Corona Virus - COVID 19

1 hour ago, chattius said:

Germany will go into a 'lockdown light' in November. To reserve beds and personal for possible needed corona cases hospitals wrote letters to people who were on schedule for surgeries, rehab, ...

So our oldest got a letter too. She wrote back that she would do anything to delay the birth of her twins, but that she would probably be outvoted by 2:1 on this.

21th century, the century of cut and paste it seems.

We have a new lock down in place as well

28 more days

errr...isnt that hte title of one of the best zombie movies ever

:oooo:

gogo

Judging by the current response to the crisis I would think that a fair amount of people had the brain infection at least once... *rolls eyes* 
A good friend of my GF tested positive last week, a few days after they had dinner together. My GF isn't showing any symptoms so she's not allowed to be tested. She actually had a slight panic attack in the car yesterday, when we were supposed to meet up with her mom for the first time in months. We drove back home...

I'm over it, can I wake up to a normal world again?

• Haha 1
On 11/2/2020 at 10:09 AM, Timotheus said:

Judging by the current response to the crisis I would think that a fair amount of people had the brain infection at least once... *rolls eyes* 
A good friend of my GF tested positive last week, a few days after they had dinner together. My GF isn't showing any symptoms so she's not allowed to be tested. She actually had a slight panic attack in the car yesterday, when we were supposed to meet up with her mom for the first time in months. We drove back home...

Is your gf feeling better Timo? I now some of my family and friends have had some anxiety because of so much coming down at once.  It's easy to become overwhelmed, and getting back to normal is nervous process... heart hammering, breathless...I sometimes wonder after taking  a walking outside how this world will reset if ever....but I love that feeling of waking up and seeing that sun coming in...

still loving the day, and my connection to family and friends...I sometimes call a few times too often to the fam...but I love to over deliver on fam support and make sure my peeps are okay..

#gogospammah!

:lol:

gogo

gogo

• Appreciation 1

Next bigger village: Kindergarten closed because of cases, senior resistance has deaths because of corona, mayor and embloyees have cases, ....

So far none at our village and the direct neighbour villages, knock on wood.

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Is your gf feeling better Timo? I now some of my family and friends have had some anxiety because of so much coming down at once.  It's easy to become overwhelmed, and getting back to normal is nervous process... heart hammering, breathless...I sometimes wonder after taking  a walking outside how this world will reset if ever....but I love that feeling of waking up and seeing that sun coming in...

still loving the day, and my connection to family and friends...I sometimes call a few times too often to the fam...but I love to over deliver on fam support and make sure my peeps are okay..

#gogospammah!

gogo

gogo

Hope she is still fine and free of the virus... I mean, just thinking of the impact that it will have on everyone around you as well, as well as your finances... well I am thinking of if I was in that situation.

9 hours ago, chattius said:

Next bigger village: Kindergarten closed because of cases, senior resistance has deaths because of corona, mayor and embloyees have cases, ....

So far none at our village and the direct neighbour villages, knock on wood.

No one at our job has showed any signs. What does concern me, the settlement where a lot of the staff live has been signaled as a "hotspot" but also not that WHOLE settlement... remembering that we are in SA, and that things are quite delayed, most of the staff where not even in the area when the Virus was at it's peak, they came back once the travel ban was lifted....

On 11/2/2020 at 5:09 PM, Timotheus said:

I wonder the same thing Timotheus... the way most politician are treating this, they think that everyone earns their salaries and can afford to live without income for more than a year. or is it just the situation in South Africa?

On 11/4/2020 at 3:22 AM, gogoblender said:

#gogospammah!

gogo

gogo

She's not actually, and getting tested in 30min... We hope it's just a cold and nothing else, but who knows.

14 hours ago, Delta! said:

Hope she is still fine and free of the virus... I mean, just thinking of the impact that it will have on everyone around you as well, as well as your finances... well I am thinking of if I was in that situation.

