New Feature: The Hellfire Arena

Flix

Yummi, as usual! :bow:

Love the new mob designs, that winged critter from the Blood Forest is tip top. So the four phases will be somewhat like a Crucible, and that's the Arena in the Multiplayer Island right?

• Thanks! 1

Flix, the count down to the invasion of monsters in Sacred Underworld was one of my favorite features from Sacred...just the sheer fun of going against a huge load of monsters is exhilarating. when up against the odds or clock.  I love this tension that I see again in Arena fashion for you mod. So Polished!!

:thumbsup:

gogo

• Thanks! 1
4 hours ago, Androdion said:

So the four phases will be somewhat like a Crucible, and that's the Arena in the Multiplayer Island right?

That is correct.  You report back to the current phase's quest giver after each "round".  I had the monsters just spawn immediately on receiving the quest but they tended to rush the entrance to the arena and the hero would get trapped in the corridor before he could even enter. 

So you get the quest, and the current round of monsters wait patiently in the arena for the hero to click on them to start the battle.  I think this relative safety and time to prepare is offset by the sheer odds against the player in each fight.  This also affords the player something that is normally impossible: time to actually get a good look at the monsters without worrying about being killed (yet).

3 hours ago, Androdion said:

Yeah, I can see Holos+Bloodclaw+the other guy being a sure way to see your HP bar go "bam bam bum". :3lmao:

Yes... a lot of that going on in these battles.  :devil:

After testing them all, this might be one of the most heart-pounding configurations:

ydl5dY3.jpg

• Like! 1

Ok Hellfire Arena is complete and should be ready for implementation whenever v14 is released.  I've tested each battle several times to ensure all the bosses are behaving* and all the quest scripts are firing correctly.  All quest dialogue, journal entries, voices, rewards etc. is all complete.

This has also afforded me a chance to re-balance many of the bosses and superuniques for v14.  There were some unusual/unfair "rough edges" that were filed down a bit, so to speak.

I've added the full roster of all the battles to the first post. I put each phase in spoiler tags so you can see each one in turn.  The final reward will remain secret.

So, what battle looks like the most challenging?

* There's still a lingering bug where sometimes a boss will summon minions and the minions will turn against their fellow monsters.  I'm confident this can be resolved, I just have to get a better understanding of the factions.

@Flix

Spoiler

Phase 4, round 5. Is that Kerrigan?

Anyway, my bones are shivering just from thinking of running those battles. My oh my, I think this is going to be fun!

Big question for me about this mode is its recommended level, if there is one or not, and if it's possible to run it in each difficulty. You know the, "technical" aspects as to how approach this mode without being plain suicidal. Any thoughts on that mate?

I must see this in action.  How do three big creatures like that come at us? Are they waiting for one to finish battle before the second has to be clicked? Can all three be clicked simultanteously ...and they'll all come at the player at once?

:eek:

:D

gogo

3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

How do three big creatures like that come at us? Are they waiting for one to finish battle before the second has to be clicked? Can all three be clicked simultanteously ...and they'll all come at the player at once?

Androdion is correct; the group attacks as a cohesive team.  I designated one of each group as the "leader" (whoever was front and center), and you "talk" to them to commence the battle.  There's no actual dialogue exchanged with the monsters. I just added the "talk-to-begin" because if they spawned as immediately hostile, they would rush the arena entrance and the player would get trapped in the corridor before they could even enter - no fun.

Because you fight each round against a full group, this adds a whole other dimension. Enemy abilities synergize in unexpected ways, compounding the difficulty of the fight.

Take that very first round.  Little Devilkin, Goblin, and Gremlins don't look so tough. And one on one, any well equipped player would have no trouble.

However, when their individual abilities combine... one of them casts a "Blind" debuff on you that slows your attack speed. Another teleports around constantly. Yet another uses "Charged Bolts" which sends out seeking bolts which damage you and heal its allies.  Yet another will Resurrect its fallen comrades.  This means the tide of the battle can turn in an instant.

I've played through it all a few times and it's a lot of fun!

Phase 4, round 5. Is that Kerrigan?

She fills in for Andariel in D2F.  http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php/Sacred_2:Andariel

Andariel_(Diablo_II).gif.079985b30e1606d44f4f9ad36ec0be29.gif

Big question for me about this mode is its recommended level, if there is one or not, and if it's possible to run it in each difficulty. You know the, "technical" aspects as to how approach this mode without being plain suicidal. Any thoughts on that mate?

Well, I'd say, in a given difficulty level, if you can try fighting some of the individual bosses pictured here, assess how easy/hard those battles were, then extrapolate how challenging fight a group of them might be.  You can always stop during any round/phase of the Arena and come back later if you need to get better gear or level some abilities.  The quest series is impossible to fail.

Some of the special rewards will not spawn with all their bonuses until at least level 30.  So I'd say that's the bare minimum. 

I'm considering whether to make it available in Multiplayer mode or not.  I don't much care for the way people abuse Free Play to get the static rewards I've added to quests multiple times.

• Respect! 1
4 minutes ago, Flix said:

Androdion is correct; the group attacks as a cohesive team.  I designated one of each group as the "leader" (whoever was front and center), and you "talk" to them to commence the battle.  There's no actual dialogue exchanged with the monsters. I just added the "talk-to-begin" because if they spawned as immediately hostile, they would rush the arena entrance and the player would get trapped in the corridor before they could even enter - no fun.

Because you fight each round against a full group, this adds a whole other dimension. Enemy abilities synergize in unexpected way, compounding the difficulty of the fight.

Take that very round round.  Little Devilkin, Goblin, and Gremlins don't look so tough. And one on one, any well equipped player would have no trouble.

However, when their individual abilities combine... one of them casts a "Blind" debuff on you that slows your attack speed. Another teleports around constantly. Yet another uses "Charged Bolts" which sends out seeking bolts which damage you and heal its allies.  Yet another will Resurrect its fallen comrades.  This means the tide of the battle can turn in an instant.

I've played through it all a few times and it's a lot of fun!

This sound brilliant! lol  reminded of that scene from STar Trek ...the gamesters of Triskelan... with Kirk pumped up in the Arena against the three beasts with that iconic music!

:ninjastar:

gogo

That's a good question indeed. It didn't came to my mind personnaly because I always create my new characters in Multiplayer mode. It has several advantages:

-you start in a safe place with all commodities

-you can do how many quick saves you want, no matter where you are (after getting a good loot for example)

-you can/could play multiplayer/lan which you can't with singleplayer characters

and even more now as the characters class quests are available in multi, like the Blind Guardian Concert quest I think and surely other advantages which I forget atm. But I'm curious about Flix's answer.

Edited by desm
3 hours ago, Androdion said:

Something just occurred me, if this arena mode is in the Multiplayer Island then how can you access it without doing the Ancaria Airlines quest?

The portal at the Island of Many Roads has been active in Single Player since the release of CM 1.60.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Flix said:

I've also decided to restrict the quest's availability to the Single Player campaign only.  This is mainly due to the rewards involved.

Crap :( So, personnaly, I think I won't see it. When you're used to play in Multiplayer mode (even if you play solo), you can't go back to Singleplayer mechanics anymore for the reasons I mentioned before (mostly for the capacity to save whenever and wherever you are). Furthermore, believe it or not, I take the example of the High Elf, I've already been one or two-shots (in Niob) by the apprentice casting his fireball while the damned Ice&Blood welcome screen was appearing (but I think it has been been fixed in latest versions of CM patch).

Couldn't there be another solution like, as you previously mentionned I think, flagging the quest to be doable only once?

• 2 weeks later...