Corona Virus - COVID 19

I would say do what your insurance wants. The Covid app is only as useful as the number of people voluntarily using it. The take up for using a similar app in this country has been abysmal with more people not using it than those that do. Since you may com into contact with far more people not using it that using it then how useful is it really? Whereas the smartphone that your insurance wants you to use is going to be useful to you for more than a single reason and does not depend on other people using it to do what it is designed to do to make it useful.

What I fear is that the corona-app might become mandatory to join meetings or happenings.

I think in Germany the majority of smartphone user with a smartphone allowing the app have it installed. The problem are the many many smartphones still in use which not not allow an installation.

I think in Germany 16millions have it installed. 50millions smartphone were sold which could support it. But these 50millions are not necessarly 50million people.

Currently I am considering a Caterpillar CAT S61

It has a infrared camera and it has a laser distance meter. So by opening the phone I could perhaps power up the laser and calibrate the infrared to body temperature. So you check approaching people with the thermal sensor and fire into their eyes with the laser in case they have feaver and don't react to a warning shout.

The practical use of a gas sensor for fighting corona is not clear to me yet. But I may be creative.

Jokes byside, the gas sensor and the thermal camera would be useful for my job. The laser distance meter more for work on and in the house.

20 hours ago, chattius said:

What I fear is that the corona-app might become mandatory to join meetings or happenings.

I think in Germany the majority of smartphone user with a smartphone allowing the app have it installed. The problem are the many many smartphones still in use which not not allow an installation.

I think in Germany 16millions have it installed. 50millions smartphone were sold which could support it. But these 50millions are not necessarly 50million people.

Currently I am considering a Caterpillar CAT S61

It has a infrared camera and it has a laser distance meter. So by opening the phone I could perhaps power up the laser and calibrate the infrared to body temperature. So you check approaching people with the thermal sensor and fire into their eyes with the laser in case they have feaver and don't react to a warning shout.

The practical use of a gas sensor for fighting corona is not clear to me yet. But I may be creative.

Jokes byside, the gas sensor and the thermal camera would be useful for my job. The laser distance meter more for work on and in the house.

I've heard and read a bit about that app.  Not much can get me paranoid, but...this is a kind of spooky way of getting people used to have another entity know almost...everything?

I know one day in our far far future it will probably, as referenced in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days The light of Other Days... one of my favorite reads about how, when someone invents the world's first portable worm hole, theyre all able to see the past and in fact...everything ...the world changed

Enter Smart phone

:blink:

gogo

Don't know for other countries. For Germany the app was done by German Telecom, SAP, Fraunhofer institute, Helmholtz institute and some others.

I know a mathematician who studied with me and worked on the app. At least for the german one I fear corona way way more... I would have no fears if the guy from Fraunhofer wouldn't have copied my homeworks at university ;)

Here it works like: your smartphone stores all contacts with other users and loads positive tests from a central server from time to time - no upload.  If a person is tested positive his control-id  is put on the central server. then others are informed at the next download about the infection.

Known problems:

People who have another time zone set, be it back from a travel or international working groups...

When meeting a person with high probability to being infected you are not informed right away, only after a delay because of real time information would be against data protection laws.

Even in European community, each country has its own, most often incombatible, app

Any of you having experience with the new kind of masks which can kill virus particles?

The virus has a negative electric loaded hull and by having a mask which is positive loaded the virus stucks, exchanging electrons and this may make the hull crumbling. Triiodes, copper and others are used, none of them is liked by my wife. In Switzerland (Livinguard) they use something else with better effects.

Again; the virus killing is not 100% and so the new masks are mainly useful in giving more protection to self and others than normal masks. But they may help in bringing the infection number R to under 1.

• 1 month later...

School start for the younger three with masks, open windows, same class for all (maths, languages, art, ....) while university for the older two is still just online.

I once was able to swap languages in seconds. Now I need minutes to think in English while French is as fast as normal. 

I notice for myself that I do harder and harder in finishing my guide for D2F. The reason is not suffering from Alzheimer or covid19. With Brexit we have no longer any need to speak english at work. Most sales are with german and french companies now. We had an AuPair from NewZealand till end of July and so there was still a bit english speaking mainly with Federal Foreign Office and NZL embassy the last 2 months for a save return. Now there is no english speaking anymore in my life.

Last week Federal Foreign Office phoned if we were able and interested to have another AuPair 'girl' for a year in covid19 times. Seems there are countries which demand a foreign year for embassy schools and there are more students than foreign places who will take them. We said yes, but also that the student should know that we live countryside. Japan, Russia, Argentina seem to be the most probable candidates.