No one at our job has showed any signs. What does concern me, the settlement where a lot of the staff live has been signaled as a "hotspot" but also not that WHOLE settlement... remembering that we are in SA, and that things are quite delayed, most of the staff where not even in the area when the Virus was at it's peak, they came back once the travel ban was lifted....

I wonder the same thing Timotheus... the way most politician are treating this, they think that everyone earns their salaries and can afford to live without income for more than a year. or is it just the situation in South Africa?

The whole travel-and-bring-it-back thing is one of the most annoying things about this whole situation. Everyone needs to have their vacation to the sun (at least that was the problem here anyway, and now with skiing season fast approaching there's discussion of a complete travel ban).

I was more than happy to *not* get on a plane this year. Did suck though, since that's one of the only things we really spend our money on each year. The summer holidays felt like a long weekend now. 

And regarding finances, thankfully that does not affect us. We both have advisory/adminstrative jobs and work can continue as usual, just from home. But there are a lot of people struggling. You kind of wish the government would just stop spending money on keeping big business alive, and would just give everyone a 1,5 - 2k payment a month if they really want people to stay at home... I hope you guys are doing OK?

Have I mentioned that having upstairs neighbours who are having their bathroom done is just one massive annoyance when you have to work from home and are supposed to give a professional presentation. We were ready to shove his grinder and drill somewhere else...

Edited by Timotheus
  • Appreciation 1
28 minutes ago, Timotheus said:

Have I mentioned that having upstairs neighbours who are having their bathroom done is just one massive annoyance when you have to work from home and are supposed to give a professional presentation. We were ready to shove his grinder and drill somewhere else...

I think you can reduce your taxes by the costs of antinoise headphones if doing home office? Or is this just Germany?

What worries me: our oldest is awaiting twins around the weekend. Because of her size (she is taller than me) the docs wanted her to stay in hospital days before birth because of blood pressure riscs caused by the weight of the twins. But beds are very limited because hospitals changes them from general use to covid cases. Nearby Autobahn and secondary bridges are in repair so traffic  jams can happen. My paranoia made me to paint a pig H on the field we normally flood for the kids for skating.

Coming home and asking if anything important changed, exspected to hear something about Biden and Trump. But the most important men in the world are suddenly not important because of Denmark I was informed. Outbreak of a new corona virus in northern Denmark's mink farms. So most tests and vacs for the old variant will probably fail...

Any bets that the whole dam. sh.. will start from the scratch?

Decided to watch news about the USA. 253 Biden and 214 Trump are suddenly so cute unimportant  small numbers. Far away from 21500 new cases per day of the old variant in Germany

@chattius don't think it works that way for us unfortunately. I think it's all out of our own pocket.
For it to be tax deductable, we need to have a standalone workspace with a separate entrance and restroom. 

As for the lady: Well covid19 it is not. But she's not doing too well.
GP basically said: suck it up and see how it goes. 

We'll see...

Edited by Timotheus
  • 1 month later...

Our 15 year old is a bit angry:

Older sisters at this age could went to cinema with boy friends, school ball, not her and the last cinema in 20km went bankrupt last week.

She started at a music and art school, but because of corona she has to continue to visit her normal school. The art school is down.

Politicians are slow with hard lockdown. If they would decide to close schools starting 14th of decembre some parents and us agreed to a kind of self organized winter camp. The kids would do 5 days of total lockdown in the camp and then new decisions will be made. But with school closing 19th the volunteer quarantine would be too close to x-mas.

The twins and me share the same birthday short before X-Mas. Last year we had a big family party with around 60 people. This year , depends on politicians. I think it will be just our household .

I can share your frustration Chattius... this year was a huge discussion with all our family.  Last week the govt forbid all family visits.  Only thing allowed was visiting one senior. :eek: ...  This created some rebelry within our family and my cousin's wife was wanting to do this "isolation" for weeks then drive through back roads to get to our us then drive us to their place in country.  I was even considering this...was only my Mom who lost it :lol: and said the entire idea was foolish, especially as we have 96 year old Ammamma in our hands...to just wait, make the sacrifice ...for a wee while, vaccine is almost here... and in that way only moms can do, felt better... even valorous.  I cant do much about everyone else in these Covid times, but I can wait it out a little longer for my Ammamma and still meet up with relatives over the video...

