Jump to content

The Sacred 2 NPC Portrait Project


Flix

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, Flix said:

Enemies with the classification of "Monster" are completed.

New:

00OJeqU.png

Old:

0SknX4r.png

reallly like your "lovecraftian" take with some of the monsters... much more intense than the original game... and with some reminiscence of Predator ^^

:)

gogo

  • Thanks! 1
Link to post
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

**This mod is now included in Sacred 2 Enhanced Edition, so be sure to use the version of Portrait Overhaul packaged with that mod, if you use EE.** DOWNLOAD THE STANDALONE PORTRAIT MOD:   

Northern Humans (Artamark) are done. New: Old:

High Elves are complete.  Never mind the duplicates; some NPC's you'll never see the portraits for since they're not involved in quests or trading; this was my way of making sure most, if not all, por

Posted Images

On 8/16/2020 at 7:22 PM, gogoblender said:

reallly like your "lovecraftian" take with some of the monsters... much more intense than the original game... and with some reminiscence of Predator

Thanks! I guess you mean the Swamp Olm.  Those were tricky since there are really only two things that resemble them:

The first are the Ithilids or "Mind-Flayers" from D&D.  But those creatures tend to be wiry and slender and wear high-necked black robes and other gothic accoutrements.  Not the best fit for the stocky, bare-chested olm.

The second is Cthulhu.  After all, why settle for the lesser evil?  image.png.bc126a046034bf40f0b3d75045dd4245.png

 

Managed to squeeze in one more group of portraits before the weekend expired - Plant-type creatures are done.

bNlqDqm.png

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post

Insects were a little tricky.  I opted to go for more close-ups of the spiders and scarabs to emphasize the monstrous aspect.  Conversely, the scorpions look best when you can see their distinctive features, the claws and stingers.

New:

7VR5UiI.png

Old:

hDnJWKA.png

Link to post

These are particularly exceptional to look at.  The long maw of the reptile lets us see some ferocity and menace, always better expressed with a mutiplicity of teeth !  It makes me get nostalgic to see how many distinctions the original devs put into all of this for a race on a stand up game.  What a game

:D

gogo

  • Thanks! 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

These are particularly exceptional to look at.  The long maw of the reptile lets us see some ferocity and menace, always better expressed with a mutiplicity of teeth !  It makes me get nostalgic to see how many distinctions the original devs put into all of this for a race on a stand up game.  What a game

:D

gogo

True.

The Lizard Folk were one of the few Sacred 2 races that weren't inherited from Sacred 1. They also some of the only monsters that aren't obviously riffing on creatures from some other franchise.  The devs seem to just spin them out of whole cloth.  I suppose the Argonians from the Elder Scrolls games have been around for a long time, but they really bear little resemblance.

The first lizard men I ever remember seeing were in Divine Divinity in 2003.  And really our Sacred 2 Lizard Folk remind of them most of all.

79cdnX9.jpg

Link to post
On 8/20/2020 at 11:57 PM, Flix said:

True.

The Lizard Folk were one of the few Sacred 2 races that weren't inherited from Sacred 1. They also some of the only monsters that aren't obviously riffing on creatures from some other franchise.  The devs seem to just spin them out of whole cloth.  I suppose the Argonians from the Elder Scrolls games have been around for a long time, but they really bear little resemblance.

The first lizard men I ever remember seeing were in Divine Divinity in 2003.  And really our Sacred 2 Lizard Folk remind of them most of all.

79cdnX9.jpg

Lol...that image is just fantastic! :lol: I remember playing that game..it was absolutely engorging, and seemingly never ending with layers and layers of content, guile and treachery... this lizard in the sveldte is stunning

:)

 

gogo

Link to post
On 8/21/2020 at 4:22 AM, chattius said:

My first encounter with lizardmen was in Phantasie III played on my old Amiga1000, must be laste 80ties.

Think this screenshot was Atari ST?

phantasie-iii-the-wrath-of-nikademus_22.

Pool of Radiance had them too. We played it at weekends at army, must be around the same time, but I played PhantasieIII first.

But to see that they were lizardman you had to look at the booklet. On screen they were more or less just some pixels. Still wonder how 5 pixels in Wizardry6 could cause an outcry because of a nipplegate at nagas.

