Corona Virus - COVID 19

8 hours ago, Knuckles said:

My boss got it the worst and I have never been more scared for him. I really thought he was on death's door. He ended up being in ICU for a week and the hospital for 2. He just came back to work today, but he looks soo weak and fragile.

I think my boss will be feeling some effects for a while.

I hate virus's. When I was close to 14  I was growing a lot. Short after the summer breaks I got high fever. As a young kid I was immunized against measles, small poxs, ... so the docs didn't know what got me. Months later it turned out it was a measle variant from northern africa/mediterran someone in the class brought home from vacances. The virus was worst for people in the growing age and I grew real fast. So I turned into a monkey. Arms and torso grewing normally, legs not. Instead becoming 2m+ I stopped at 192cm, with an arm-span of 220cm with 17. The arm-span went to 230cm with swim training, Made me second in youth pentlathon at state championships: long reach at fencing, long arms for swimming, always good at shooting and riding. Running prevented a first place. the legs remained short.

There were around 27 dead in senior resistances in a 10km circle in winter. But luckily noone in the village or at work had it.

I really feared for unknown effects at covid for kids. I never believed they were close to immune.

Our third was not in school since last septembre because the art school is 70km away and she would have to take bus and train for 3+hours a day. So she was allowed to do home schooling. A teacher and his wife will come tomorrow with a camper to listen to her playing instruments (art and music school).

The classmates who lived in or closer to Frankfurt had to visit school. 7 caught the 'british' bug, mainly because of parties. The symptoms looked harmless... ...but 5 of them seem to suffer from the long covid effect. They are tired all the time, can't play their instruments on their normal level even after months.

CDC writes 'Multi-year studies are underway to further investigate.'. So long time effects are not fully known after one and a half year. And there are mutations.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

I am waiting for the second dosis next week. I was in second phase because of critical work for medical equipment(*), firefighter chief, staff member of district disaster control, ...

(*) working with explosives to make the special metals is a no no no no no with long time covid effects

• Like! 1
On 4/5/2021 at 7:26 PM, Knuckles said:

While I won't say I didn't take Covid seriously, it just seemed like it was something that happened to other people. I have been in and out of soooo many ambulances, hospitals, Covid testing sites etc for communications support and I didn't even have a stray sneeze.

I have been in numerous offices/buildings/trailers where people have had Covid. Heck, after the first week or two after shut down, my shop was literally back to normal with the exception of wearing masks. We really thought we would have time to do all these little projects we have wanted to do for years around the shop. But it was back to the grind after a week of talking about it.

So now we're a year in and thought we could see the light at the end of the tunnel with Covid. And then reality slapped us in the face...HARD. Everyone in my shop has gotten Covid within the last month, except for me. How I have not gotten it, I have no idea. And it's bad, really bad....if anyone compares it to a flu, well umm no. We've had 2 hospitalized and the rest look worse than I could ever imagine. My boss got it the worst and I have never been more scared for him. I really thought he was on death's door. He ended up being in ICU for a week and the hospital for 2. He just came back to work today, but he looks soo weak and fragile.

While I have had 2 relatives die from Covid, both were elderly and had existing health problems ( definitely sucked but I could rationalize it in my head). But the guys at my shop are basically very healthy. No one has any major health issues. I've just been holding down the fort, hoping/waiting for everyone to recover...which it looks like will happen...everyone should make a full recovery...just some might take a bit. I think my boss will be feeling some effects for a while.

Really really really hope this is over soon. I plan to get vaccinated next week so hopefully it won't affect our shop directly again. At home the kiddo is fine and  everyone else in my immediate family has been vaccinated.

Hope everyone out there is staying safe.

holee molee Rob...im just floored by your post... what a horror story. I can relate to this strange illusory "space" of feeling that its always happening to others...but to have this virus come out and wipe out almost your entire staff...and then your boss... who you've chatted about with me to for many years...your friend... to be in the hospital like that.. im just happy he's made it out.  My aunt actually got Covid..she's a nurse at a nursing home here in MTL and her entire residence had a one hunded percent infection rate... and my cousin who's a nurse at the (then) Jewish General emergency covid response unit ...all twenty of them came down with Covid and sent home for quarantine with only him and two others not getting infected.  I always remember the talk my aunt gave to him one day ..he didnt want to go to work, said he was scared...but my aunt and uncle.. yup they're HUGE faith people...she told him that she prays for him and every member of the family ...and that she knew nothing could take him... and that he was given responsiblities that noone else has... that if he didnt go to work...someone else would have to go in his place.