12 hours ago, chattius said:

School start for the younger three with masks, open windows, same class for all (maths, languages, art, ....) while university for the older two is still just online.

I once was able to swap languages in seconds. Now I need minutes to think in English while French is as fast as normal. 

I notice for myself that I do harder and harder in finishing my guide for D2F. The reason is not suffering from Alzheimer or covid19. With Brexit we have no longer any need to speak english at work. Most sales are with german and french companies now. We had an AuPair from NewZealand till end of July and so there was still a bit english speaking mainly with Federal Foreign Office and NZL embassy the last 2 months for a save return. Now there is no english speaking anymore in my life.

Last week Federal Foreign Office phoned if we were able and interested to have another AuPair 'girl' for a year in covid19 times. Seems there are countries which demand a foreign year for embassy schools and there are more students than foreign places who will take them. We said yes, but also that the student should know that we live countryside. Japan, Russia, Argentina seem to be the most probable candidates.

It must be a tense time for you Chattius.  My cousin with their small child is also facing back to school woes, back to school or keep him home... Its kind of striking that the youngest are allowed to go back... does this mean that they are less at risk than others ... this is fact?

gogo

They say: students and universities are a no go because they are based on lessons in lecture auditoriums with changing classes.

Oldest is doing arboristic and could do all the practical work at trees because it was outdoors with lot of distance. The theoretical part is online. So she is loosing no time. Her husband is doing his practical part atour company. We are no bridge builders, we work with explosives, but his university says they accept it under covid19 conditions because building a bridge and destroying a bridge need nearly the same calculations.

Our second is doing medicine and robotics second semester and was allowed to do practical work at the praxis of my wife as assistant.

At school they do classes with always the same teacher, same class be it maths or languages, open windows, masks, always the same place for each kid, .... But the biggest problem are overfilled busses and trains. And a bigger problem busses from countryside need one hour to reach school with 30 stops on one way. That's why I bought the light weight car for our third (special request to allow her driving it with 15). A week later was the shutdown of schools. (First post in this thread was about planing to buy a light weight car, long ago)

Our third managed to use the car to get a boy friend. On first day at school her seat neighbour was waiting at the bus stop and she asked us if she could take him home with her car. He is living two villages before our house but would have 50 minutes with the bus. She said the risk that he catches an infection in the bus and then infecting her would be higher than taking him to school and home with her car. Also it saves a lot of time because even the car can only do 45km/h legally it is half the time than with the bus with all the stops. And she could speak french with him to learn speaking it, and they could discuss music on the way to school or home, ...

Hard to argument against, clever girl.

4 schools in district have covid19 cases this week. What drives me crazy: there is just one teacher attached to a half-class (9-13 kids to reduce persons in a room). He is educating just this half-class and he is the only teacher for this half class. So with one positive-tested child, why are there 13 kids and 6 teachers in quarantine? Are the teachers taking their pauses in a room for all teachers? Kids do their pauses in the open and teachers share a room?

Our third says the teachers at her school build a big pavillon in the open for controlling the pauses, discussing with other teachers and smoking (if addicted). The twins are lucky(?). Their 63year old teacher had tubercolosis and is in a risk group . He had it as a child and so the school reactivated a tiny nearby village school just for him and his half-class. Most of this half-class was in our 'summer-camp' so they knew each other and - very important - the parents know each other and trust each other. Takes away at least the worries for the twins.

• Sad 1
18 hours ago, chattius said:

4 schools in district have covid19 cases this week. What drives me crazy: there is just one teacher attached to a half-class (9-13 kids to reduce persons in a room). He is educating just this half-class and he is the only teacher for this half class. So with one positive-tested child, why are there 13 kids and 6 teachers in quarantine? Are the teachers taking their pauses in a room for all teachers? Kids do their pauses in the open and teachers share a room?

Our third says the teachers at her school build a big pavillon in the open for controlling the pauses, discussing with other teachers and smoking (if addicted). The twins are lucky(?). Their 63year old teacher had tubercolosis and is in a risk group . He had it as a child and so the school reactivated a tiny nearby village school just for him and his half-class. Most of this half-class was in our 'summer-camp' so they knew each other and - very important - the parents know each other and trust each other. Takes away at least the worries for the twins.

Its just as messy here in Quebec.  Its our first day back at school for school kids... and so many are on the sides with taking or not taking their kids to school. This is going to be a long fall entry, and I'm hoping there's lots of patience and love to go ground

:heart:

gogo

I told our third that I trust her common sense and if she thinks it is to much risk because of idiots at school she is allowed to leave school right away and we support her.