:superman:

gogo

Probably different between village and town. The autorities will allow a volunteer total quarantine of whole village after 5 days of house quarantine. So by not allowing visitors from the outside at least the 118 people in the village can do x-mas together.

The older people informed their families that they won't be allone, the kids of the village can meet each other and we can even open the church for everyone. But we are lucky. The village is at the end of a road, no other roads leading in, mid in a valley, ... So isolation can be done easily. We did extra hours this week so we have work closed till next year.

And now I am back doing x-mas presents with the twins. Some wood working and carving. I would feel stupid to buy presents for my neighbour who allowed my parents in law and my mom to live in and look  about his weekend/holiday/relax villa. He is about 150.000.000€, so buying something is a nogo. So some selfmade Jägermeister like booze in a nice selfmade box.

Our niece studied allergies and is now a doc for allergic reactions. I still remember when she made maggot cheese in our cellar to study allergic reactions. She is now trained for possible allergic reactions applying the vaccine and how to inform and interrogate patients befor the immunization.

• Like! 1

Lock downs here have gotten pretty serious ...thinking that next week they may shut down all non essentals... we'll have to start hanging out at aisle three in the grocery store again

:scare2:

gogo

But... some jolly good news..i received a call from the Residence where Ammamma is... they asked me for permission to inject her with vaccine! Looks like my 96 year old Matriarch is gonna be glowing soon

:superman:

gogo

Wednesday Germany went into hard lockdown. I got okay from authorities that a 5 day volunteer quarantine for kids in winter camp is enough to allow them to have contact with rest of village. This is quite good because we have two and a half people having birthday on one day and the other half person on the following day before x-mas.

Mom and parents in law will be second phase with vaccines. Having the age but no health risks and not living in a senior resistance. Wife and our second are second phase too as medics.

My brother is second phase too because the trained personal at water plants is running out. Reason was corona based but not corona: when toilet paper was short on supply people used wet papers which were thought for waste but not to be put in toilet. So the water plant filters had to be cleaned with divers and some of them got mold infections because of cuts into the neopren.

My brother's wife is first phase because she is head nurse in intensive care at hospital.

A bit complicated who is which phase, I think I am phase 3 because hard to replace in a medical needed production.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week at the kitchen table

#2: 'Corona could be a blessing. Perhaps more lives saved than lost because of Corona'

Wive: 'Give me the med journal...'

Me: 'So the mRNA attempt can be used on multiple sclerosis and diabetis 1?'

#2: 'How do you know I just got the journal from the post?'

Me: 'A Mathematician is the universal genius of the 21th century'

Wife: 'Really?'

Me: 'Disclosure agreement ;) '

Oh dear Chattius.

It sounds like you have more going for you in Germany than I do in South Africa, even though we now have a NEW new strain. Almost every other country has now locked their border to us. We got the beginning of the strain from Kent(?) In the U.K, and it morphed into a newer strain right here in Sunny South Africa. I am not overly stressed. We are forced to wear our masks up the whole day in the kitchen. My glasses are permanently fogging up. We have a bootlegger again for our wine supply, what are we in the USA in the 1920's...? I ask you. My fiance was tested when he got back from the cruise lines... I have not been tested, have not felt sick. Have not taken one sick day, I have worked extra days and hours without compensation... Did not get increases or bonuses... Just want things to stop for a while. I barely have a second for myself...