just... wow... only a talk a mom could give to her son

And ..he went...and he's somehow not gotten sick

:heart:

gogo

On 4/6/2021 at 4:06 AM, chattius said:

I hate virus's. When I was close to 14  I was growing a lot. Short after the summer breaks I got high fever. As a young kid I was immunized against measles, small poxs, ... so the docs didn't know what got me. Months later it turned out it was a measle variant from northern africa/mediterran someone in the class brought home from vacances. The virus was worst for people in the growing age and I grew real fast. So I turned into a monkey. Arms and torso grewing normally, legs not. Instead becoming 2m+ I stopped at 192cm, with an arm-span of 220cm with 17. The arm-span went to 230cm with swim training, Made me second in youth pentlathon at state championships: long reach at fencing, long arms for swimming, always good at shooting and riding. Running prevented a first place. the legs remained short.

There were around 27 dead in senior resistances in a 10km circle in winter. But luckily noone in the village or at work had it.

I really feared for unknown effects at covid for kids. I never believed they were close to immune.

Our third was not in school since last septembre because the art school is 70km away and she would have to take bus and train for 3+hours a day. So she was allowed to do home schooling. A teacher and his wife will come tomorrow with a camper to listen to her playing instruments (art and music school).

The classmates who lived in or closer to Frankfurt had to visit school. 7 caught the 'british' bug, mainly because of parties. The symptoms looked harmless... ...but 5 of them seem to suffer from the long covid effect. They are tired all the time, can't play their instruments on their normal level even after months.

CDC writes 'Multi-year studies are underway to further investigate.'. So long time effects are not fully known after one and a half year. And there are mutations.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/long-term-effects.html

I am waiting for the second dosis next week. I was in second phase because of critical work for medical equipment(*), firefighter chief, staff member of district disaster control, ...

(*) working with explosives to make the special metals is a no no no no no with long time covid effects

So happy you got your first chattius!

Almost all of my family has gotten it cuz they work in health care ... only leaving me and the other younger cousins...im anxiously awaiting even my first shot and am kind of scared now to visit Ammamma in the residence cuz I'm not immunized yet

:eek:

gogo

• 4 weeks later...

Father in Law:

You notice that you getting old and corona takes too long when your checklist for leaving the house by bus is longer than the list of a pilot before takeoff:

normal:

money - check

umbrella -check

60+

glasses - check

80+

false teeth - check

hearing aid - check

corona

ffp2 mask - check

hand desinfection - check

corona new today

immunization certification  to replace a fresh covid test - check

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My wife asked the twins if they were interested in a study for covid immunization for kids. The vaccine producing company is not far away and we have 1.5 docs in the house for risk minimizing.

The speed in saying yes showed me how hungry they are for a normal life..... even it means they have to write a short summary of possible symptoms each day for 6 weeks.

32 minutes ago, chattius said:

My wife asked the twins if they were interested in a study for covid immunization for kids. The vaccine producing company is not far away and we have 1.5 docs in the house for risk minimizing.

The speed in saying yes showed me how hungry they are for a normal life..... even it means they have to write a short summary of possible symptoms each day for 6 weeks.

Bravo! I hear you for getting back to normal... who doesn't ..cept for all those wild animals who tried to get back into human scape  :D ...I just got my vaccine last tuesday!! and Schot got his wednesday after...

feels AWESOME

and was able to visit my ammamma yesterday... I feel so much better now when visiting her that I've been vaccinated!!

\IMG_1319.jpg

:)

gogo

I can't imagine how crazy things must have been for some of you around the world.

I've had such a busy year (marriage, honeymoon, buying a home, pregnancy, work) I've barely been on this site, but reading some of these posts makes me feel very fortunate for how minimal the impact / risk has been in Australia other than some (admittedly at times painful) lockdowns...

Best wishes out there for everyone who is hopefully, gradually returning to normal with the help of vaccines and can see friends and family without fear.

• Appreciation 1
13 hours ago, Dragon Brother said:

I can't imagine how crazy things must have been for some of you around the world.