Schools in South Africa was closed, then half opened for certain years, half the class would attend on Mondays and Wednesday the other half would attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with the teachers moving between classes and the students remaining in their class. Then schools closed again. Now as far as I know...(I don't have any children myself.), The schools are opening for everyone, but they will do the two days a week again. 

Everywhere you go you still have to wear a mask, have your temperature taken everywhere you want to enter, sanitize hands, and some shops do not accept cash at the moment. You have to pay with a card, or with your phone.

• Like! 1
On 8/29/2020 at 3:56 AM, Delta! said:

Schools in South Africa was closed, then half opened for certain years, half the class would attend on Mondays and Wednesday the other half would attend on Tuesdays and Thursdays, with the teachers moving between classes and the students remaining in their class. Then schools closed again. Now as far as I know...(I don't have any children myself.), The schools are opening for everyone, but they will do the two days a week again. 

Everywhere you go you still have to wear a mask, have your temperature taken everywhere you want to enter, sanitize hands, and some shops do not accept cash at the moment. You have to pay with a card, or with your phone.

This is soooooooooooo painful.  I feel so much sympathy for teachers and parents...  

:cry:

gogo

On 8/29/2020 at 9:56 AM, Delta! said:

Paying with the phone...

I read (internet savety mails at work) that this service was hacked for some services recently. Normally you need a PIN if paying something with more than 30-50Euro. This way the loss at a robbed phone should be limited. By using a second phone (man in the middle) this safety routine could be knocked out.

https://tekdeeps.com/a-flaw-allows-to-hack-any-visa-card-by-nfc/

Yeah... I also feel sympathy for the parents... I know the majority of parents love their children and enjoy having them around, till they had to be stuck in the house with them for 4months... Then they wanted to just have a bit of time away from them, you know be able to do some adult things. Both my sisters are a bit tired out. The oldest one with the 3 boys almost sang with joy when the schools opened. The middle sister's kids are still to young for school, but the nanny stayed with them for the time, so they would take it in turns to have some free time

6 hours ago, Delta! said:

....Then they wanted to just have a bit of time away from them, you know be able to do some adult things....

The adults things are normally not when the kids are at school... And it is a bit complicated now, because normally we were able to use a 'visit to opera/restaurant/...' as camouflage. No opera, no restaurants, ...

But Iit is not so much about the parents. Normally our 15 year old would have started to visit parties, dance school for school ball, school ball, ....

And it is kinda strange to say to her: you can meet a friend but you are not allowed to visit parties...

I am proud of our twins: They needed below 5 minutes to answer a question:

You are the mayor (me) of a village (ours) with 125 people. You know that maximal one person is infected (hypothesis). How many covid19 tests you have to order to be sure to find the single infected?

Solution: #dwarves@snowhitefaerytale

• Like! 1
On 7/20/2020 at 3:25 PM, gogoblender said:

I've heard and read a bit about that app.  Not much can get me paranoid, but...this is a kind of spooky way of getting people used to have another entity know almost...everything?

I know one day in our far far future it will probably, as referenced in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Light_of_Other_Days The light of Other Days... one of my favorite reads about how, when someone invents the world's first portable worm hole, theyre all able to see the past and in fact...everything ...the world changed

Enter Smart phone

gogo

Bit late to the party, but the app in Germany was built around a system that does not actually monitor you as much as it tracks stored "nearby-ness" to persons who have the app installed and indicate that they have been infected. Probably Bluetooth based. (link) AFAIK a similar system is to be introduced here in the Netherlands. I'm pretty sure I will not bother using the app. We rarely go out, know everyone we visit, and plus: I only use BT in my car so I will not have it turned on anyway...

I'm just done with being around people who don't seem to care, breathing down your neck in shops etc. Fine, I'll just caveman this thing then. 

And as a side note... Anyone news-sick yet from all this Covid-19? I sure feel that way.

Edited by Timotheus

If you leave your suitcase allone on an airport or railway station you have to pay the costs for evacuation and possible bomb commando.

If you are so stupid to smoke in a sport hall with no smoking and installed automatically calls to firefighters you have to pay the firefighters.

I think not wearing a mask in bus,train or plane should be handled the same. Forced to pay all the monitoring and covid19 tests for 2 weeks for all the passengers. Invoking fear in other people should be cost much more than 50 euro.

We had a case nearby that a busdriver was beaten and kicked when he tried to have a person wear a mask, pay 50 euro or leave the bus,

I am happy about the lightweight car for our third and the school for our twins is in bicycle reach, all three not needing public traffic.

