''

• zomgod! 1

And so ..it happens..just today the STM (our public transport service) has just issued emails with "strong recommendation" to wear face masks on transport ..its not mandatory yet...but if i do go on I can see myself at least carrying one in my pocket for easy access

:oooo:

gogo

For a week now in our state it reads: in shops and public transport you have to wear something that covers mouth and nose and lowers the spreading of particles. Shawls are allowed. Also you should have 1,5 metres distance to others at these places. The bus driver sits behind a plastic protection.

So in buses he can't sell tickets and you enter without control for a ticket. However you should have one in case of an accident or a control. For our village this means: You have to get beamed to the next ticket automat in district capital. There you can buy a ticket for a day. Beam yourself back to village, enter the bus with the valid ticket.

So the question is: Would the crew of Starship Enterprise need a mask when getting beamed in the times of corona?

Our second had her first medical diagnosis solved: while doing exercises with a stroke patient she noticed that his wife seems to have feaver. The wife was wearing a bandage at the lower arm and said she hurt herself when moving oleander into the sun. Removing the bandage it was obvious that there was a blood poisoning. My wife said early enough and that it could be handled locally.

Yah , chattius i was just reading today how it's become mandatory in Germany?   Its making me nervous to actually have some on hand if that goes mandatory here as well.  

:wacko:

gogo

2 bandanas and two hair ties are enough for a stylish face protection that fits law. You don't really need the second bandana but as our au-pair says: it looks more stylish and adds protection. The second is worn like a normal bandana on top of the head to suppress long girlie hair flying in front of the face. You really shouldn't use your hands on your face to move it away, so better don't have it flying around first. The second bandana can be made into a mask with help of two hair ties. It looks best if both bandanas are the same. In the case of our au-pair the bandanas are the flag of New Zealand.

How to make a mask - hair ties are more ear friendly than the rubber used here:

• Like! 1

Here one customer per 20 square-metres shop ground is allowed.

Hairdressers are finally opened again. A call and I was told I have to wait 4 weeks. Probably I will look like Tom Hanks in Castaway then. Have to read the manual of the haircutter I think. 22mm on top, 12 to the sides and a big hat to cover the attempts. But with my luck, hats will be sold out too.

A bit worried yesterday because my cousine has a broken rib. Nothing dangerous, but she has a horse stall. People from big cities pay her to have their horses at her place. Feeding, moving, medical checks, horse shoes, .... Most of them are old, bought young for teenage daughters and the former daughters have left university and work now in Frankfurt and visit their old horses on weekends - if time or corona allows it.

So family  played cowgirls and -boys yesterday and at afternoon were riding the horses to one of our empty fields with fruit trees. I was emptying an old field stall as shelter and putting up an electric fence. Obviously the horses are happy because of fresh green gras after a rain. So I bet tomorrow the younger kids will do some riding.

269744724_Gule-1.thumb.JPG.894057c7faf27bce6e6f5f88e62e9991.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 7:37 PM, chattius said:

Here one customer per 20 square-metres shop ground is allowed.

Hairdressers are finally opened again. A call and I was told I have to wait 4 weeks. Probably I will look like Tom Hanks in Castaway then. Have to read the manual of the haircutter I think. 22mm on top, 12 to the sides and a big hat to cover the attempts. But with my luck, hats will be sold out too.

A bit worried yesterday because my cousine has a broken rib. Nothing dangerous, but she has a horse stall. People from big cities pay her to have their horses at her place. Feeding, moving, medical checks, horse shoes, .... Most of them are old, bought young for teenage daughters and the former daughters have left university and work now in Frankfurt and visit their old horses on weekends - if time or corona allows it.

So family  played cowgirls and -boys yesterday and at afternoon were riding the horses to one of our empty fields with fruit trees. I was emptying an old field stall as shelter and putting up an electric fence. Obviously the horses are happy because of fresh green gras after a rain. So I bet tomorrow the younger kids will do some riding.

269744724_Gule-1.thumb.JPG.894057c7faf27bce6e6f5f88e62e9991.JPG

That's an awesome picture.

3 hours ago, chattius said:

While normal face protections are available everywhere now we had a special request from our secretary at work. Her sister is deaf and needs lip reading...