I've had such a busy year (marriage, honeymoon, buying a home, pregnancy, work) I've barely been on this site, but reading some of these posts makes me feel very fortunate for how minimal the impact / risk has been in Australia other than some (admittedly at times painful) lockdowns...

Best wishes out there for everyone who is hopefully, gradually returning to normal with the help of vaccines and can see friends and family without fear.

I am absolutely thrilled to hear you are  doing do swell FRiend... and DB  .. u were a teenager when you joined up on this site YEARS ago!!! :bounce:

surely there is that breath of fresh air kid pic you love to show from your wallet?

What's the l'il new Sacred Players' name!
:hugs:

gogo

14 hours ago, gogoblender said:

I am absolutely thrilled to hear you are  doing do swell FRiend... and DB  .. u were a teenager when you joined up on this site YEARS ago!!! :bounce:

surely there is that breath of fresh air kid pic you love to show from your wallet?

What's the l'il new Sacred Players' name!

gogo

Thanks gogo!

Not here yet, due date is first week of August so still a few months left to prepare ourselves!

• Appreciation 1

And...  this is a great day for cheer... our curfew is officially lifted...since January first this year ... changing times... the last month was at 9 30 ...and tonight... released...f r e e d o m!

:oooo:

gogo

We have 3 days with new infections lower than 50 per 100000 people in the district. 5days in follow and non necessary(?) shops can open again. Probably male politicians think that women need no clothes.

You need a rapid test not older than 24 hours for visiting.

Normal doctors can immunize now. But number of doses are low and people can be real aggressive at telephone when you have to tell them that all doses for the week are planed allready. Interestingly it are mainly town people and not normal patients who are of the totally wrong opinion that countryside docs have less people to immunize.

My wife considers farmers as system critical. Who will feed the animals or do the spring farm work when they become ill. Also their kids visit town schools and fear to infect their family. Kids fear shouldn't be underestimated.

• Like! 1
6 hours ago, chattius said:

My wife considers farmers as system critical. Who will feed the animals or do the spring farm work when they become ill. Also their kids visit town schools and fear to infect their family. Kids fear shouldn't be underestimated.

I never thought about it that way  but you're right... while the "farmers" may not show up on marketing adds... they are integral to food production.. .no food, no us

:blink:

gogo

One idea of allowing family doctors to immunize was that the phase system with immunize centres was rather unflexible. So family doctors are allowed to immunize people first who they think are in higher danger, more difficult to replace when ill, ...

• Like! 1
On 5/30/2021 at 5:52 AM, chattius said:

One idea of allowing family doctors to immunize was that the phase system with immunize centres was rather unflexible. So family doctors are allowed to immunize people first who they think are in higher danger, more difficult to replace when ill, ...

Gotta say its funny now seeing people all together outside..i myself am a little worried because I dont know who's been vaccinated or not... so Im being very cautious... we only meet family who's gotten the shot... I guess this is a numbers waiting game... more I wait more people get vaccinated...safer it is to finally one day raise a beer with friends outside!!

:drunkards:

gogo

15 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Gotta say its funny now seeing people all together outside..I myself am a little worried because I dont know who's been vaccinated or not... so Im being very cautious... we only meet family who's gotten the shot... I guess this is a numbers waiting game... more I wait more people get vaccinated...safer it is to finally one day raise a beer with friends outside!!

:drunkards:

gogo

Personally: still wearing masks, still keeping distance...

The case numbers were dropping fast, but it needs just a new mutant. The problem with Germany is that most of international road travel in Europe runs through it because it is central. There is a big resting place for Autobahn drivers just three hills away. Mediterran ticks, they were found there including meningitis and lyme disease, tiger mosquitos and the fevers they crerate. Good old german ticks you had half a day to remove them without fear of diseases, The mediterran ones are bigger and you have just 3 hours, which is less than a long walking trip. So all my kids are immunised against meningitis now. Pro and contra the risks, maths say doing the immunisation living in a forest.

As soon as contacts are allowed again on the parking place with all the countries ... shiver

7 days with less than 50 new infections per 100000 in the district. We are in step 2 of opening. Schools do lessons no more with half class sizes (step1) but with full sizes, shops can allow customers when they leave contact data and number is restricted to 1 per 20 squaremetres,...