No masks in bus and train is state and not federal here. Some states do only a warning first and take money only if you refuse to wear a mask, other charge right away, some take 50 others 450.... So if a train people calls police to arrest a mask-refuser at the next station it became interesting if the call was before or behind a state border, reallly stupid and they want to make it federal law as soon as püossible.

Big names...

The nephew of JFK visited an anti-mask demonstration in Berlin and was the day before in the USA. Everyone wondered why he wasn't put in quarantine before the demonstration. Seems he claimed to have been in UK for some weeks to avoud quarantine. Hopefully this was the last visit. faking documents is a crime and he is no diplomat, should be arrested the next time in Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

A new test is in final phase in Germany. It is a test people can do themself, costs 10 Euro, ... You have to do a gurgling with a special mouth water and then it seems you have to use an item like for pregnancy tests and a colour reaction shows the result. They hope that the quick and 'cheap' self test allows visiting concerts, cinema, theatres, .... If it works as planed and is approved. Normal laws would allow tests only by medical personal at the moment, but what is normal at these times. Guess if it works there will be a special law.

Our oldest is afraid of reports about miscarriages at even light corona infections. She got a special allowness for the final practical test for arboristic at university. Was either the test right now or three months after the baby is born. But the practical needs certain condition for the trees which are way better in autumn than spring.

In march we discussed if non-medical masks would be useful. Without exact numbers I said that a shawl or normal mask would lower the number of infections. And I said that the shawl or normal mask would filter away big infection drops. So if not totally blocked the number of inhaled virus is lowered significantly and I hoped that few virus particles in the nose would kickstart the immune system before it is in the lungues.

Institutes needed only half a year to verify this...

The mask helps also in turning heavy infections into small ones and in building a lower kind of herde immunity.

Sadly I not only posted it, but said it also at a meeting for mayors of towns and villages in the district half a year ago in early march. Now they asked me if I would join the crisis management of the district: because of my common sense, being captain of volunteer firefighters, trained rescue medic, demolition expert,...

But I bet the main reason is that I am not a member of any political party so it was easier to ask me than someone who is in a party and the other parties don't agree because of this. He/she/it could have a Nobel price in medicine, if he is in a party or the wrong one he would have no chance.

On 9/14/2020 at 4:30 AM, chattius said:

In march we discussed if non-medical masks would be useful. Without exact numbers I said that a shawl or normal mask would lower the number of infections. And I said that the shawl or normal mask would filter away big infection drops. So if not totally blocked the number of inhaled virus is lowered significantly and I hoped that few virus particles in the nose would kickstart the immune system before it is in the lungues.

Institutes needed only half a year to verify this...

The mask helps also in turning heavy infections into small ones and in building a lower kind of herde immunity.

Sadly I not only posted it, but said it also at a meeting for mayors of towns and villages in the district half a year ago in early march. Now they asked me if I would join the crisis management of the district: because of my common sense, being captain of volunteer firefighters, trained rescue medic, demolition expert,...

But I bet the main reason is that I am not a member of any political party so it was easier to ask me than someone who is in a party and the other parties don't agree because of this. He/she/it could have a Nobel price in medicine, if he is in a party or the wrong one he would have no chance.

Re Masks, I'm slowly getting used to them... I'm almost used to always reaching for one thats hanging on the post near by and get a little worried when I'm indoors and see someone not wearing them.  There's actually been a surge lately as I'm just seeing reports for Quebec...the release of back to School has prompted  mentality that everyone can start visiting again which has spiked covid levels in younger community

:oooo:

gogo

On 9/16/2020 at 3:06 AM, gogoblender said:

Re Masks, I'm slowly getting used to them... I'm almost used to always reaching for one thats hanging on the post near by and get a little worried when I'm indoors and see someone not wearing them.  There's actually been a surge lately as I'm just seeing reports for Quebec...the release of back to School has prompted  mentality that everyone can start visiting again which has spiked covid levels in younger community

:oooo:

gogo

Our third was busy for half a day, Using the sewing- and the stitching machine to create a small nice looking pouch for storing masks and desinfects which can be worn at the hip. She said depending on the clothes there was no real way to store the masks.

Seems Biontech bought a pharma company in nearby Marburg. My wife was doing a small job in semesterv breaks there while at university, my aunt and my grandma (at the Marburg virus outbrerak) worked in pharmacy buildings in Marburg....

They say the building could do 750.000.000 anti-covid doses a year with 300 people when the final tests are done and authorities give okay to production.