We added a holder for a transparant plastic piece into the mask frames we printed. So we have a big, straight and transparent plastic before the lips. The old ladies in our village sewed the rest. We gave 5 to our secretary, one for her and 4 for the family of her sister. Probably much more are needed, because the sister has to give the special ones to her docs, people she has to speak too, ... My wife asked for some too because 2 patients are lip readers.

We discussed using fresnel lenses for the transparent plastic part but I hate to give them to people who do not know how they work. may result in burns or fires if they are worn or lay in the sun. But if they are wanted it is just exchanging the plastic part which is removable for mask washing.

Fresnel lenses would have the advantage to keep more distance, but you have to look more direct to the lip reader. Kids laughed when I was demostrating one with Fresnel.

If you don't know Fresnel lenses: Fresnel lens would have an effect like this, just only for the area around lips ;)

One of the ladies asked for one of the big lenses for sewing and reading ;)

54_3.jpg

Gehoerloser-Mann-mit-spezieller-Maske_im

This is a very informative post... never knew that about those lenses...helpful... and a bit amusing 

:D

gogo

12 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Welcome to the forums Zett!

This be me home

:cow:

gogo

Thanks. I've been playing Sacred 1 again since COVID started. Rather game than commute in traffic, right?

@gogo

Fresnel lenses are nearly everywhere;

I have some as bookmarks with a build in lens

as a 5*3 inches oval foil on the front window of my car, wide angle effect to see the traffic lights if I am first car in the row (I am vrey tall and I else have to do acrobatics to see the lights being below the car roof

a bigger fresnel on the rear window of the van to see things close to the rear

my mother has a fresnel foil on her sunglasses to see close things

the car lights have them per design

the foto camera has one above the moving mirror

The emergency pack has a rolled one for fire making, food heating, ....

@Zettt

Last time I used IRC was at university, two decades ago. Had to compile the sourcecode for some extras for the SUN workstations. Main use was sending TeX files for maths and friday evening discussions about glider flying events.

Actually chattius was my irc nick. My older sister is named Katja but the name was in use. So I did a joke saying she should choose Chattia. Chattii were the tribe which lived in Hesse. She said nice name, a mix of her own prename, the state and to chat.

So when I was first in IRC I was lazy and did Chattius...

On 5/2/2020 at 8:54 PM, gogoblender said:

Yah , chattius I was just reading today how it's become mandatory in Germany?   Its making me nervous to actually have some on hand if that goes mandatory here as well.  

:wacko:

gogo

We have had masks mandatory here in South Africa since end of March/beginning of April. at first some people thought nothing about it, till they realized they are not allowed to enter supermarkets, malls, pharmacies, any where else where you need to buy "essentials".

South Africa has now moved to stage 4 of lock down, so a few more kind of stores are allowed to open, restaurant and bars/clubs, as well as wine farms are still closed... we are not allowed to drive very far from home and you need Government approval to go to work. Our work at least applied for all of us that was asked to stay on, only 5 staff in a kitchen that usually has like +-18 people on a shift... we are only preparing food for the Shop to sell, baking fresh breads everyday, a few desserts and candies, ice creams, cookies, biscuits, rusks, and freezer to oven meals, some savoury snacks and easy meals, pies, etc. Obviously food is not allowed to be consumed on the premises. they must go home to eat there or go and sit in the car to eat the purchased food...

• Like! 1
12 minutes ago, Delta! said:

We have had masks mandatory here in South Africa since end of March/beginning of April. at first some people thought nothing about it, till they realized they are not allowed to enter supermarkets, malls, pharmacies, any where else where you need to buy "essentials".

South Africa has now moved to stage 4 of lock down, so a few more kind of stores are allowed to open, restaurant and bars/clubs, as well as wine farms are still closed... we are not allowed to drive very far from home and you need Government approval to go to work. Our work at least applied for all of us that was asked to stay on, only 5 staff in a kitchen that usually has like +-18 people on a shift... we are only preparing food for the Shop to sell, baking fresh breads everyday, a few desserts and candies, ice creams, cookies, biscuits, rusks, and freezer to oven meals, some savoury snacks and easy meals, pies, etc. Obviously food is not allowed to be consumed on the premises. they must go home to eat there or go and sit in the car to eat the purchased food...

Also South African here. Hi!

• Like! 1