• Appreciation 1

Personally I dislike antifog sprays. I never know what they will do to the coating of glasses, lenses and visors. Another problem is that working with explosives needs antistatic visors. So we use microfabric pouches which contain nano particles for our visors. It reads that you have to wash your hands after use and that you should ask your glasses manufacturer if it affects the coating and is of any use. To be useful it should stick on the coating of the glasses without damaging it. If the glasses have a buildin antifog nano coating allready then the antifog pouch may be contaproductive. Also the antifog pouch has to be applied after cleaning the glasses. Else you will loose to much of the nanoparticles.

For me corona and work are mixed feelings. At work we have to trust each other anyway because we work with explosives. So people with signs of a cold stayed at home even before corona.

The more problematic thing is: testing new metal components has to be done at the place of the customers. Mainly mid in production buildings. So my normal tests there are currently around 2am. Last shift ends 10pm for most companies, so 4 hours all ventilators on full power, desinfection, then testing for about 2 hours, then companies do desinfection again and vents on full power.

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

Hormones in corona times...

A nephew and our au pair met while both visiting my parents in law 3 weeks ago to bring supplies. They did some walks with distance and now they asked if they are allowed to meet a bit closer.

They are both 19 and would have never asked without corona I think. But so it is a bit tricky with the contact limitations because of different households and districts.

We are working on a creative, safe and legal solution.

• zomgod! 1
On 2/24/2021 at 3:30 AM, chattius said:

Hormones in corona times...

A nephew and our au pair met while both visiting my parents in law 3 weeks ago to bring supplies. They did some walks with distance and now they asked if they are allowed to meet a bit closer.

They are both 19 and would have never asked without corona I think. But so it is a bit tricky with the contact limitations because of different households and districts.

We are working on a creative, safe and legal solution.

I love hearing how your family has these  "conversations"  I've got a massive older family as well, and most of my after work time is spent on the phone just gabbing and talking about Ammamma.  ITs funny how in her oldear years (96) she's become somewhat of a social media buzz for us :lol: and how covid has brought us all closer together with her at the front with us all arguing about how to best take care of her

:oooo:

gogo

All old people in village, including mom and my parents in law, got their second dosis of Biontech/Phizer last thursday. My wife and our second got first dosis of AstraZeneca today as medical personal because normals docs and assistants should start to inject vaccines in 8 weeks. My date with the Biontech vaccine is in 4 weeks. I got a letter that I was moved from Phase3 to Phase2, critical part of a critical company.

That removes some sorrows from the kids, they always feard that when school starts again they will infect someone older (which includes their parents).

• Like! 1
  • 1 month later...

While I won't say I didn't take Covid seriously, it just seemed like it was something that happened to other people. I have been in and out of soooo many ambulances, hospitals, Covid testing sites etc for communications support and I didn't even have a stray sneeze.

I have been in numerous offices/buildings/trailers where people have had Covid. Heck, after the first week or two after shut down, my shop was literally back to normal with the exception of wearing masks. We really thought we would have time to do all these little projects we have wanted to do for years around the shop. But it was back to the grind after a week of talking about it.

So now we're a year in and thought we could see the light at the end of the tunnel with Covid. And then reality slapped us in the face...HARD. Everyone in my shop has gotten Covid within the last month, except for me. How I have not gotten it, I have no idea. And it's bad, really bad....if anyone compares it to a flu, well umm no. We've had 2 hospitalized and the rest look worse than I could ever imagine. My boss got it the worst and I have never been more scared for him. I really thought he was on death's door. He ended up being in ICU for a week and the hospital for 2. He just came back to work today, but he looks soo weak and fragile.

While I have had 2 relatives die from Covid, both were elderly and had existing health problems ( definitely sucked but I could rationalize it in my head). But the guys at my shop are basically very healthy. No one has any major health issues. I've just been holding down the fort, hoping/waiting for everyone to recover...which it looks like will happen...everyone should make a full recovery...just some might take a bit. I think my boss will be feeling some effects for a while.

Really really really hope this is over soon. I plan to get vaccinated next week so hopefully it won't affect our shop directly again. At home the kiddo is fine and  everyone else in my immediate family has been vaccinated.

Hope everyone out there is staying safe.

• Sad 1