Where is Your Location

8 hours ago, Alyndiar said:

In Grondines, Quebec, Canada. About 45 minutes from Quebec City.

Welcome to DarkMatters, Alyndiar of Grondines!

we were just talking about the maples on another thread. because of colder season this year, the maplers are in bloom ever stronger than ever, and the syrup is flowing mooooore! :cow:

we spent time with the family up in the country at a  Cabane a Sucre, Sucrerie de la montaigne and spent most of rest day in a sugar coma

:4rofl:

gogo

IMG_8205.jpgIMG_8198.jpgIMG_8208.jpg

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, Delta! said:

I have recently moved into my own place that I bought. Just about 30km from Stellenbosch where I previously lived is a bigger town, falls Under City of Cape Town, called Somerset West. and here is where I get confused. Gordons Bay, Strand and Somerset are supposed to be three different cities/towns... but they are so interconnected, I don't know if there is even a border between the 3...? I live in a security complex called De Velde Lifestyle estate. I was fortunate enough to get a ground floor apartment, with a little garden, 3 bedrooms, 2 parking spots right outside the flat, 2 bathrooms, living area and kitchen(a bit small for my liking, but so far it has not been a problem), we make it work with clever planning and using vertical space.

My Boyfriend moved in with me. He saves on rent R7800.00 per month, and even though the distance is further to his work, he is actually using less fuel because he can drive at a more constant speed, less traffic and traffic lights, he also gets to and from work faster than when he lived in Stellenbosch.

I am a bit further away from work and use a bit more fuel, but save lots on Accommodation. about R8800.00 per month that I paid rent in Stellenbosch for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, same size kitchen... so I am smiling.

image.png.1b7c48cd394b9d4fed08160e1a8e257f.png

Aerial view of the complex

image.thumb.png.66986fa182126d567e718a3559e72a8d.pngthe same plan for the flat that I bought, third bedroom is a study and snake cages are there.

The complex has a pool, a gym, a lifestyle centre with a library, cinema room that you need to book in advance, a restaurant, conference room, media centre with free wifi, and a cellar/venue that you can book for private functions, a small soccer field/court, a squash court, and walking/running trails around and through out the complex.

Theuns, smashing new locale! and loads of ammenities.  The good life! :D .  I'm happy you're able to make way with your BF, having a double to split costs is significant important imo... and just about the only way to make it through these days with costs of food, and gas... hola gas... wth :lol: 

loved hearing that even your precious snakes got their own home... all for family

:heart:

gogo

• Like! 1
3 hours ago, Delta! said:

I have recently moved into my own place that I bought. Just about 30km from Stellenbosch where I previously lived is a bigger town, falls Under City of Cape Town, called Somerset West. and here is where I get confused. Gordons Bay, Strand and Somerset are supposed to be three different cities/towns... but they are so interconnected, I don't know if there is even a border between the 3...? I live in a security complex called De Velde Lifestyle estate. I was fortunate enough to get a ground floor apartment, with a little garden, 3 bedrooms, 2 parking spots right outside the flat, 2 bathrooms, living area and kitchen(a bit small for my liking, but so far it has not been a problem), we make it work with clever planning and using vertical space.

My Boyfriend moved in with me. He saves on rent R7800.00 per month, and even though the distance is further to his work, he is actually using less fuel because he can drive at a more constant speed, less traffic and traffic lights, he also gets to and from work faster than when he lived in Stellenbosch.

I am a bit further away from work and use a bit more fuel, but save lots on Accommodation. about R8800.00 per month that I paid rent in Stellenbosch for a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, same size kitchen... so I am smiling.

image.png.1b7c48cd394b9d4fed08160e1a8e257f.png

Aerial view of the complex

image.thumb.png.66986fa182126d567e718a3559e72a8d.pngthe same plan for the flat that I bought, third bedroom is a study and snake cages are there.

The complex has a pool, a gym, a lifestyle centre with a library, cinema room that you need to book in advance, a restaurant, conference room, media centre with free wifi, and a cellar/venue that you can book for private functions, a small soccer field/court, a squash court, and walking/running trails around and through out the complex.

It's good to see you posting. Your presence has been sorely missed.  Your place seems cozy, comfortable, and efficient. Investing in property is a great idea and with the money you are saving your can more easily secure your financial future. I'm curious, is your garden decorative or do you have any vegetables planted?