Lol... Chattius, I remember playing might and magic that had the grid to show the team strategies when travelling and attacking ... yes it says lizardman...but which one of those images in the box is it actually ?

:4rofl:

gogo

Link to post
8 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Lol... Chattius, I remember playing might and magic that had the grid to show the team strategies when travelling and attacking ... yes it says lizardman...but which one of those images in the box is it actually ?

:4rofl:

gogo

The lizardman is dead and not shown, it would have been some green pixels with not much clothes ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

Ben, you never fail to impress me with the images you discover. Thanks again for this labor of love.

Thanks Steve!  I had to really stretch my artistic abilities the get these ghost portraits created.  Google was not so kind in handing me ready-to-go images as it had for some previous batches.  Getting creative with my image editor (GIMP) was necessary, and fun to experiment with.

I suspect I will have to repeat this feat when I work on T-Energy Mutants, which is the next collection on the list.

Link to post
On 8/28/2020 at 9:22 PM, Flix said:

Ghosts galore!  Creatures with the designation of Energy are completed.

 

Old:

OjhEQU0.png

I don't recognise some of those enemies though. Which one is that second dragon? I don't remember seeing ghosts of mobs from Bengaresh, Dyr-Layn and so on too. Whaaa?! :D

Link to post
4 hours ago, Androdion said:

I don't recognise some of those enemies though. Which one is that second dragon? I don't remember seeing ghosts of mobs from Bengaresh, Dyr-Layn and so on too. Whaaa?! :D

Haha, well let's see...

Second dragon is a boss from the Dragon Mage's personal quest.  That one is transformed into the Phantom Dragon (Wastelands) in D2F.

The plants, insects, and dryads are all summoned by the Dryad's Moribund Animus buff.  That is, sadly, the only time they would appear.  So the player would have to engage a Dryad in PvP and kill her summoned minions in order to ever see my hard work.  :sob:

D2F does not have Moribund Animus, so those ghosts would absent completely.  I'm considering making them spawn in small areas around the world, as I've already done with the three Undead variants that were summoned by Moribund Animus.

The others you may not recognize are mostly from small side quests.

  • Appreciation 1
Link to post

Good job on this Ben! I saw the title last night and before going to bed was wondering if this was going to be a successful "pluck" or not for finding images that well reflect the sentiment of T energy goo splashed upon and deeply ingrained across Ancaria's denizens... 

you have found great new reflectants, and i'm smiling now as I see a almost new "world" of t energy repped agents...

how ever did you do this successful search !

good job

:thumbsup:

 

gogo

  • Thanks! 1
Link to post
3 hours ago, gogoblender said:

how ever did you do this successful search !

Well, I had to create most of them myself.  Most of those original portraits I had to work with were just a regular turtle, bear, dragon, man in a turban etc.  I just had to find ways to add blue glows for the eyes, and add patches of dark blue with bright lightning streaks.  In a few cases the original portrait would already have the right features, but the wrong colors, so I could just use the color slider to turn green or red into blue, for example.

Overall, T-Mutants were definitely the most demanding of all the portraits, which is why I save them for the end!  :heat:

  • Like! 1
Link to post
On 8/28/2020 at 10:22 PM, Flix said:

Ghosts galore!  Creatures with the designation of Energy are completed.

 

New:

mAsIn69.png

Old:

OjhEQU0.png

Flix, I missed these...the glow and etheralness is just on spot... I'm not even gonna ask how much time and eyebrow sweat has gone into this gorgeous blue collection... lol have your perhaps created too beautiful for the game

:lol:

 

gogo

  • Thanks! 1
Link to post
21 hours ago, gogoblender said:

Flix, I missed these...the glow and etheralness is just on spot... I'm not even gonna ask how much time and eyebrow sweat has gone into this gorgeous blue collection... lol have your perhaps created too beautiful for the game

It was an interesting project, experimenting with different colors and filters such as gradient flares to create a ghostly effect.  More than half of those were just ordinary pictures when I started on them.

============================

We're entering the home stretch now.  And I have to admit I cheated with this next batch of enemies.  Demons in Sacred 2 actually had good icons to begin with, and they are really just too unique for me to find a set of worthy replacements, so I opted instead to use pictures from the game.  I think it worked out quite well.  Basically enhanced versions of what we already had.

New:

pkT72dn.png
 

Old:

JlsOJkd.png

  • Like! 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...