• 1 month later...

Its been a long fifteen months.. I was looking back at some of the posts here from that early time and and happy we've gotten here to this place with our families... got my second dose of PFeizer today... feeling great!

:dance2:

gogo

The twins got their second shot now. It is still a mixed feeling because experts may say hü (gee) today and the next day hott (haw) about a vaccinication of kids. But how will they know effects on kids without trying. Currently no bad effects and antibodies are okay. The muscle with the shot was half a degree hotter than normal for half a day.

I always said using the greek alphabet could be a mistake, it has to few letters. Almost half of them are already used for variants.

• Appreciation 1
10 hours ago, chattius said:

The twins got their second shot now. It is still a mixed feeling because experts may say hü (gee) today and the next day hott (haw) about a vaccinication of kids. But how will they know effects on kids without trying. Currently no bad effects and antibodies are okay. The muscle with the shot was half a degree hotter than normal for half a day.

I always said using the greek alphabet could be a mistake, it has to few letters. Almost half of them are already used for variants.

It's mixed from me as well Chattius... I dont know much about innoculating children but I know its not done widely yet? I remember when I was a kid I got all kinds of shots.. maybe measles and chicken pox or something? so I know it used to be fairly common. 

Very happy that your entire family feels safe...there's no other way to go about our lives

Bravo!

gogo

• 3 months later...

immunication for kids is getting ground here as well... im sure by end of year they will start getting vaccinated. I'm curious now about all the vaccines I received as a kid... still have a huge mark on my left shoulder from one i got as a kid... maybe small pox?

:)

gogo

We got them at school. Small pox was a small cut in the arm and then weakened pox particles were put in the cut. The reaction to it left a mark. Polio was on a cube with sugar. Measles was when I was to young to remember. Rabies was aged 17 after a bite from a badger in the clay cellar, ugly, 3 times 24 small injections near the backbone, tetanus when I was 8 and had a big wound from falling in the garden, ...

Then came army with 20 more because naval air wing and we were ordered to use helicopters at medical emergencies on ships. Our unit doc said better safe than sorry and was very quick with vaccines just in case if the diagnosis of the rescued took time.

My immunisation booklet  is quite full. And after all these decades, docs can only guess what got me when I was mid in growing and made me a monkey.

covid:

Twins volunteered for testting so they were quiteearly. Mom, parents in law, wife and our second got the third dosis, the booster one, already.

• 3 weeks later...

Black Friday, bicycle shop had a nice offer when we looked for a bicycle helmet for our au-pair under covid rules. Not much customers and not much bicycles because people rediscovered bicycles at lockdowns and container ships with parts stuck cause of quarantines. But what they had (Austria is reachable per truck) was Add-E and is an electric engine which can be added to a normal bicycle - an old cargo bicycle in this case. Our oldest plans to place the twin babies on the cargo load front and the two year old in a seat on the back much like the picture from wiki from netherlands. But with all the hills some electric help would be nice and 500€ to add an engine compared to 3500+++€ for a new with engine, upgrading the old was really an option.

640px-Bakfietsmoeder.jpeg

Today was definitely the calmest Black Friday I have ever witnessed in my country. Very very few people were actually in shopping malls, from North to South it was basically a regular day without any sudden increases in movement or flow. No lines, easy parking, barely any fuss about anything at all. It was such a chill day that I actually left work with a smile on my face, as opposed to the usual massive headache and will to go roadkilling.

So yeah, very weird day today. :D

• Appreciation 1
2 hours ago, Androdion said:

Today was definitely the calmest Black Friday I have ever witnessed in my country. Very very few people were actually in shopping malls, from North to South it was basically a regular day without any sudden increases in movement or flow. No lines, easy parking, barely any fuss about anything at all. It was such a chill day that I actually left work with a smile on my face, as opposed to the usual massive headache and will to go roadkilling.

So yeah, very weird day today. :D

Bravo Androdion, on the  deserved chill day! I've begun having a few of those lately, with some good sun, and good humor creeping more and more into eveyrone's daily day.  With the exception of these two HORROR weeks I'm sucked into for Black Friday and  Sell Sell Sell attitude, its like the world is warming up... strange for winter right?

So GOOD to see you back on these boards man.. I missed your posts AND your food... dont leave us alone so long again... we da family!

gogo