• Like! 1
48 minutes ago, Delta! said:

So far the garden is decorative... the previous owners rented it out, and the tenants did not give the garden any love. There is a lawn, with garden beds around two walls. I want to make the beds deeper, and add another bed against the 3rd wall. I have bought some herbs, aubergine plants, chili plants, a lemon tree and a lime tree, but have not planted it yet. The soil quality is not the best in the area, because it is so close to the beach, (1,45km), so the garden shop suggested I add a lot of compost and enrich the soil especially for herbs, vegetables and fruit trees. sooooo I need to still do that. but I will get to it, just going to need a bit of help

u said four words.. close to the beach!

is is swimable or just coastline ? The sound , small , fell and sigh of surf is gloriously refreshing.  I was reading about bees last night, and how gardeners are creating varieties of flowers to keep them alive, my cousins and his wife have apiaries... honey is a big yum yum

:)

gogo

4 hours ago, Delta! said:

So far the garden is decorative... the previous owners rented it out, and the tenants did not give the garden any love. There is a lawn, with garden beds around two walls. I want to make the beds deeper, and add another bed against the 3rd wall. I have bought some herbs, aubergine plants, chili plants, a lemon tree and a lime tree, but have not planted it yet. The soil quality is not the best in the area, because it is so close to the beach, (1,45km), so the garden shop suggested I add a lot of compost and enrich the soil especially for herbs, vegetables and fruit trees. sooooo I need to still do that. but I will get to it, just going to need a bit of help

I look forward to hearing about your garden! Can you smell the fresh sea air? There is something so invigorating about an ocean breeze. :yay:

• Like! 1
On 5/4/2022 at 1:48 PM, gogoblender said:

u said four words.. close to the beach!

is is swimable or just coastline ? The sound , small , fell and sigh of surf is gloriously refreshing.  I was reading about bees last night, and how gardeners are creating varieties of flowers to keep them alive, my cousins and his wife have apiaries... honey is a big yum yum

gogo

it is swimmable, in Summer.  it is colder that the beaches that I was used to as a child when we went for Holidays to Durban. but I have gotten use to it.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:26 PM, Hooyaah said:

I look forward to hearing about your garden! Can you smell the fresh sea air? There is something so invigorating about an ocean breeze. :yay:

I will post pictures once it is up and growing, I can sometimes smell the fresh ocean air, salty and very humid. but only on windy days. on hot summer days the wind does not really blow much.

• Like! 1
19 hours ago, Timotheus said:

Congrats on the move Theuns :) 

Currently we're living in Eindhoven again, the city I grew up in. Our house is at the northern outskirts of the city, but here's a little impression of the city center and the main things Eindhoven is known for:

The amusement park (Park Hilaria) is not a year-round event by the way. They shut down the main street of the city for it, and it takes place during the summer holiday. And one of the things that's missing is GLOW. A really cool yearly light art event. Here's an impression of one of the locations:

Timmoooooo... mooooooooooooorning :D Im all smiley after listening to and watching that video of your city... it paired well with my weekend morning earlly ritual coffee, your city is marvelous, with a lot of arts, and focus on architecture.  We also are a fan of festivals and make sure to *accidentally* bump into the numerous ones held here in Montreal with the Montreal Jazz fest being the biggest draw.

Is there a lot of bike paths where you're located? We have huge infrastructure here with a lot of the bikes going Ebike which I use to visit Ammamma in good weather

gogo

On 5/5/2022 at 12:08 PM, Delta! said:

it is swimmable, in Summer.  it is colder that the beaches that I was used to as a child when we went for Holidays to Durban. but I have gotten use to it.

I will post pictures once it is up and growing, I can sometimes smell the fresh ocean air, salty and very humid. but only on windy days. on hot summer days the wind does not really blow much.

Thats a terrific recollection of getting to a beach in youth.  I was lucky to have parents who always made good use of weekends and I think investing in thoughtful experiences helps us keep our grounding.

gogo

On 5/4/2022 at 11:26 AM, Hooyaah said:

lol..u made me recollect my mom talking about growing up less than a block away from the Indian Ocean in Sri Lanka

*gosh the surf was so loud at night, sometimes we couldnt even sleep*...

oh brother

:4rofl:

gogo

4 minutes ago, Hooyaah said:

Born in Houston, I now reside in the quiet, relaxing countryside well north of that hectic metropolis, in east Texas. I have some acres on which a very well-built brick, ranch-style home rests. I have a horse who looks just like Mr. Ed, a couple of dozen chickens and a nice vegetable garden. There is a pond with turtles and I even had an alligator snapping turtle visit for a while. There are some huge oak trees in my back pasture which I estimate to be a few hundred years old or more. Texas is Heaven. :hooyaah:

Thats a lovely get away Steve, you're residing within a picture post card :D ... what about that alligator snapping turtle though.. how did it make its way to your pond^^ :4rofl: is it connected to some kind of tributary or did it just *walk* into it ^

:D

gogo

11 minutes ago, gogoblender said:

Thats a lovely get away Steve, you're residing within a picture post card :D ... what about that alligator snapping turtle though.. how did it make its way to your pond^^ :4rofl: is it connected to some kind of tributary or did it just *walk* into it ^

:D

gogo

That alligator snapping turtle was "just visiting" from an even larger pond about a hundred yards behind my property. My property is on a higher elevation relative to it. My pond was man-made, while the other larger one is natural occuring. There are many streams in the area within a mile or so of my acreage.

:agreed:

3 hours ago, Hooyaah said:

That alligator snapping turtle was "just visiting" from an even larger pond about a hundred yards behind my property. My property is on a higher elevation relative to it. My pond was man-made, while the other larger one is natural occuring. There are many streams in the area within a mile or so of my acreage.

:agreed:

Ahhh, i know what you mean about those *ponds* now... my cuz has a pond that forms on his property during the spring thaw... kids love to play in it for its brief appearance nature is beautiful and wild and constantly surprising

IMG_20140419_121402.jpg

IMG_20140419_121346.jpg

IMG_20140419_173020.jpg

We have 5 century old Karpfenteiche (carp ponds). They were made to have extra food in wintertimes because the area was not really reachable in hard winters. I made 4 more for waste water clearing. First step is pouring the water from two metres height through wood pellets, then it reaches a pond with special vegs which filter metals from the water. Two of them, one is used when the other has to be emptied to remove the plants. Plants and wood pellets are brought to a nature gas company who wins metals from the water and does bio gas. Pond 3 and 4 are full of algae and carps. Again 4 is a reserve for three. After this the water flows slowly into the old ponds. The old ponds have a water tight clay stone ground 50 metres below. The again centuries old well gets its water from there.

Nowads we use waterfilters, but water probes show that they are not really needed.

These old ponds can be 7 metres deep after rain and are the reasons why we bought Leonbergers as water rescue dogs. Now we wouldn't need them, but we got used to our Leo's.

'Pond 10' is a field we flood with around 50 cm water in late autumn to have an ice field for skating.

I am proud that we have noble crayfish in the rivelets conneting the ponds. They are a leftover as reserve food in ancient times. They indicate that we have clear oxygen rich water.

The first water clearing ponds are full of insects and amphibia.

• Appreciation 1
On 5/7/2022 at 1:46 PM, gogoblender said:

Timmoooooo... mooooooooooooorning :D Im all smiley after listening to and watching that video of your city... it paired well with my weekend morning earlly ritual coffee, your city is marvelous, with a lot of arts, and focus on architecture.  We also are a fan of festivals and make sure to *accidentally* bump into the numerous ones held here in Montreal with the Montreal Jazz fest being the biggest draw.

Is there a lot of bike paths where you're located? We have huge infrastructure here with a lot of the bikes going Ebike which I use to visit Ammamma in good weather

gogo

Bikepaths are everywhere. On busier roads there's a dedicated cycling path next to it, seperated from the road itself, and on most other roads it's fairly common to have either painted bike paths where cyclists share the road with cars or have separate cycling lanes as well. We actually have a separate bike path on either side of the road right in front of our house. 

Funfact, the quirky round bridge you see at 1:50 and 1:56 in the first video is actually a bridge for cyclists. Here you can see it on Google Maps: 

https://www.google.nl/maps/place/Hovenring/@51.4333624,5.4190621,207m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x47c6dbd2eaad7169:0x3ec6043f35b5a538!2sHovenring!8m2!3d51.4333617!4d5.4193011!3m4!1s0x47c6dbd2eaad7169:0x3ec6043f35b5a538!8m2!3d51.4333617!4d5.4193011

If you zoom in, the pink/orangey lanes are the designated cycling lanes. They really are everywhere, just scroll around :) 

• Like! 1

I was born in Wetzlar. My brother still lives in our mother's  house. Wetzlar builds a ponton bridge across the Lahn river each year in the summer months for 50 years now.  It is part training for the disaster relieve organisation (Techisches Hilfswerk) and a real shortcut for bicycles and walkers leading through a park on a river island towards the cathedrale.

Front old Lahn Bridge made from stone, behind the ponton bridge. On the left of the river is the bicycle street along the river. To be honest, I am more under than over the bridge, We use to do canoo trips on the Lahn.

1024px-Alte_Lahnbr%C3%BCcke_01_(Wetzlar,

The bridge is removed in winter because high water with its drifting trunks could destroy the pontons.

bcd1aec1141ac20608e1bbfbf09f0353.jpg

• Like! 1
  • 2 months later...
On 5/11/2022 at 4:46 AM, chattius said:

I was born in Wetzlar. My brother still lives in our mother's  house. Wetzlar builds a ponton bridge across the Lahn river each year in the summer months for 50 years now.  It is part training for the disaster relieve organisation (Techisches Hilfswerk) and a real shortcut for bicycles and walkers leading through a park on a river island towards the cathedrale.

Front old Lahn Bridge made from stone, behind the ponton bridge. On the left of the river is the bicycle street along the river. To be honest, I am more under than over the bridge, We use to do canoo trips on the Lahn.

1024px-Alte_Lahnbr%C3%BCcke_01_(Wetzlar,

The bridge is removed in winter because high water with its drifting trunks could destroy the pontons.

bcd1aec1141ac20608e1bbfbf09f0353.jpg

Being near the water must be a godsend in this hot water chattius... keep on canoeing!

:cow:

gogo

Im born in Poland and live in "Dąbrowa Górnicza"

One Year ago I decided move to Germany for starting new life and now im in Mönchengladbach ( Nordrhein-Westfalen )

143471583_122751449706117_2223953949834597783_n.jpg

Edited by DIOX
  • Like! 1

Hello and well met Diox! Im a food fan here so first thing I note is... how you compare the two countries food? :D
As well, now that you made the hard work to DarkMatters... time to avatar up monsieur!

:superman:

gogo

ps you can upload a pic by click upon your portrait, good one gets you access to our secret juice bar :devil:

We are the neighbors of Poland and Germany. so our kitchens are similar to each other. we eat things like sausage eggs potatoes ham cheese. That's why I like to live here because our kitchens are not very different and the Germans are quite nice people

Polish Lunch

24bf9df5e32913d2a636cf202c85c493.jpg.62d8a1bc57c1aa3a2fb22f06a652c65b.jpg

German Lunch639440468_Schnitzel-Sptzle.thumb.jpg.01d5c08c2d9ca4f3fa8fd319a506ec57.jpg

Germany has very tasty schnitzels and very tasty sausages, of course, I recommend it :)

• Like! 1
13 hours ago, DIOX said:

We are the neighbors of Poland and Germany. so our kitchens are similar to each other. we eat things like sausage eggs potatoes ham cheese. That's why I like to live here because our kitchens are not very different and the Germans are quite nice people

Polish Lunch

24bf9df5e32913d2a636cf202c85c493.jpg.62d8a1bc57c1aa3a2fb22f06a652c65b.jpg

German Lunch639440468_Schnitzel-Sptzle.thumb.jpg.01d5c08c2d9ca4f3fa8fd319a506ec57.jpg

Germany has very tasty schnitzels and very tasty sausages, of course, I recommend it :)

Welcome to both, the forum and Germany

Yes if you order a Schnitzel you get this and nearly every restaurant does more or less the same. But in Germany a Schnitzel can be like a pizza. The topping makes the difference, There are tons of different Schnitzels if you order more spezific. My favourite is Jäger(=Hunter)schnitzel mit Schupfnudeln. The classical Jäger was made with mushrooms, berries, vegs the hunter finds on his way home.

Schupfnudeln are thicker noodles made from potatoe. First made like a dumpling them roasted. I don't want to make the Canadians angry, but why do they not replace the french fries with Schupfnudeln and the sauce with a Jägersauce? That was more or less what I got when asking for a Poutine at the restaurant of a classmate - a former cook on a research ship in the antarctis. So he had to be good, else 200 angry people and no chance to leave the ship before half a year :)

wpid-dsc_0010.jpg

That was more or less what I got when asking for a Poutine at the restaurant of a classmate. Of cause no recipe without Quark

csm_Schupfnudel-Poutine2_55947095e1.jpg